New York

the sub goalie

18 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Walk over Brooklyn Bridge at night towards Manhattan. Amazing sight.

Do one of the open top bus tours. We had a great guide who knew his stuff. $20 tip at the end but we'll deserved.

Top of Rockefeller center just before the sun sets is the best sight. Do not do the Empire State Building over this. Top of the Rock is much better.

There was a wee gem of an Irish bar on Times Square (can't remember the name just now) but had live music and was a brilliant evening.

Connollys per chance?

The Mean Fiddler is also a decent shout for a gem of an Irish bar close to Times Square. Spent a good afternoon in there watching the hockey.

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Where are the no go areas? Or is NY a very safe city.

Tremont and fordham, according to google, never heard o them.

Edited by Harry Potter

2 hours ago, cheetah said:

USS intrepid also worth a visit, got a space shuttle and a concorde on it, as well as loads of planes and  navy stuff.

https://www.intrepidmuseum.org/

And an A-12 Oxcart - the one that looks almost identical to, but ISN'T, an SR-71 Blackbird.

There's an F-14 Tomcat too. So you can get your Top Gun quote game on :D

18 hours ago, redjambo said:

I don't know if they still do it but the first time I visited NY, I took a helicopter transfer from Newark airport, where I arrived in the States, to Manhattan. It was a nice introduction to the city.

Blade do an hourly service from Newark (or JFK) to Manhattan. The cost is $195/person, but you have very limited baggage allowance. It would be a perfect treat for a couple, but only if you can ship your bags separately to your hotel. 

https://www.blade.com/flight_search

kingsknowe_jambo

Great place to eat out is Eataly beside Madison Square Park, amazing range of food in their deli, great even just to browse round, it’s very close to the Flat Iron Building which was all covered in scaffold last time I saw it. If you want a good curry try Masala King on E 34th and Patiala on W 34th street. Good way to see Central Park and appreciate the full scale is to rent a bike, there is a stand in the South West corner of the park, takes about an hour to cycle round the whole park allowing for a stop or two. The highline is a nice walk, would recommend walking northwards to get the best views of midtown, if you can time it around sunset you will get stunning views and great photos. Enjoy NY

Was there in 2012,we were at the Flat Iron building wanting to take pictures and I asked this couple if they could take our photo,turns out it was a Hearts supporter from Edinburgh on holiday aswell. Even stranger he knew my name and where I was from,always wondered if he posts on here.

1 hour ago, kingsknowe_jambo said:

Good way to see Central Park and appreciate the full scale is to rent a bike, there is a stand in the South West corner of the park, takes about an hour to cycle round the whole park allowing for a stop or two.

Are there decent cycle paths or are you sharing with/dodging pedestrians?

kingsknowe_jambo
3 hours ago, Alex said:

Are there decent cycle paths or are you sharing with/dodging pedestrians?

There’s a proper road for cycling on for the whole route. Might have to dodge the odd horse and cart though!!

In November you're going to be at the mercy of the weather for some of the suggestions.

I've been twice (with & without kids) so have had two different experiences. 

My suggestions (no real surprises) -

Visit Ground Zero - the memorial is very moving.

Do the Liberty Island boat trip - forget the Staten Isl ferry (it's grubby, you have to be out on the deck because you can't see through the filthy windows) . It might be free & quick but it's hardly memorable.

HiLine Walk ? Depending on how long you're going for, I really wouldn't bother. It's not all that IMO.

Central Park - must do.

Intrepid - I thought it was amazing - and you can see one of only two space shuttles (costs extra).

There are some old Dutch style buildings in Lower Manhattan dating back to pre New York days (I've since learned) that I'd like to hunt down next time. 

Walk the Brooklyn Bridge, the views are amazing and there's a great vibe amongst the tourists.

Just watch out for the cyclists.

22 hours ago, kingsknowe_jambo said:

There’s a proper road for cycling on for the whole route. Might have to dodge the odd horse and cart though!!

Cheers, makes all the difference whether I'd consider cycling or not.

Just now, Alex said:

Cheers, makes all the difference whether I'd consider cycling or not.

Cycling in Central Park is ok. The rest of the city can be a bit “adventurous” and not for anyone who’s not a confident cyclist. 

7 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Cycling in Central Park is ok. The rest of the city can be a bit “adventurous” and not for anyone who’s not a confident cyclist. 

Yeah, I don't cycle much, even in Edinburgh it's only on the cycle paths.