Hearts and H1b5 fans in Edinburgh

Ronald Villiers

1 hour ago, Hesh said:

You've got the Hearts club at Longstone. I cant think of a similar Hibs club anywhere 

The Hibs Club at Sunnyside just off Easter Road. 

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PortyBeach

• Tazio

• Marvin

• Rick James

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, Kev1998 said:

The reason there are so many jambo in leith is years ago hibs done a dirty on leith athletic,and they ended up going out the box.all the athletic fans turned to jambos and carried on down the generations.that story was told to me by an old st Bernards fan  who sold the pink in stockaree. Which was always hearts. 

I like the idea of the guy retaining his allegiance to St.Bernard’s, Kev!

I’ve never heard of Hibs doing anything untoward involving Leith Athletic (which doesn’t mean something didn’t happen, of course).
After WW2, Leith found themselves in Division “C” which comprised mainly reserve teams. As Leith were one of the few clubs in that Division fielding a first XI they petitioned for admission into the second tier as gates against various reserve sides weren’t great.

When this was refused, Leith responded by refusing to fulfil remaining fixtures and were consequently expelled from the League. Sadly, the club folded in 1954-55 in the aftermath of this decision. The irony was that the League later changed its mind and did what Leith had argued for by admitting first XI’s from Division “C” into the second tier.

Leith Athletic played at Old Meadowbank (which they shared with speedway) when they folded. There was a link to St Bernard’s FC in that Leith purchased Saints’ old grandstand in 1948 shown in this photo…

2B9303DB-A467-40F0-8FB6-1C0CEAE07C7E.jpeg

Goldstone Wonder

I’ve lived in various parts of Edinburgh from Shandon to D Mains and lots of flats all over central Edinburgh as a student, as well as 12 years in Dalgety Bay. I now live in one of the new developments in Granton near the lighthouse just down from the British Gas building. Can safely say this is the first time I have ever felt outnumbered by Hibbies. Loads of them in this part of the world. 

Jamstomorrow
1 hour ago, PortyBeach said:

That’s if the Hibs stadium actually lies within the Leith boundary. 
Given that the boundary line runs along Pilrig Street and crosses Leith Walk it would need to deviate some way to encompass the stadium. 
Maybe the boundary does deviate - I’m open to persuasion on that one. How significant is it that the stadium doesn’t have a EH6 postcode?

I suspect we will continue to despise them wherever they are actually from.

Ronald Villiers
18 hours ago, stuart500 said:

Slightly off topic but I have always had a "hobo radar" and it very rarely fails me. 

This has happened over many years at works functions where partners have been invited. I seemed to instinctively know when being introduced to "Paula from the Mail room's" partner/spouse that he is "from the dark side".

Of course polite conversation usually flows at the beginning of the night but eventually his mask will slip (watching him spooning in the contents of his finger bowl is usually the first clue). Then someone brings up football and he states quite brazenly that he is "proud to be a hibby" blah blah blah. He is not impressed by the large smirk on my face.

However at the same time a box is mentally ticked off in my head that my radar has once again successfully detected "one of them". 

It would follow at that point that any pretence of a cordial evening was going to be unlikely. Finish meal quickly and move away from the guy in the court suit. 

Anyone else get the same vibes on nights out? What gives them away?

I'm similar mate, I seem to be able to sniff them out.  Some signs are obvious with the wee squint beedy eyes, hunch on the back, wee t-rex like track marked arms, but there are other giveaways.  Appearance is the first thing I pick up on.  Usually a cheap, ill fitting Matalan type court suit if in a formal setting.  Almost guaranteed to have something on that is green in a less formal environment.  I mean that dirty dark shade of green.  The next thing I look at is the way they conduct themselves and their drink of choice.  They get louder as the Frosty Jack's go down and start to become obnoxious.  Their hygiene and halitosis are something else that gives it away.  Bitterness and delusion is a trait that they all display and is confirmation for me that they or Hibby.  They all show it, in particular if they discover you're a Jambo.  I suppose it's understandable, afterall they've been our bitches since their creation.  I wonder if their new Norwegian signing is aware of their derby history.  He is apparently ready to bleed for the team.  He's ready prepared for the dry Maroon boaby!

Ronald Villiers
9 hours ago, Smithee said:

Then you've got the good Jambos of Lithgae, maroon black bitches

Need to change that to black hounds Smithee.  Too many folk will be offended.  

Aye sporty.auld team who used to sell the pink news on the bridge in Stockbridge many moons ago.he told me when I was a snapper to walk along the road and I would see where the gymnasium(their ground was situated) .years later in the boozer I was showing some of the boys in stockbridgeold photos of the web of cathkin park etc .and asked them where this ground was(gymnasium).and to my amazement none of them knew ha ha.

Another hobbo give away is their taste in music, Fish and the Proclaimers🙇 jeez, you couldn't get worse than that. The worst of it is they only like them because they support the wee team. Sad barstewards the lot of them.  

On 08/01/2022 at 10:43, pablo said:

That's quite a difficult question to answer in my opinion because of two main factors

1. Hibs support is definitely more concentrated in the city than Hearts is.

2. They're generally more visible in their support. Things like those chav number plates and wearing replica gear in everyday situations. 

One of them has a H1B5 number plate!

🤣

3 hours ago, Kev1998 said:

Aye sporty.auld team who used to sell the pink news on the bridge in Stockbridge many moons ago.he told me when I was a snapper to walk along the road and I would see where the gymnasium(their ground was situated) .years later in the boozer I was showing some of the boys in stockbridgeold photos of the web of cathkin park etc .and asked them where this ground was(gymnasium).and to my amazement none of them knew ha ha.

Yes, it must have been tough to lose your football club.
Funny too, how quickly the memory of the club - Scottish Cup winners - fades. 

The Gymnasium ground - your Pink News mate might have been at this match?

1 minute ago, PortyBeach said:

Yes, it must have been tough to lose your football club.
Funny too, how quickly the memory of the club - Scottish Cup winners - fades. 

The Gymnasium ground - your Pink News mate might have been at this match?

Oops - meant to attach this

DE70DBAB-FF7E-4F46-8EB7-05CA0D08D7C9.jpeg

18 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

Oops - meant to attach this

DE70DBAB-FF7E-4F46-8EB7-05CA0D08D7C9.jpeg

It’s crazy when you think about it now a football ground in that part of town. 

4 hours ago, Ronald Villiers said:

I'm similar mate, I seem to be able to sniff them out.  Some signs are obvious with the wee squint beedy eyes, hunch on the back, wee t-rex like track marked arms, but there are other giveaways.  Appearance is the first thing I pick up on.  Usually a cheap, ill fitting Matalan type court suit if in a formal setting.  Almost guaranteed to have something on that is green in a less formal environment.  I mean that dirty dark shade of green.  The next thing I look at is the way they conduct themselves and their drink of choice.  They get louder as the Frosty Jack's go down and start to become obnoxious.  Their hygiene and halitosis are something else that gives it away.  Bitterness and delusion is a trait that they all display and is confirmation for me that they or Hibby.  They all show it, in particular if they discover you're a Jambo.  I suppose it's understandable, afterall they've been our bitches since their creation.  I wonder if their new Norwegian signing is aware of their derby history.  He is apparently ready to bleed for the team.  He's ready prepared for the dry Maroon boaby!

😂👍

6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

It’s crazy when you think about it now a football ground in that part of town. 

Yes, it seems so out of place now. I suppose for some of the more genteel residents in the surrounding streets it “lowered the tone” back then, too.

Mind you, Saints only attracted 2-3,000 fans normally.

However, I believe their record attendance at the Gym was 15,000 v Hibs in a Division 2 clash in November 1932. It might have been a tad more raucous in the New Town that afternoon.

Goldstone Wonder

I came across the history of St Bernards when walking through King George IV park. As already stated, mind-blowing to think there was a league football ground in the New Town! 

On 08/01/2022 at 13:49, Locky said:

Think there's definitely a case for their support being quite centre around the city itself. Don't know if I'd agree with them 'outnumbering' us in Edinburgh, but if you could somehow do a census of both clubs supporters, I genuinely think a considerable higher percentage of their fanbase live in the city than ours.

Previously lived in Dalkeith and there was definitely more Hearts than Hibs. Musselburgh and Prestonpans seems a bit of a mix. Definitely plenty of them around but no shortage of Hearts fans either. Never lived out West Lothian but seems like a lot of Jambos through there, same goes for Fife.

I’m not saying we own the toon or anything but based on supporters club size, Hearts v Hibs in the Pans is won hands down by us. Porty Hearts leave from the Pans, too. 
Pans Hibs only take buses to semis or finals whereas we take buses to almost every game. Our bus is always full (50-57 seater) for home games. There’s a couple of dozen Easter Road regulars I could name but there’s only about 3 Hibs fans in the Pans who regularly watch them home and away. 

14 minutes ago, Goldstone Wonder said:

I came across the history of St Bernards when walking through King George IV park. As already stated, mind-blowing to think there was a league football ground in the New Town! 

This is an interesting site to explore and contains information on Saints’ kits over the years…

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/

20 hours ago, andi17 said:

Oxgangs is not part of Edinburgh Bar-Ox land is an independent republic lol

Ha ha! You're probably right pal - I was born in the house in Oxgangs Farm and am very proud of that. I always joke there is money in the will for a plaque bearing my details on the wall.  Wouldn't be that exciting though.. 😄

1 hour ago, Kev1998 said:

Believe me porty  ,Stockbridge in the old days was nothing like it is now.

Yes, I think the expression is that it’s become “gentrified”.

I confess I don’t know a lot about the place but I do know it was a lot more of a working-class district in years gone by.
I’ve read about the likes of the now-gone Jamaica Street and India Place which despite their run-down nature no doubt produced some wonderful people whose descendants, like those from other areas in Edinburgh, probably live on the outskirts of the city.

I can imagine the old Stockbridge you’re talking about was a vibrant, colourful, place.
And that’s without mentioning Dora’s place in Danube Street or Madame Doubtfire’s…

John Findlay
9 hours ago, Goldstone Wonder said:

I’ve lived in various parts of Edinburgh from Shandon to D Mains and lots of flats all over central Edinburgh as a student, as well as 12 years in Dalgety Bay. I now live in one of the new developments in Granton near the lighthouse just down from the British Gas building. Can safely say this is the first time I have ever felt outnumbered by Hibbies. Loads of them in this part of the world. 

Saltire Road?

Ha ha ,colourful is a good word to use porty.that is certainly what it was.when they pulled down old bedford street and India place as you said the families were recanted to new builds .pilton drylaw kiddie etc.so much so that whenever you are blathering older guys in pubs .clubs etc.there were loads that originated from gods countryha ha.ps when I was wee we used to round to corals selling rings for the older team.and trying our utmost to earn our£1 for cleaning out madame countries shop uurrgghhh.

14 minutes ago, Kev1998 said:

Sorry porty. Niddrie  and doras  are the words misspelled 

I understood your meaning, mate. 
I bet you could tell some wonderful stories about Old Stockbridge!

You should write it all down - I bet it would be a great read!

3 hours ago, Kev1998 said:

Believe me porty  ,Stockbridge in the old days was nothing like it is now.

It’s kind of ironic that one of the reasons Stockbridge became fashionable a few years ago was that flats, especially St Stephen’s Street were cheap to rent so lots of arty types moved into the area. I used to know lots of art students and musicians that lived there as it was the closest place to town they could afford. 

Jambo_jim2001
On 08/01/2022 at 10:24, Ronald Villiers said:

We out number them in Falkirk, Bo'ness and Linlithgow aswell.  

Was one Hibs fan where I live,got chased out by most the rangers support,I am the only Jambo though,they think of me as a cousin of William for some reason,rips my knitting tbh.

Safely say we have the larger support, which has been demonstrated over the years, particularly with the various semi finals and final turn outs. 

Demographics in support base has certainly changed over the last 20-30 years which has saw movement away from localised living , certainly not the same as when I was growing up in the 70/80s

13 hours ago, Birregrande said:

Ha ha! You're probably right pal - I was born in the house in Oxgangs Farm and am very proud of that. I always joke there is money in the will for a plaque bearing my details on the wall.  Wouldn't be that exciting though.. 😄

Is that because you wanted to be near your mother?  

Man City fans have always made the same claim about having more fans in Manchester than United.  The empty seats at Etihad most weeks may contradict this view.  

24 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Man City fans have always made the same claim about having more fans in Manchester than United.  The empty seats at Etihad most weeks may contradict this view.  

I think the City fans’ claim is also a dig at the stereotypical “Home Counties United fan” and the international flavour of their support base.

Like it or lump it, City fans have to accept that United are now a global brand. 

City may well have more support within the confines of the city of Manchester. Empty seats at the Etihad doesn’t necessarily prove otherwise.

3 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

I think the City fans’ claim is also a dig at the stereotypical “Home Counties United fan” and the international flavour of their support base.

Like it or lump it, City fans have to accept that United are now a global brand. 

City may well have more support within the confines of the city of Manchester. Empty seats at the Etihad doesn’t necessarily prove otherwise.

I remember having a discussion about this with a workmate who claimed City were bigger historically than United and their bigger crowds were a recent thing. Both being petty types we checked the crowd averages for both clubs way back in history and it turns out it’s bull. United have had bigger averages since WWII. 

https://therepublikofmancunia.com/attendances-manchester-united-vs-manchester-city-the-city-is-ours/

20 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I remember having a discussion about this with a workmate who claimed City were bigger historically than United and their bigger crowds were a recent thing. Both being petty types we checked the crowd averages for both clubs way back in history and it turns out it’s bull. United have had bigger averages since WWII. 

https://therepublikofmancunia.com/attendances-manchester-united-vs-manchester-city-the-city-is-ours/

“Bigger historically” is the key phrase, with United’s pre-eminence as you say, post-WW2.
The Busby era seems to have ushered in a change in the balance of attendances and a widening of United’s appeal. City fans will obviously point to the wider “historical” picture as a better measurement of their club’s standing.

People can and will extract what they want from statistics of course, but the link does point to a sizeable hard core of support for City during some lean times post-WW2.

3 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

“Bigger historically” is the key phrase, with United’s pre-eminence as you say, post-WW2.
The Busby era seems to have ushered in a change in the balance of attendances and a widening of United’s appeal. City fans will obviously point to the wider “historical” picture as a better measurement of their club’s standing.

People can and will extract what they want from statistics of course, but the link does point to a sizeable hard core of support for City during some lean times post-WW2.

City had regular 30,000 crowds in their yoyo years.  With the financial investment they have only managed to add 10,000 to that.  A 'friend' of mine was a director at City a few years ago and part of the remit was looking at expanding the stadium.  I saw the plans that built the stadium up the way to about 60,000+.  The project never got off the ground due to lack of season ticket interest.  This takes me back to my original point in that with all the success they now enjoy they still have empty seats in a 40,000 stadium.   Greater Manchester has a population of 2.8 million.

1 hour ago, TexasAndy said:

City had regular 30,000 crowds in their yoyo years.  With the financial investment they have only managed to add 10,000 to that.  A 'friend' of mine was a director at City a few years ago and part of the remit was looking at expanding the stadium.  I saw the plans that built the stadium up the way to about 60,000+.  The project never got off the ground due to lack of season ticket interest.  This takes me back to my original point in that with all the success they now enjoy they still have empty seats in a 40,000 stadium.   Greater Manchester has a population of 2.8 million.

The Etihad holds 53,400

1 hour ago, TexasAndy said:

I think we’re all agreed United’s attendances since WW2 are the greater although, as you say, City seem to enjoy a loyal core support.

Going back to your point about the City fan base, do you think the 40,000 “ceiling” on City’s attendances perhaps lends weight to the view that City’s support essentially comes from within the city of Manchester?

That maybe City haven’t yet become globally marketable enough for that to translate into bigger attendances?

CENSUS.    Scotland is having a census in 2022.  It's high time one of the questions relates to which football team you support.  We need this important info.

8 hours ago, Tazio said:

Aye, my cousin’s late husband was a Man U fan and often brought up the crowds they’d get playing in the old second division as a point made in response to the global shite they get thrown at them in modern day. They’ve always been a well supported club.

It may be a cliche but some clubs just seem to have that draw, an inexplicable attraction bedded in decades ago. Call it romance in a football sense, if you will. I feel Man U have that. I’d actually say most of the bigger clubs do in England who built their success before money swamped the game.  

Maybe to a lesser extent we are like that as opposed to the vermin?

Edited by Debut 4

Bazzas right boot

Probably more Chelsea, man Utd and man City "fans" in Scotland than Hibs and Hearts fans such is the influence of sky. 

The younger generation are definitely being lost.