Top Posters In This Topic

• McGlynn The Money

• Morgan

• Mikey1874

• Des Lynam

Fort Vallance
2 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Both cancers of football. 

Bit strong. Get that you dont like the way they conduct their business but there's a lot worse than those two.

7 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Both cancers of football. 

Having lived in both cities, Madrid for only four months, Barcelona for eleven months, I  like Real Madrid (only like, before you jump down my throat!) but absolutely hate Barcelona.

Madrid are not nearly so ‘up themselves’ as Barcelona are.

Very strong words from you, Indy.

Pasquale for King

Two poor teams whose best days are behind them, awful game with no tempo but just a friendly in reality. Teams like Liverpool/Chelsea/PSG/City/Bayern would rip either of them apart. 

Bazzas right boot

I'd fancy us v Barca. 

At home Ofc, beating them away would just be nonsense talk. 

Super Cups have been glorified friendlies for quite some time, and it just takes any significance away from they play them abroad. Honestly very surprised that England hasn't done this yet as France, Italy and Spain have been doing this for ages.

Italy's was tonight too in fairness played domestically, in past years has been played in China and USA. Spain's was held in Morocco a few years back, and the French Super Cup has been played abroad for years now, with venues varying from Switzerland to African countries.

All just a way of exposing the game to wider audiences I guess. I'd much prefer a bit of a non-entity cup played overseas, than the thought of a foreign based league game for example. Can't imagine the fans of any of these clubs really pay much attention to the matches.

1 hour ago, McCrae said:

Thought it was dull and switched off after 30 mins

Certainly not the same as the Mourinho/Guardian games when they just kicked **** out of each other for 90 minutes.

20 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Certainly not the same as the Mourinho/Guardian games when they just kicked **** out of each other for 90 minutes.

without the fans … it’s just not the same.

I wonder if Supercups were held the week after the cup final at the end of the season if it’d mean a bit more as like a big showpiece grand final…

Regarding El Classico, watched a bit of it last night & it was sad to see how far it’s fallen, no passion & no real superstars (Benzema aside) any more. Used to be the highlight of the football year in terms of the big leagues 

10 hours ago, Fort Vallance said:

Bit strong. Get that you dont like the way they conduct their business but there's a lot worse than those two.

10 hours ago, Morgan said:

Having lived in both cities, Madrid for only four months, Barcelona for eleven months, I  like Real Madrid (only like, before you jump down my throat!) but absolutely hate Barcelona.

Madrid are not nearly so ‘up themselves’ as Barcelona are.

Very strong words from you, Indy.

I'd like to visit both cities. Especially Barcelona. Looks like an amazing place. 

Although you can through their teams in with the EPL to be honest. 

That's their FA cup right? A semi final being shown in a foreign land. How is the ordinary fan supposed to attend this game? This is not what football is about. 

Blood sucking leeches. Parasites. 

9 hours ago, McCrae said:

without the fans … it’s just not the same.

The fans were very excitable last night! Everyone 30 seconds I heard a noise as if their had been a goal, but when I looked up at the screen it turned out someone had just taken a throw in on the halfway line.

1 hour ago, boag1874 said:

I wonder if Supercups were held the week after the cup final at the end of the season if it’d mean a bit more as like a big showpiece grand final…

Regarding El Classico, watched a bit of it last night & it was sad to see how far it’s fallen, no passion & no real superstars (Benzema aside) any more. Used to be the highlight of the football year in terms of the big leagues 

I would say a cup final should be the showcase ending to a season. A supercup is better like the English community shield as the opening to a season

14 hours ago, Newton51 said:

Starting on bt sport 1. Super Cup semi final but strangely held in Saudi 

The Italians done that with there super cup final held it abroad selling out for more cash. 

I had a wee look up on this it used to be a two leg final played home and away with the winners of the league v winners off the cup. since 2019 it has 4 teams playing in it bit strange this. 

Think its winners of league play the runner up of the cup, And the winners of the cup play runner up of the league. 

Pointless. 

Fort Vallance
48 minutes ago, indianajones said:

I'd like to visit both cities. Especially Barcelona. Looks like an amazing place. 

That's their FA cup right? A semi final being shown in a foreign land. How is the ordinary fan supposed to attend this game? This is not what football is about. 

Their FA Cup yes. But like the Italian Cup, most fans don't give a toss about it. And I don't just mean Real, Barca, Juventus etc. The attendances at most cup games are poor so it wouldn't make a difference where they're played.

As for "Blood sucking leeches. Parasites" Again although it seems to really wind you up, at least their FA is bringing in cash as opposed to selling their fixtures for a pittance like some closer to home.

8 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

Their FA Cup yes. But like the Italian Cup, most fans don't give a toss about it. And I don't just mean Real, Barca, Juventus etc. The attendances at most cup games are poor so it wouldn't make a difference where they're played.

As for "Blood sucking leeches. Parasites" Again although it seems to really wind you up, at least their FA is bringing in cash as opposed to selling their fixtures for a pittance like some closer to home.

Surely the Copa del Rey is their fa cup

12 hours ago, Fort Vallance said:

I'm not sure about that. Bit like the OF here. Pretend to hate each other in public, but in private in cahoots to screw over All the other Spanish teams.

Fort Vallance
1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

Surely the Copa del Rey is their fa cup

Correct. But again it's not a great crowd puller. The Super Cup even less so.

Fort Vallance
33 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I'm not sure about that. Bit like the OF here. Pretend to hate each other in public, but in private in cahoots to screw over All the other Spanish teams.

It might be like that in the boardrooms. But I doubt the fans would see it like that. Culturally chalk and cheese. Although to be fair I don't suppose old firm fans would admit that their teams work together either.

17 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Of course

Would be one way to level the playing field here a bit - we should trial it for League Cup finals!

McGlynn The Money

Five straight defeats to Real Madrid for Barcelona now. Looked like Barça were at full pelt but Madrid did just enough to win. Ref was very lenient to Barça too with Alves and Busquets lucky not to be sent off and Gavi should at least been booked.

Barça have some fine young players in the likes of Ansu Fati, Gavi and Pedri but I don't think any club in the world hypes up their young players as much as the Catalan giants do. I remember when we played them at Murrayfield where Bojan was hailed as the next Messi and Geovani was getting ready to full Ronaldinho's boots. Neither of them came close.

It's being hailed as a moral victory by the Catalan club and they even released a video on their Twitter page of the president congratulating the players in the dressing room after the game. Imagine the seethe on here if Hearts and Ann Budge did that after a fifth straight loss to Hibs (not that it would ever happen). Absolutely tin pot.

McGlynn The Money
1 hour ago, sassenach said:

I don't follow foreign football in any way, and I genuinely couldn't name a player from either side before I looked on here.  But I'm aware of the supposed intense rivalry between the two clubs.  So is this really true?  A moral victory is almost as bad as when Hibs "won the singing" after losing at Hampden against Celtic.

It is true but they have now taken the tweet down as their fans were going tonto.

20 hours ago, McGlynn The Money said:

I remember when we played them at Murrayfield where Bojan was hailed as the next Messi and Geovani was getting ready to full Ronaldinho's boots. Neither of them came close.

To be fair, I think a lot of people outside of Barcelona thought that Bojan was the real deal.

The Ultimate Worrier
On 13/01/2022 at 08:55, indianajones said:

More like the Charity Shield. The Copa del Rey is their FA Cup. Used to be pre season, home and away between the champions and cup winners but they made it to 4 teams to try to guarantee Real Madrid and Barcelona are always there, then shipped it to Saudi Arabia.

Two great cities but I prefer Madrid.  Barcelona is more about image and looks whereas Madrid is less pretentious and more about having a good time. I would say that is reflected in the two teams as well with Barça being far more up themselves and very sniffy about their style of play.

McGlynn The Money
On 14/01/2022 at 14:47, Bindy Badgy said:

To be fair, I think a lot of people outside of Barcelona thought that Bojan was the real deal.

Yes, but no doubt a lot of that was to do with the ridiculous hype that came from the club itself.

• 2 months later...
20 minutes ago, Jonkel Hoon said:

What's with all the blocked off seats?

They're doing big renovations at the moment

John Findlay
On 17/01/2022 at 13:39, McGlynn The Money said:

Yes, but no doubt a lot of that was to do with the ridiculous hype that came from the club itself.

Don't you go smashing any violins.

Absolute Scenes

Aye but they do it on a reasonably warm March afternoon at Tynecastle 

Edited by Absolute Scenes

36 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Don't you go smashing any violins.

McGlynn isn’t who you think he was, John.