Your ‘oldest’ friend...

Morgan

Two-pronged question.

How long have you had a friend/pal/mate that you’ve known ‘for ever’?

Secondly, do you now have a ‘friend’ who is a whole lot older than you but, you really, really like him/her?

I am still very good friends with a wee guy I’ve known since I was about 9 or 10.

I now have a couple of really good friends who are many years older than me, but are wonderful people, and who I am proud to call my friends.

Met my best pal on a joint Hearts & Hibs football forum. Aged 16. Coming up for 32 now. Best man at his wedding and he’ll be play that role at my wedding in a few months. He’s a few years older.

I don’t talk to anyone from school. 

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Worthing Jambo said:

Born in the same hospital in the same week and lived a street apart. 
He has been a pain in the arse ever since😂

:oohmatron:

jack D and coke
56 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Two-pronged question.

Secondly, do you now have a ‘friend’ who is a whole lot older than you but, you really, really like him/her?

I am still very good friends with a wee guy I’ve known since I was about 9 or 10.

I now have a couple of really good friends who are many years older than me, but are wonderful people, and who I am proud to call my friends.

Still best pal with my mate I’ve had since I was 8. 40 years best pals with the hibs *****. 
Got friends of all ages I suppose, few good ones I’ve met through this place.  One of my best pals is a guy I worked with for 20 years. He’s in his 70’s now but I still phone him at least once a week for a blether now I don’t see him much. He’s the funniest man I’ve ever known in my life. Makes me belly laugh every single time I talk to him. I worry about him nowadays he’s getting older :lol: 
Got a few pals younger than me too but my main pals I’ve had for at least 30 years and I make time for them…we’ve shared a lot of shit together. I’m just off the phone to one who I haven’t seen for a few months actually, good hour and a half blether about basically a load of nonsense. Quality…

My Mrs is ma best friend. Most of my mates(including my best man) I went to primary school with and have known since 5 years of age. Others you get to know at high school and as you live your live . 

Edited by ri Alban

Only have a few High School friends I still speak to. One of my closest friends is 83 (I am 45). Not only is he a friend, but is like a father to me (my dad popped his clogs a few years ago).

Still mates with a couple I was at primary school with so that’s 40 plus years.

Ive got a group of pals my age and a group who are all at least 10 years older than me.

One of my very best mates is 10 years older than me. Complete hooligan who leads me astray given the opportunity. Been on holiday numerous times with him. Going away in the summer with him and the “old team” including my Dad who is in his 70’s.

The old team can out drink, out swear and misbehave twice as much as the young group.

7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

My Mrs is ma best friend. Most of my mates(including my best man) I went to primary school with and have known since 5 years of age. Others you get to know at high school and as you live your live . 

Yes,   my wife,  pals for 32 years, few jambo pals since primary school, few kick backers

which i have known for a few years.

Edited by Harry Potter

Been best pals with my mate since 1962, I was two and he was three.

Done a wee bit of my family tree during lockdown, turns out we both have the same great grandfather and we never knew it til last year.

Best mate known since he was born, I'm 6 months older lived next door till we were 12ish. 

Other mates from primary and secondary. 

scott herbertson

Was at nursery with my mate in Northfield in, I guess, 1958. so 64 years. He's stopped coming to matches tho' 🙁 so rarely see him these days. He was supporting Dunfermline in the 1968 final but switched to Hearts after and a bunch of us from Northfield and Portobello School used to congregate in the shed in the late 60s and onwards, down to 5 or 6 of us in Stratties now, and gradually getting outnumbered by the next generation children (now adults themselves)

Edited by scott herbertson

1 hour ago, iantjambo said:

Still in touch with all my childhood friends. As I said on the ‘shit days’ thread, one of them sadly passed away in October.

Ian, it was your very sad post and also the one by @Smithee that prompted me to start this thread.

So sorry to hear your news, chaps.  :sad:

11 hours ago, ri Alban said:

4 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Yes,   my wife,  pals for 32 years, few jambo pals since primary school, few kick backers

which i have known for a few years.

Me too.

I'd be lost without her.

3 best pals, once since early teens, one was someone I knew and couldn't be arsed with until 20 years ago (both Hearts) and one is half my age and supports one of the Uglies. I love 'em all like. 

Our core group of friends is mostly made up of people who went to Murrayburn then Forries, one of whom I also went to nursery with. A few sets of brothers in there so a range of ages. Only some of us won the Inspector's Cup though.

20 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Ian, it was your very sad post and also the one by @Smithee that prompted me to start this thread.

Cheers, it's pretty sobering to think about. From my group, one's died in his sleep, one's dying of bowel cancer, one's got a brain condition and one's wife committed suicide. 

My oldest mate is an utter bellend, he still makes me snort laugh though. I've known him 35+ years, we were at the same boys' club, high school, first jobs across the road from each other, he was my drummer for many years as we learned music together. We skived together, went to gigs together, all that jazz. Hun, though.

One of my besties now is 21, we worked together for a year and just really clicked, work colleagues can be like that. Again, we roar with laughter, it's a great thing.

millerjames398

My best mate of 35 yrs,,,also a jambo..and as another poster said, "he's been a pain in the arse ever since"😂

My oldest aged mate is a guy i worked with, a Celtic fan bein his only downfall, but a top bloke, and shagger to boot for his age😂😂😂 

Got no pals.

Don't particularly like people so got no interest in befriending one.

The wife's alright I suppose.

43 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Cheers, it's pretty sobering to think about. From my group, one's died in his sleep, one's dying of bowel cancer, one's got a brain condition and one's wife committed suicide. 

My oldest mate is an utter bellend, he still makes me snort laugh though. I've known him 35+ years, we were at the same boys' club, high school, first jobs across the road from each other, he was my drummer for many years as we learned music together. We skived together, went to gigs together, all that jazz. Hun, though.

One of my besties now is 21, we worked together for a year and just really clicked, work colleagues can be like that. Again, we roar with laughter, it's a great thing.

Feck sake, that first paragraph makes really bad reading.

Take care.

16 hours ago, Morgan said:

Two-pronged question.

Got a mate who occasionally posts on here who I've known over 40 years. He's in Kirkliston now & with me down in Bath means don't see eachother as often as we did when we were younger. I recently lost a mate whom I've known for 30 years and I have my girly pal in Livingston whom I've known for 26 years. My mate here in Bath I've known since we were at the Royal High together almost 38 years ago. 

13 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Bet they cannie be arsed with your pish aswell.

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Cheers Morgan. It was a complete shock, we knew he hadn’t been keeping in the best of health but at no point did anyone, including his family, expect him to die. 

The girl that was raised in the house that we shared a tenement wall with. From infanthood we were passed for care at each home, she was the best maid for my wife at our wedding, and we were neighbors for a while after both were married. Of course lost touch to an extent when moved to Canada but now with the wonders of internet we can maintain the contact that started some eighty five years ago. She was always a Hibs fan, but her son is a Hearts fan, so she's no all bad.

Edited by Sharpie

My best mate is a year and a half younger than me but we've been joint at the hip since babies as ours mums are best friends. Funny thing is we have very little in common. Im Hearts he's rangers, I love golf he doesn't, he loves Oasis I think they are pricks. We both love a pint tho and that's where our relationship blossoms.

My friends have developed the disconcerting habit of dying, which shouldn't be a surprise I suppose.  Old age doesn't come by itself.  My diminishing group of friends are all old farts.

I do have one friend, a Londoner whom I met when in the army in 1958, who has stayed in touch despite time, distance, and widely different interests.  He describes Hearts as his second team.

12 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

My friends have developed the disconcerting habit of dying, which shouldn't be a surprise I suppose.  Old age doesn't come by itself.  My diminishing group of friends are all old farts.

I do have one friend, a Londoner whom I met when in the army in 1958, who has stayed in touch despite time, distance, and widely different interests.  He describes Hearts as his second team.

I have sort of a similar situation, when I was at Boroughmuir I knew a guy but was never a close friend as he was a year ahead. When I signed up for the Scots Guards this same person joined with me, we travelled to Caterham together, trained together went to Egypt had different duties but still nodded and passed a word. etc. On conclusion of our service lost touch completely.   few years ago I got into the Scots Guards association, I saw my friends name often as he had office in the group, and at one  time ran the guards Club in Haymarket. About a couple of years ago his name disappeared from all the correspondence and I thought the worst, a member of the Association told me he was in fact fine and gave him my address. We got in touch and have remained so, he has been a stalwart to me with his support and kindness. I recently received a Scots Guards Covid mask and a Heart of Midlothian one, its true what they say, no friend like an old one. Even if he is a Rangers supporter.

Edited by Sharpie

My oldest friend in terms of length of friendship is a boy I met on day 1 of primary school. Living in Oz at the moment and haven't even seen the boy for quite a few years, but we still keep in touch and reminisce about the shite we got up to as bairns. Hope to meet him for a pint when he's back in Edinburgh next.

I've got a real varied group of mates. Pals with lads who are nearly 10 years my younger, good few mates 5-10 years older, and even got a mate who's in his late 60's. We only worked together for a few weeks but clicked and kept well in touch ever since. Loves a pint and often frequents pubs in Gorgie as he stays there but he's a time. Also a shagger. Maybe me and @millerjames398 are talking about the same guy? :lol: 

Doctor FinnBarr

My best mate I've known for 55 years now, he left Blackburn in the 80s to move to Portknockie because he was working offshore. He still came down for games when he could and I visited him when I could. Alas, the drink got to him and his wife chucked him out and he ended up in Cornhill Mental hospital in Aberdeen. He got a house in Stonehaven and still I visited then he just vanished. Took me a long time getting replies from his laddies on FB but I got a mobile number for him. He stays in Henley-on-Thames now and follows Leeds when he's not offshore, during said phone call he asked me to be best man (again) at his upcoming wedding. I refused as he has 3 boys who could do that duty now but promised I'd attend. That was maybe 4 years ago now and its the last I heard from him, gave in now.

Best pal outwith the family now is Rhona in Cullen, wee biker lass I've known for 30 years now.

My brother and his family mean everything to me now but the one and only winner in all this is Mrs Saunders, 24th anniverary this year, still going strong.

22 hours ago, Morgan said:

Two-pronged question.

My first ever ‘pal’ now lives in Prague and has for now nearly 20 years. We met when we were 5(42 years ago, scary) went to the same schools together , played in the same youth teams at various times. 

He comes over a few times a year to see his family and meet up with myself and a wider group of mates for a session.  In turn, he’s had visits to Prague from friends and family throughout.  

Only downside is, he’s a Hibby 😢😁

millerjames398
2 hours ago, Locky said:

My oldest friend in terms of length of friendship is a boy I met on day 1 of primary school. Living in Oz at the moment and haven't even seen the boy for quite a few years, but we still keep in touch and reminisce about the shite we got up to as bairns. Hope to meet him for a pint when he's back in Edinburgh next.

I've got a real varied group of mates. Pals with lads who are nearly 10 years my younger, good few mates 5-10 years older, and even got a mate who's in his late 60's. We only worked together for a few weeks but clicked and kept well in touch ever since. Loves a pint and often frequents pubs in Gorgie as he stays there but he's a time. Also a shagger. Maybe me and @millerjames398 are talking about the same guy? :lol: 

I stay in Falkirk, but could be long lost twins😂...my mate is prolific,,used to go on the dating sights, and send hundreds of likes, to all shapes and sizes, and then whittle it down to a top ten, and work his way through them, travelled the length and breadth of Britain, gettin his leg over..some of his stories were different class..dirty auld bassa😂🇱🇻

1 hour ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

My best mate I've known for 55 years now, he left Blackburn in the 80s to move to Portknockie because he was working offshore. He still came down for games when he could and I visited him when I could. Alas, the drink got to him and his wife chucked him out and he ended up in Cornhill Mental hospital in Aberdeen. He got a house in Stonehaven and still I visited then he just vanished. Took me a long time getting replies from his laddies on FB but I got a mobile number for him. He stays in Henley-on-Thames now and follows Leeds when he's not offshore, during said phone call he asked me to be best man (again) at his upcoming wedding. I refused as he has 3 boys who could do that duty now but promised I'd attend. That was maybe 4 years ago now and its the last I heard from him, gave in now.

Best pal outwith the family now is Rhona in Cullen, wee biker lass I've known for 30 years now.

My brother and his family mean everything to me now but the one and only winner in all this is Mrs Saunders, 24th anniverary this year, still going strong.

Good wee story there, FB.  

Your last sentence is beautiful.  👍

Doctor FinnBarr
12 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Good wee story there, FB.  

Your last sentence is beautiful.  👍

It is Morgan, mean it all too, pissed off mate never made contact again.

3 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

It is Morgan, mean it all too, pissed off mate never made contact again.

I bet you are, FB.

Your sentiment for Mrs Saunders matches my own for my wee, and lovely, Mrs Morgan.  

Keep her safe, sir.

Still very good mates with 3 of my Primary 1 friends....one I knew since Nursery.

Other close mate met working at UCI 27 years ago and we still can't get rid of each other.....love you Jamboelite!

On 16/01/2022 at 14:07, JamesM48 said:

quote-friendship-is-a-precious-gift-that-can-t-be-bought-or-sold-it-s-value-is-greater-than-marlene-dietrich-135-97-88.jpg

And she was so right, James. 👍

Interesting thread.  Apart from my Mrs, my closest friend is 12 years older than me - a well-read chap, great company, and unsurprisingly we share several interests - including Hearts, nature  and pubs !!  

I keep in regular touch with 4 ex-work pals - one's a Hun and  one's a Tim, so  we have a sort of unwritten rule to be respectful to  each other's position if the topic of football comes up when we're touring Edinburgh's finest restaurants & pubs    My regular fishing buddy is a good bit younger than me -  and  despite being a Hibby,  he's a really great guy and excellent company.

Having said all that, I get a real warm glow just from brief chats with neighbours and folk I  bump into on dog walks. 

52 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

And she was so right, James. 👍

Interesting thread.  Apart from my Mrs, my closest friend is 12 years older than me - a well-read chap, great company, and unsurprisingly we share several interests - including Hearts, nature  and pubs !!  

52 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

I keep in regular touch with 4 ex-work pals - one's a Hun and  one's a Tim, so  we have a sort of unwritten rule to be respectful to  each other's position if the topic of football comes up when we're touring Edinburgh's finest restaurants & pubs    My regular fishing buddy is a good bit younger than me -  and  despite being a Hibby,  he's a really great guy and excellent company.

Having said all that, I get a real warm glow just from brief chats with neighbours and folk I  bump into on dog walks. 

Nice post. 👍  you seem to have a good balance of friends and life in general. 

I have a few friends around me age and a few younger too, male and female. A nice mix of different people and whom i def can call friends. I can trust and they can trust me . That's the important thing. Also a good sense of humour helps and a positive outlook to life. I've had to ditch a few people in my life who i felt began to be quite draining . I'm a firm believer in negative and positive energy. Yes i can be a miserable sod at times but I'm generally upbeat and prefer friends to be similar. 

I don't have any friends from my childhood or teenage years.  We just drifted apart and I had nothing much in common with them eventually. I've met most of my adults friends via work or through friends . Met a couple really good jambo pals in the last few years so that's been a bonus. 

My oldest friend is actually 81.  He is  a great laugh and complete eccentric too. 

Edited by JamesM48

11 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I've had to ditch a few people in my life who i felt began to be quite draining . I'm a firm believer in negative and positive energy.

I don't have any friends from my childhood or teenage years.  We just drifted apart and I had nothing much in common with them eventually.

Thanks.   I can relate to these comments you made.  Over the years, I've cooled a few friendships and just drifted away from a couple too.     My wife has also ditched a couple that she felt were dragging her down.

I like the type of friends who you can easily just pick up with again after a few weeks/months of no contact.   It shows that they and you aren't the suffocating needy type.     For some folk though, that wouldn't be enough. Each to their own, I guess.   Life is indeed a minestrone !! 😃

22 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Thanks.   I can relate to these comments you made.  Over the years, I've cooled a few friendships and just drifted away from a couple too.     My wife has also ditched a couple that she felt were dragging her down.

I like the type of friends who you can easily just pick up with again after a few weeks/months of no contact.   It shows that they and you aren't the suffocating needy type.     For some folk though, that wouldn't be enough. Each to their own, I guess.   Life is indeed a minestrone !! 😃

Completely agree regarding picking up contact with friends after a long period of time and its like you only spoke yesterday. There's no dramas, no bitterness etc .  Seeing a female  friend next week I haven't seen in over a year a half so looking forward to that.  Nothing wrong with having a clean out regarding friends if the friendship isn't working out. I recall ending a friendship with a long term friend a few years back as I felt it just seemed to be based on drinking in pubs. I had suggested to him maybe going for a meal ? coffee ? cinema or other activity but he just wanted to go to pubs.  I felt we were more boozing buddies than anything with more substance really. Our conversations were mainly alcohol fuelled. 

N Lincs Jambo

One of the major benefits of the internet is finding people you have lost contact with over the years. I guy I was at primary school with (albeit not in the same class), we played in the school team together. Anyway, we used to go to games together early 80s then I moved away and we lost contact. Saw a post from him on FB so I got in contact (this was 2018). Came back up to Edinburgh and went for a few drinks with him and we get together for a pint and a blether on my rare visits. Not bad after not seeing each other for 35 years.

On topic though I'm another whose best mate is my mrs. Come June this year that will be 34 years together.