New York

the sub goalie

the sub goalie

We are looking to book a trip to New York in November.

Would love to hear any tips for hidden gems or even the usual tourist traps, what's good and what's not.

So far on our list we are thinking a hockey game at the garden, a Broadway show, the Soprano's tour and a trip to Woodbury Common.  

10 minutes ago, the sub goalie said:

Would love to hear any tips for hidden gems or even the usual tourist traps, what's good and what's not.

So far on our list we are thinking a hockey game at the garden, a Broadway show, the Soprano's tour and a trip to Woodbury Common.  

I had that on my TODO list for 2020 but events took over.

Not sure I would feel confident booking something that far ahead for the U.S. given how things keep getting messed up just as you feel comfortable.

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It's worth taking a wee trip on the Staten Island Ferry for the views during the crossing.

Is it still free ?

Got some amazing snaps of Lower Manhattan when crossing !

As regards hidden gems, there are too many to list and depends on OP's preferences !

Drinking wise, our “ base “ was The Spring Lounge on Spring and Mulberry. A great wee boozer.

33 minutes ago, Boab said:

Is it still free ?

Got some amazing snaps of Lower Manhattan when crossing !

As regards hidden gems, there are too many to list and depends on OP's preferences !

Drinking wise, our “ base “ was The Spring Lounge on Spring and Mulberry. A great wee boozer.

It was a long time ago that I was there but I checked and yes, it is.

46 minutes ago, Hugh Phamism said:

Rudy's Bar in Hells Kitchen. $3 pints and free hot dogs.

Was my local when i lived round the corner. Had some mental/bizarre nights in there.

8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Get off Manhattan. Lots of people don't. 

For a first timer, they won't even scratch the surface of Manhattan but, yes, I agree, enjoyed Brooklyn far more !

N Lincs Jambo

Almost 20 years since I was there but I found NYC to be absolutely amazing. Great food, very friendly people and loads to do. From a touristy point of view, we did the three hour cruise around Manhatten Island - I would highly recommend it. We also took a helicopter trip but that had to be pre-booked and although it went ahead the cloud level was pretty low so far less to see than would normally be possible.

Also if you're staying in a decentish hotel get to know the Concierge. He/she will be able to recommend things and make bookings for you (certainly worked for us when we dined in Little Italy).

Apart from that, do things you can't or wouldn't normally do back home. It will be well worth it. 

the sub goalie
47 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I had that on my TODO list for 2020 but events took over.

Not sure I would feel confident booking something that far ahead for the U.S. given how things keep getting messed up just as you feel comfortable.

It is actually November 2023 we are looking to go, just realised I missed the year off.

Just googled Rudy's Bar and looks right up my street.  The Mrs is googling roof top bars etc but will defo be going for a peeve in Rudy's.

the sub goalie
2 minutes ago, Boab said:

For a first timer, they won't even scratch the surface of Manhattan but, yes, I agree, enjoyed Brooklyn far more !

I have been before but it was around 20 year ago.  Going with the Mrs, her pal and hubby who haven't been so looking to have a list of things we defo want to do.  Only going for 4 nights so we will whittle it down.  When I was there I loved getting a coffee and sit people watching and taking it all in.

4 minutes ago, Boab said:

Even if you set aside one night to have dinner in DUMBO and walk the bridge back. I reckon that's a must do in NYC.

Oh it’s a great city . I had always wanted to visit New York and me and the ex went to there before heading to Houston . It was also my birthday too so extra special time . We stated in mid Manhattan and it’s such an easy place to get around too . We mainly walked to most places . Had a great meal in Greenwich village for my birthday 🎉 and did the usual spots . The food was amazing too . It’s one of my favourite cities . Even met Mickey Rooney who was doing a talk show and we were in the audience . He was really nice 👌 

Just now, JamesM48 said:

Oh it’s a great city . I had always wanted to visit New York and me and the ex went to there before heading to Houston . It was also my birthday too so extra special time . We stated in mid Manhattan and it’s such an easy place to get around too . We mainly walked to most places . Had a great meal in Greenwich village for my birthday 🎉 and did the usual spots . The food was amazing too . It’s one of my favourite cities . Even met Mickey Rooney who was doing a talk show and we were in the audience . He was really nice 👌 

And also saw some filming of a Nicolas cafe film and too but didn’t see him 

24 minutes ago, the sub goalie said:

It is actually November 2023 we are looking to go, just realised I missed the year off.

Just googled Rudy's Bar and looks right up my street.  The Mrs is googling roof top bars etc but will defo be going for a peeve in Rudy's.

230 and Fifth is a must if you are doing one of these. Lower side of Manhattan, and the views are brilliant. Don't remember if they were seasonal only, but they do a cracking hot spiced cider to keep the cold out.

If you fancy a good walk, get up onto the High Line. It's an old elevated railway that's been repurposed as a walkway/greenway. It's stunning.

Edited by trotter

the sub goalie
4 minutes ago, trotter said:

230 and Fifth is a must if you are doing one of these. Lower side of Manhattan, and the views are brilliant. Don't remember if they were seasonal only, but they do a cracking hot spiced cider to keep the cold out.

If you fancy a good walk, get up onto the High Line. It's an old elevated railway that's been repurposed as a walkway/greenway. It's stunning.

Nice one mate, will take a look for the rooftop bars.

1 hour ago, the sub goalie said:

For rooftop, defo try 230 Fifth https://www.230-fifth.com/ great views of ESB and decent food and drinks. They even supply blankets in cold weather.

Another good spot is Stone Street in the downtown financial district. Very busy wee street with outdoor seating and plenty bars. Easy to drop into after coming off the Staten Island ferry.

There are lots of rooftop bars in Brooklyn these days as well, get great views of the skyline from there. Berry Park, Bar Blondeau, Westlight to name a few, but plenty in Manhattan as well.

Managed to get there in Feb 2020 just as Covid was rampaging through the city but before anyone knew.

3 was amazing and there's that much to do it wouldnprobably take 3 trips to get it all in.

Nobody has mentioned the New York City Pass yet. I think there are 2 to choose from with different attractions. Covers all the main events though for about £100 per person I think.

Would also highly recommend 230 and Fifth for the rooftop bar. Amazing place to have a drink and something to eat. Wasn't even busy when I was there either.

Some place.

All roads lead to Gorgie

There are a number of people doing walking tours around NY and streaming them live on YouTube. They often pass little hidden gems as well as well known places like Times Square. Worth watching to get an insight into the lay out of the place and interesting places to see. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

Also being live you can post questions or ask them to take a detour to see something close by.

Slightly off the subject but looking to go to San Francisco and Vegas in September..what’s the story with Covid over there at the moment and are tests required to get in at the moment?

I know I’m not going till September but just no sure about booking at the moment incase I end up out of pocket 

Take a trip out to Coney Island. No doubt come November it will be quiet and more bleak than ever but it still shows a side of what life was like in 1960s America and the journey by the subway is over ground from Brooklyn, giving an impression of what living in NY is like. 

Other interesting places are the Yankees Stadium surroundings, with the overhead subway line, souvenir shops and local characters it is like a scene from Kojak, and Brooklyn, which is a working town centre in its own right and with areas like Brooklyn Heights and Williamsburg worth a peep.   

6 hours ago, the sub goalie said:

Personally...

- Take in a night boat trip 

- Do the One World Observatory (on a Sunday as the area is much quieter and during the day as the lift trip and the way the view is done is spectacular)

- The High Line is a lovely walk

- The Rockafella trip up at night is great (used a pass)

- Look at a multi-trip tour package before you go (We booked at Maddison Square Garden gift shop, think they were called Explorer passes)

- Get used to walking before you go

- Only take a yellow cab from the airport, the trains are actually fine if you're good at stuff like that

- Times Square is pish

- Sooooo many amazing cafes and bagel places down Lower East Side

- We done a cool bus tour called The Ride which was waaay better than we expected (used the pass thing) Another one that’s good at night.

- Grand Central Station is beautiful, depends what you're into.

Couple of photos just to show getting off the island at night can be decent, and taking One World in during the day is better to appreciate it and also take in the memorial :(

D149C421-E49E-447E-A68D-2EB9C11197C4.jpeg

10CBD236-54D7-408E-A7BF-D02BCF62C078.jpeg

You can sign up to be in the draw for tickets for Jimmy Fallon or Stephen Colbert, both free and are supposedly drawn randomly but we put that we were from Scotland in the notes and we got offered multiple tickets. Was a great afternoon, though who the guests are would also be a bit of a lottery! Brie Olson was the main star we saw on Fallon 

Baseball. The NY Mets. Realise I saw them (2007) just in time before they demolished Shea Stadium. Their patrons reminded me a bit of Hearts fans: optimistic/frustrated/long suffering/ passionate/saying never going back/ then returning without fail for the next game which was the following night

A good walk over the Brooklyn bridge then a visit to the NY transit museum is a must if you like trains 🚄 

rudi must stay

Book yourself a hotel on Staten Island. Getting the boat over everyday is a magical experience and it's free now

Edited by rudi must stay

17 hours ago, theshed said:

Slightly off the subject but looking to go to San Francisco and Vegas in September..what’s the story with Covid over there at the moment and are tests required to get in at the moment?

I know I’m not going till September but just no sure about booking at the moment incase I end up out of pocket 

Before you can enter you need to take a supervised LFT the day before. When you are over there the local rules take over, some cities have vaccine passports for anything inside, restaurants, museums etc... (New York does, pretty sure Vegas doesn't, not sure on San Francisco), so worth checking that out.

But other than the negative test pre departure and potential vaccine passport to go inside of venunes, nothing else is required at present.

the sub goalie
1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Too long a plane trip for me🤕, so will never be there, plenty you tube videos i can watch, hope the OP

enjoys his trip.

Haha I'm not the best flyer either but I always fly with Mr Jack Daniels which helps.

20 hours ago, theshed said:

I was in SF early December. Everywhere was checking C-19 vaccine passports, but most places still open for business. Californians are good at wearing masks.

3 hours ago, jvm32 said:

Before you can enter you need to take a supervised LFT the day before. When you are over there the local rules take over, some cities have vaccine passports for anything inside, restaurants, museums etc... (New York does, pretty sure Vegas doesn't, not sure on San Francisco), so worth checking that out.

But other than the negative test pre departure and potential vaccine passport to go inside of venunes, nothing else is required at present.

👍👍

if you're going late november (around thanksgiving) the shops have their xmas window displays and saks on 5th avenue do a cool light show on the front of their building, we went november 2021.

i watched some you tube tours by tomdnyc to get some ideas - hes entertaining and knowledgable.

chelsea market has some good food stalls its indoor just at the end of the highline so gets you out the cold both are close to little island. bleeker st pizza is nearby for a slice of nonna maria.

theres a cable car around 54th street (near bloomingdales - too expensive for me) its just around a 15 minute trip that goes to roosevelt island not much to see on the island but its a nice wee thig to do, your travel card (subway)can be used to pay for it and central park is nearby. 

as others have suggested go to brooklyn - subway to city hall through the park and you're at the start of the bridge maybe 45mins to cross it

Francis Albert

Until Covid struck we had been spending a week in New York every year for 15 years or more. Never tired of it. Lots of great suggestions on here. Not everything will appeal to everyone (Times Square is worth visiting only once IMO) but there is something for everyone. A couple of suggestions maybe appealling to an older generation. Birdland jazz club. A lot if it is too modern now for my taste but the Louis Armstrong Eternity Band does a Wednesday show with some great musicians and great music. The leader recommended a visit to Armstrong's house in Corona, Queens which was great for getting off the tourist track and the house shows how modestly even word superstars used to live.

Coney Island is a nice subway ride (mostly above ground) from Manhattan and retains some of its old down-market charm with Nathan's hotdogs, a freakshow and carnival rides and a great beach. Odessa next door is little Russia with still some quaint teashops and restaurants. 

Edited by Francis Albert

If you're headed over towards the end of November, check if the christmas lights are up in Dyker Heights in Brooklyn. An entire neighbourhood decorates their houses/gardens - it's pretty sweet. THe ice rink and market/stalls in Bryant Park are cool as well. 

On 11/01/2022 at 12:50, the sub goalie said:

Took my wife for her 30th 5 years ago. We arrived on a Thursday, went straight to Central Park to trumps ice rink. We were practically only people on it around 7pm at night! Was amazed how quiet the park was. Fri/sat the streets were mobbed. Obviously more locals and maybe other Americans travelling in for a weekend. 

Was desperate to catch an NHL game. Rangers were at home on the Saturday mid afternoon. Was over $200 a ticket though so caught the evening college game between North dakota and Boston. Was brilliant. Still about 14000 in the crowd and had great seats behind the TV cameras for $60 each. 

Can also echo the sentiments about the rock at night. We went on a pass...up at lunchtime and back up for nightfall. 

Also, one world trade on a Sunday morning....was fairly quiet and the museum too whi h seemed all the more poignant as you didn't feel rushed to walk round.

We really enjoyed the Christmas spectacular with the rockettes at City Music Hall. Get tickets for that if you are in any way festive minded!

Didn't see it mentioned but if you're in the area, a stroll through chinatown is interesting for weird and wonderful food you'd probablt never try!  Well i, it was when we were last there, Feb '99.  Really can't go wrong in NYC.

I don't know if they still do it but the first time I visited NY, I took a helicopter transfer from Newark airport, where I arrived in the States, to Manhattan. It was a nice introduction to the city.

On 11/01/2022 at 13:08, redjambo said:

It's worth taking a wee trip on the Staten Island Ferry for the views during the crossing.

Yes well worth doing this 👍 I did and it was free in 2018.

Views back to Manhattan are incredible.

Walk over Brooklyn Bridge at night towards Manhattan. Amazing sight.

Do one of the open top bus tours. We had a great guide who knew his stuff. $20 tip at the end but we'll deserved.

Top of Rockefeller center just before the sun sets is the best sight. Do not do the Empire State Building over this. Top of the Rock is much better.

There was a wee gem of an Irish bar on Times Square (can't remember the name just now) but had live music and was a brilliant evening.