• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Canscot

• Morgan

• Unknown user

• Bazzas right boot

No big surprise there. 
Just waiting for the straight downward spiral to commence ala Rearend and others. How is he going to feed all those bairns he has running around now?🤦‍♂️

Edited by Canscot

luckyBatistuta

Ah well, started life hanging around the streets of Leith, maybe he’ll be back on the streets of Leith in the not too distant future😁 I hear the fit ‘o’ the walk is a lovely place these days😖

WheatfieldWarrior
32 minutes ago, Factuer Moi said:

more  a finger than a thumb

Yep, 'Thumb given the Finger'  would be my backpage headline.

Pretty sure he's mentally fragile given his history and that's a tragedy.

Terrific player who should be at the height of his powers.

Would be happy for him to be banging in the goals for us for the next 3 years but simply not going to happen.

Feel very sorry for him.

A hard guy to like but such a wasted talent.

His two international goals against England were top drawer.

Also scored a couple against us.

Not many people get these chances in life

5 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Ah well, started life hanging around the streets of Leith, maybe he’ll be back on the streets of Leith in the not too distant future😁 I hear the fit ‘o’ the walk is a lovely place these days😖

He will get a pub from Paul Kane to run 😂 

Wouldn’t a ‘This is your life’ type of show be brilliant if they had a Hibs show with the guests being

Riordon, O’Connor, Griffiths 

I’d pay to watch that

7 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Wouldn’t a ‘This is your life’ type of show be brilliant if they had a Hibs show with the guests being

Riordon, O’Connor, Griffiths 

I’d pay to watch that

With Stokes as the host. 

4 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Would be happy for him to be banging in the goals for us for the next 3 years but simply not going to happen.

Feel very sorry for him.

Also in this camp, some people have short memories.

Clearly the issues hes had over the years have spilled into impacting his mental state footballing wise. Unless he has the right folk around him (which he clearly hasnt the past few years) then he might struggle to come to terms with the fact his career is done and that he failed to fill his potential.

O’Connor, Riordan and Griffiths has been like watching the same film three times. It’s criminal how much talent they have wasted between them because they couldn’t get their heads on straight.

4 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Feel very sorry for him.

Do you really?

8 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Also in this camp, some people have short memories.

Clearly the issues hes had over the years have spilled into impacting his mental state footballing wise. Unless he has the right folk around him (which he clearly hasnt the past few years) then he might struggle to come to terms with the fact his career is done and that he failed to fill his potential.

Were you one of the ones shouting abuse at him at the games though? You can’t just have concerns for his mental health now 

5 minutes ago, sassenach said:

When he lined up the first of his free kicks against England I told my son-in-law what was about to happen, because I 100% knew.

I'm not going to comment one way or the other about his mental health, because none of us actually knows him.  But with maroon-tinted glasses firmly off, it's just such a shame how his talent has being unfulfilled.

I thought after the England game the lad had to go back down south or abroad would of had a decent career, But at the time he was winning leagues with Celtic he maybe thought he wouldn't play for anyone bigger than Celtic and he got homesick when he was at Wolves 5hrs in the car.  

Edited by Stu_HMFC

jamboinglasgow

Leigh Griffiths career is a funny one, he has played 501 competitive club games and scored 236 goals, that is almost 1 in 2 over a long career. In 2015/16 season he scored 41 goals in 50 apperances for Celtic, which is an impressive amount. 

However I was amazed to find out he is only 31. After a mix of recent seasons including one where he took a break from unknown reasons, he has dropped off completely. I do wonder if among a number things there is a bit of burnout from him, when you start so young and play so many games it will have a toll later on in your career. I am sure he will be picked up by another club but he has gone downhill so quickly. 

Personally think the best thing he could do is get a move abroad, a la Anthony Stokes. Think he needs a break away from the limelight and the goldfish bowl that is Scotland.

Rivalry aside, he is a player of terrific talent and dare I say the best striker Scotland have developed in the past 20 years. Just sadly he's let too much nonsense define him and his career.

Glamorgan Jambo

Hard to put Griffiths in the same box

as Riordan and O’Connor. Has achieved way more than those two whose football

careers were essentially over before they turned 30.

Yes he has squandered his talent but I’m sure he’ll find a club at a decent level for the next few years.

5 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Feel very sorry for him.

No chance.  He is not, and never was, Hearts class.  I'd also doubt he'd be banging in the goals.

I don't doubt with a bit of guidance and support he could have turned out differently, but unfortunately he has done exactly what a long list of ex-Hibs strikers have done before him; pish it all up the wall.  Who has let him down, be it the clubs, his social circle, or just himself is up for debate, but the outcome is the same. 

You could argue that clubs have a greater duty of care to support their players, but at the end of the day they're not responsible for what he does in his spare time, and he has made some incredibly poor decisions.  Being in the public eye all the time cannot be healthy for you, but that can't just be a catch all excuse.

He might have his demons, but let's not pretend that he wasn't a complete ***** at the same time.  Some of his behaviour was inexcusable and you can't just blame mental health for it, especially the stuff that was investigated by the Police (not just the recent accusations either).  

I don't see a way back for him, at least in this country.  He'll never get away from fans having a go at him.

41 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Dundee will either sign him on a permanent contract or Livingston will offer one to him.  

Dundee tried to return him early from his loan, I'd be surprised

6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Dundee tried to return him early from his loan, I'd be surprised

Really FFS! Martindale will take him under his flappy wing another crook or maybe a move to Morton with another in Dougie Imrie 

6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I can’t think of many other players less suited to a move abroad. Footballing wise he probably could, as a person no chance. 

Screenshot 2022-01-18 at 09.52.43.png

A_A wehatethehibs

“Going to the old firm shows more ambition than going to England”

Its quite tragic to imagine the player Griffiths could have been if he stayed at Wolves as a 23 year old, knuckled down and followed them on their upward path in a proper professional setup, pushed himself and developed himself. He would have been the best CF Scotland had produced since Dalglish. Instead he’s another Riordan. Hibs Fud. 

21 minutes ago, Locky said:

Personally think the best thing he could do is get a move abroad, a la Anthony Stokes. Think he needs a break away from the limelight and the goldfish bowl that is Scotland.

Rivalry aside, he is a player of terrific talent and dare I say the best striker Scotland have developed in the past 20 years. Just sadly he's let too much nonsense define him and his career.

Yip, he needs to get away from here. USA or Oz. A bit sun and away from all the shite around the old firm and Scotland.

5 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Really FFS! Martindale will take him under his flappy wing another crook or maybe a move to Morton with another in Dougie Imrie 

That's what's kicked this off. Dundee had him on loan for the full season and wanted to end it early but Celtic didn't want him back

Bazzas right boot

Wouldn't suprised me if he takes his own life at some point, so I'll hold back on the abuse. 

The guy has issues that go way  beyond football. 

Such a wasted talent. 

10 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I can’t think of many other players less suited to a move abroad. Footballing wise he probably could, as a person no chance. 

3 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

How about the one branded a delusional drug addict by his russian club?

Lokomotiv-Moscow-Garry-OConnor-2006.jpg

4 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Yip, he needs to get away from here. USA or Oz. A bit sun and away from all the shite around the old firm and Scotland.

MLS or Australia would be great for him definitely. No doubt there'll be offers from Iran or Saudi too. MLS starts pre-season training soon so we'll find out pretty soon if any teams want to take the punt.

2 minutes ago, Locky said:

MLS or Australia would be great for him definitely. No doubt there'll be offers from Iran or Saudi too. MLS starts pre-season training soon so we'll find out pretty soon if any teams want to take the punt.

He'd probably fit in well at one of the southern states TBF

1 hour ago, Doc Rob said:

O’Connor, Riordan and Griffiths has been like watching the same film three times. It’s criminal how much talent they have wasted between them because they couldn’t get their heads on straight.

Sounds like the cast list for Trainspotting 3 

Edited by Firefox

jamboinglasgow
26 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Funnily enough was talking about that with a friend recently, how mad that he went to China, and this was before they started paying daft wages. Riorden was one who should have moved out of Scotland when he first left hibs rather than Celtic. Thats a career that had great promise but given to a person who wasted it.

19 minutes ago, Clark Griswold said:

Anyway, I reckon he could end up back at hibs

Maybe - though I have my doubts. I don’t think Maloney will want his personal baggage anywhere near them.  Lower end of the league or possibly a Championship side. He’ll be out of the game soon though.

A_A wehatethehibs
8 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Maybe - though I have my doubts. I don’t think Maloney will want his personal baggage anywhere near them.  Lower end of the league or possibly a Championship side. He’ll be out of the game soon though.

Unless he loses Boyle in which case it’s panic stations on the “where are the goals coming from?” question over at the Methadrome 

40 minutes ago, Clark Griswold said:

Anyway, I reckon he could end up back at hibs

He isn't good enough for Dundee any more, no danger IMO

N Lincs Jambo
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

“Going to the old firm shows more ambition than going to England”

Its quite tragic to imagine the player Griffiths could have been if he stayed at Wolves as a 23 year old, knuckled down and followed them on their upward path in a proper professional setup, pushed himself and developed himself. He would have been the best CF Scotland had produced since Dalglish. Instead he’s another Riordan. Hibs Fud. 

Good point A_A. If you look back at Wolves loanees there's another one who played in the 5-1 at Hampden who went back down south and whose career has blossomed. Matt Doherty. Talent wise Griffiths was by far the most capable player Hibs had that day.

Howdy Doody Jambo

Dick Campbell should get him up to Arbroath in that Maroon strip the smell of kippers in the sea air would sort him oot, great goals versus England but should have could have spring to mind