Hearts vs Hibs academies

Rick James

The Griffiths thread got me thinking about this, which is a tad ironic given that he never came through either academy. But, I've always thought about this and even debated it with mates yet never really seen it discussed in the open. Is, or has there been, a clear difference in what both clubs look for in young talent coming through the youth systems?

Dare I say that over the last 20 years or so, Hibs have produced the better talent and reaped more reward from that compared to us financially. But many of these talents have portrayed bad boy images and never been far from a bit of scandal in the press. Even Jason Cummings who grew up a Jambo was binned by us but given that chance at Hibs yet still fitted in with many he followed in the footsteps of.

Seems to me like Hearts look at attitude and personality, whereas Hibs are quite happy to see past that and judge players more on their talent and ability. That's not a slight at Hibs and in some ways I respect the fact that they're prepared to give these guys the chance. But in doing so, they've probably dragged their own name through the mud a bit. While Hibs have sold more players on for big money to bigger clubs in that time frame, I'd say looking across the 4 divisions in Scotland, there's far more players who've come through at Hearts who might necessarily never hit the heights of stardom, but carve out a decent career for themselves in the game. I can't really recall many of our youth players being embroiled in much scandal or having much of a bad boy image.

Just coincidence? Or is there a clear clash of cultures between Hearts and Hibs philosophies when it comes to youth development?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Factuer Moi

• Footballfirst

• Thomaso

• sadj

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Locky said:

The Griffiths thread got me thinking about this, which is a tad ironic given that he never came through either academy. But, I've always thought about this and even debated it with mates yet never really seen it discussed in the open. Is, or has there been, a clear difference in what both clubs look for in young talent coming through the youth systems?

Dare I say that over the last 20 years or so, Hibs have produced the better talent and reaped more reward from that compared to us financially. But many of these talents have portrayed bad boy images and never been far from a bit of scandal in the press. Even Jason Cummings who grew up a Jambo was binned by us but given that chance at Hibs yet still fitted in with many he followed in the footsteps of.

Seems to me like Hearts look at attitude and personality, whereas Hibs are quite happy to see past that and judge players more on their talent and ability. That's not a slight at Hibs and in some ways I respect the fact that they're prepared to give these guys the chance. But in doing so, they've probably dragged their own name through the mud a bit. While Hibs have sold more players on for big money to bigger clubs in that time frame, I'd say looking across the 4 divisions in Scotland, there's far more players who've come through at Hearts who might necessarily never hit the heights of stardom, but carve out a decent career for themselves in the game. I can't really recall many of our youth players being embroiled in much scandal or having much of a bad boy image.

Just coincidence? Or is there a clear clash of cultures between Hearts and Hibs philosophies when it comes to youth development?

Pros and Cons for both clubs approaches like you say. One thing that sticks out is Hibs always seem to produce a decent striker every so often. Our best products of the youth system seem to be defenders and goal keepers. I had high hopes for Walker and Nicolson but they never seemed to hit the heights despite being good for Hearts. 

The last youth striker I can think of that had something about him was Carrick - just a shame injuries ruined his career at the top level. 

I’ve probably missed someone obvious out. 

Not a fan of Club Academies. Ours has been good up to under 18's , usually play a completey different style of football to the First team. That has been the case for well over a decade, possibly 3. The main issues are the actual product on show, i much prefer the system of picking players up from the juvenile clubs. City Academies would be more successful, each city has one or two complexes in the city they play in. This should be funded by a Government Sports body, not the SFA or the Clubs. The lack of success coming through as far as strikers go, well that one has not been solved since we signed a youngster who is known as Robbo.

Edited by Factuer Moi

Naisys Tackle

Both clubs' academies have been failures.  Not nearly enough end product.   Can't see it getting any better either now English sides finally got their act together ten years back and we will be picking up the scraps from there from now on in. 

Naisys Tackle
8 minutes ago, Boyces beard said:

It's possible we may have sold Craig Gordon for more than the combined sum they received for there so called golden generation.

Craig, Berra and Wallace are the only 3 successes in 20 years.  

I think playing at Riccarton does not help as it's very low key and a huge jump to go and play somewhere like Tynecastle. I would love to see a reserve league with games on at grounds but it will never happen. I remember if say we played up at Aberdeen the reserves played at the same time at Tynecastle and I would sometimes take in their game. 

5 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

No doubt, and i agree they have produced a better calibre of player and for that reason most likely have a more successful academy. However Craig Gordon i genuinely feel is/was world class.

The spoon burners have never produced a world class player, not one, not ever.

What's the sample size here?  20 years?

How many trophies have thier academy players won versus how many ours have?  Genuine question and no idea and no inclination to check!!!!!

We should definitelty have produced better, but there have been pretty valid (if the terrible running of our club financially and then the Levein tenure is allowed to be valid, haha!) reasons for ours and I'd suggest things may improve now.

We had an entire generation who were left to fend for the themselves and the fact that Walker and his age group did anything in the game is pretty amazing.  Then there was quite a break where the entire setup had been neglected cos of VR, admin etc, so needed to build root and branch.

Let's remember that up until that collapse, we'd had Gordon, Wallace, Berra, Robbie, and even the likes of Callum Elliot who had all the talent but probably fell foul of a less than focused and nurturing environment.  You'd say Paterson came through the VR years too I guess.  The academy was doing OK.  It was left to rot though.

Since then, we've seen Walker, King, Nicholson and whole bunch more (lets remember Hickey!) all been given decent game time and maybe just not hit heights.  Jack Hamilton, Dale Carrick, Cochrane, McDonald, McHattie, plenty have had opps but not made it for varying reasons.

The current crop, who knows.  Logan, Hamilton, McKirdy, Pollock.  Who knows how it'll work out for them.

Hibs had their golden - won heehaw - generation and very little since then other than the odd ned, as you say in the OP.  Yep the odd Oli Shaw type and now they'll point to Doig and Porteous, but they're run of the mill players, and we have better players in those positions, academy or not.

What I will say is I'd rather have our set up and our management structure in place right now against what they have at Hibs.  The situation we're going to have is that you're going to have to be very good to get in our team.  A year ago we were all debating Irving and even Cochrane.  With our current midfield, not a chance they're near this team.  If Pollock for example wants to push in to our team, he's going to have to be very very good and grab that chance if it comes.  And that's what we want.  Even look at Celtic, to their (yuck) credit, they've brought a few through in the last few years, but these guys know they need to be as good or better than what Celtic can buy.  They're not just dollied up chances in the team cos they came through the academy.

Always felt a bit like Hearts brought through more defensive players and Hibs brought through more forwards. I know it is a generalisation, and there are exceptions so please don't list them! It's just my perception...

Could be connected to the fact athough we've employed a balance of managers in last 20 years 3/5 of the time was under defenders (12 of 20 years)?

Defenders: Jeffries, Levein, Burley, Frail, Locke, Neilson

Midfielders: Rix (5mths), Laszlo (1.5yr), Korobochka (10mth) McGlynn (8mths)

Strikers: Ivanauskas(1.5yr), Paulo Sergio (1yr) , Robertson (1.5Yr), Stendel (6mths)

Edited by Spellczech

5 minutes ago, jimbojambo said:

I think playing at Riccarton does not help as it's very low key and a huge jump to go and play somewhere like Tynecastle. I would love to see a reserve league with games on at grounds but it will never happen. I remember if say we played up at Aberdeen the reserves played at the same time at Tynecastle and I would sometimes take in their game. 

It's massive mate.  The biggest thing that needs sorted to help Scottish football as a whole produce first team ready players is a reserve league, or u23 or whatever it may be.

Problem is too much in fighting.

As you say, it'll never be how it used to be when there was genuine pressure on reserve games - I remember often going to reserve matches with decent crowds as a kid.  But they still need that experience of playing games against older often better players.  For match sharpness if nothing else.  It simply wouldn't be fair to throw Cammy Logan or Finlay Pollock in to our team as they've had zero minutes in any type of meaningful game all season - injured so no loans and can't build up in the reserves.  it's mental!!

2 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

It's massive mate.  The biggest thing that needs sorted to help Scottish football as a whole produce first team ready players is a reserve league, or u23 or whatever it may be.

As you say, it'll never be how it used to be when there was genuine pressure on reserve games - I remember often going to reserve matches with decent crowds as a kid.  But they still need that experience of playing games against older often better players.  For match sharpness if nothing else.  It simply wouldn't be fair to throw Cammy Logan or Finlay Pollock in to our team as they've had zero minutes in any type of meaningful game all season - injured so no loans and can't build up in the reserves.  it's mental!!

Its a good point. The season we were relegated with the points penalty and forced to play mainly youngsters was a good example. The last 5 or 6 games Hearts played some of the best football I've seen (disclaimer - memory not always great).  Was that a combination of getting a good run in the team, having 4 or 5 of the youngsters thrown in together giving them confidence or simply getting physically stronger towards the end of the season. Obviously we then skooshed  one of the hardest championships there has been with the same youngsters (and some good additions). It then all went to sh1t again.

22 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Hickey and Paterson must be considered successes.

Marc Leonard is close to breaking into a Premier league club.

Eggert Jonsson played well over 100 games and I only just found this out but he left us for Premiership Wolves.

Almost the entire squad of the 13/14 campaign has to be considered a success to some degree. I suppose it depends how we're measuring success.

Andy Driver, The McGowan Brothers? Can't say winning a scottish cup isn't a success.

39 minutes ago, Boyces beard said:

It's possible we may have sold Craig Gordon for more than the combined sum they received for there so called golden generation.

Correct.

It's probably fairly even when it comes to the number of decent SPL level players. Although we have produced the top 4 in the last 20 years imo. 

Gordon

Wallace

Berra

Patterson 

Funnily enough they fill the top spots for wasted talent. 

Edit: Forgot about S Brown, regrettably falls somewhere in top 3. 

Edited by EH11 2NL

26 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

You are such a quality poster, the one thing that stands out at the present time is the change in our club from top to bottom. It is clear we intend to and are changing how the Academy is structured, severing itself from the community side of the club. Reductions have been made due to Covid, it is the intention to have a smaller intake. Not sure what the situation is right now, the next few years will show if these changes have been made. Playing the same football as the First team would help matters. It is a waste of time if you over do the Academy, this has been the main problem since Vlad was reported as putting £5M  into the pot back in the day. As said in another post, a reserve league would vastly improve the standard and mindset of our prospective talents.

Edited by Factuer Moi

2 minutes ago, Factuer Moi said:

You are such a quality poster, the one thing that stands out at the present time is the change in our club from top to bottom. It is clear we intend to and are changing how the Academy is structured, severing itself from the community side of the club. Reductions have been made due to Covid, it is the intention to have a smaller intake. Not sure what the situation is right now, the next few years will show if these changes have been made. Playing the same football as the First team would help matters. It is a waste of time if you over do the Academy, this has been the main porblem since Vlad was reported as putting £5M  into the pot back in the day. As said in another post, a reserve league would vastly improve the standard and mindset of our prospective talents.

Aw shucks!

Our best 19s/reserve team over the last 20 years was in around the start of the Romanov years. 

Jamie Mac, Wallace, Berra, Jason Thomson, Calum Elliot, Driver. Sure they won the Milk cup.  

I’d also guess that we have reaped more benefits from our academy than theirs. I’ve said this a few times recently but Hibs have sold 1 (ONE!) player in the last decade for a million or more and he wasn’t an academy player. Hibs have more myths than the bible.

When you put Craig Levein in charge, it’s no wonder our numbers have been dire. Before that, Vlad showed little interest in youth development which probably goes a long way to explaining a lot of the problems. 

I don’t think either club has done well on this front though. Hibs golden generation I don’t think they followed up on because every penny got sucked up by that stadium that’s about 5k too big for them. 

21 minutes ago, DS98 said:

I’d also guess that we have reaped more benefits from our academy than theirs. I’ve said this a few times recently but Hibs have sold 1 (ONE!) player in the last decade for a million or more and he wasn’t an academy player.

All joking aside that's really surprised me, thought they would've got some good fees for some of the Lennon team that finished 3rd

The number of teams in the SPL has a huge impact on producing talent. For most Scottish kids to make it in English premier he really needs to have at least 100 appearances in the SPL by the time he's 20. From there they then have time to improve in England which is obviously a higher level. Teams in Scotland find it hard to play youngsters because you are only 4 or 5 losses from relegation. A bigger league would enable teams who are safe from relegation to throw young players in. Nothing will change apart from the odd exceptional player coming through. Look at the Scottish guys who have made a decent living in England they were all playing In the SPL in their teens.

Byyy The Light
1 hour ago, Factuer Moi said:

Not a fan of Club Academies. Ours has been good up to under 18's , usually play a completey different style of football to the First team. That has been the case for well over a decade, possibly 3. The main issues are the actual product on show, i much prefer the system of picking players up from the juvenile clubs. City Academies would be more successful, each city has one or two complexes in the city they play in. This should be funded by a Government Sports body, not the SFA or the Clubs. The lack of success coming through as far as strikers go, well that one has not been solved since we signed a youngster who is known as Robbo.

Tend to agree. Build out regional performance schools and get professional coaches in paid decent salaries and make coaching a viable career.

I’d fund it via a mix of clubs in that region, SFA, Government subsidy and development fees from clubs.

Link it to full time education too to help these young guys who’ve went off the rails screw the nut a bit.

Have a summer league where punters can go and get their football fix watching the next generation of talent.

Edinburgh v Glasgow

Tayside v Aberdeen

Ayr v Lanark etc

Then get a decent reserve set up where they can play against experienced players.

Academies are a false economy imo.

12 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Tend to agree. Build out regional performance schools and get professional coaches in paid decent salaries and make coaching a viable career.

I’d fund it via a mix of clubs in that region, SFA, Government subsidy and development fees from clubs.

Link it to full time education too to help these young guys who’ve went off the rails screw the nut a bit.

Have a summer league where punters can go and get their football fix watching the next generation of talent.

Edinburgh v Glasgow

Tayside v Aberdeen

Ayr v Lanark etc

Then get a decent reserve set up where they can play against experienced players.

Academies are a false economy imo.

I suspect the Academy was some brain child due to the Continental set up, someone forgot to tell them it is ****ing Scotland ( the weather is not good for Italian or Spanish thighs)  and the kids need the facilities to be open and free to play on. The coaches in Scotland who operate at the grass roots level and into the tier system are in need of heavy funding by the Sports bodies, only then can they command the right salary allowing them to concentrate on what they are good.  Far to many are jugling semi pro and school sessions to get in soe cash. I won't name anyone because they are a dirty Hibby ******* is in that predicament, looking likely that he will be moving into the big time soon as a coach/manager. I am all for change as long as it suits the climate and culture of the region, giving the kids an interest away from the screen is a challenge in itself these days. Bin the Academy and become part of the bigger picture.

Edited by Factuer Moi

50 minutes ago, jager man said:

The number of teams in the SPL has a huge impact on producing talent. For most Scottish kids to make it in English premier he really needs to have at least 100 appearances in the SPL by the time he's 20. From there they then have time to improve in England which is obviously a higher level. Teams in Scotland find it hard to play youngsters because you are only 4 or 5 losses from relegation. A bigger league would enable teams who are safe from relegation to throw young players in. Nothing will change apart from the odd exceptional player coming through. Look at the Scottish guys who have made a decent living in England they were all playing In the SPL in their teens.

The function of Scottish academies is not to produce players for English leagues.

1 hour ago, OTT said:

When you put Craig Levein in charge, it’s no wonder our numbers have been dire. Before that, Vlad showed little interest in youth development which probably goes a long way to explaining a lot of the problems. 

I don’t think either club has done well on this front though. Hibs golden generation I don’t think they followed up on because every penny got sucked up by that stadium that’s about 5k too big for them. 

What a load of shite. Normal for you though. 

The Vlad bit is probably fair enough but he also invested in it , however toward the end it was just decimated. Hibs “golden generation” would never have left Hibs it Celtic hadn’t bought most of them (this may not be factually correct but feels like it). They have produced very little and what O said above is pretty much spot on imo. 

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Really? What about Severin, J MacDonald, Driver, Walker, Nicolson, Patterson, Neilson, McGowan, Jonsson - lots of internationals or at minimum very good players who have had or are having good long term careers. Others like Webster, Temps, Kirk and Hickey have come to us at a very young age and we've developed them. 

The list of players Hibs have brought through - either from their youth ranks or brought in at a young age - is considerably shorter and none of their careers have hit the heights some of those players have. Which Hibs players moved to England and succeeded the way some of that list have, or became established internationals? Brown is really the only one and he never proved himself in England. Fletcher maybe.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Mr Brightside
1 hour ago, boag1874 said:

All joking aside that's really surprised me, thought they would've got some good fees for some of the Lennon team that finished 3rd

Only player they have sold from that team is McGinn and they didn’t finish as high as 3rd think it was 4th behind the OF and Aberdeen.

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, OTT said:

Before that, Vlad showed little interest in youth development which probably goes a long way to explaining a lot of the problems. 

Vlad did have an interest in youth development. However it was focused on brining on mainly Lithuanian youngsters in the 16-18 age range, only one of which could be deemed as "making it", Arvydas Novikovas. Names of the top of my head included Snapkauskas, Kapustas, Zukovas, Petkus

He also opened up our youth recruitment outside Scotland such as Jonsson, McGowan(x2), Prychynenko, Ogleby, Wagner, Kostadinov, Copil

21 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

Only player they have sold from that team is McGinn and they didn’t finish as high as 3rd think it was 4th behind the OF and Aberdeen.

So it was, forgot Aberdeen finished 2nd to split the OF, just remember we fecked their own chances of 2nd on the penultimate day of the season when Naisy scored & he shouldn’t have been allowed to play:pleasing:

Guest ToqueJambo
27 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Vlad did have an interest in youth development. However it was focused on brining on mainly Lithuanian youngsters in the 16-18 age range, only one of which could be deemed as "making it", Arvydas Novikovas. Names of the top of my head included Snapkauskas, Kapustas, Zukovas, Petkus

He also opened up our youth recruitment outside Scotland such as Jonsson, McGowan(x2), Prychynenko, Ogleby, Wagner, Kostadinov, Copil

Vlad, for all his faults, basically did what Hibs, Celtic and Aberdeen are doing - made use of his contacts in another country to try to find hidden gems. And he got slated for it, unlike those other clubs right now. Put it this way I haven't heard talk of all the "Yanks" and "****" (short version of Japanese people, no different from Liths IMO - as both are used in a derogatory way - but I can see why it's censored) coming in and preventing good Scottish laddies from getting games.

And teams under Vlad always had a core of Scottish players, usually Hearts youth products, often more so than the other teams we played.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, boag1874 said:

That's the Hibs spin machine for you when it comes to pimping out their own players and trying to inflate their value.

Their own fans, despite all the evidence of their own eyes, actually seemed to believe they were turning down million or multi-million pound bids for Porteous, Doig and Nisbet.

Struggling to think of who has come through Hibs academy.

Certainly they've had supposedly great prospects in last few years who then disappear. 

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, damo said:

Its a good point. The season we were relegated with the points penalty and forced to play mainly youngsters was a good example. The last 5 or 6 games Hearts played some of the best football I've seen (disclaimer - memory not always great).  Was that a combination of getting a good run in the team, having 4 or 5 of the youngsters thrown in together giving them confidence or simply getting physically stronger towards the end of the season. Obviously we then skooshed  one of the hardest championships there has been with the same youngsters (and some good additions). It then all went to sh1t again.

Still maintain Gary Locke did a brilliant job that season nursing those youngsters through a difficult season while keeping their heads and confidence levels up and getting a few genuinely excellent performances from them. To actually earn more points than Hibs was some achievement and many of the players progressed their careers quite well. Doesn't get enough recognition for it and I'd be happy to see him as part of future Hearts coaching teams, for morale and motivation reasons alone.

7 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Vlad, for all his faults, basically did what Hibs, Celtic and Aberdeen are doing - made use of his contacts in another country to try to find hidden gems. And he got slated for it, unlike those other clubs right now. Put it this way I haven't heard talk of all the "Yanks" and "****" (short version of Japanese people, no different from Liths IMO - especially as Liths was used in a derogatory way - but I can see why it's censored) coming in and preventing good Scottish laddies from getting games.

And teams under Vlad always had a core of Scottish players, usually Hearts youth products, often more so than the other teams we played.

Yeah, remember in Vlads first couple of years it was 100% pitched as Hearts megaucks, foreign nobodies bullying young, honest Scottish Hibs.

Only you look at the derbies and we had a younger average age and more Scots than them!! 

Hibs are built on myths.  The stat above re only one player over £1m in the last decade is priceless.  Ask almost anyone in Scottish football and they'll tell you Hibs produce great talent and make loads out of it.  Nope - they just say they do.  And that's the thing about all their myths, they're so easily fact checked.  Christ even the way they play football.  Just watch a game or two!!!

Cos that's the other thing over the last 20 years or so there's this thing of big fizzicul Hertz against the poetic flairmasters.  Almost every derby we ever see, Hearts are the ones trying to play some football.  So so many Hibs have basically tried to kick their way through the game massively unsuccesfully.  Obviously there are exceptions, but that's the general thrust of Edinburgh derbies.  But they need a comfort blanket.

Arseholes.

7 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Certainly they've had supposedly great prospects in last few years who then disappear. 

Is Shaw not with Bayern or Juve or something now?

1 hour ago, briever said:

The function of Scottish academies is not to produce players for English leagues.

Never said it was. Although selling players to English clubs helps fund our academies. Always has always will. Whether you like it or not.

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yeah, remember in Vlads first couple of years it was 100% pitched as Hearts megaucks, foreign nobodies bullying young, honest Scottish Hibs.

Only you look at the derbies and we had a younger average age and more Scots than them!! 

Hibs are built on myths.  The stat above re only one player over £1m in the last decade is priceless.  Ask almost anyone in Scottish football and they'll tell you Hibs produce great talent and make loads out of it.  Nope - they just say they do.  And that's the thing about all their myths, they're so easily fact checked.  Christ even the way they play football.  Just watch a game or two!!!

Cos that's the other thing over the last 20 years or so there's this thing of big fizzicul Hertz against the poetic flairmasters.  Almost every derby we ever see, Hearts are the ones trying to play some football.  So so many Hibs have basically tried to kick their way through the game massively unsuccesfully.  Obviously there are exceptions, but that's the general thrust of Edinburgh derbies.  But they need a comfort blanket.

Arseholes.

Foreign nobodies was exactly how they talked about our players. Players like Cesnauskis, Novi , Miko and Zali were actually very good players. A couple of them made as big or bigger an impact than the foreign players other clubs sign every season. Novi's gone on to have a terrific career with loads of caps. Of course others came and went with just couple of games and no impact but that happens at every Scottish club every season. Elements of the Scottish press really showed their true colours during that period.

Edited by ToqueJambo

7 minutes ago, jager man said:

Never said it was. Although selling players to English clubs helps fund our academies. Always has always will. Whether you like it or not.

Doesn't work out though, that is the main point. Pointless right now, until it has a structure that provides the First team squad. So many of our young talent were drafted in through need rather than the top talent. There are those who have been named that have been successful, the present time looks sparce due to covid restrictions cut backs, the badly structured league system between youth and the first team needs worked on. Not many have went directly from our academy and straight into a top side that i can recall, we do not have the right set up to produce the converbelt we all desire. Our players should be schooled at our Academy from the age of 14, live within the grounds as part of the Campus. Those identified would then be front runners to the second or B team, the B team route is the right direction as the Old Firm have sides competing at a good level. That for me would change a lot of the causes for the lacking of produce right now or over the next 3 years .

Edited by Factuer Moi

Guest ToqueJambo
18 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Their supposed best prospect right now came through our academy 🤣 Not sure what that says about us or them. Given Doig's opportunities were hampered by an excellent young player being ahead of him, same as with Calum Patterson and Liam Smith, I'll go with it reflecting worse on Hibs.

1 hour ago, sadj said:

What a load of shite. Normal for you though. 

The Vlad bit is probably fair enough but he also invested in it , however toward the end it was just decimated. Hibs “golden generation” would never have left Hibs it Celtic hadn’t bought most of them (this may not be factually correct but feels like it). They have produced very little and what O said above is pretty much spot on imo. 

So tell me what exactly did Levein improve at the Academy?

3 hours ago, Boyces beard said:

No doubt, and i agree they have produced a better calibre of player and for that reason most likely have a more successful academy. However Craig Gordon i genuinely feel is/was world class.

The spoon burners have never produced a world class player, not one, not ever.

Broon at his peak was pretty outstanding at times to be fair.

Just now, Thomaso said:

So tell me what exactly did Levein improve at the Academy?

24 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Arseholes.

😍😍😍

2 minutes ago, sadj said:

😍😍😍

Doesnt answer my question - tell me how Levein improved our Academy?

8 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Broon at his peak was pretty outstanding at times to be fair.

He was, but you can't mention Scott Brown and world class in the same breath mate.

Edited by Boyces beard

7 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

He had 4 finger KitKats added to the canteen.

Ah so that was the “fantastic work” the Levein fanboys rambled on about! 😉

1 minute ago, Boyces beard said:

He was, but you can't mention Scott Brown and world class in the same sentence mate.

I'm just picking chunks of spew out my keyboard :(

Just now, Thomaso said:

Ah so that was the “fantastic work” the Levein fanboys rambled on about! 😉

He broke the news to Robbie by handing him a note from the stand at Pittodrie