Hearts and H1b5 fans in Edinburgh

Ronald Villiers

Dougie Masterton
4 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

In my year at school (craigroyston in the late 70s) we had one Hibby that I can recall. Went by the name of G Strachan.

Early 70s surely? 

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PortyBeach

• Tazio

• Marvin

• Rick James

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, martoon said:

I'd say north and east, Vince, but other than that you're probably right.

Depends where in North Edinburgh you're talking I guess. My Dad's Drylaw, and growing up it was pretty much staunch Hearts. Sounds like there was a fair few of them down Murihouse, West Pilton, Pilton etc. But definitely a strong Jambo contingency down there. The obvious area of North Edinburgh is of course Leith, spreading out to Lochend and Restalrig, but even then, I know quite a few Hearts fans scattered round these areas nowadays.

I don't really know South Edinburgh all that well. Don't know if Niddrie would be South or East, but when I stayed there I'd say there was probably more Hibs tbh. Areas like Inch and Gracemount strike me as being pretty Hibs tbh, but I don't know them all that well.

Harry Potter

Back in the day, about 20 buses in the evening news for hearts fans going to an away game , the hobos had about 5, they just started getting bigger crowds from 8000 to 15000 after their cup win in 2016, so what does that say about them, we always carry a bigger crowd to hampden, we have the 3rd biggest support in scotland, enough said.

Edit and another fact, their crowds are made up at home this season, been a few games where the stated crowd was never what they said, bit strange but true.

Edited by Harry Potter

maroonlegions
1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

Back in the day, about 20 buses in the evening news for hearts fans going to an away game , the hobos had about 5, they just started getting bigger crowds from 8000 to 15000 after their cup win in 2016, so what does that say about them, we always carry a bigger crowd to hampden, we have the 3rd biggest support in scotland, enough said.

:thumb:

4 hours ago, OTT said:

I think we have already 8,000 pay FOH 

Yeah, there is huge potential to tap into, it’s a shame stadium upgrades are so prohibitively expensive because I think if we can create a bit of stability we could begin to realise that massive ‘passive’ support.

The two supports aren’t miles apart in size, but Hearts definitely have the edge. The size of the support out on the streets in 1998 proved that on its own.

Harry Potter
10 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Yer mate is a slavering erse.

classic jonno, the hobos do tend to exaggerate all the time.

Fire_At_The_Disco

They are bigger than us in their Junkie minds only, we have a bigger ground, bigger support, bigger dicks and bigger wallets than they scummy wank stained rats. 

Drew Wallace
9 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

The two supports aren’t miles apart in size, but Hearts definitely have the edge. The size of the support out on the streets in 1998 proved that on its own.

Naw way more than an edge way more

gordon simpson
4 hours ago, Ronald Villiers said:

My Hibby mate conceded that we have a marginally bigger fan base than them.  He is of the opinion that the majority of our fans are from Mid and West Lothian whereas they greatly outnumber us in Edinburgh.  Surely he's talking pish.  I've been away from Edinburgh for 40 odd years and at that time I felt we outnumbered them, certainly in the west of the city.  Has this changed in the time that I've been away? 

I think your mate is on the pish and not taking the pish lol

10 minutes ago, Locky said:

Depends where in North Edinburgh you're talking I guess. My Dad's Drylaw, and growing up it was pretty much staunch Hearts. Sounds like there was a fair few of them down Murihouse, West Pilton, Pilton etc. But definitely a strong Jambo contingency down there. The obvious area of North Edinburgh is of course Leith, spreading out to Lochend and Restalrig, but even then, I know quite a few Hearts fans scattered round these areas nowadays.

I don't really know South Edinburgh all that well. Don't know if Niddrie would be South or East, but when I stayed there I'd say there was probably more Hibs tbh. Areas like Inch and Gracemount strike me as being pretty Hibs tbh, but I don't know them all that well.

I lived in Drylaw in the early 90's and it seemed about 50/50, but, in truth it's difficult to tell.

I do remember Hibs announced once that 90% of the fans on their database lived within a mile's radius of ER. I was brought up and schooled, for the most part, within that mile and it would certainly add up. There was always a hard core of Hearts, usually the school or year hard nuts, but mostly Hibs.

Mind you, in my last year at Leith Academy in 1983/84, an awful lot of kids suddenly appeared in Hearts colours who had hitherto professed support for Hibs, Rangers, Dundee Utd, Aberdeen...

16 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

I think what it comes down to is active supporters. 

The reason there are so many jambo in leith is years ago hibs done a dirty on leith athletic,and they ended up going out the box.all the athletic fans turned to jambos and carried on down the generations.that story was told to me by an old st Bernards fan  who sold the pink in stockaree. Which was always hearts. 

I've lived in several areas in Edinburgh. Granton at primary age, which was predominantly hibby. I've lived in Clerry which had a large Jambo population. Working in Glasgow Road Safeway half the staff were also hibby. The Gyle Safeway was almost all Jambo. I even took a 2 hour lunch break for the 1998 semi. The staff canteen had the game on and everyone was listening. Livingston was mostly west coast lovers.

West Pilton had a lot of Hearts fans and the Dookit was a Hearts pub even though the area is more hibby based. 

Had a mate who lived in Barnton and it was all Hearts.

I've had the same discussion about the football geography of Edinburgh with a mate.

I think north and west Edinburgh is Hearts and south and east is them.

Edited by Marvin

1 minute ago, Kev1998 said:

The reason there are so many jambo in leith is years ago hibs done a dirty on leith athletic,and they ended up going out the box.all the athletic fans turned to jambos and carried on down the generations.that story was told to me by an old st Bernards fan  who sold the pink in stockaree. Which was always hearts. 

I’ve heard that theory as well but don’t actually know anyone who fits the profile of their family changing affiliations because of it. Without wanting to make it sound Glaswegian there were a healthy number of Masonic lodges in Leith back in the day and I wouldn’t imagine a lot of Hibs fans being members. My family are all Hearts from Leith, Newhaven, and Granton and certainly the generation before me had quite a few lodge members. 

It wasn't a case of changing affiliations taz. The athletic fans had no one to support.so rather than side with the club that shafted them.they chose life ha ha.

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’ve heard that theory as well but don’t actually know anyone who fits the profile of their family changing affiliations because of it. Without wanting to make it sound Glaswegian there were a healthy number of Masonic lodges in Leith back in the day and I wouldn’t imagine a lot of Hibs fans being members. My family are all Hearts from Leith, Newhaven, and Granton and certainly the generation before me had quite a few lodge members. 

This is the version of history I've also been told. Also, and this is also a bit weegie, and I couldn't say if it was true or not, but I heard most of the gaffers and other bosses in the docks, shipbuilders and engineers were Protestant mostly, masons maybe and predominantly Leith Athletes supporters. 

8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

My late father was a Leither & of course Hearts.

3 minutes ago, Marvin said:

My late father was a Leither & of course Hearts.

My old man was a born and bred Leither and Hibs. Family gatherings were lonely occasions for him. 

gordon simpson
25 minutes ago, Kev1998 said:

I also heard this from my mate whose father was a Leith athletic man , the hatred for Hibs was intense 

53 minutes ago, Locky said:

Inch.. Gracemount..Gilmerton..Fernhihill. Burdihouse all had very strong Hearts contingency..regular buses leaving from The Captains Cabin and Robins Nest, The Gordon's..etc

Slightly off topic but I have always had a "hobo radar" and it very rarely fails me. 

This has happened over many years at works functions where partners have been invited. I seemed to instinctively know when being introduced to "Paula from the Mail room's" partner/spouse that he is "from the dark side".

Of course polite conversation usually flows at the beginning of the night but eventually his mask will slip (watching him spooning in the contents of his finger bowl is usually the first clue). Then someone brings up football and he states quite brazenly that he is "proud to be a hibby" blah blah blah. He is not impressed by the large smirk on my face.

However at the same time a box is mentally ticked off in my head that my radar has once again successfully detected "one of them". 

It would follow at that point that any pretence of a cordial evening was going to be unlikely. Finish meal quickly and move away from the guy in the court suit. 

Anyone else get the same vibes on nights out? What gives them away?

They tend to have shifty eyes that are too close together.

Their eyebrows, more often than not, meet in the middle.

Freckles and red hair are not too unusual features.

They walk with a stoop and invariably have six fingers on each hand.

They smell.

TyphoonJambo
1 hour ago, Dougie Masterton said:

Early 70s surely? 

Yep,the plague of old age. That and the faint smell of piss that seems to be everywhere 

TyphoonJambo
1 hour ago, Marvin said:

I've lived in several areas in Edinburgh. Granton at primary age, which was predominantly hibby. I've lived in Clerry which had a large Jambo population. Working in Glasgow Road Safeway half the staff were also hibby. The Gyle Safeway was almost all Jambo. I even took a 2 hour lunch break for the 1998 semi. The staff canteen had the game on and everyone was listening. Livingston was mostly west coast lovers.

West Pilton had a lot of Hearts fans and the Dookit was a Hearts pub even though the area is more hibby based. 

I've had the same discussion about the football geography of Edinburgh with a mate.

The Dookit,definitely a jambo pub. The filth all drunk in the ferry boat 

maroonlegions
7 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

God i thought you said the fairy boat, oops..

My bad..

millerjames398
1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Edit and another fact, their crowds are made up at home this season, been a few games where the stated crowd was never what they said, bit strange but true.

It used to amaze me when i was young at away grounds, just how many busses we took, just rows and rows, of all the different areas and districts, brilliant sight...then you had a old tandem bicycle that used to be chained outside ryries at haymarket, my old man always used to say, "there's the hibbies supporters bus no left yet" if they were away😂🇱🇻

TyphoonJambo
1 minute ago, maroonlegions said:

God i thought you said the fairy boat, oops..

My bad..

I think that's where the Rudi refugee video was filmed. The Ferry boat I mean.

1 minute ago, TypoonJambo said:

If it wasn’t for the jakeys smoking outside you’d swear blind the Ferry Boat had shut years ago and been sitting derelict. It must have a very strong claim to the worst pub in Edinburgh. 

TyphoonJambo
5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

If it wasn’t for the jakeys smoking outside you’d swear blind the Ferry Boat had shut years ago and been sitting derelict. It must have a very strong claim to the worst pub in Edinburgh. 

To be fair the entire area had a few. The gunner was pretty grim and the Anchor was like the scene from star wars. I remember collecting the poker cards ( the ones you tore and lifted the wee flaps)from a bloke in the Dookit,  you had to sell to get onto the Drylaw Hearts bus. A mental bus that was.

Edited by TypoonJambo

5 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

It most certainly was. Although the story is that a very good Jambo (who I believe has since passed away) gave him a swift booting outside for his behaviour.

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Tin hat on here, but its actually not that bad these days. :lol: 

Was my grandads local for his last few years so been in quite a few times. Worked with a guy who done the bar a lot too, and a cousin of mine still drinks in there so went in a few times when I stayed down West Pilton. Haven't been in for a while but they've made an effort to make it look a lot nicer inside. Still the same clientele though.

millerjames398
20 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

To be fair the entire area had a few. The gunner was pretty grim and the Anchor was like the scene from star wars. I remember collecting the poker cards ( the ones you tore and lifted the wee flaps)from a bloke in the Dookit,  you had to sell to get onto the Drylaw Hearts bus. A mental bus that was.

I met a few drylaw hearts in Bordeaux, outside the irish bar..must have liberated about a crates worth of wine from the deli up the rd..some characters right enough😂🇱🇻

41 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

That the pub that changed it's name every time someone got murdered 😂

22 minutes ago, Marvin said:

That the pub that changed it's name every time someone got murdered 😂

Was your ex a regular there, Marv?

She seemed to have some of the required credentials.

😉

Just now, Morgan said:

Was your ex a regular there, Marv?

She seemed to have some of the required credentials.

😉

😂 Nah I stayed in west Pilton back in 1992-97. Met her after moving down South. 

Harry Potter
2 hours ago, Marvin said:

Worked in Greggs bakery in Loanhead, the place was full of jambos, the flour mill based in western harbour, leith,

was 50/50.

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Lived across from the Ferry Boat 1972-1974 in Ferry Road Place. Best cat fight I ever saw was two wifies trying to embed skillets heels into each others head's.

TyphoonJambo
Just now, John Findlay said:

Lived across from the Ferry Boat 1972-1974 in Ferry Road Place. Best cat fight I ever saw was two wifies trying to embed skillets heels into each others head's.

Did you know the Abercrombies?

2 hours ago, cliffdanum said:

Inch.. Gracemount..Gilmerton..Fernhihill. Burdihouse all had very strong Hearts contingency..regular buses leaving from The Captains Cabin and Robins Nest, The Gordon's..etc

Yes indeed and also just remember South Edinburgh includes Oxgangs. :HeartsManspotrun:

John Findlay
16 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Did you know the Abercrombies?

I probably did, main families I remember are the Denningtons, Monaghans, Gilchrists, Harringtons,Bretts, and the McDaids.

Jamstomorrow
6 hours ago, tightrope said:

Imho, you can't count Leith, it's not in Edinburgh as far as I'm concerned. 😁

Does Leith not say that Leith isny in Edinburgh?   If true, then 'Hibernians' are not an Edinburgh team.

1 minute ago, Birregrande said:

Yes indeed and also just remember South Edinburgh includes Oxgangs. :HeartsManspotrun:

Yep 100%..add in Ferniside..Moredun, Liberton and the new schemes of Alnwickhill and Mortanhall, I'd say South Edinburgh is more Hearts than Hobbits 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Ever been in the Willie Muir (I think it was called that), Pat Stanton's pub? I was at a stag night there (a hibby in work was getting married). A big fight broke out as you'd expect at a hobo night out. I ended up going home with the girl from behind the bar 😁 (we went to Granton Primary) It was her who had recognised me. :smug:

Just now, Marvin said:

Ever been in the Willie Muir (I think it was called that), Pat Stanton's pub? I was at a stag night there (a hibby in work was getting married). A big fight broke out as you'd expect at a hobo night out. I ended up going home with the girl from behind the bar 😁 (we went to Granton Primary) It was her who had recognised me. :smug:

The Willie Muir was an experience to say the least. Went in for a pint once after a christening and I think the locals were baffled why somebody was wearing their court suit in a Sunday. 

8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The Willie Muir was an experience to say the least. Went in for a pint once after a christening and I think the locals were baffled why somebody was wearing their court suit in a Sunday. 

It'll be like "shit, its the DS" 😂. I got that walking through Craigshill after a court appearance, some 21 years ago. 😂