Is the SPFL the best wee league in European Football?

Restonbabe

Ron and his fellow yank owners via the way of a deloitte survey believes so. 

According to this bbc article. We are being undersold 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58699735

Not a shock that sky value 4 OF games a season at 30 million then the rest is scraped together to get a package. 

IMO BT led the way with coverage. 

Here is where i am at with my 2 bit thinking of the direction of Scottish football and the power struggle within. 

Far far too many diddy clubs (Brechin & Cowdenbeath) have far too much of a say in the overall governance of the SFA. 

42 member clubs i dont think is too many for an organisation to be able to successfully manage a co existence. 

There are compelling and interesting arguments up for debate in that article that needs to be addressed and debated on.

The main issue for me is the non existence of a commercial arm of the league in promoting the package to media outlets for distrubution. 

Highlights, podcasts, weekly shows. In depth analysis of each member club and the history of the league and heritage. (for every club) 

Second main issue is match day experience. Its almost 40 ****ing years since you were allowed a pint at half time up here because of the violence at games. 

The game has moved on exponentially since. 

Yet we are still shackled to the notion fans cannot behave for a few hours on a Saturday. 

Give you an example. Hamilton away, nearest pub is miles away for an away fan. Equates to having to use a supporters bus, public transport or drive to the game just in time for kick off and leave immediately after the game. 

Where as they have a massive car park across from the ground where a fan zone could be erected and loads of social interaction between fans to create a buzz around actually going to the game. 

Could turn onto one of the best away day games just for experience rather than turning up and going away again. 

Same at Dingwall, Inverness, Dundee and Aberdeen. 

I really believe Scottish football is right up there with the top 6 leagues for storylines, fans, banter and experience. 

It just takes the right person to make it happen and unite the league to commercially drive revenue for all up. 

Will take a monumental shift in mindsets however. 

Especially after covid

1 minute ago, Restonbabe said:

Not a shock that sky value 4 OF games a season at 30 million then the rest is scraped together to get a package. 

Here is where i am at with my 2 bit thinking of the direction of Scottish football and the power struggle within. 

Far far too many diddy clubs (Brechin & Cowdenbeath) have far too much of a say in the overall governance of the SFA. 

42 member clubs i dont think is too many for an organisation to be able to successfully manage a co existence. 

There are compelling and interesting arguments up for debate in that article that needs to be addressed and debated on.

The main issue for me is the non existence of a commercial arm of the league in promoting the package to media outlets for distrubution. 

Highlights, podcasts, weekly shows. In depth analysis of each member club and the history of the league and heritage. (for every club) 

Second main issue is match day experience. Its almost 40 ****ing years since you were allowed a pint at half time up here because of the violence at games. 

Yet we are still shackled to the notion fans cannot behave for a few hours on a Saturday. 

Give you an example. Hamilton away, nearest pub is miles away for an away fan. Equates to having to use a supporters bus, public transport or drive to the game just in time for kick off and leave immediately after the game. 

Where as they have a massive car park across from the ground where a fan zone could be erected and loads of social interaction between fans to create a buzz around actually going to the game. 

Could turn onto one of the best away day games just for experience rather than turning up and going away again. 

I really believe Scottish football is right up there with the top 6 leagues for storylines, fans, banter and experience. 

It just takes the right person to make it happen and unite the league to commercially drive revenue for all up. 

Especially after covid

I welcome Ron’s or anyone’s attempt at talking up the Scottish game more. It’s a fantastic league with passionate fans. 

Some leagues in Europe look to be over already. 

We are blessed with a contest between Rangers and Celtic. Which could be over already soon. 

12 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

Especially after covid

I don’t ever remember being able to buy a pint at half time in any Scottish ground ever - and I’m talking nearly 50 years of going as an adult. Could be my failing memory though. 

7 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I don’t ever remember being able to buy a pint at half time in any Scottish ground ever - and I’m talking nearly 50 years of going as an adult. Could be my failing memory though. 

Me neither Dave. It just wasn’t a thing. 

4 minutes ago, Silverwolf said:

In terms of competitiveness, the SPFL isn’t even the best league in Scotland. Probably not even in the top 3.

The SPFL is all the leagues. The championship by far is one of the most competitive leagues in world football. 

Anyone can beat anyone on their day. 

Its another argument for the Premiership to be a 10 team league again. 

However an 16 team Premiership with a 12 championship is in my opinion the way forward. 

Both leagues being full time. 

Then colt b teams included below in the pyramid system 

11 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Me neither Dave. It just wasn’t a thing. 

Wasnt there a guy going about the terracing selling or was that a bootlegger? 

3 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

Nope. The ban was specifically about possession of alcohol in grounds so you weren’t allowed to take it in. Obviously it means you can’t buy it in the ground as a side effect of this. 

3fingersreid
7 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

There was a guy who went around selling 

Erra macaroon bars 

Erra ham rolls ( debatable it was ham )

and other shit that started with

Erra

Bad enough folk spilling juice , tea , coffee and bovril over you without adding alcohol into the equation 

13 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Erra macaroon bars 

Erra

Bad enough folk spilling juice , tea , coffee and bovril over you without adding alcohol into the equation 

Probably made a killing selling home shirts in the early 2000's.

That we are the most undersold league in Europe financially, isn't even up for debate in my eyes. Nations out there like Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Austria and Switzerland all have much better TV deals without necessarily being better leagues. No clubs from these countries have exactly made huge waves in Europe either in recent years. 

I guess you have to be careful what you wish for though. We've all seen the gentrification of English football, among other tournaments, due to the influx of TV and sponsorship income. I think I speak for us all here, when I say we don't want to see that up here. There's plenty arguments above too for how to improve the fan experience and fan culture, which I agree with, but again, can come at a price.

The fans are what make Scottish football. We don't need to be told how to support our teams, or how to enjoy a day out at the football. Fan zones at the grounds and pints inside would be nice, particularly the latter, again, come at a price. The romance of an away day for me is going to their town, drinking in their pubs and really soaking up the whole day. I'd definitely utilise alcohol in the stadium if it became a thing, but certainly wouldn't be too bothered about spending hours up at the stadium drinking in their ground. That's just me though.

I guess the main problem is, that when TV companies and sponsors pump the money in, they want a product that appeals to those unfamiliar with our game. It's not for the benefit of us, the already paying punters. If we could somehow have a broadcaster, or sponsors who really care for our game and project the things that make our game special to those of a wider audience, then that would be fantastic, but that's not really how business works sadly.

Prior to the 1976 licensing act pubs were shut in Scotland between 2:30 and 5. Probably helps explain why bars were not a feature in Scottish stadiums. Folk used to take cans and bottles in though. 

HeartsandonlyHearts

Our top league is $#!te because it’s set up to be a two team competition before the first game has even been played. So I don’t believe we’re the best wee league in Europe.

43 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Our top league is $#!te because it’s set up to be a two team competition before the first game has even been played. So I don’t believe we’re the best wee league in Europe.

This.

1 hour ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Pfft. You should try following Austrian football.

2 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Erra macaroon bars 

Erra

I remember the rolls more from trains to away games.

A cardboard box with a stack of ham/cheese rolls loose in the box.

Byyy The Light
2 hours ago, Restonbabe said:

The SPFL is all the leagues. The championship by far is one of the most competitive leagues in world football. 

However an 16 team Premiership with a 12 championship is in my opinion the way forward. 

This is exactly what I would like to see.

More controversially I’d like to see us go for rugby league style end of season play offs to crown a “grand” champion.

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Restonbabe said:

Especially after covid

Agreed especially the highlighted part.

We have great potential, but unfortutntaley folk don's see it and our governing bodies are far, far too comfortable with the set up.

Us, hibs and Aberdeen- maybe the Dundee clubs should really be looking at different things. Collectively we would have a bit of power.

The problem is the OF do not want anything to change and the other diddy clubs are hangers on to their coat tails and lick their bigoted arseholes and are happy for the crumbs as it lets them survive.

Throw in the part time clubs that base major decisions on things like  bus fare costs then you are ****ed before you start.

Massive change of governance is required along with a change of mindset by most clubs.

It won't happen.

Bazzas right boot

It wasn't the 2 recent  seasons we were in it.

:HeartsManspotrun:

Agree with your set up tho, makes perfect sense.

John Findlay
2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Prior to the 1976 licensing act pubs were shut in Scotland between 2:30 and 5. Probably helps explain why bars were not a feature in Scottish stadiums. Folk used to take cans and bottles in though. 

The taking of alcohol into football grounds in Scotland was banned after the riot at the end of the 1980 Scottish Cup final. No prizes for guessing which two sets of supporters were involved.

Interesting that SFA of the day fined both clubs £20,000 each. Yet couldn't do anything to the two clubs involved in the 2016 final.

3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

No, you definitely couldn’t do that.  👍

Bazzas right boot

Wrong Fred 

🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂span widget

Edited by Smith's right boot

Bazzas right boot
25 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Cannot run a business off 3 hrs drinking 25 days/evenings per year...

Surely it just becomes part of the the catering service, we run catering on matchdays with the same principle. we already serve alcohol in other Areas as well so almost zero ( if not zero) set up costs.

42 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

This is exactly what I would like to see.

More controversially I’d like to see us go for rugby league style end of season play offs to crown a “grand” champion.

So a 5th old firm league game, presumably with a 50/50 split at hampden, to close the season with a massive showpiece riot (especially if the team that finished 2nd in the table wins the "title"). Would certainly make headlines.

Byyy The Light
10 minutes ago, FTH said:

So a 5th old firm league game, presumably with a 50/50 split at hampden, to close the season with a massive showpiece riot (especially if the team that finished 2nd in the table wins the "title"). Would certainly make headlines.

Nah 16 team league, 30 games in total. Home and away.

Winner of that league gets the poorer of the Champions League places locked in.

Top 5 then go to the playoffs and work it like the rugby league ones.  Overall winner gets the better of the Champions league places. Means other teams like us get a better chance to get the Champions league spot.

Means we get more than just a flat 30 games, a showcase at the end of the season and more than likely at least 1 extra OF game (maybe 2) which would please the powers that be. 

B68158BA-C097-4654-8097-E25AFB1E6087.jpeg

Edited by Byyy The Light

andythejambo
4 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Erra macaroon bars 

Erra

There were about 3 or 4 of them dotted around the ground. Weegie accents, I can remember one of them who regularly wore a Rangers scarf. The meat and rolls were of questionable quality, and the Macaroon Bars were mashed Tattie and icing sugar covered in cocoa powder and coconut.  And you forgot "Erra Spearmint Chewing Gum" Never gave them a penny, but remember one of my mate's binning a roll after a couple of bites 🤮

3fingersreid
4 minutes ago, andythejambo said:

There were about 3 or 4 of them dotted around the ground. Weegie accents, I can remember one of them who regularly wore a Rangers scarf. The meat and rolls were of questionable quality, and the Macaroon Bars were mashed Tattie and icing sugar covered in cocoa powder and coconut.  And you forgot "Erra Spearmint Chewing Gum" Never gave them a penny, but remember one of my mate's binning a roll after a couple of bites 🤮

Yep chewing gum , probably early dated recycled too 😂😂🤮

LarrysRightFoot

In answer to the title question - I don’t really watch any other ‘wee’ league but if this is the best football is at an all time low. 

it may be the most bonkers though. 

10 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

Nah 16 team league, 30 games in total. Home and away.

Winner of that league gets the poorer of the Champions League places locked in.

Top 5 then go to the playoffs and work it like the rugby league ones.  Overall winner gets the better of the Champions league places. Means other teams like us get a better chance to get the Champions league spot.

Means we get more than just a flat 30 games, a showcase at the end of the season and more than likely at least 1 extra OF game (maybe 2) which would please the powers that be. 

B68158BA-C097-4654-8097-E25AFB1E6087.jpeg

I think I'll go for Hearts to be 3rd and lose the qualifier. Then we can go all the way to the final.

28 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I think I'll go for Hearts to be 3rd and lose the qualifier. Then we can go all the way to the final.

16 teams play each other twice.

Top 8 playoff , teams seeded 1 to 8  obviously. League winners have a bye to the semi final. Runner up have a bye to the QF 

European places are all up for grabs.

Highest ranked team gets home advantage, including final.

play off 

3v8 

4v7 

5v6

Qf 

Qf 1 

2 v lowest ranked T8 playoff winner

Qf2

Highest ranked playoff winner v Second highest ranked playoff winner .

SF 1 

1 v Winner of Qf with lowest rank team

Semi 2

Qf winner highest rank v qf loser with highest rank. 

Final

SF 1 v SF2 Winners are Champions of Scotland and are awarded CL place. 

Do the same for second relegation spot. Bottom automatic relegation. 2 promotion places from division below.

Edited by ri Alban

16 hours ago, Restonbabe said:

Especially after covid

I like your enthusiasm.

Unfortunately until there is a complete clear out from the top to bottom at the SFA and SPFL we won't see any change.

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

You're much better off winning the qualifier. Then win the next game and you're straight into the final. Lose and still in the semi.

If you lose the qualifier you have to win 3 in a row after that. 

1 hour ago, spacerjoe said:

You're much better off winning the qualifier. Then win the next game and you're straight into the final. Lose and still in the semi.

If you lose the qualifier you have to win 3 in a row after that. 

Against shite teams and a rematch with whomever.

Byyy The Light
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Top 8 playoff , teams seeded 1 to 8  obviously. League winners have a bye to the semi final. Runner up have a bye to the QF 

play off 

3v8 

4v7 

5v6

Qf 

Qf 1 

Qf2

SF 1 

Semi 2

Final

Do the same for second relegation spot. Bottom automatic relegation. 2 promotion places from division below.

This would work too, however I would relegate 2 automatically and 3rd place in league below can join the playoff.  Spreads the wealth in to the league below. I know play offs aren’t everyone’s bag but they would add genuine interest at the end of the season and give an outside chance of someone winning the league other than the OF. Say what you want about US sports but they get the notion that competition is healthy for the sport.

Certainly more exciting and interesting than the sham of a split and the mythical reward of “top 6”.

All this will never ever happen or even be considered sadly.

Edited by Byyy The Light

kingantti1874
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

play off 

3v8 

4v7 

5v6

Qf 

Qf 1 

Qf2

SF 1 

Semi 2

Final

Too complex..

16 team league.

play everyone twice. (30 games) then split

play everyone once ( 7 games) then split into 4 pots of 4 (3 games) 

you have a title shootout, a European shootout, a relegation shootout.. 

more games, more money, more teams, more variety, keeps the league closer for longer..

doesn’t solve all of the problems but solves a lot of them

Byyy The Light
14 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Too complex..

16 team league.

play everyone twice. (30 games) then split

play everyone once ( 7 games) then split into 4 pots of 4 (3 games) 

you have a title shootout, a European shootout, a relegation shootout.. 

more games, more money, more teams, more variety, keeps the league closer for longer..

doesn’t solve all of the problems but solves a lot of them

Worth a try too 👍🏼

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Against shite teams and a rematch with whomever.

Not really, it's one extra game against 4th or 5th, before you then have 2 games against 1st or 2nd again (guaranteed).

Win the qualifier and you can skip a game, plus force whoever comes 1st and 2nd to play an extra match and potentially get knocked out by a 'shite' team.

There easy route is to knock 2nd out. Worst case, you play them again which you would have done anyway.

Anything is better than what we have got 

If you remember the old 18 team league the current league is better although not perfect. 

Byyy The Light
4 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

If you remember the old 18 team league the current league is better although not perfect. 

Nobody is looking to go back to that format from what I can see. Besides, so much has changed not just in football but the world generally since then.

Our game needs freshened up.

I’m 40 in April and don’t remember anyone winning the league outside Rangers and Celtic. 

3 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

I do, it went stale because lack of investment.

Also the hooligan element of firms swayed a lot of fans away from the terracing. Not to mention the state of some grounds that were a major safety hazard after Hillsborough and heysel. 

Things are a lot better than they were 40 years aho.

iwasthere1954
On 08/01/2022 at 16:13, Locky said:

Pfft. You should try following Austrian football.

Even worse than our league is the Portuguese League. I've just looked at the figures and since the league was formed in 1834 there has been five winners. Benfica, Sporting and Porto have won all but two championship. Boavista and Belenenses have won it once each. 

jamboinglasgow
On 08/01/2022 at 14:05, Locky said:

That we are the most undersold league in Europe financially, isn't even up for debate in my eyes. Nations out there like Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Austria and Switzerland all have much better TV deals without necessarily being better leagues. No clubs from these countries have exactly made huge waves in Europe either in recent years. 

I guess you have to be careful what you wish for though. We've all seen the gentrification of English football, among other tournaments, due to the influx of TV and sponsorship income. I think I speak for us all here, when I say we don't want to see that up here. There's plenty arguments above too for how to improve the fan experience and fan culture, which I agree with, but again, can come at a price.

The fans are what make Scottish football. We don't need to be told how to support our teams, or how to enjoy a day out at the football. Fan zones at the grounds and pints inside would be nice, particularly the latter, again, come at a price. The romance of an away day for me is going to their town, drinking in their pubs and really soaking up the whole day. I'd definitely utilise alcohol in the stadium if it became a thing, but certainly wouldn't be too bothered about spending hours up at the stadium drinking in their ground. That's just me though.

I guess the main problem is, that when TV companies and sponsors pump the money in, they want a product that appeals to those unfamiliar with our game. It's not for the benefit of us, the already paying punters. If we could somehow have a broadcaster, or sponsors who really care for our game and project the things that make our game special to those of a wider audience, then that would be fantastic, but that's not really how business works sadly.

Completely agree with this.

I also think while there are big problems with the league being domianted by two teams, that shouldn't mean we dismiss a report like this with almost half the league pushing it. 

There needs to be sweeping changes on how the SPFL is run. It is an organisation under Doncaster and clubs who show little initiative and just fall back on whats done before or the bare minimum. What they need is people in the SPFL who can look to what other similar size leagues are doing to sell themselves, or stand out. They also need to get a marketing department in who sell the league and games to the wider public, go make videos that can be shared, brand the hell out of the league. Crucially, treat the clubs the same how they are marketed, as Barry Hearn said the Old Firm sell themselves you dont have to worry about that, its about selling the rest of the league.

21 minutes ago, iwasthere1954 said:

Even worse than our league is the Portuguese League. I've just looked at the figures and since the league was formed in 1834 there has been five winners. Benfica, Sporting and Porto have won all but two championship. Boavista and Belenenses have won it once each. 

1834? Shoorly shome mishtake 

Hectormasson
On 08/01/2022 at 13:39, 3fingersreid said:

Erra macaroon bars 

Erra

Errafisfaaal spermint chingum, that was a cellic Park one

On 08/01/2022 at 14:08, davemclaren said:

Think I can remember a TV advert about that back in the day. Think it was in a bar and a supporter was pished but ran out of money for more beer. So he sold his match ticket to buy more bevvy but the barman said the bar was shut. The message was something like “dont let drink ruin tje match” or something along those lines.