Sir Sidney Poitier, has died.

Don Dan

Legendary Hollywood actor and first black man to win an Oscar, Sir Sidney Poitier, has died at the age of 94, a Bahamian government official has said.

In 1964, he made history by clinching the Academy of Motion Pictures statuette for his work in Lilies of the Field, and went on to appear in dozens of films and television shows.

The actor had three box offices hits with 'In the Heat of the Night', 'To Sir, with Love' and 'Guess Who's Coming to Dinner'.

In the film In the Heat of the Night he delivered the iconic line: "They call me Mister Tibbs".

He also directed a number of projects.

Legend RIP

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, Tazio said:

In The Heat Of The Night is a classic, also Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner. 

He was a good actor I think but that film has aged terribly. How Katherine Hepburn won the Oscar for it ill never know. 

Francis Albert
15 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

He was a good actor I think but that film has aged terribly. How Katherine Hepburn won the Oscar for it ill never know. 

I was about to post much the same. Poitier was a great actor. 

But Guess Who even at the time was criticised as patronising by black activists (as they would be termed today). And more recently by feminists because of the nullity of the part of Poitier's girl friend. She basically said nothing of consequence. And I was never a fan of Spencer and Hepburn especially when they played together.

In The Heat of the Night was a much better film with superb performances by Poitier and Rod Steiger.

i

Edited by Francis Albert

John Findlay

Very sad news, a tremendous actor.

First film I loved him in was the Defiant Ones with Tony Curtis. The Heat of the night is an iconic film.  Both him and Rod Stieger were excellent in it.

RIP Sidney Poitier.

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

But Guess Who even at the time was criticised as patronising by black activists (as they would be termed today). And more recently by feminists because of the nullity of the part of Poitier's girl friend. She basically said nothing of consequence. And I was never a fan of Spencer and Hepburn especially when they played together.

In The Heat of the Night was a much better film with superb performances by Poitier and Rod Steiger.

i

Yes that's all correct. It was even considered patronising by many critics even then. Its mawkishly sentimental too due to Spencer Tracy being on his last legs. I liked him and Hepburn but their films together were not that good but individually they made great films. She got the Oscar for sentimental reasons and ironically won it the next year anyway for an incredible performance in " The Lion In Winter" thoroughly deserving . Although it was a tie. Yes " In the heat of the night" is so superior. 

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

i

In the Heat of the Night was a great film. Watched it not long ago and it’s aged really well. 

RIP

2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Very sad news, a tremendous actor.

First film I loved him in was the Defiant Ones with Tony Curtis. The Heat of the night is an iconic film.  Both him and Rod Stieger were excellent in it.

RIP Sidney Poitier.

Both great films and great actors. RIP to a real film legend, Sydney Poitier.

RIP 

To sir, with love was a brilliant film.

Watched it a couple of years ago for the first time in decades.

The contrast of him and the London East end kids was classic.

Great actor, one of a kind.

I think in the heat of the night was his greatest film, and this scene groundbreaking at the time. Slapped the entitlement right off his arrogant face.

11 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I think in the heat of the night was his greatest film, and this scene groundbreaking at the time. Slapped the entitlement right off his arrogant face.

There was a story about Nelson Mandela seeing the film when he was on Robben Island. It was years later he discovered that scene had been cut in South Africa. 

Legend!

One of my favourites, Deadly Pursuit. It's been a long while, but I think I'll go back and give it another watch. Had a different title elsewhere, Shoot to Kill.

William H. Bonney
7 hours ago, Norm said:

Also directed Stir Crazy, one of, if not the, funniest films ever. 

He also directed ghost dad with bill Cosby. I can’t forgive him for that. 

JudyJudyJudy
8 hours ago, Norm said:

Also directed Stir Crazy, one of, if not the, funniest films ever. 

Oh yes  i forgot he directed that. I just loved Gene Wilder and Richard Prior together and separately,. 

7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Legend!

One of my favourites, Deadly Pursuit. It's been a long while, but I think I'll go back and give it another watch. Had a different title elsewhere, Shoot to Kill.

Forgot about that too.it was excellent. 

The Real Maroonblood
7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Legend!

That was a good movie.

I also liked Sneakers.

JudyJudyJudy

Babs always writes a lovely  tweet about someone when they die. She him and Paul Newman  had a production company for a time. 

Edited by JamesM48

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Babs always writes a lovely  tweet about someone when they die. She him and Steve Mcqueen  had a production company for a time. 

👍

Lone Striker

Great actor - and one of the few celebs who could mesmerise an audience with an awards speech or interviews.  He spoke with an abundance of  authority, compassion, eloquence, humility &  dignity.   

I just loved his voice and speaking style.  A true giant.

Morgan Freeman might be a current equivalent of Poitier. A black man who is a superb actor and just like Poitier extremely eloquent while radiating a humble dignity.