Ribena

Captain Slog

My missus just returned to Kansas with a taste for British things.

Fourteen bucks for Ribena though in a Kansas shop?

That's worse than me paying ten quid for a packet of cheesy Cheetoes in one of those American shops in Edinburgh.

Kalamazoo Jambo

Can only occasionally find it locally so I normally have to resort to Amazon. $19.88 for 2 big bottles (1500ml each). 

Don’t talk about prices for ‘British products’.  They are wild here.

£9 odds for Heinz salad cream.

About 4 quid for a wee packet of chocolate digestives.

Colmans mustard?  About a fiver.

Cadburys chocolate., wow, don’t even go there.

Heinz Baked Beans?   Forget it.

A Boy Named Crow

Irn Bru is now $2.35 per can in Sydney. It's actually come down in the last few years...I reckon the new shit isn't selling!

Samuel Camazzola
39 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Don’t talk about prices for ‘British products’.  They are wild here.

£9 odds for Heinz salad cream.

About 4 quid for a wee packet of chocolate digestives.

Colmans mustard?  About a fiver.

Cadburys chocolate., wow, don’t even go there.

Heinz Baked Beans?   Forget it.

Do you have an Aldi in your area of France, Morgan? Most of their versions of what you've quoted are just as good at a snip of the price. 

31 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Irn Bru is now $2.35 per can in Sydney. It's actually come down in the last few years...I reckon the new shit isn't selling!

Always found Oz Irn Bru to taste a bit flat.

52 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Do you have an Aldi in your area of France, Morgan? Most of their versions of what you've quoted are just as good at a snip of the price. 

Not Salad Cream. Heinz Salad Cream is genius. If I wax abroad, I'd pay the 9 bucks. 

A Boy Named Crow
43 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Always found Oz Irn Bru to taste a bit flat.

Even before they changed the Irn Bru recipe back home, it was different here - it was often caffeine free, but you had to read the fine print on the can to know if you were buying a dud.

She was homesick and had to make stovies with corned beef too, although thats cheaper in merka apparently,  No Lorne there

12 hours ago, Savage Vince said:

Not Salad Cream. Heinz Salad Cream is genius. If I wax abroad, I'd pay the 9 bucks. 

Smooth operator.

12 hours ago, Captain Slog said:

She was homesick and had to make stovies with corned beef too, although thats cheaper in merka apparently,  No Lorne there

If it makes her feel any better, I've lived here all my life and never had stovies with Lorne. Only corned beef.

33 minutes ago, Locky said:

If it makes her feel any better, I've lived here all my life and never had stovies with Lorne. Only corned beef.

Philistine. 

3 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Philistine. 

:lol: Honestly, everywhere I've ever been for stovies, its always came with corned beef. Never actually personally knew anyone to do it with Lorne. My ex's Dad did do sausage stovies from time to time, but was **** all like actual stovies.

14 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Yes, Samuel, there is an Aldi in the town next to us and a really big Aldi in Nice

57 minutes ago, Locky said:

Corned beef or sausages is how my mum used to make them.

14 hours ago, Savage Vince said:

Indeed, Salad Cream is brilliant stuff.

37 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Corned beef or sausages is how my mum used to make them.

My Grandad used to do it with corned beef and lashings of curry powder through the mashed tattie and plenty fried onion too. Absolutely lovely. 

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, Morgan said:

Yes, Samuel, there is an Aldi in the town next to us and a really big Aldi in Nice

👍 

The Hogfather

I've got the reverse issue. I'v grown pretty fond of Arizona Grapeade but it's extortionate to get here. Best deal I've ever seen is £35 for 24 cans on Amazon. 

8 hours ago, Locky said:

I greatly prefer Lorne most times, but corned beef will do for now.

I tried explaining what Lorne to people here and it just sounds weird to them. I've given up on trying to find anything like it.

4 minutes ago, Dorothy said:

I tried explaining what Lorne to people here and it just sounds weird to them. I've given up on trying to find anything like it.

Wouldn't know how to explain Lorne myself in fairness. :lol: 

2 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Square Sausage does the trick.

I think to some Americans, that's just going to blow their minds even more and throw up more questions.

30 minutes ago, Locky said:

I think to some Americans, that's just going to blow their minds even more and throw up more questions.

never had lorne in stovies, corned beef or left over roast beef.

3 hours ago, Locky said:

Yep, square sausage would be a really weird concept to most Americans. Though after having a think on it there is scrapple in some parts of the US which isn't the same, but much closer. Not in my part of the country though, so not going to have any luck finding that either.

1 hour ago, Dorothy said:

Yep, square sausage would be a really weird concept to most Americans. Though after having a think on it there is scrapple in some parts of the US which isn't the same, but much closer. Not in my part of the country though, so not going to have any luck finding that either.

Not if you go to Wendy's. But they are burgers rather than sausage admittedly. 

At my local supermarket (HEB), Ribena is $8, beans are $4 and a 500 ml bottle of Bru is $3.50.

kawasakijambo
20 hours ago, Dorothy said:

Try This,

Just now, Captain Slog said:

Remember to get well fired morning rolls, not those peely wally ones

Don't worry, I'll be sure to burn the tray when I make them for you.

3 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

A decent recipe for making Lorne/square sausage

Easy Homemade Lorne Sausage Recipe - Scottish Scran

44 minutes ago, kawasakijambo said:

Try This,

These are both really just meatloaf recipes, except for the cooking: sliced and fried rather than baked or cooked in a bain-marie. So, there's your description: sliced and fried raw meatloaf!  :thumbsup:

I admit I'm not a fan of Lorne sausages in general - the ingredients usually show a worrying list of additives, preservatives, and stuff that has no business being in it at all like soya protein and palm fat - and therefore I'm sure these home-made ones like these will be much better than the vast majority of the bought ones.

Big Slim Stylee

In LA Brit stuff was easily available. As time went on some of the bigger stores started stocking basics. But all those 70s faves like Birds Custard 😀