Colston 4 not guilty

JudyJudyJudy

The elected Mayor of Bristol has firmly rejected the idea his city will allow criminals to indulge in their future fantasies after admitting he was 'quite surprised' at a jury's decision to acquit four vandals despite them admitting playing a part in the destruction of a 127-year-old memorial.

Marvin Rees, 49, who became Europe's first directly elected black mayor in 2016, warned revolutionaries were not welcome in the city of Bristol as critics slammed the 12 jurors' majority verdict in the trial of Rhian Graham, 30, Milo Ponsford, 26, Sage Willoughby, 22, and Jake Skuse, 33.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8hibsh

• Unknown user

• NANOJAMBO

• JudyJudyJudy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

The elected Mayor of Bristol has firmly rejected the idea his city will allow criminals to indulge in their future fantasies after admitting he was 'quite surprised' at a jury's decision to acquit four vandals despite them admitting playing a part in the destruction of a 127-year-old memorial.

Marvin Rees, 49, who became Europe's first directly elected black mayor in 2016, warned revolutionaries were not welcome in the city of Bristol as critics slammed the 12 jurors' majority verdict in the trial of Rhian Graham, 30, Milo Ponsford, 26, Sage Willoughby, 22, and Jake Skuse, 33.

Always good to see the daily mail getting upset.

Obviously there's no way the mail would ever go to former black Bristol mayor Cleo Lake - she clearly has a very different perspective on things. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/cleo-lake-said-mayor-colston-4216624

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

once had an argument/debate in a pub as I witnessed a guy randomly go up to 2 Aussie girls and "apologise for the British Empire".  Me being me (shock), with a few beers fuelling me butted in and told him that if it were not for the British Empire then those 2 girls would not exist.  He simply had no argument.

Some guys will try any angle for a s***.  that's a new one on me. :) 

Francis Albert
6 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Always good to see the daily mail getting upset.

Obviously there's no way the mail would ever go to former black Bristol mayor Cleo Lake - she clearly has a very different perspective on things. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/cleo-lake-said-mayor-colston-4216624

In what way does that report demonstrate the Mail "getting upset"?

JudyJudyJudy

Some very good comments and discussion. My view was it should have been taken down years ago. What the hell are we thinking of having statues to people who became rich at the misery and suffering of others.?  Ofcourse there is the argument that it maybe should have been removed in a more formal legal route but it seems that had been tried.  It was obviously done in the heat of the moment and caused NO harm to anyone , so I've not issue with it. However  I suppose he has now been  " cancelled " and that can be a dangerous road to go down as people have different views about who should be " cancelled " depending on their moral compass or views and outlook. 

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

The tsunami is spreading like wildfire now?

STV News was hysterical tonight. Absolutely hysterical. 

1 hour ago, Cade said:

these bloody vandals, lock em up and throw away the key

2000.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&quality=2010_1123_head_lead.jpg31CA3649-F480-4796-A18B-116EB562DF00_w126b517200-6c22-4348-92c0-a5fc9db565a2_w12

Usually they would have been punished for such acts but these events took place as part of major upheaval and revolution. 

The former lawmakers presided over a clearly unjust system, not something we can say about the UK to anything like the same extent. 

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

STV News was hysterical tonight. Absolutely hysterical. 

I am collecting these things. A couple of days ago an NHS spokesman said we are in the foothills of a tsunami. Now the virus is spreading like wildfire. Hopefully the tsunami will extinguish the wildfire. Or maybe we can escape by just climbing to higher ground. Sorry off topic.

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I am collecting these things. A couple of days ago an NHS spokesman said we are in the foothills of a tsunami. Now the virus is spreading like wildfire. Hopefully the tsunami will extinguish the wildfire. Or maybe we can escape by just climbing to higher ground. Sorry off topic.

Oh dont worry its my favourite topic :)  apparently the next two weeks will be the " worse" the NHS has ever faced. 

26 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Some guys will try any angle for a s***.  that's a new one on me. :) 

Ha, he defo was.

My point is though (and I am not celebrating the horrors of the past) but if it was not for colonialism (not just British), horrors and injusticies then not one of us would be alive today. It shaped the world. This is not to say it was a force for good but it shaped us all.

We can take down as many statues as we like but it will not change this inconvenient truth. And I am willing to bet that no one would not want the life and pleasures we all so very much enjoy I am sure.

Fxxx the SPFL
6 hours ago, redjambo said:

Well done to the Colston 4 and the jury who found them not guilty.

Thumbs down to those who would continue to condone the slave trade and the UK's part in it. Maybe you should work a little harder at trying to recover a little bit of your humanity.

If we don't recognise and atone for the mistakes of the past, we will never sufficiently learn from them.

It was pure vandalism fact, they should have been fined as many others have said education is the answer the Dundas monument has a plaque referring to slavery. Hopefully they have a retrial and are found guilty 

Jamstomorrow
58 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

It was pure vandalism fact, they should have been fined as many others have said education is the answer the Dundas monument has a plaque referring to slavery. Hopefully they have a retrial and are found guilty 

Be nice if statues were erected to them . . . . . and some feckers pulled them down and chucked them in the harbour.   No crime apparently.

The White Cockade
3 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Sounds too sensible.

I wish people could just move on with acceptance.  Yes, the world was a bit awful and sometimes very awfull but nothing we will ever do will change this.  The world is significantly better (ish) from our vantage point.

Every moment, whether bad or good shaped the present however.

I once had an argument/debate in a pub as I witnessed a guy randomly go up to 2 Aussie girls and "apologise for the British Empire".  Me being me (shock), with a few beers fuelling me butted in and told him that if it were not for the British Empire then those 2 girls would not exist.  He simply had no argument.

It has shaped everything we enjoy and benefit from today.  Every monument, statue, historical building is our inheritance form the past - learn from and move on and take pride in how far as a society we have come.

To be fair if the two Aussie girls were of European descent no reason to apologise to them It’s the Aboriginals who need the apology and their land back 

Every empire without exception was built on slavery and exploitation.

That doesnt mean that we shouldnt recognise individuals part in those crimes against humanity.

And we have to recognise these students for highlighting that.

I doubt history wont agree with these 4 .

The argument is made that "wat aboot the pyramids"

It's not relevant because it's not felt.

No one would condone any Nazi doctor statues for contribution to medicine.

Heres a horrible fact they probably did.

The enslavement of Africas people was recent history and the slave masters shouldnt be honoured.

If for no other reason than would you put a statue up of today's slave masters.

Slavery is alive and well.

80% women and children.

There is no pro statue of evil argument that stands up.

2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

In what way does that report demonstrate the Mail "getting upset"?

It doesnt.

But in the shallow world of slogans chief nanny excels.

1 hour ago, Ked said:

That doesnt mean that we shouldnt recognise individuals part in those crimes against humanity.

The enslavement of Africas people was recent history and the slave masters shouldnt be honoured.

80% women and children.

What you barely hear about also is that Africans were enslaving their own people for hundreds of years, way before evil 'whitey' came along.

Also, the Chinese/Mongols were the masters of it.

I am sick to the back ****ing teeth of being told that white people are the bad guy. 

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Ha, he defo was.

My point is though (and I am not celebrating the horrors of the past) but if it was not for colonialism (not just British), horrors and injusticies then not one of us would be alive today. It shaped the world. This is not to say it was a force for good but it shaped us all.

We can take down as many statues as we like but it will not change this inconvenient truth. And I am willing to bet that no one would not want the life and pleasures we all so very much enjoy I am sure.

Yes i can see where you are coming from 

1 hour ago, Ked said:

80% women and children.

There is evidence to suggest that the pyramids were not built by slaves but well paid workers. Its a myth regarding this issue. 

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes i can see where you are coming from 

There is evidence to suggest that the pyramids were not built by slaves but well paid workers. Its a myth regarding this issue. 

Exception proving the rule

2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

What you barely hear about also is that Africans were enslaving their own people for hundreds of years, way before evil 'whitey' came along.

Also, the Chinese/Mongols were the masters of it.

I am sick to the back ****ing teeth of being told that white people are the bad guy. 

Well hard luck on yer back teeth cos we were not fekin nice

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Ked said:

Exception proving the rule

True. Ive always been interested in ancient Egypt and would love to visit Egypt but haven't been yet Fascinating history 

4 minutes ago, Ked said:

The entire race? What about the good ones that invented almost everything and vaccinated a planet?

Most, if not all civilisations in history no matter what race were a bunch of ****ing savages.

Edited by i8hibsh

On 05/01/2022 at 23:25, John Findlay said:

Education is the way. The council of Bristol could have/held a referendum asking its citizens if they wanted the statue removed or not. If the citizens of Bristol voted to keep it then it stays, if they voted to remove, then it's removed.

To me that would be how grown ups behave.

I believe they ignored a big petition to have it removed John. Society is constantly evolving. Older generations sometimes get left behind in that evolution and can’t see what’s wrong with having a statue of a slaver in a prominent position in their town. Part of government, whether local or national is to ‘read the room’ Bristol (quite a young town population wise) clearly failed to read the room or read it and disagreed or thought they could ignore it.

Plenty of ‘slavery’ generated buildings and statues lying about Edinburgh. almost the entire New Town was built on the back of the slave trade. It seems our population isn’t quite ready to tear it all down though

12 minutes ago, Ked said:

Do you know the word for negatively prejudicing an entire group of people based on their skin colour is?

:interehjrling:

4 minutes ago, Ked said:

Do I?

It appears so. Either that or you are being ridiculously and unjustly selective in order to prop up your anti white agenda.

54 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

It appears so. Either that or you are being ridiculously and unjustly selective in order to prop up your anti white agenda.

I'm pointing out the facts of recent history.

Which is by and large violent perpetrated by one race on another.

As was before and is presently.Roughly speaking.

Anti white is a peach 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Do you know the word for negatively prejudicing an entire group of people based on their skin colour is?

:interehjrling:

Profiling.

😁

No wonder the Tories want to scrap the Human Rights Act.

Looks like the jury had a complex legal argument to contend with.

3 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Plenty of ‘slavery’ generated buildings and statues lying about Edinburgh. almost the entire New Town was built on the back of the slave trade. It seems our population isn’t quite ready to tear it all down though

Maybe the Colston 4 and their cronies will do a tour.

12 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

We celebrate Henry the ****ing VIIIth on these shores ffs.

William Wallace is idolised in this country - many died at his hands.

To save his country from invaders, many were traitors. Wish he was here now .

13 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Sounds too sensible.

I wish people could just move on with acceptance.  Yes, the world was a bit awful and sometimes very awfull but nothing we will ever do will change this.  The world is significantly better (ish) from our vantage point.

Every moment, whether bad or good shaped the present however.

I once had an argument/debate in a pub as I witnessed a guy randomly go up to 2 Aussie girls and "apologise for the British Empire".  Me being me (shock), with a few beers fuelling me butted in and told him that if it were not for the British Empire then those 2 girls would not exist.  He simply had no argument.

It has shaped everything we enjoy and benefit from today.  Every monument, statue, historical building is our inheritance form the past - learn from and move on and take pride in how far as a society we have come.

He'd have no reason to apologise. 

And white people on either side should really not comment on how Black people see the world and how history forms their mindset.

Edited by ri Alban

4 hours ago, Ked said:

More violent than the Mongols?

African barbarian tribes?

Amazonians?

I repeat that historically, man (all skin colours) was a barbaric and savage beast. We became more civilised through the ages.

3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

And white people on either side should really not comment on how Black people see the world and how history forms their mindset.

So it is fair to say that white people know nothing of being black......and black people know nothing of being white?

4 hours ago, Ked said:

In 2022 where are the most tolerant countries on the planet?

4 hours ago, Ked said:

You do know he's a Scots Born naw voting Britnat Brexiter who loves Donald Trump and thinks building railways and harbours to rob countries of their people and wealth justifies robbing of their people and their wealth. 

The guy chatting up the 2 Aussie lassies was probably like :wtf: Gytf.

Hopefully Glasgow will be cleansed of the shame soon. 

Tick tock GB and all it's racist apologists. But but, look at them. No let's look at you.

7 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Hopefully Glasgow will be cleansed of the shame soon. 

Tick tock GB and all it's racist apologists. But but, look at them. No let's look at you.

You really are an utterly vile individual.

Edited by i8hibsh

I find it staggering how one sided the world view on race is. The entire whitey bad, rest good is so repugnant to me. 

Why does no one ever mention the amount of wealthy black people there are in Africa right now who are living on the wealth made from the slave trade? Or that black people owned slaves? Or that slavery pre dates the British empire by thousands of years? Or that white people have been slaves? Or that most wars throughout time have not been caused by 'whitey'?

Why not mention that white people ended slavery, were the first to have laws against it. The most tolerant places on earth today are not in China, Africa, the Middle East, Arab countries, South East Asia or Central or Southern America. We all seem to enjoy all the great things inherited from white people but cherry picK the bad parts as we go on some kind of self loathing crusade.

We seem to be the only race on the planet that it is just not ok to be.

Edited by i8hibsh

When a black person is killed by a black person today the world gives zero ****s. If a black person is killed by a white person it is full on rage.

A white person is killed by a cop (which happens a lot) in America the world gives no ****s. A black person is killed by a cop then it is full on rage.

Any attack (be verbal or physical) on a non white on a white person is just an attack. But any attack (be verbal or physical) by a white person on a non white person always seems to be a 'racist' one.

Anyone of colour (because white seemingly is not a colour) can be loud and proud to be who they are but anyone white who has the nerve to be proud they are full on white supremacist. 

Why not be balanced instead of always seeing the bad in anything white? It seems to all conveniently coincide with the rise of social media which gave a global platform for one to continually advertise their own morality and virtue 24/7.

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Has anyone?

2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

More violent than the Mongols?

African barbarian tribes?

Amazonians?

I repeat that historically, man (all skin colours) was a barbaric and savage beast. We became more civilised through the ages.

I didnt single whites out.

When a black person is killed by a black person today the world gives zero ****s. If a black person is killed by a white person it is full on rage.

A white person is killed by a cop (which happens a lot) in America the world gives no ****s. A black person is killed by a cop then it is full on rage.

Any attack (be verbal or physical) on a non white on a white person is just an attack. But any attack (be verbal or physical) by a white person on a non white person always seems to be a 'racist' one.

Anyone of colour (because white seemingly is not a colour) can be loud and proud to be who they are but anyone white who has the nerve to be proud they are full on white supremacist. 

Why not be balanced instead of always seeing the bad in anything white? It seems to all conveniently coincide with the rise of social media which gave a global platform for one to continually advertise their own morality and virtue 24/7.

The injustice of it all.

Rise up.🤣