5 Sub Rule Returns

Sooperstar

The 5 sub rule is coming back in the SPFL when games return next week. 

Is there a club who have suffered a number of injuries this season and just signed a load of new players?

It's embarrassing that they can change this rule when Celtic demand it but there is no suggestion of changing the rules to help clubs when covid has left them having to play a goalkeeper outfield and register their coaches as players.

Scottish football at its best. 

Not against the change if there's a need for it, but it seems odd to do it part-way through the season when teams may have been impacted by only having 3 subs in games in the first half

The Old Tolbooth

Farcical, utterly farcical!! 

The game we drew at Tynie with Dundee, we could have done with another sub or two to come on in that game, and it wasn't available to us, those points are dropped now when they could have been won, all of a sudden to suit Celtic, the rules are changed to accommodate their huge squad advantage that they have over the rest of us, absolute cheating of the highest order!!

Rules should not be changed during a season they should come into place at a start of one. Once the season kicks off they can’t change the rules

This significantly benefits Rangers and Celtic. 

If fit we have a decent squad so may feel some benefit from it.

jamboinglasgow

Regardless of the intentions to bring it in, it is the right decision especially with so many games in quick succession. Its mad that this was not the rule at the start of the season, though that was down to the smaller clubs not wanting what they saw as the bigger clubs getting an advantage (was the same last season in the Championship where the other clubs were looking to stop any kind of advantage we might get, instead of whats best for the players.)

Should also allow a few youngsters to get more game time which is always helpful.

5 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Is it still a bench of 7 or is that increasing as well? We've only got about 20 players in total

Not sure.

But in other competitions using 5 subs its 9 on bench.

16 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Was this not thrown out by the Championship clubs last season as it would have given us an "unfair advantage" ?

Yes.

And I’d bet my last pound that Dundee, who voted against it last season, will have voted for it this season.

jambo-in-furness
5 minutes ago, sassenach said:

This particular old fart preferred football without subs, when rock-hard players played on with broken legs, or even necks.

Yep,  no hamstring injuries back then,  men we’re men.

I'm for it but changing it midway through the season is laughable stuff, it means more gametime for our squad players though so can't have too many complaints

Fozzyonthefence

I’m not sure making 5 subs is all that beneficial in terms of having continuity, etc.  That’s exactly half of your outfield players.  Could be a benefit if things not going well but if they are then that’s huge changes that are likely to adversely affect the team’s performance imo.  Maybe not for the likes of Man City where they generally have just as good or even better players on the bench to replace whoever comes off but for most teams making 5 subs is going to weaken your team.

43 minutes ago, adambraejambo said:

I'd make it you allowed 5 on but two of them must he U20 or even u19 . 

I like this idea a lot.

Wasn't there a time where SPL matchday squads had to feature at least 3 players under 21 or am I talking out my arse?

Christ when we change one player we look like a different team, good or bad depending on how the wind's blowing.

1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

The 5 sub rule is coming back in the SPFL when games return next week. 

Is there a club who have suffered a number of injuries this season and just signed a load of new players?

****s!

3 minutes ago, sassenach said:

It's rubbish in my opinion.  It allows managers to replace half the team to sit on a lead.  Or to waste time at the end of the game by making multiple substitutions.

There should be a maximum of 2 subs, to be used in case of injury.  And if an outfield player has to go in goal for an injured goalkeeper, tough luck!

No subs in the last 15mintes UNLESS there's an injury verified by the club doctor!

Edited by Pans Jambo

"The increase from the current three subs per game rule has been rubber-stamped by the league body after 75% of top flight clubs were in favour of the change and it takes effect when the Premiership returns from winter break on Monday." 

"Clubs will be allowed to name a bench of up to nine players." 

"The SPFL already allows five substitutes for League 2 but will hold talks with Championship and League 1 clubs about adopting the same rule." 

I bet Championship clubs vote yes.    Arseholes.   Totally against it when big bad Hearts needed it 

My beef is that they change the attendance rule starting Monday in time for the Celtic game but bypass the weekend's lower leagues cards.

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, sassenach said:

This particular old fart preferred football without subs, when rock-hard players played on with broken legs, or even necks.

Just one available to start with, with the sole intention of replacing one injured player, should it happen. 

Almost like the special teams used in American football or ice hockey. 

Two teams benefit from this, some clubs can't even have a full bench for games and now have their starting eleven possibly playing against 5 fresh players in the 2nd half of games. 

54 minutes ago, sassenach said:

It's rubbish in my opinion.  It allows managers to replace half the team to sit on a lead.  Or to waste time at the end of the game by making multiple substitutions.

There should be a maximum of 2 subs, to be used in case of injury.  And if an outfield player has to go in goal for an injured goalkeeper, tough luck!

This 👆🏻

amount of time wasting you see in the champions league and Italy etc, it’s ridiculous 

If both teams use all subs in the second half and celtic are holding a narrow lead will collum add at least 5 mins injury time or will it still be the usual 2 mins. 

1 hour ago, adambraejambo said:

I'd make it you allowed 5 on but two of them must he U20 or even u19 . 

Argument against that would be 1st team and youth team covid 'bubbles' mixing  

7 minutes ago, jackal said:

If both teams use all subs in the second half and celtic are holding a narrow lead will collum add at least 5 mins injury time or will it still be the usual 2 mins. 

Sure the rule is 5 players over a maximum of 3 substitutions so there shouldn't be any additional time added compared to just now

1 hour ago, Japan Jambo said:

Wonder how much we pay in playing bonuses and how much this moves the needle?

I remember years ago that our standard youth contracts had a basic wage of say 250 quid a week but a 1k bonus to incentivise the young players to make the 1st team squad, then the SPL introduced the rule making us have x no of u-21's either on the bench or in the team, we ended up forking out thousands every game in bonus's to players that were nowhere near ready for the 1st team and had zero chance of coming off the bench, also impacted players availability for youth games at times

5 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

My beef is that they change the attendance rule starting Monday in time for the Celtic game but bypass the weekend's lower leagues cards.

Surprised the smaller teams didn't put in a combined request to carry the weekend games over to Monday. 

Even a crowd of say 2500 is a fair bit of gate money by playing on the Monday. 

Admittedly the two lower leagues not a lot of difference. 

5 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

The 17/1 date was advised as the earliest date restrictions could be lifted so the Celtic game was planned ( in hope ) for the night after that. 

6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

The 17/1 date was advised as the earliest date restrictions could be lifted so the Celtic game was planned ( in hope ) for the night after that. 

Celtic v Hibs is on Monday 17 Jan.

6 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

The fact the crowds are allowed again was to benefit the rugby imo.

14 minutes ago, Marvin said:

The fact the crowds are allowed again was to benefit the rugby imo.

They could have held off a week or so if that was the main driver. 

5 subs should be standard across football anyway. Too often a player carries a knock in the game and aggravates an injury to avoid using up a sub.

I suppose 5 subs favors bigger clubs with bigger squads but it still seems better to me. At least up it to 4.

I'm torn on the subs rule, it probably does favour us, and helps managers out a bit in terms of giving players game time, but the potential to change half your team doesn't sit right in the traditionalist in me.

Other angle that is a negative for us in particular, is we are often (this season anyway) the team defending leads heading into last 20-30mins.  5 subs gives opponents chance to really change the dynamics of the game.

Pasquale for King

Should help us, two wingers definitely getting swapped after 60 minutes 😆. More youngsters on the bench, as irs been said you should have to have under 19s and maybe even your fifth sub should be a kid.