Midget Gems Now Mini Gems

Howdy Doody Jambo

Howdy Doody Jambo

The little fruity sweets are being renamed from Midget Gems to Mini Gems as to not offend and upset people with dwarfism 

True story on talkradio now 

I P Knightley
16 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

The little fruity sweets are being renamed from Midget Gems to Mini Gems as to not offend and upset people with dwarfism 

I've said this before but I once wrote to Maynards when they switched the black Midget Gems to being blackcurrant flavour. That was already a step too far; I just don't know how to digest this new news.

I hope it will be raised in the House next week at PMQs.

Just now, I P Knightley said:

I've said this before but I once wrote to Maynards when they switched the black Midget Gems to being blackcurrant flavour. That was already a step too far; I just don't know how to digest this new news.

I hope it will be raised in the House next week at PMQs.

The black midgets were the best.

I P Knightley
1 minute ago, indianajones said:

The black midgets were the best.

Thanks to JKB, I found that the original Lion's brand is available at Home Bargains, complete with the proper black ones.

Just now, I P Knightley said:

Thanks to JKB, I found that the original Lion's brand is available at Home Bargains, complete with the proper black ones.

It was the same with sports mixtures as well i think. The blackcurrent ones are honestly stinking.

Oh woe is me! The woke culture is taking over society! All this trying not to offend people - where will it lead?!!! We won't be able to leave our houses soon, or even speak to anyone else in case we offend them, etc. etc. etc...

:jj_facepalm:

Seymour M Hersh
45 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

I think it's just M&S who are doing it with their own brand. Apparently one person complained about midget being hate speech. 

1 hour ago, The Maroon Pound said:

They should grow up.

SectionDJambo

I wonder how many complaints that the manufacturers have had from short people about this outrageous branding of Midget Gems.

Probably none, but happy to be corrected.

I P Knightley
10 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Correct, how low can they get.

laughing-laugh.gif

"I once tried it on a dachsund."

Edited by I P Knightley

So, a wee bit of research shows that the word midget started off as an alternative term given by the Americans to what we know as the midge. In about the mid 19th century or so, it then moved over to become used in freak shows to refer to those with dwarfism. Not entirely complimentary then. The current happenings are basically the results of a campaign by Dr Erin Pritchard from Liverpool Hope University, who has achondroplasia, to try to reduce the use of the word as she deems it offensive to folk with growth problems. This is not a one-woman crusade however, since the community of those with dwarfism has often expressed displeasure at the use of the term "midget". Warwick Davis, for example, has spoken out about how the term is offensive to those with dwarfism.

https://www.prnewswire.co.uk/news-releases/warwick-davis-speaks-out-about-the-word-midget-257458151.html

https://www.lpaonline.org/the-m-word

4 hours ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Just mentioned on Radio 6. FFS, PC gone mad. 

WorldChampions1902

Always found the term, “Dwarf Planets” offensive. Time for a re-brand. “Mini Planets” sounds so much more PC and in tune with the times. ::troll::

Spitonastranger
40 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

I blame this on woke, snowflakey millenniums. Bring back national service and GSTQ after Late Call. 

WorldChampions1902
12 minutes ago, Spitonastranger said:

Please, tell me this isn’t a spoof! Absolutely brilliant if this is what was actually aired. Talk about giving somebody the middle finger!:rudiyas:

Spitonastranger
4 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Please, tell me this isn’t a spoof! Absolutely brilliant if this is what was actually aired. Talk about giving somebody the middle finger!:rudiyas:

Told it was actually aired 

I’m going out for a wee spin in my MG Midget now to try and calm down.

Thankfully, I’ve got long legs so if the feckin car starts getting cheeky I’ll just kick it’s wee headlights in.

That’ll show these short arses.

8 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I’m going out for a wee spin in my MG Midget now to try and calm down.

Thankfully, I’ve got long legs so if the feckin car starts getting cheeky I’ll just kick it’s wee headlights in.

That’ll show these short arses.

50A37000-7115-49C5-95E1-BAEB4745513B.webp

30 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

It was aired. 

Booked tickets for the panto at the King's theatre for this Christmas.

It's being advertised as Snow White and the Seven dwarves. I await the name change from Snow neutral colour and the Seven vertically challenged persons.

1 hour ago, Savage Vince said:

I blame this on woke, snowflakey millenniums. Bring back national service and GSTQ after Late Call. 

My dad always ran to the telly before GSTQ   came on to turn it off or over to another channel. :) 

The Real Maroonblood
5 hours ago, The Maroon Pound said:

:4_1_72:

2 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

The Ginger Nuts biscuit branding department is probably working this weekend now.

Hobnobs staff also looking at overtime !

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Spitonastranger said:

44 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

It was aired. 

I can’t believe this was aired. Was it a parting shot from someone leaving. If they weren’t leaving before it aired, I’m pretty sure they’d have been on their way out the door after it.

If it did actually, I’d love to buy the person responsible a drink, tremendous work:jj:

Spitonastranger
26 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I can’t believe this was aired. Was it a parting shot from someone leaving. If they weren’t leaving before it aired, I’m pretty sure they’d have been on their way out the door after it.

If it did actually, I’d love to buy the person responsible a drink, tremendous work:jj:

sorry for the link but 

Newsnight presenter Kirsty Wark signs off by saying she's going to play the national anthem ... but shows 'God Save the Queen' by the Sex Pistols instead  | Daily Mail Online

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

It's the people who object to this sort of thing that give it air and keep it a big deal. Absolutely nobody "woke" gives a shit about M&S changing the name of their sweeties.

11 hours ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Thats shite eh!

theyve been midget gems since I was wee 😜