Media buzzwords

milky_26

Why do the media, mainly news media and I use media in the loosest sense all use the same buzzwords for certain types of story.

Things like if it is a sex story it is always a romp, if a football club signs a new player it is a swoop etc. Is there no originality or pride taken in people's writing?

It's especially bad when it comes to headlines.

And since the advent of social media and 24 hour news, they have to be almost "clickbait" every single time just to get noticed in the soupy fog of the internet.

"LOCALS SEETHE AT ROADWORKS" But when you read it, nobody is that bothered

"LOCALS IN STICHES AT HILARIOUS SHOP SIGN" But when you read it, it's shan patter that only an imbecile would find amusing

It doesn't help that all the experienced, proper journalists have quit or retired and most newspapers are now staffed by weans.

52 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Why do the media, mainly news media and I use media in the loosest sense all use the same buzzwords for certain types of story.

Things like if it is a sex story it is always a romp, if a football club signs a new player it is a swoop etc. Is there no originality or pride taken in people's writing?

Was just thinking about this yesterday. 

Nathanial Atkinson “Jetted” into Edinburgh!

Did he not just arrive in Edinburgh? Had to JET in. Everyone knows you fly in a jet from bloody Austraila FFS!

Edited by Pans Jambo

13 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Was just thinking about this yesterday. 

Nathanial Atkinson “Jetted” into Edinburgh!

Did he not just arrive in Edinburgh? Had to JET in. Everyone knows you fly in a jet from bloody Austraila FFS!

I came back to my mind due to someone on the transfer thread bringing it up that a player never just signs a new contract but always pens one.

It is a proper seethe of mine

Byyy The Light

I think journalists and politicians have the same problems. The majority go in to it with a genuine passion and belief they can and will make a difference but that enthusiasm is hammered out of them 5 mins in the door.

Rather than piss again the wind and get shunned, they tow the line and by then it’s too late.

I P Knightley

If anyone were to offer me to go to an "eaterie", they'd get their feckin head panned in.

There's plenty of acceptable words (restaurant, cafe, curry shop, chippy, pizza house, etc.) Absolutely nae need for that awful word.

JKB is just as bad.

Everything needed "addressing" not so long ago, now everything is a "narrative".

Dumbos trying to look intelligent patter imo.

"A source close to said..."

"The *insert rag title* understands..."

Both used so that the rag in question can make up whatever bollocks it wants with absolutely no recourse. Wanks. 

“ fleeing “ domestic abuse is often used, when in fact victims often leave in a planned and controlled fashion 

( less risky for them) 

Yes the language used for Corona has been done to death really 

“ surge “ “ spike” “ alArming “ etc when in fact a lot of the time those words haven’t been appropriate . It’s click bait 

My Mrs watches that crap love island and the lot of them always have a word they use like "100 percent" instead of Yes and "Literally" at the end of every sentence. I must be getting old (43) because the twenty something year olds really get on my tits Literally 😄.

I P Knightley

"Sex act" when they mean blowjob. That's another one from the tabloids.

There used to be tabloid stories saying that X and Y had been involve in a "sex act which is too disgusting to describe in a family newspaper" or words to that effect. To be fair, that might have not been blowjobs but bum sex.

6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

All about getting it stuck in your head. Loving with covid is the new one.

Is that a new channel 5 show?

I P Knightley
6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

All about getting it stuck in your head. Loving with covid is the new one.

I imagine that entails a lot of coughing and spluttering while you do it.

I P Knightley

Very few houses are just "houses". They must be stated with their value. They're "£400k houses/pads". Once you go above £1m, they become "mansions".

Салатные палочки

One you don't see much these days is "crack" to describe a football team. Almost always Eastern European. 

"Hearts were drawn against crack Yugoslavian side Velez Mostar" or "Austrian cracks Austria Vienna". 

Салатные палочки

"Lags" to describe prisoners. 

"Lags at Scotland's toughest prison will tuck into a FULL Christmas dinner with ALL THE TRIMMINGS and there will even be VEGAN and HALAL options". 

Have a read of the newspapers from 50 years, perhaps even later, backwards in time. Largely dry as dust. They were there almost purely to inform. Today's newspapers are there not only to inform but also to entertain, shock, amuse and, sadly, to persuade you to adopt certain political and societal points of view. And they're up against a feckload of other media trying to do exactly the same thing. You can't do that with dry terminology.

2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

If anyone were to offer me to go to an "eaterie", they'd get their feckin head panned in.

There's plenty of acceptable words (restaurant, cafe, curry shop, chippy, pizza house, etc.) Absolutely nae need for that awful word.

How about eatooterie though. ;) A lovely expression that should be used much more, imo.

A house for sale on the property market that is in good nick is now described as 'in turn-key' condition.

Skivingatwork

Travel Chaos

Can be used to describe;

A few planes delayed at Heathrow 

A tailback on the M25

Any disruption to public transport on London 

3 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I hate that word too - to the extent of avoiding any place that describes itself so.

There was a thing on Off The Ball a couple of months ago about words the media use that are never used in normal conversation.  The one that stuck in my mind was ‘revellers’.  Has anyone ever said ‘I was out in town last night, it was full of revellers’?

I P Knightley
39 minutes ago, FWJ said:

I hate that word too - to the extent of avoiding any place that describes itself so.

There was a thing on Off The Ball a couple of months ago about words the media use that are never used in normal conversation.  The one that stuck in my mind was ‘revellers’.  Has anyone ever said ‘I was out in town last night, it was full of revellers’?

I wonder whether they preferred the chocolate creams or the raisin ones?

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

That’s what I first think of too.  (Best are the wee solid chocolate ones)

13 minutes ago, JWL said:

Pretty sure our upcoming evening fixture against Celtic, with us just giving them 1000 tickets will be described as 'powderkeg'.

they have already put out us slashing their allocation

6 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

"Sex act" when they mean blowjob. That's another one from the tabloids.

There used to be tabloid stories saying that X and Y had been involve in a "sex act which is too disgusting to describe in a family newspaper" or words to that effect. To be fair, that might have not been blowjobs but bum sex.

Yup. Knife attack story and you get to know exact details....stabbed 11 times in the neck, chest and face.

But sex act...nooooooo....no-one gets to know where the willy went.

6 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

One you don't see much these days is "crack" to describe a football team. Almost always Eastern European. 

"Hearts were drawn against crack Yugoslavian side Velez Mostar" or "Austrian cracks Austria Vienna". 

Flip side to that was when you were drawn against some shite team who would then be described as an 'Unknown Quantity'.

8 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Mate of mine has a peanut allergy, thankfully as is about to become apparent, not that serious. In high school he used to love playing what he called "Revelle Roulette".

A wee bit windy with some rain, now has to have a name. Storm ??? Gies peace. I thought Scottish people showed their distain for this when they christened* one 'Hurricane Bawbag'. 

It's just weather, see The US and Japan for the real deal**. 

Other everyday buzzwords or expressions. 

Boris Johnson is Boris and everyone else is referred to by their second name. The same thing used to happen with Walter Smith and everyone else was referred to by the second name. Then we had Steven Gerrard's Rangers. Pathetic.

13 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Yup. Knife attack story and you get to know exact details....stabbed 11 times in the neck, chest and face.

But sex act...nooooooo....no-one gets to know where the willy went.

:rofl:

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

A wee bit windy with some rain, now has to have a name. Storm ??? Gies peace. I thought Scottish people showed their distain for this when they christened* one 'Hurricane Bawbag'. 

It's just weather, see The US and Japan for the real deal**. 

Other everyday buzzwords or expressions. 

Aye, a wee bit snow and it's a "Polar Blast" :lol: