Colston 4 not guilty

JudyJudyJudy

Malinga the Swinga
24 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

This sort of destruction is exactly the same as the Taliban and ISIS were rightly vilified for doing. The Bamiyan Buddhas in Afghanistan (Taliban) and from Palmyra in Syria to Imam Dur Mausoleum in Iraq (ISIS). Just because it wasn't Islamic or even worse not their sect of Islam.

Ah but they were nasty foreigners doing unforgivable damage whereas the Bristol 4 are heroic fighters righting wrongs perpetrated by evil men from long ago (they aren't though, they're just vandals).

Real reason, we are a nation of soppy hand wringing apologists, desperate to try and make amends for events carried out before anyone of us were born and had absolutely no influence on.

Surprised we haven't demolished statues to Unknown Soldier as part of this revisionist culture.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8hibsh

• Unknown user

• NANOJAMBO

• JudyJudyJudy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Are there not better ways of doing it than via a riot?

People seem to have a very black & white view of history - in several senses. First that they don't understand that racial superiority was actually a firm belief hundreds of years ago, and only education can change these views, not violence. Secondly, that people including slaves traders can be both good and bad. Colston made his money in the get-rich-quick method of the day, the 17th century's Bitcoin if you like...but that he chose to spend it on schools etc is not a bad thing. What difference does it make that a statue was put up for him for his good actions. Should've stuck up a sign to highlight he bad actions

The council tried four times. 

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Similarly, hauling controversial shit down isn't going to harm anything.

I think a good way to look at this is from the angle that if there were currently no statue to this dude, how many would want one?

If it was proposed, would people not say it was inappropriate in this day and age?

Of course they would say it was inappropriate !

Hauling down the Dundas monument, and even Dundas House would be more than harmful, it would be ridiculous !

Educating people by erecting plagues would be less harmful, and would be more em educational !

See Dundas !!

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, NANOJAMBO said:

The council tried four times. 

They should have tried harder. Green light now given to destroy anything you don't like. Just say it's offensive and precedent is there.

8 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Similarly, hauling controversial shit down isn't going to harm anything.

I think a good way to look at this is from the angle that if there were currently no statue to this dude, how many would want one?

If it was proposed, would people not say it was inappropriate in this day and age?

You are taking the view that Colston was ONLY a slave trader. He wasn't.  If you want to take the lowest common denominator as the determinant of suitability then by extrapolation you have to remove Churchill and pretty much everyone else from history...Julius Caesar was a slave trader, the vikings in their entirety need deleted from history so close the Jorvik Centre in York (and perhaps even rename York...)

Edited by Spellczech

Just now, Boab said:

With respect, I don't think anyone is condoning anything.

Celebrating it, even less so !

It's a shameful part of British history but hauling all manner of shit down ain't going to solve anything.

I do, however, take your earlier point that, at the very least, it exposed that past to more people.

It is almost a universal practice in society to build statues to those whom you want to celebrate and appreciate. You build them to warriors, scientists, great politicians, sportsmen, folk who you feel benefited society. As far as I am aware, we don't have statues in this country to Napoleon, Jack the Ripper, Jimmy Saville, etc. So, if a statue exists, we automatically assume that it is there as a celebration of that person and their contribution to society.

If folk are still saying that it is alright to have a statue of Colston in Bristol, and that it was wrong to remove it, then they don't have a full appreciation of the slave trade and what it meant to those captured in their homelands and taken in chains in abominable conditions across the world to be sold into slavery. There are a very large number of descendants of those slaves, the ones who survived long enough to have children who were very probably born themselves into slavery, now living in this country. It is the very least we can do as a society to make moves to remove statues that implicitly celebrate people who committed these atrocious crimes against their ancestors.

To those who still don't get it, I respectfully suggest that you do some reading into the slave trade and try to put yourself in the shoes of the slaves themselves and imagine how you would feel if you were one of them or one of their descendants. You know, try to exercise some empathy. Then take a new look at how we can change society to recognise the errors of the past, show our contrition, work hard to ensure we don't make the same mistakes, and allow the descendants of those who suffered from the slave trade to live their lives in society without giving them the impression that we still celebrate or condone (I'll use those words again because that's what the Colston statue represented) the slave masters who caused so much suffering and death.

5 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I've visited both Auschwitz and Dachau concentration camps, Do you think that they should be shut down?

They are still there to show the World what the Nazis done. We can't just erase it from history

Those aren't still standing as monuments/tributes, though.

Would you be happy with a statue being erected to Adolf Eichmann?  

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Boab said:

Of course they would say it was inappropriate !

Hauling down the Dundas monument, and even Dundas House would be more than harmful, it would be ridiculous !

Educating people by erecting plagues would be less harmful, and would be more em educational !

See Dundas !!

I see no reason why statues of arseholes would be desirable.

Educate more, sure, but that's a different issue.

Unknown user
Just now, Spellczech said:

You are taking the view that Colston was ONLY a slave trader. He wasn't.  If you want to take the lowest common denominator as the determinant of suitability then by extrapolation you have to remove Churchill and pretty much everyone else from history...Julius Caesar was a slave trader, the vikings in their entirety need deleted from history so close the Jorvik Centre in York (and perhaps even rename York...)

That's pretty patronising, I'm well aware that no slave trader traded in only slaves.

Jeffros Furios
5 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Ah but they were nasty foreigners doing unforgivable damage whereas the Bristol 4 are heroic fighters righting wrongs perpetrated by evil men from long ago (they aren't though, they're just vandals).

Real reason, we are a nation of soppy hand wringing apologists, desperate to try and make amends for events carried out before anyone of us were born and had absolutely no influence on.

Surprised we haven't demolished statues to Unknown Soldier as part of this revisionist culture.

Good post 

Just now, redjambo said:

It is almost a universal practice in society to build statues to those whom you want to celebrate and appreciate. You build them to warriors, scientists, great politicians, sportsmen, folk who you feel benefited society. As far as I am aware, we don't have statues in this country to Napoleon, Jack the Ripper, Jimmy Saville, etc. So, if a statue exists, we automatically assume that it is there as a celebration of that person and their contribution to society.

If folk are still saying that it is alright to have a statue of Colston in Bristol, and that it was wrong to remove it, then they don't have a full appreciation of the slave trade and what it meant to those captured in their homelands and taken in chains in abominable conditions across the world to be sold into slavery. There are a very large number of descendants of those slaves, the ones who survived long enough to have children who were very probably born themselves into slavery, now living in this country. It is the very least we can do as a society to make moves to remove statues that implicitly celebrate people who committed these atrocious crimes against their ancestors.

To those who still don't get it, I respectfully suggest that you do some reading into the slave trade and try to put yourself in the shoes of the slaves themselves and imagine how you would feel if you were one of them or one of their descendants. You know, try to exercise some empathy. Then take a new look at how we can change society to recognise the errors of the past, show our contrition, work hard to ensure we don't make the same mistakes, and allow the descendants of those who suffered from the slave trade to live their lives in society without giving them the impression that we still celebrate or condone (I'll use those words again because that's what the Colston statue represented) the slave masters who caused so much suffering and death.

I'm quite up on Britain's links to the slave trade. We were up there at the top actually.

I'll repeat, do we take down the Melville Monument ?

Really ?

1 minute ago, Gizmo said:

Those aren't still standing as monuments/tributes, though.

Would you be happy with a statue being erected to Adolf Eichmann?  

You're missing the point. No statues to Eichmann were established in the 1940s, in his day. This is not the case with these guys who actually have statues. At one time they were celebrated by their peers. Eichmann never was. The statue is a legacy of his good actions. It is not a legacy of his actions in the slave trade. The fact that he made his money via the slave trade should be a big part of his story, not hidden. If you hide or destroy the statue, and rename the school then you are killing the story entirely, and this doesn't educate anyone about anything. Colston will be forgotten but so will both the bad and the good things he did.

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

That's pretty patronising, I'm well aware that no slave trader traded in only slaves.

Ok reflect it in your views then...

1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

You're missing the point. No statues to Eichmann were established in the 1940s, in his day. This is not the case with these guys who actually have statues. At one time they were celebrated by their peers. Eichmann never was. The statue is a legacy of his good actions. It is not a legacy of his actions in the slave trade. The fact that he made his money via the slave trade should be a big part of his story, not hidden. If you hide or destroy the statue, and rename the school then you are killing the story entirely, and this doesn't educate anyone about anything. Colston will be forgotten but so will both the bad and the good things he did.

Why can't we just educate people at school where we, you know, educate people? 

The statue was erected 170 years AFTER Colston's death. It was, in effect, an attempt to re-write history and depict Colston as a philanthropist who only did good in Bristol. It was just a piece of propoganda

Just now, Boab said:

I'm quite up on Britain's links to the slave trade. We were up there at the top actually.

I'll repeat, do we take down the Melville Monument ?

Really ?

I think we need to have a national debate on the issue, Boab, not hide away and hope that if we do nothing, the issue will go away. Whether that means we will eventually do nothing, add plaques to statues, or remove the statues of the greatest proponents of the slave trade (however that is decided), I don't know. However, the debate needs to take place, imo. There are still too many people, many of them on here, with their heads in the sand on the issue, and that's not good for a society that needs to make sure that our society is a caring, inclusive, plural, smart and honest place for all its people.

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

Ok reflect it in your views then...

I don't share your view therefore I must think he only traded slaves?

WK270vJ.gif

89% of the wealth used to found Bristol University depended on the labour of enslaved people. Notably, enslaved labour can be linked to all three of the names represented in our University crest: Wills, Fry and Colston (Taken from their page)

Why dont they pull that down, changing names is just sweeping under the carpet. Students happy to go to uni built on slave money but only if it hides founders past.

Many if not most Universities are founded by slave money in UK but it doesnt stop people going there.

Just now, redjambo said:

I think we need to have a national debate on the issue, Boab, not hide away and hope that if we do nothing, the issue will go away. Whether that means we will eventually do nothing, add plaques to statues, or remove the statues of the greatest proponents of the slave trade (however that is decided), I don't know. However, the debate needs to take place, imo. There are still too many people, many of them on here, with their heads in the sand on the issue, and that's not good for a society that needs to make sure that our society is a caring, inclusive, plural, smart and honest place for all its people.

I agree with all of that of course.

My point, maybe deemed flippant to some, is, the verdict is a green light for people to attack anything built on the back of slaves. Take your pick in Edinburgh, there's loads !

11 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Isn’t that kind of the crux of the issue, which I think some people are missing. 

I don’t think anyone disagrees with the cause, some might disagrees around margins ie. Plaque or complete removal type thing. However, everyone is aligned slavery was bad (albeit I agree with your second para).

They undertook the ‘righting of a wrong’ by ripping a statue down is pretty dangerous and risky especially with large crowds ongoing. They put people at risk, by ripping that statue down, even ignoring the potential dangers that come from rioting crowds. They could have followed a legal route to get it done🤷🏻‍♂️

It seems little more than mob mentality kicking in. 

I don’t know the details of the case but surprised they were found innocent as laws tends to be about judgment on your actions and not intentions. It arguably, sets a very dangerous precedent.

I’m off to kill Boris Johnson  as he’s a racist who has been responsible for the death of 1000’s off people, I’m sure the jury would understand🧐 (I’m not really I’m just being facetious, before secrete service knock at my door)

I understand and even have sympathy why it was done, still, I’m still surprised a jury found them innocent. I expected a guilty and the judge to give a lenient sentence tbh.

Indeed the Tony Blair knighthood is similar, except even in the here and now many people feel uncomfortable with him being celebrated. I don't know, perhaps there were some objectors to the statue back in the day when it was erected but their voices were drowned out... The irony with Blair is that he was directly responsible for the statues of Saddam Hussein being toppled.

History is all about interpretation and review. It is not set in stone. It's been about propaganda since the time of the Roman historians. Is Colville worthy of celebration today? Probably not - did the education of thousands of children over the last 200 years erase the stain of how the school was funded? Debateable... Personally I think they should've left the statue, put up a plaque and renamed the school.

Edited by Spellczech

Pasquale for King

Whether you find the history of a country embarrassing or not most will agree on what should be celebrated with statues, slave traders not so much.

Are there any Hitler statues going around? Did Saville not have his statue taken down? 
Im glad they got off but a more democratic way would’ve been better. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Boab said:

My point, maybe deemed flippant to some, is, the verdict is a green light for people to attack anything built on the back of slaves. Take your pick in Edinburgh, there's loads !

I’ve got a list, Lord Melvilles monument in St Andrews square is first up. 

E071829E-C582-48E0-B230-DF39560AA584.jpeg

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I've not got my head in the sand about slavery. 

I just don't agree with mob rule and lack of awareness that people could have been injured. 

The verdict has opened a door on on extreme protest. 

I am against blood sports does that verdict now give me the right to break into property and release all the animals. 

I'll be happy if it does. 

Unknown user
17 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Isn’t that kind of the crux of the issue, which I think some people are missing. 

I don’t think anyone disagrees with the cause, some might disagrees around margins ie. Plaque or complete removal type thing. However, everyone is aligned slavery was bad (albeit I agree with your second para).

They undertook the ‘righting of a wrong’ by ripping a statue down is pretty dangerous and risky especially with large crowds ongoing. They put people at risk, by ripping that statue down, even ignoring the potential dangers that come from rioting crowds. They could have followed a legal route to get it done🤷🏻‍♂️

It seems little more than mob mentality kicking in. 

I don’t know the details of the case but surprised they were found innocent as laws tends to be about judgment on your actions and not intentions. It arguably, sets a very dangerous precedent.

I’m off to kill Boris Johnson  as he’s a racist who has been responsible for the death of 1000’s off people, I’m sure the jury would understand🧐 (I’m not really I’m just being facetious, before secrete service knock at my door)

I understand and even have sympathy why it was done, still, I’m still surprised a jury found them innocent. I expected a guilty and the judge to give a lenient sentence tbh.

I basically agree with this, I'm still not clear on the basis of the verdict but it was a surprise.

Having said that I see no reason slave traders should have statues in public, even if they did other stuff.

It's like that old joke- you shag one sheep...

1 minute ago, Boab said:

:D I know, we're fecked if folk take a dislike to slave trader statues in Edinburgh.

The requirement for a national debate aside, I think that Bristol and Colston was very much a singular situation. The local population had been trying to get the statue removed, or at least a plaque added, for donkey's years but the local establishment had prevented the moves every single time. There was a great deal of frustration from the local community. And then of course along came the BLM marches, an opportunity arose, and that frustration manifested itself in the toppling of the statue.

So the toppling of the Colston statue took place in specific circumstances. No-one was hurt, as far as I am aware, and an important point was made. I think that the jury understood this and that was reflected in their verdict. It means neither that the sky is falling in nor that folk are going to be toppling statues willy nilly as a result. In fact, it's pleasing in a way that the event illustrated that our youth do care about issues like these, that there are still those who want to try to make society a better, more inclusive, place.

You can both want the statues to be removed, and find those who vandalised it,chucked it in the water guilty. There are ways of doing things.

3 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

You can both want the statues to be removed, and find those who vandalised it,chucked it in the water guilty. There are ways of doing things.

Put the statues in a museum with the full history of the subject.

That's the compromise in some of the southern US states in getting Confedrate statues removed from public display. 

Edited by NANOJAMBO

1 minute ago, hughesie27 said:

There are ways of doing things.

Anarchy, lynch mobs and taking the law into your own hands are not ways of doing things. 

Finding these four not guilty is condoning the above. 

18 minutes ago, luckydug said:

The verdict has opened a door on on extreme protest.

Not the case, imo. As I described, the Colston case was quite a singular one. I don't think it will open up the doors to "extreme protest". It wasn't legal precedent, unless the general public who serve on juries now decide to judge cases differently, and I think that is unlikely.

Someone mentioned on The Box that the simple solution would have been to hold a referendum. If there were that many people in Bristol vexed about the statue then it would removed legally. 

1 minute ago, Boy Daniel said:

Someone mentioned on The Box that the simple solution would have been to hold a referendum. If there were that many people in Bristol vexed about the statue then it would removed legally. 

The majority white population then win the day ?

How is that listening to victims of slavery ? 

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Not the case, imo. As I described, the Colston case was quite a singular one. I don't think it will open up the doors to "extreme protest". It wasn't legal precedent, unless the general public who serve on juries now decide to judge cases differently, and I think that is unlikely.

As was made abundantly clear on both C4 News & ITV. 

4 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Was there a referendum to put the statue up?

Besides, surely we have learned that referendums are a terrible device for building consensus

7 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Are you aware how the majority of the white population of Bristol would have voted in a referendum? The Majority, (white, black, whatever heritage)  of Bristol elected a Blackman as mayor. What’s to say they would not have voted to remove the statue. We will never know now.

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Well done to the Colston 4 and the jury who found them not guilty.

Thumbs down to those who would continue to condone the slave trade and the UK's part in it. Maybe you should work a little harder at trying to recover a little bit of your humanity.

If we don't recognise and atone for the mistakes of the past, we will never sufficiently learn from them.

Few key words in this cluster of nausea:

condone - seriously, who condones it?  Have you ever actually heard anyone in your life walk about saying 'thumbs up to the slave owners'? ‘I wish we had never freed the slaves’ etc etc

trade – this was a two-way trade.  Black people traded the slaves – where is their culpability?

Atone – not one single person involved in the UK slave trade is alive today.  Who atones?  I feel you want any white person to bear the burden and atone based on nothing more than the fact they happen to share their skin colour? Am I right?

Therefore, why just white people? Every race on the planet has countless crimes against humanity in their history – when does the atonement end?

History does not belong to these four workshy cretins, it is my history, your history – everyone’s history.  What gives them the right to erase and re-write it? Life doesn’t work like that.

Also, and only a mere pertinent point I may add  - this now sets a precedent for damage of public property based on subjectivity.

9 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Was there a referendum to put the statue up?

I doubt it. 

10 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Besides, surely we have learned that referendums are a terrible device for building consensus

Given the facts unlike say Brexit then I’m sure the good people of Bristol would have voted for it to be removed. 

Estimates range form about 100 - 120 billion humans have lived on our planet at some time or another.  Out of this 100 - 120 billion people, I am responsible for me and me alone.  I have never committed a crime, I have harmed no one in my life, pay taxes, recycle, help others when I can and respect other people's right to live and be free.  I shall not apologise or feel blame for not one action by another before me or in my lifetime.

8 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Are you aware how the majority of the white population of Bristol would have voted in a referendum? The Majority, (white, black, whatever heritage)  of Bristol elected a Blackman as mayor. What’s to say they would not have voted to remove the statue. We will never know now.

Well given they tried for years and had four attempts as simply getting a second plaque agreed I'd suggest it's highly unlikely.

In any event, my main point is : you don't need a referendum to hear what  the victims of slavery want. 

48 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Anarchy, lynch mobs and taking the law into your own hands are not ways of doing things. 

Finding these four not guilty is condoning the above. 

That was my point.

John Findlay

Just seen this put up as I was waiting on my bus for work. This is at the corner of Boswall Parkway and Crewe Road North.

20220106_141945.jpg

Robert Burns had accepted a job as a ‘poor ***** driver’ on a Jamaican slave plantation, the only thing stopping him being the unexpected success of his first published works (which were originally intended to fund his journey to Jamaica).

Are his statues safe? 😂

Meanwhile on Baghdad FC Kickback .....

image.jpeg.3869f00419b507ee322fd5d3e54886ee.jpeg

Iraqi Bystander 1 "Look at all these ***** trying to re-write history"
Iraqi Bystander 2 "I think a plaque saying he was a murdering dictator would have been more than enough"
Iraqi Bystander 3 "He wasn't *just* a murdering dictator though .... he was  a family man and kind to animals, stick that on the plaque too"
Iraqi Bystander 4 "FFS, did I miss the vote on this?"
🙂

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

I’ve got a list, Lord Melvilles monument in St Andrews square is first up. 

E071829E-C582-48E0-B230-DF39560AA584.jpeg

Yeah but the context of that was that during this period the UK was at war with France, a very expensive war. It was during this war that Income Tax was introduced by Pitt the Younger in 1799 as a supposedly temporary measure.  Basically if labour isn't free it has to be paid for and Govt will take it's share one way or another...Even now, Capitalism encourages us all be be in debt so that we work and pay tax.

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

I don't share your view therefore I must think he only traded slaves?

WK270vJ.gif

Ok then, your proposition that we consider whether he would get a statue today is plain stupid. How's that?

12 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Meanwhile on Baghdad FC Kickback .....

image.jpeg.3869f00419b507ee322fd5d3e54886ee.jpeg

Iraqi Bystander 1 "Look at all these ***** trying to re-write history"
Iraqi Bystander 2 "I think a plaque saying he was a murdering dictator would have been more than enough"
Iraqi Bystander 3 "He wasn't *just* a murdering dictator though .... he was  a family man and kind to animals, stick that on the plaque too"
Iraqi Bystander 4 "FFS, did I miss the vote on this?"
🙂

:D

John Findlay
50 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Well given they tried for years and had four attempts as simply getting a second plaque agreed I'd suggest it's highly unlikely.

In any event, my main point is : you don't need a referendum to hear what  the victims of slavery want. 

In which way is a black person living in the 21st century a victim of slavery?

Can I claim to be a victim of the Highland clearances? I was born in 1963.

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I believe the majority of white people, if given the information, would have voted to remove statue. 

Your virtue seeking accusation that all white people are racist is astonishing and just plain wrong. You've made me agree with an I8 post and that shouldn't happen.

Pretty difficult to listen to victims of slavery when they're all dead. Approximately 200 years since Britain's involvement in slave trade, so that's a few generations passed. 

I'm not to blame for slavers actions, and I disagree with slavery as a concept. 

Why do you think I would have voted to keep statue?

Would we not be better to stop the continual use of slaves in countries such as Nigeria, Eritrea, and The Congo amongst others instead of focusing on the past.

I mean, African countries still enslaving people from other African countries doesn't seem to bother many of the hand wringers in here. 

Easy way to look pc is by looking backwards. Let's look forwards and stop it happening now but that requires work and dedication. Much easier to get pissed, jump on BLM's matter and pull down a statue. 

Attention seeking scrotes commit vandalism and then look for excuse as to why they did it. Pathetic.

Malinga the Swinga
9 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

In which way is a black person living in the 21st century a victim of slavery?

Can I claim to be a victim of the Highland clearances? I was born in 1963.

Yes, I suggest you pull down a statue immediately. Anyone who takes issue with you is racist.

There are still slaves though but I'd suggest none in Bristol.

Edited by Malinga the Swinga