Hearts and H1b5 fans in Edinburgh

Ronald Villiers

50 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Aye, my cousin’s late husband was a Man U fan and often brought up the crowds they’d get playing in the old second division as a point made in response to the global shite they get thrown at them in modern day. They’ve always been a well supported club.

It may be a cliche but some clubs just seem to have that draw, an inexplicable attraction bedded in decades ago. Call it romance in a football sense, if you will. I feel Man U have that. I’d actually say most of the bigger clubs do in England who built their success before money swamped the game.  

Maybe to a lesser extent we are like that as opposed to the vermin?

I think the Munich disaster led to an increase in their support too.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PortyBeach

• Tazio

• Marvin

• John Findlay

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Is that because you wanted to be near your mother?  

Hard to be away from your mum when being born pal? :HeartsManspotrun:

I wonder if Hib5 support extends far beyond Edinburgh? We have fans travelling from all over the U.K. and those who travel from further afield; there are Hearts supporters in London, Newcastle, Middlesbrough,York,

Manchester, Birmingham and Wales and other cities on the South Coast, do Hib5 have this widespread fan base ? HHGH  ♥️ 

Edited by CARDIFFBOY

SomethingAboutObua

Hearts (and Rangers) have more fans in West Lothian, Midlothian, Fife and Central towards Falkirk than Hibs definitely, all the mining towns.

Leith round to Portobello and Niddrie and out to East Lothian definitely Hibs more

West Edinburgh and South Edinburgh Hearts, North Edinburgh reasonably mixed up to Leith imo  

3 minutes ago, CARDIFFBOY said:

I wonder if Hib5 support extends far beyond Edinburgh? We have fans travelling from all over the U.K. and those who travel from further afield; there are Hearts supporters in London, Newcastle, Manchester, Birmingham and Wales and other cities on the South Coast, do Hib5 have this widespread fan base ? HHGH  ♥️ 

They must have some fans based in Tyneside, at least.

I was in Central Station, Newcastle after Hibs lost the League Cup Final to Livingston when a train from Edinburgh pulled in. 
Off the train piled a dozen or so miserable-looking punters wearing Hibs scarves… 😂 

When we thrashed them in the 5-1 final getting a ticket for the Hearts end was like gold dust

1pp for us 

Hibbys could get as many as they wanted when requested

Says it all 

Doctor FinnBarr
23 hours ago, wishawjambo said:

We even outnumber them in lanarkshire 💪

My maw was a Wishy wuman, grew up in Kirk Road during the war then out to Stewarton Street when Dimsdale was built (still have an aunt in the same house). I was the only jambo running about the place in a Hearts top early 70s. Oddly enough my playmates were O'Hara's, Kane's and Lynch's.

2 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

They must have some fans based in Tyneside, at least.

I was in Central Station, Newcastle after Hibs lost the League Cup Final to Livingston when a train from Edinburgh pulled in. 
Off the train piled a dozen or so miserable-looking punters wearing Hibs scarves… 😂 

Think I might know one of them

3 hours ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

Hearts (and Rangers) have more fans in West Lothian, Midlothian, Fife and Central towards Falkirk than Hibs definitely, all the mining towns.

Leith round to Portobello and Niddrie and out to East Lothian definitely Hibs more

West Edinburgh and South Edinburgh Hearts, North Edinburgh reasonably mixed up to Leith imo  

Yer Arse!!! The Pans is a Hearts stronghold…(other than the arse cheeks supported by the ‘cafflics’ & the ‘masons’ n nat obviously).

On 09/01/2022 at 15:47, Shaggy2 said:

I’m not saying we own the toon or anything but based on supporters club size, Hearts v Hibs in the Pans is won hands down by us. Porty Hearts leave from the Pans, too. 
Pans Hibs only take buses to semis or finals whereas we take buses to almost every game. Our bus is always full (50-57 seater) for home games. There’s a couple of dozen Easter Road regulars I could name but there’s only about 3 Hibs fans in the Pans who regularly watch them home and away. 

My mates a Hibby down there. Go to the Goth with him sometimes and tbf everyone I get talking to is a Jambo. :lol: 

There is 1 hibs fan that lives in my neck of the woods, I used to see him at Chippenham train station after I finished work. I know there are Hearts fans in Wiltshire. One, used to post on here, he's a nice lad although I haven't seen him for a while. Another from Swindon is a regular on here. There's a few Hearts fans in Bristol too. Problem with Bristol is, there are too many Celtic fans 😡 fecking loads of them. However being just a short boat trip from Ireland I suppose they can be forgiven. 

13 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Probably more Chelsea, man Utd and man City "fans" in Scotland than Hibs and Hearts fans such is the influence of sky. 

The younger generation are definitely being lost. 

They're not really. I thought this 20 years ago and crowds are bigger now than them. Our away supporter is much younger too. There was definitely a period when we had the oldest away support in Scotland! 

9 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Yer Arse!!! The Pans is a Hearts stronghold…(other than the arse cheeks supported by the ‘cafflics’ & the ‘masons’ n nat obviously).

I’m in The Craft and our RWM is a Jambo, as is our IPM. The next incumbent is a Rangers fan although he has no family history of Rangers so you may have a point. 
I’m also a cafflic and when I was at primary school it was 90% Celtic. Not so much now that the town has grown by 50% or more and a lot of people, regardless of faith, would rather enrol in St Gabriel’s because it’s smaller. 

47 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

I’m in The Craft and our RWM is a Jambo, as is our IPM. The next incumbent is a Rangers fan although he has no family history of Rangers so you may have a point. 
I’m also a cafflic and when I was at primary school it was 90% Celtic. Not so much now that the town has grown by 50% or more and a lot of people, regardless of faith, would rather enrol in St Gabriel’s because it’s smaller. 

Yeah that's all true. It always pissed me off the old firm supporters growing up in the Pans. 60 miles away from Glasgow and cant support your local teams. Same story all over Scotland though. Poison passed on from father to son.

I would rather spend my time with a hibs supporter than either of the arse cheeks. No surprise St Gabriels were 90% Celtic. Was just the way it was back then (not sure if that's even changed).

Religious bigotry was disgusting back then. I admit I joined in on the naughty songs back in the early 80's but I was a kid and really didn't understand the full effect of what I was singing. It was just tribal. It embarrasses me and gives me the cringe now though.

Anyway, aside from those two, there was definitely more Jambos than hibees in the Pans when I grew up there!

54 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Yeah that's all true. It always pissed me off the old firm supporters growing up in the Pans. 60 miles away from Glasgow and cant support your local teams. Same story all over Scotland though. Poison passed on from father to son.

I would rather spend my time with a hibs supporter than either of the arse cheeks. No surprise St Gabriels were 90% Celtic. Was just the way it was back then (not sure if that's even changed).

Religious bigotry was disgusting back then. I admit I joined in on the naughty songs back in the early 80's but I was a kid and really didn't understand the full effect of what I was singing. It was just tribal. It embarrasses me and gives me the cringe now though.

Anyway, aside from those two, there was definitely more Jambos than hibees in the Pans when I grew up there!

All true and I’m much the same. Definitely more non-Celtic kids at St Gabriel’s now, though. I believe I was the only Hearts fan in the school when I started. My sister and a few cousins attended at the back of me and most of us still go to games. In fact, I’ve probably been to more Hearts games than the 18 Celtic fans in my class have seen Celtic combined. Only one still attends (or ever did attend) as far as I know. 

Edited by Shaggy2

2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Isn’t it the case that some East Lothian towns were “settled” as part of the Glasgow “overspill” programme in the ‘60s? The same is probably true for places elsewhere in the Lothians.

If so, that would explain a residual allegiance to Glasgow teams.
At least, it’s a more comforting explanation than thinking people are blanking their local sides.

59 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

Isn’t it the case that some East Lothian towns were “settled” as part of the Glasgow “overspill” programme in the ‘60s? The same is probably true for places elsewhere in the Lothians.

At least, it’s a more comforting explanation than thinking people are blanking their local sides.

Same in Penicuik. Always Hearts Number One in number but large influx of West of Scotland miners in the fifties brought Old Firm fans in. Their grandchildren are still supporting them. Some Hibbies but we are the biggest by far.

1 hour ago, PortyBeach said:

That's probably true for most of Scotland TBF but but 1960 was 62 years ago. I don't get why a lad who's 16 supports rangers and lives in Dunbar! The poison truly has been passed down (& I am not referring to just supporting the arse cheeks but the bigotry that goes along with it).

15 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Tranent too, I would imagine.

Watched an ER derby in the store club a few years back and it was 70/30 in Hearts' favour. No trouble, mind.