• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marvin

• JWL

• obua

• redjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yup. I'm in too. Good fun, and it's nice that there's only one a day so that getting hooked doesn't take up too much time.

29 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

enjoyed it a couple of times. reminds me of a word version of the old mastermind game I played growing up.

Indeed. I used to enjoy playing Mastermind as a kid. :thumb:

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, redjambo said:

Yup. I'm in too. Good fun, and it's nice that there's only one a day so that getting hooked doesn't take up too much time.

Simple stuff but amazing how you can go from picking any five letter word in the English dictionary to cracking the answer in a couple of steps. 

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Indeed. I used to enjoy playing Mastermind as a kid. :thumb:

Ooh, I was good at that.

Go on. I've got 4 pegs from 6 colours right here (Red, Blue, Pink, White, Maroon and Yellow). Doubles and more allowed. Guess them left to right. I'll give you a black peg for right colour in the right place; white if it's the right colour in the wrong place. 12 guesses.

5 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Ooh, I was good at that.

Go on. I've got 4 pegs from 6 colours right here (Red, Blue, Pink, White, Maroon and Yellow). Doubles and more allowed. Guess them left to right. I'll give you a black peg for right colour in the right place; white if it's the right colour in the wrong place. 12 guesses.

:D

Blue Yellow Maroon Red

2 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Have seen this mentioned a lot on Twitter but didn't know what it was.

Just got my 1st word right on the 5th guess. *******

There's always one who gives the game away. :)

Just now, I P Knightley said:

Good start.

3 whites

I'm assuming Maroon has to be in there. :D

Maroon Red Yellow Pink

I P Knightley
Just now, redjambo said:

I'm assuming Maroon has to be in there. :D

Maroon Red Yellow Pink

We couldn't have green in the JKB edition, could we?

Two white, one black.

We couldn't have green in the JKB edition, could we?

Two white, one black.

Third go.

Maroon White Red Yellow

I P Knightley
9 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Just got my 1st word right on the 5th guess. *****.

So everyone gets the same word on the same day. We live and learn.

7 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Back to 3 whites

Sorry I'm taking so long! :D

Can't get anything to fit logically yet.

Wow!

4 blacks in 4 moves.

Yeehah! Sorry for taking so long though. If I had taken that long as a kid, my opponent would have probably called me a w*nker and wandered off to have a game of Space Invaders or something.

I'll reciprocate if you would like, but I need to dash out now (I needed to dash out earlier but you hooked me right and proper). :)

2 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Just got my 1st word right on the 5th guess. Proxy.

What a *****.

18 day streak for me. 

I P Knightley
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

One black.

Ooh. This could either be going well or remarkably badly.

Maroon, Yellow, Yellow, Yellow

I P Knightley
3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Well it's an interesting technique you have. :)

One black.

It averages at 6 attempts per code

Maroon, Red, Red, Red

Aha! Being disloyal to the maroon!!

Pink, Blue, Yellow, White

Two blacks, two whites.

Pink, Yellow, Blue, White.

Ta-Daah!

Bravo! Very average indeed. ;)

So how does this technique of yours work then?

I P Knightley
6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Bravo! Very average indeed. ;)

So how does this technique of yours work then?

First guess: three of one colour, one of another. When you gave me one black, the odds were that it was one of the three maroons so I eliminated white. Had you given me a white, the odds would have been that it was the solo colour.

Second attempt: try to find out which of the three maroons was the one that gave me a black and then try to find the next colour by putting another three down. Your black 'confirmed' to me that the maroon was in spot 1 and that there were no blues.

Next attempt, similar: I 'knew' spot 1 was maroon and there were no yellows.

After the 4th go, I was able to reverse the conclusion from the first step (i) there were no maroons and (ii) the 4th spot was white. I also knew that there was only one blue and only one yellow in spots 2 and 3 but not which way round. Spot 1 had to be either pink or another white.

3 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

First guess: three of one colour, one of another. When you gave me one black, the odds were that it was one of the three maroons so I eliminated white. Had you given me a white, the odds would have been that it was the solo colour.

Second attempt: try to find out which of the three maroons was the one that gave me a black and then try to find the next colour by putting another three down. Your black 'confirmed' to me that the maroon was in spot 1 and that there were no blues.

Next attempt, similar: I 'knew' spot 1 was maroon and there were no yellows.

After the 4th go, I was able to reverse the conclusion from the first step (i) there were no maroons and (ii) the 4th spot was white. I also knew that there was only one blue and only one yellow in spots 2 and 3 but not which way round. Spot 1 had to be either pink or another white.

Interesting. You've taken all the magic away from it though. ;)

I have to admit that when I guessed yours, I was extremely fortunate that I had your three colours as part of my four in my first guess, and then that I chose those three colours to stick with and get my info. However, I also should have been *much* quicker with step 4. It completely slipped my mind that we were allowed duplicate colours, even though you'd clearly stated it. In saying that, after my first 3 guesses, it was impossible (I think) to find a solution with four different colours. I fannied around for a long period of time trying different permutations and wondering why none of them would work before I had my "Duh!" moment and realised there was a duplicate in there. Not my finest moment. :D

If you want, I can give you another shot, but this time with the rule that there can't be more than 2 of the same colour, neither in the solution or the guesses. That'll stop you using your fancy dan technique.

I P Knightley
8 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Interesting. You've taken all the magic away from it though. ;)

I have to admit that when I guessed yours, I was extremely fortunate that I had your three colours as part of my four in my first guess, and then that I chose those three colours to stick with and get my info. However, I also should have been *much* quicker with step 4. It completely slipped my mind that we were allowed duplicate colours, even though you'd clearly stated it. In saying that, after my first 3 guesses, it was impossible (I think) to find a solution with four different colours. I fannied around for a long period of time trying different permutations and wondering why none of them would work before I had my "Duh!" moment and realised there was a duplicate in there. Not my finest moment. :D

If you want, I can give you another shot, but this time with the rule that there can't be more than 2 of the same colour, neither in the solution or the guesses. That'll stop you using your fancy dan technique.

No thanks. Fancy Dan or nothing :biglaugh:

Samuel Camazzola
6 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Just got my 1st word right on the 5th guess. Proxy.

:facepalm:

:rofl: