Hearts and H1b5 fans in Edinburgh

Ronald Villiers

Ronald Villiers

My Hibby mate conceded that we have a marginally bigger fan base than them.  He is of the opinion that the majority of our fans are from Mid and West Lothian whereas they greatly outnumber us in Edinburgh.  Surely he's talking pish.  I've been away from Edinburgh for 40 odd years and at that time I felt we outnumbered them, certainly in the west of the city.  Has this changed in the time that I've been away? 

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PortyBeach

• Tazio

• Marvin

• John Findlay

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think our cup parades in 2006 and 2012 show that we have much bigger support than turns up at Tynecastle each week, and I would be surprised if the vast majority weren't from Edinburgh, albeit with large numbers from the Borders, Fife and the Lothians. Anyway, he's a Hibee so is most likely talking nonsense.

David McCaig

Just look at the vast difference in fans actually attending Tynecastle and Easter Road this season to answer the question.

No comparison in the size of away following either.

Lived in gorebridge all my life and know very few hibs fans from here, of my age anyway (29). In our class at primary there was only 2 hibs fans. The rest were Hearts or rangers.

15 minutes ago, Ronald Villiers said:

My Hibby mate conceded that we have a marginally bigger fan base than them.  He is of the opinion that the majority of our fans are from Mid and West Lothian whereas they greatly outnumber us in Edinburgh.  Surely he's talking pish.  I've been away from Edinburgh for 40 odd years and at that time I felt we outnumbered them, certainly in the west of the city.  Has this changed in the time that I've been away? 

think your mate has been on the spoon, anyway it’s 2022, loads of fans priced out of staying in edinburgh 

18 minutes ago, Ronald Villiers said:

One can only assume in his world of reality his social circle is rather limited.

Ronald Villiers
7 minutes ago, Hesh said:

think your mate has been on the spoon, anyway it’s 2022, loads of fans priced out of staying in edinburgh 

That's what I thought mate.

TyphoonJambo

In my year at school (craigroyston in the late 70s) we had one Hibby that I can recall. Went by the name of G Strachan.

21 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

I think our cup parades in 2006 and 2012 show that we have much bigger support than turns up at Tynecastle each week, and I would be surprised if the vast majority weren't from Edinburgh, albeit with large numbers from the Borders, Fife and the Lothians. Anyway, he's a Hibee so is most likely talking nonsense.

Yeah, there is huge potential to tap into, it’s a shame stadium upgrades are so prohibitively expensive because I think if we can create a bit of stability we could begin to realise that massive ‘passive’ support.

11 minutes ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

Lived in gorebridge all my life and know very few hibs fans from here, of my age anyway (29). In our class at primary there was only 2 hibs fans. The rest were Hearts or rangers.

Always been mostly Hearts and Rangers fans in God's country. 🙂

Savage Vince

I think that there is a pretty even split across the city. There are a lot of Hibs fans in South and East Edinburgh. 

We have a wider fan base and have more fans in the Lothians and Fife and have a bigger support in general. 

That's quite a difficult question to answer in my opinion because of two main factors

1. Hibs support is definitely more concentrated in the city than Hearts is.

2. They're generally more visible in their support. Things like those chav number plates and wearing replica gear in everyday situations. 

Pasquale for King

You would think a club that’s so close to the most densely populated area in Scotland, and nearly the U.K., with 16k residents in the Leith Ward that they would have more fans, especially with then playing like Brazil in such a beautiful stadium 😱🤔🤷🏾‍♂️🤦🏽🤪?!?!

37 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

In my year at school (craigroyston in the late 70s) we had one Hibby that I can recall. Went by the name of G Strachan.

I went to that same school and Gordon Strachan left circa 1973/74  I know this as I know him and the fact he was two years above me. I can say confidently that there were tons of Hibbies spread across all years when I was there. 

John Findlay
50 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

I bet there was another called S. Crowther. In the late 70s G. Strachan was playing for Aberdeen having started off at Dundee😉

55 minutes ago, poultry said:

Always been mostly Hearts and Rangers fans in God's country. 🙂

Unfortunately the odd hibby or tim gets in to ruin the place 😂

18 minutes ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

Unfortunately the odd hibby or tim gets in to ruin the place 😂

🤣 aye but we always correct them.

1 hour ago, Savage Vince said:

I think that there is a pretty even split across the city. There are a lot of Hibs fans in South and East Edinburgh. 

We have a wider fan base and have more fans in the Lothians and Fife and have a bigger support in general. 

I went to Gilmerton and then Liberton late seventies early eighties. There were more Rangers fans than Hibs. Most identified with a team, most were Hearts.

The best way I can put it is when they are doing well and we are poor they can match us in attendances and that's assuming they are telling the truth with their figures. 

At all other times there is no contest. 

Fans who don't go to the games don't count as we are talking about actual 'supporters' 

On the west side of Edinburgh we outnumber them 2:1 I would say, down there side I would say it’s 1.5:1 in their favour. So overall we’re bigger in our support in the city. Once outside Edinburgh they barely have a presence. Even Fife is majority Hearts. 

However, we have a hardcore 13k fan base, they have 8k, that’s no guess it’s fact based on attendance when the team aren’t doing well, that’s where the real difference is.

4 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

On the west side of Edinburgh we outnumber them 2:1 I would say, down there side I would say it’s 1.5:1 in their favour. So overall we’re bigger in our support in the city. Once outside Edinburgh they barely have a presence. Even Fife is majority Hearts. 

However, we have a hardcore 13k fan base, they have 8k, that’s no guess it’s fact based on attendance when the team aren’t doing well, that’s where the real difference is.

Imho, you can't count Leith, it's not in Edinburgh as far as I'm concerned. 😁

No Idle Talk

Their team cannot beat Hearts on the park so they invent unprovable arguments like this in order to try and keep themselves relevant. It is sad and delusional behaviour from a group of people suffering from an inferiority complex brought about by decades of watching their team get horsed time after time after time by their biggest rivals.

Here are the FACTS that all Hibernian fans have to live with every day of their lives. Hearts have won more major honours than Hibernian. Hibernian have not won any of Scottish Football's major honours more often than Hearts. Hearts have won more Edinburgh derbies than Hibernian - at Tynecastle, at Easter Road, and at Hampden. Hearts have larger average attendances than Hibernian.

They are the capital's wee team. And they know it.

Edited by No Idle Talk

Hibs have Lochend, leith and meadowbank wards. 

Hearts have the rest. Including west lothian, East Lothian. Fife and the scottish borders.

How many hibs (supporters) clubs are there compared to hearts ones??!! 

Edited by Restonbabe

2 hours ago, Savage Vince said:

I think that there is a pretty even split across the city. There are a lot of Hibs fans in South and East Edinburgh. 

I'd say north and east, Vince, but other than that you're probably right.

Whenever I see one when out and about I smile. The psychological torture we have imposed on them makes the Iraq shock and awe campaign look like child’s play. 

45 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

Hibs have Lochend, leith and meadowbank wards. 

Hearts have the rest. Including west lothian, East Lothian. Fife and the scottish borders.

How many hibs (supporters) clubs are there compared to hearts ones??!! 

That’s just not true. You’ve not even managed to correctly name 3 wards for a start. 

jambo-in-furness
24 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Whenever I see one when out and about I smile. The psychological torture we have imposed on them makes the Iraq shock and awe campaign look like child’s play. 

Exactly the correct thing to do,  it’s a philosophy I try to carry out every time I come across one of those poor wee tormented souls.

2 hours ago, pablo said:

That's quite a difficult question to answer in my opinion because of two main factors

1. Hibs support is definitely more concentrated in the city than Hearts is.

2. They're generally more visible in their support. Things like those chav number plates and wearing replica gear in everyday situations. 

Why is it more concentrated in the city than ours?  Why would it be and what parts are you thinking?

Its just luck but I’ve met more Hearts fans from Leith through work and play than Hibs fans. But I wouldn’t start to claim there’s more Hearts fans in the area. 

4 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Why is it more concentrated in the city than ours?  Why would it be and what parts are you thinking?

Its just luck but I’ve met more Hearts fans from Leith through work and play than Hibs fans. But I wouldn’t start to claim there’s more Hearts fans in the area. 

Yeah, it’s not more but I’ve lived in Pilrig and have a mate, who I drink with, who lives in Dalmeny Street and was surprised how many Jambos there are in Leith. 

Think there's definitely a case for their support being quite centre around the city itself. Don't know if I'd agree with them 'outnumbering' us in Edinburgh, but if you could somehow do a census of both clubs supporters, I genuinely think a considerable higher percentage of their fanbase live in the city than ours.

Previously lived in Dalkeith and there was definitely more Hearts than Hibs. Musselburgh and Prestonpans seems a bit of a mix. Definitely plenty of them around but no shortage of Hearts fans either. Never lived out West Lothian but seems like a lot of Jambos through there, same goes for Fife.

You see more Hibs tops being worn around Edinburgh, That’s Hibs patter for you parading about with a Hibs top on from 3 seasons ago in your face,

Probs nicked from a washing line or used their JSA money to buy a top but never attend Easter Road.

maroonlegions
3 hours ago, Ronald Villiers said:

Sounds like yer mates stuck in the 1800s..

Just now, Stu_HMFC said:

You see more Hibs tops being worn around Edinburgh, That’s Hibs patter for you parading about with a Hibs top on from 3 seasons ago in your face,

Probs nicked from a washing line or used their JSA money to buy a top but never attend Easter Road.

That’s exactly it though. I know loads of them that constantly go on about Hibs. Have loads of t shirts, hats, etc and always get Hibs themed gifts at Christmas because everyone knows they’re a “massive Hibee” 

Not been at a game in years, if ever. 

David McCaig
2 hours ago, luckydug said:

The best way I can put it is when they are doing well and we are poor they can match us in attendances and that's assuming they are telling the truth with their figures. 

At all other times there is no contest. 

Fans who don't go to the games don't count as we are talking about actual 'supporters' 

Away support always a good indicator as well and like every other metric we beat them hands down.

maroonlegions

How many did they pull on the streets after their 2016 cup win??   

Then compare that to our cup parades in 1998 and 2006 and 2012..

There lies the answer to who has the bigger support..

When we won it in 1998 , we done so after a long wait, and we pulled just under 200,000, (police estimates). However when they won it after over a 100 years it was no way near as to what we got on the Sunday cup parade back in 1998..

They know these FACTS but as usual  ,they have all manner of excuses to undermine it.

We are bigger than them and we do have the bigger fan base.

Edited by maroonlegions

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

That’s exactly it though. I know loads of them that constantly go on about Hibs. Have loads of t shirts, hats, etc and always get Hibs themed gifts at Christmas because everyone knows they’re a “massive Hibee” 

It’s like that in work places too I’ve worked in places where you can just tell who supports Hibs just their attitude, body language, way they talk, and their shit patter. 

You find Hearts fans in places more down to earth and reserved. You see kids about with Hearts tops on and a hats maybe, But it’s growing men in Morrisons or the petrol station the bookies or the pub with a Hibs top on or a jumper. 

Then you have social media 😂 Where they have pathetic attempts to have a laugh at us, Their weird fascination over the colour purple, think Easter Road is amazing but never attend and the over use of the Irish flag on posts but go to matches with a green and white Union Jack 😂😂😂😂

You couldn’t write this sort of shit from them.

millerjames398
3 hours ago, Ronald Villiers said:

We out number them in Falkirk, Bo'ness and Linlithgow aswell.  

In my street in camelon, there about half a dozen hearts fans..just one hibbie, and his lad when he comes to stay from uni..funnily enough in all the time i spoke to him, he didn't expose himself as vermin,,until after they'd won the cup in 16,,I'd been speakin to him for a good 2 or 3 yrs before, and never let on once, even though id had my hearts gear on a good few times, not a peep, the Monday after they won it, he was washin his car with their away top on, when i shouted over to him about his choice of top, he just shrugged and laughed..shameless bassa😂🇱🇻

maroonlegions

From The Tron, to Princess Street, Haymarket, Dalry and Gorgie they packed those streets and roads in their tens of thousands..

They will never match those numbers on the streets on that glorious day in May 1998.

:greggy::scenes::rudiyas::sweeet:

GP36764737.jpg

hearts-football-team-winners-of-the-tennents-scottish-cup-take-part-G9BDWF.jpg

hearts-scottish-cup-celebrations-image-1-33360625.jpg

0_850764.jpg

heartgarfunkel

In terms of fans who are total pricks Hibs outnumber Hearts to a ratio of 15000:1, could even be as high as 51000:1

What ever the numbers they win hands down in terms of deluded rockets, myth-loving trumpets and total spanners who follow each team. 

heartgarfunkel
2 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

From The Tron, to Princess Street, Haymarket, Dalry and Gorgie they packed those streets and roads in their tens of thousands..

They will never match those numbers on the streets on that glorious day in May 1998.

:greggy::scenes::rudiyas::sweeet:

GP36764737.jpg

hearts-football-team-winners-of-the-tennents-scottish-cup-take-part-G9BDWF.jpg

hearts-scottish-cup-celebrations-image-1-33360625.jpg

0_850764.jpg

:clumshot:

Savage Vince
1 hour ago, martoon said:

I'd say north and east, Vince, but other than that you're probably right.

👍

2 hours ago, westbow said:

I went to Gilmerton and then Liberton late seventies early eighties. There were more Rangers fans than Hibs. Most identified with a team, most were Hearts.

Worked a lot around the North Edinburgh area and always thought there was a pretty even split of both Edinburgh teams and the Uglies. I never lived there though so I'm maybe wrong. 

32 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I've got a few Hibby mates and none of them are home and away, or even necessarily home every week. Know a few ST holders, but they miss half the games each season for trivial reasons such as 'its too cold'.

There was this the old argument that we are the establishment club and they're the club for the cool cats, and I think far too many Hibs fans buy into that shite. It seems for a lot of them its cool to say you support Hibs and wear their stuff, but they're not actually that interested in everything else that comes with supporting a football club. Compare that to my Hearts mates, who only 1 or 2 don't really go to games, mainly because of work.

A mate of mine who's a Hibs fan worked in the ticket office a good few years ago, and was taking the tickets that were set aside to be offered to schools and the likes, and selling them to folk he knew for cut price cost of an actual ticket. :lol: Don't know what's worse, the Hibs fan who scammed his own club, or the other Hibs fans who knowing exactly what he was upto, were still happy to line his pockets than their own clubs.