Hearts and H1b5 fans in Edinburgh

Ronald Villiers

34 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The Willie Muir was an experience to say the least. Went in for a pint once after a christening and I think the locals were baffled why somebody was wearing their court suit in a Sunday. 

Was that the pub down near Crewe Road? Heard my Dad talking about it a few months ago. Described it as the only pub he's been in that had regularly had a karaoke on a Monday afternoon and was packed to the rafters.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PortyBeach

• Tazio

• Marvin

• Rick James

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Locky said:

Was that the pub down near Crewe Road? Heard my Dad talking about it a few months ago. Described it as the only pub he's been in that had regularly had a karaoke on a Monday afternoon and was packed to the rafters.

Behind the shops where the Caroline Bingo was at the bottom of Crewe Road North. It felt like it was just dropped into a patch of waste ground. 

3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Behind the shops where the Caroline Bingo was at the bottom of Crewe Road North. It felt like it was just dropped into a patch of waste ground. 

How those shops beside it have stood the test of time I'll never know.

John Findlay
46 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Ever been in the Willie Muir (I think it was called that), Pat Stanton's pub? I was at a stag night there (a hibby in work was getting married). A big fight broke out as you'd expect at a hobo night out. I ended up going home with the girl from behind the bar 😁 (we went to Granton Primary) It was her who had recognised me. :smug:

Don't think the Wullie Muir was ever Pat Stanton's pub, I thought he had the Gunner? 

Held my Grandad Dickson's wake there in 1980. He had lived across the road at the bottom of Crewe Road North.

John Findlay
9 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Was built around 1966. I lived in Royston Mains Place at the time.

3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Was built around 1966. I lived in Royston Mains Place at the time.

And named after the ferry that used to do the Fife crossing. 

2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Don't think the Wullie Muir was ever Pat Stanton's pub, I thought he had the Gunner? 

Held my Grandad Dickson's wake there in 1980. He had lived across the road at the bottom of Crewe Road North.

Tbh couldn't tell you. I always believed it was the former. It was a better pint in the Gunner. And you could get "anything" in there, if you ask the right person. 

TyphoonJambo
7 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Tbh couldn't tell you. I always believed it was the former. It was a better pint in the Gunner. And you could get "anything" in there, if you ask the right person. 

We lived in muirhouse,my dad,my brothers and I  drunk everywhere except the Gunner and the only time I ever went in there was to drag my mates dad out on the instructions of his mum.

3 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

We lived in muirhouse,my dad,my brothers and I  drunk everywhere except the Gunner and the only time I ever went in there was to drag my mates dad out on the instructions of his mum.

West Pilton Green for me. Only went to gunner once (to see a man about a dog 😂) The time I was there I never had any bother. The Pennywell Fry next to it was excellent as was The Jubilee. 

John Findlay
2 minutes ago, Marvin said:

West Pilton Green for me. Only went to gunner once (to see a man about a dog 😂) The time I was there I never had any bother. The Pennywell Fry next to it was excellent as was The Jubilee. 

Psennywell Fry is long gone. Jubilee is still going strong though. I'm a minute at the most walk from the Jubilee.

John Findlay
21 minutes ago, Tazio said:

And named after the ferry that used to do the Fife crossing. 

Yeah it was indeed.

Psennywell Fry is long gone. Jubilee is still going strong though. I'm a minute at the most walk from the Jubilee.

Prefer Javits myself down this way.

10 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Is that the one that became Gerry's? I remember them saying they were closing during the duration of the works there, but by the looks of it, its gone? Is the Jubilee under new ownership now too?

TyphoonJambo
22 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Muirhouse place west but preferred to walk all the way up to the Norhet. A bit of a celtic pub but never got any bother when going mental when watching Hearts games. Probably cause I was sat with my unless,all gone now, but rough as it was they all got respect.

John Findlay
14 minutes ago, Locky said:

Is that the one that became Gerry's? I remember them saying they were closing during the duration of the works there, but by the looks of it, its gone? Is the Jubilee under new ownership now too?

Yes became Gerry's before being demolished. Jubilee is still in the same family, although Angelo has now retired.

His son runs the business now.

5 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

In my year at school (craigroyston in the late 70s) we had one Hibby that I can recall. Went by the name of G Strachan.

What about Jimmy Burgess lol

Yes became Gerry's before being demolished. Jubilee is still in the same family, although Angelo has now retired.

His son runs the business now.

Good stuff. My Uncle used to stay in Wardieburn in the late 90's/early 2000's so was down in the Jubilee a lot. Great chippy. I remember reading they were selling up, but glad it stayed in the family.

Wonder if Gerry's have any kind of promise on a premises in the new building. Their statement suggested they were closing for the foreseeable with the ongoing work but that they would be back when its all done.

5 hours ago, Paris 84 said:

I went to that same school and Gordon Strachan left circa 1973/74  I know this as I know him and the fact he was two years above me. I can say confidently that there were tons of Hibbies spread across all years when I was there. 

Ok do you know J Burgess or S cooper

John Findlay
1 minute ago, Locky said:

Good stuff. My Uncle used to stay in Wardieburn in the late 90's/early 2000's so was down in the Jubilee a lot. Great chippy. I remember reading they were selling up, but glad it stayed in the family.

Wonder if Gerry's have any kind of promise on a premises in the new building. Their statement suggested they were closing for the foreseeable with the ongoing work but that they would be back when its all done.

I have no idea about Gerry's.

Just now, Birregrande said:

Yes indeed and also just remember South Edinburgh includes Oxgangs. :HeartsManspotrun:

Oxgangs is not part of Edinburgh Bar-Ox land is an independent republic lol

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

I fondly remember the wee hatches they'd serve your chippy through 😂 Shame it's gone now. 

1 hour ago, andi17 said:

Oxgangs is not part of Edinburgh Bar-Ox land is an independent republic lol

Absolutely..As is us Gillie Boys..lol

FERRY HEARTS

I’m sittin quizzing the missus about all the chippy talk 😁

she worked in both of them and her auld man played darts for the Willie muir while her auld dear was sat in the Caroline Bingo 😬 I said to her when we met some 30 yr back tell me your fi anywhere bar pilton as I had hassle wi a couple Hibby kants fi there !

Back on topic the support seemed about 50/50   Gladly her mob were jambo s 

6 hours ago, Drew Wallace said:

Hearts v Barca

Hobos v Barca

😆

60,000 v 20,000 wasn't it.  And just one season apart.

Does anyone know if there's a hibs supporter in Broomhouse? Or Sighthill for that matter.

Fxxx the SPFL
17 minutes ago, cliffdanum said:

Just to let you know York is also Jambo terrioty.

You lads still run a bus 

43 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Does anyone know if there's a hibs supporter in Broomhouse? Or Sighthill for that matter.

Remember when the evening news ran a poll fans could put post code down and say who they supported, Hibs fans went and ruined it making multiple accounts whole of Edinburgh was green 😂

An engagement party where the groom to be, Scott Burns was a Jambo and his skanky bride to be Debbie Greenan a hibby tramp (in my year at school); who gave line ups outside the Corrie Rave circa 1991. You can imagine the result of that. One half of the function was all Hearts lads the other hibbies. It didn't take long for the chairs to start flying. 

What is the most Hearts area?

Currie, Longstone...?

I'm an east Edinburgh raised Hearts supporter (never lived further west than Dalry in my student flatshare days) and often wondered what is the definitive, nae Hibs cants allowed, area?

24 minutes ago, martoon said:

Currie, Longstone...?

I'm an east Edinburgh raised Hearts supporter (never lived further west than Dalry in my student flatshare days) and often wondered what is the definitive, nae Hibs cants allowed, area?

Don't  know about being the most, but plenty Jambos in Juniper Green,  Currie and Balerno. 

heartgarfunkel
8 hours ago, Tazio said:

I’ve heard that theory as well but don’t actually know anyone who fits the profile of their family changing affiliations because of it. Without wanting to make it sound Glaswegian there were a healthy number of Masonic lodges in Leith back in the day and I wouldn’t imagine a lot of Hibs fans being members. My family are all Hearts from Leith, Newhaven, and Granton and certainly the generation before me had quite a few lodge members. 

I’d be a wee bit cautious Taz of associating Masonic lodges out with the sectarian west with football allegiances. The late great Lawrie Reilly was in the craft as were many in the Hibs teams of the post war era. Conversely my mum’s family were all Leith/Newhaven, and were Hearts daft. My grandfather born 1907 in Water Street clearly remembered his dad and grandfather talking about being at the 1896 cup final at Logie Green! 

heartgarfunkel
4 hours ago, Tazio said:

My late uncle, Bill Muir, used to drink in the Willie Muir! He had a sort of supermarket at the shops in front of it in the 70s next to Terry’s(?). They all grew up in Crew Road Gardens and were all Hearts daft. 

5 minutes ago, heartgarfunkel said:

I’d be a wee bit cautious Taz of associating Masonic lodges out with the sectarian west with football allegiances. The late great Lawrie Reilly was in the craft as were many in the Hibs teams of the post war era. Conversely my mum’s family were all Leith/Newhaven, and were Hearts daft. My grandfather born 1907 in Water Street clearly remembered his dad and grandfather talking about being at the 1896 cup final at Logie Green! 

I remember my dad telling me that a lot of masons supported Hibs.

heartgarfunkel
40 minutes ago, Marvin said:

An engagement party where the groom to be, Scott Burns was a Jambo and his skanky bride to be Debbie Greenan a hibby tramp (in my year at school); who gave line ups outside the Corrie Rave circa 1991. You can imagine the result of that. One half of the function was all Hearts lads the other hibbies. It didn't take long for the chairs to start flying. 

😂 Mr and Mrs Burns still going strong? 

1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

Think nowadays there's a bit more representation of Hibs in these areas, but I'm led to believe these were rather staunch areas once upon a time? I know of a few Hibbies from Saughton and Wester Hailes too. 

8 minutes ago, heartgarfunkel said:

Definitely. I know of a Hibby in the Masonic Lodge and he doesn't take to kindly to being confused with the Orange Lodge.

heartgarfunkel
Just now, Locky said:

Definitely. I know of a Hibby in the Masonic Lodge and he doesn't take to kindly to being confused with the Orange Lodge.

Quite right. I think all the ‘who’s the mason in the black’ pish comes from confusion with those bammers. 

6 minutes ago, heartgarfunkel said:

Quite right. I think all the ‘who’s the mason in the black’ pish comes from confusion with those bammers. 

Don't know a lot about either organisation, but 2 very different people with very different outlooks I believe.

49 minutes ago, martoon said:

Currie, Longstone...?

Anywhere along Lanark Road is pretty Hearts dominated. Few Hibs fans here and there but it’s essentially Hearts dominated. 

Balerno, Currie, Juniper Green, Longstone all big Hearts strongholds. 

20 minutes ago, heartgarfunkel said:

Don’t get me wrong I know Hibs supporting masons but they weren’t totally representative of the general membership. Bizarrely my Maronite Christian Lebanese father in law is a Freemason as he saw it as a way of getting good business contacts when he got to the UK. Much the same way as it was useful for tradesmen and others back in the day. My own great-grandfather was master (grandmaster?) of the seaman’s lodge in Leith. 

1 hour ago, Lido said:

Don't  know about being the most, but plenty Jambos in Juniper Green,  Currie and Balerno. 

54 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Anywhere along Lanark Road is pretty Hearts dominated. Few Hibs fans here and there but it’s essentially Hearts dominated. 

Balerno, Currie, Juniper Green, Longstone all big Hearts strongholds. 

Thanks for the replies, folks.

Ultimately, the entire city and surrounding area's are ours.

:flagwave:

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, martoon said:

Thanks for the replies, folks.

Ultimately, the entire city and surrounding area's are ours.

:flagwave:

Then you've got the good Jambos of Lithgae, maroon black bitches

8 hours ago, martoon said:

Currie, Longstone...?

You've got the Hearts club at Longstone. I cant think of a similar Hibs club anywhere 

Edited by Hesh

13 hours ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Does Leith not say that Leith isny in Edinburgh?   If true, then 'Hibernians' are not an Edinburgh team.

That’s if the Hibs stadium actually lies within the Leith boundary. 
Given that the boundary line runs along Pilrig Street and crosses Leith Walk it would need to deviate some way to encompass the stadium. 
Maybe the boundary does deviate - I’m open to persuasion on that one. How significant is it that the stadium doesn’t have a EH6 postcode?

8 hours ago, heartgarfunkel said:

😂 Mr and Mrs Burns still going strong? 

Don't think it lasted beyond the engagement party :rofl:

The Hearts mega thread has appeared back on .net. Probably in response to this thread here.

”Cheeturz” 

“Fynanshull doping”

”Hunners of millions sqwandered”

”Eskhillaytors”

Pleasing 🤣🤣

9 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

I remember my dad telling me that a lot of masons supported Hibs.

I think it’s true to say that being a Freemason in the west of Scotland seems to go hand-in-hand with an allegiance to Ibrox and the associated baggage.

From what I’ve read, the Masonic connection at Easter Road may have stemmed from Harry Swann who took over Hibs and was a prominent Mason. 
Swann seems to have tried to distance Hibs from their “Green” heritage (apparently part of which involved removing the Harp emblem from the Easter Road grandstand). 
That might go some way to supporting your Dad’s point.