• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Selkirkhmfc1874

• Bazzas right boot

• Hesh

Leveins Battalion
Just now, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

We would be aswell closing it down because Robbie just doesn't give youth a proper chance in my opinion .

The Academy was a joke,hence why John McGlaghlin has been brought in to sort it.

Nothing to do with Robbie. I’d get rid of it - not just hearts but most clubs get very little quality return. We should do what Brazil does and have national academies rather than club ones

KyleLafferty
10 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

We would be aswell closing it down because Robbie just doesn't give youth a proper chance in my opinion .

Who would you play from the academy 

KyleLafferty
Just now, GinRummy said:

Give the new recruitment team a chance to fix it I’d say but has been a disappointment recently. 

You mean the academy that’s just won a cup final, and been in a few finals and bet the likes of rangers and Celtic? 

1 minute ago, KyleLafferty said:

You mean the academy that’s just won a cup final, and been in a few finals and bet the likes of rangers and Celtic? 

How many academy’s do we have?

Selkirkhmfc1874
2 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Who would you play from the academy 

Pollock would add something to the team for one 

KyleLafferty
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

How many academy’s do we have?

The fact you came back with a smart arse answer screams you don’t have a clue and cannot debate about football 🙂

KyleLafferty

Pollock would add something to the team for one 

I’m surprised he hasn’t a had a sub appearance but dunno who he would get a game over.

Selkirkhmfc1874

I’m surprised he hasn’t a had a sub appearance but dunno who he would get a game over.

We need to offer a pathway for the kids to come through to the first team because otherwise it's just a waste of money

Just now, KyleLafferty said:

The fact you came back with a smart arse answer screams you don’t have a clue and cannot debate about football 🙂

You ask a stupid question you get a stupid answer. A lot of hearts fans aren’t football experts and I can include myself in that. You started behaving like a cock so don’t take the high ground with me. 

StevenNaismith

A few folk on here could do with spending a bit of time up at the Oriam. Absolute nonsense spouted on here when there’s no games.

The issue is definitely the step up is significant and there is no reserve league. The loan system doesn't seem to be working for many of our young players although Henderson coming back and being given a chance might test that.

When it comes right down to it though we are a community owned club and not to have a youth academy in place for that community would just be plain wrong.

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, StevenNaismith said:

A few folk on here could do with spending a bit of time up at the Oriam. Absolute nonsense spouted on here when there’s no games.

Obviously lots going on at the Oriam but the fact of the matter is Robbie doesn't give kids a proper chance in the first team 

KyleLafferty
1 minute ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

We need to offer a pathway for the kids to come through to the first team because otherwise it's just a waste of money

Are we any worse than any other of the big clubs in scotland? Harry stone will be the keeper one day. Hearts can only provide the coaching and the advice. Me personally that I’ve experienced coaching young footballers for a 5/6 years is that most don’t dedicate themselves enough to get to the top.

Selkirkhmfc1874
Just now, KyleLafferty said:

Are we any worse than any other of the big clubs in scotland? Harry stone will be the keeper one day. Hearts can only provide the coaching and the advice. Me personally that I’ve experienced coaching young footballers for a 5/6 years is that most don’t dedicate themselves enough to get to the top.

Think you'll find most other clubs in the premier league playing players who've come through there system 

A cock 😂. Crack on with your day Sir.

Yes, behaving like a cock. That’s not to say you are a cock to be clear, I’m sure you’re a very nice person who momentarily decided to ask a question you knew the answer to in order to put someone else down a wee bit. 

Using academy players is all fine and well but as soon as the team starts loosing or the academy player plays poor for a game or 3 the hearts fans would be on their backs and the managers back which isn't good for a young lad. Great idea though let's just use the academy because it's there, even if we have better players available

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, Blair835 said:

Using academy players is all fine and well but as soon as the team starts loosing or the academy player plays poor for a game or 3 the hearts fans would be on their backs and the managers back which isn't good for a young lad. Great idea though let's just use the academy because it's there, even if we have better players available

That's nonsense ! Kids coming through get patience from the Hearts supporters and always have done 

3 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Maybe they just want to play football and don’t want to “get to the top”

Let's see how it goes under Joe and John McGlaughlin. Things obviously haven't worked out well for us recently but that doesn’t mean to say it can't in the future. I wouldn't scrap it just yet. 

Bazzas right boot

Cannae really slag Bob direct this season so this is a good thread to get in about him in a subtle manner (Bob is shite in a round about way thread #187) 

9 minutes ago, Hesh said:

Moan all you want it’s not going anywhere, better conversation would be what can be done to make things better 

The academy hasn't been great but I'm confident it'll start to produce now we have better staff.

That's nonsense ! Kids coming through get patience from the Hearts supporters and always have done 

So here's a scenario, play younger players from the academy for a season. Get relegated but give them the patience you want to give them, or play your strongest team and when a youngsters ready give them game time rather than just chuck them in? I know what I'd prefer to happen

KyleLafferty
1 minute ago, Hesh said:

Maybe they just want to play football and don’t want to “get to the top”

Yeah the people I coach probably don’t, but the young kids in top flight academies will want to get to the top.

Logan

Hamilton

Smith

Watson

All could easily get minutes now or next year. For example, do we need to replace Walker with a new journeyman signing or give Smith a chance. If Halliday leaves can Watson cover him etc. 

We have a great first xi and subs. Time to integrate some kids

Of a mind that everything football related Craig Levein touched at our club has turned to shit. 

Give Savage time to try and sort it out. John McLaughlins role seems to be to oversee all of the youngsters coaching and push it towards being elite level. (Or that’s what the job spec said 😂)

It wouldn’t surprise me if most of what we’re doing is fine, we’re just falling short in a few key areas in managing that transfer between youth and first team.  

20 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

A better yardstick would be the number of Academy graduates that go on to play 150 games for the first team IMO. 

Not many. 

3 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Yeah the people I coach probably don’t, but the young kids in top flight academies will want to get to the top.

For me kids go into academy’s too young, got pumped out and are often lost to football completely. Loads of the boys anyway aren’t much better than those playing in some boys clubs anyway 

Just now, OTT said:

Of a mind that everything football related Craig Levein touched at our club has turned to shit. 

Give Savage time to try and sort it out. John McLaughlins role seems to be to oversee all of the youngsters coaching and push it towards being elite level. (Or that’s what the job spec said 😂)

It wouldn’t surprise me if most of what we’re doing is fine, we’re just falling short in a few key areas in managing that transfer between youth and first team.  

I agree. Would be daft to can the academy after so many changes at the club. Hopefully see more breaking through. Only really Irving last season and Pollock briefly. Going to be even harder for the young guys as better players arrive. 

6 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

The academy hasn't been great but I'm confident it'll start to produce now we have better staff.

It’s cyclical too depending on the quality of your year group 

Too expensive to maintain. Guessing at a good few million between staff and running costs 🤔. Can't find any information on the accounts that tell you both. 🤔 

Selkirkhmfc1874
7 minutes ago, Blair835 said:

So here's a scenario, play younger players from the academy for a season. Get relegated but give them the patience you want to give them, or play your strongest team and when a youngsters ready give them game time rather than just chuck them in? I know what I'd prefer to happen

Nobody is saying play a team full of kids but there has to be a pathway to first team for the kids otherwise the academy is a waste of money and time

Selkirkhmfc1874
3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I agree. Would be daft to can the academy after so many changes at the club. Hopefully see more breaking through. Only really Irving last season and Pollock briefly. Going to be even harder for the young guys as better players arrive. 

It shouldn't be harder if we developing kids because even the old firm who spend millions give kids game time more than Robbie 

SectionDJambo

I think we need to give the relatively new backroom team, including the new CEO, a chance to properly assess and change the shortcomings the academy has clearly had under Craig Levein. The club is re emerging from the shambles that Joe Savage inherited.

Last season was all about getting out of the Championship at the first go, with Covid being a major distraction to the normal operation of the football club.

The investment made in the academy hasn't shown much, if any return, so far. Now that we seem to be establishing ourselves comfortably among the top clubs, and the scattergun approach to recruitment appears to be a thing of the past, better planning of our coaching and development of young players should be achieved. The young boys could certainly not have a better role model than Steven Naismith, which is a positive move in my opinion.

It's easier to introduce young talent into a strong first team, rather than the struggling team we had prior to the demotion. We have to have a high calibre of senior players who can show youngsters what it takes to be successful and support them on the pitch when they are involved in the first team. It was such an environment that produced John Robertson, Gary Mackay and Dave Bowman, and gave others a foothold in the professional game.

Having a reserve league to play young players against seasoned professionals of other clubs would make sense for our club, and others, but it doesn't look like happening soon. Maybe we should look to ask about a Colts team being entered into the Lowland League, similar to what Celtic and Rangers have been allowed to do.

5 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Nobody is saying play a team full of kids but there has to be a pathway to first team for the kids otherwise the academy is a waste of money and time

Too risky with results being all important. 

Bazzas right boot

It shouldn't be harder if we developing kids because even the old firm who spend millions give kids game time more than Robbie 

I don't think most fans  Care about the age of players or where they came from, it's about the success and improvement of the team.

I also don't think our Academy is any  worse or better than other similar sized clubs. 

You'll no doubt have the data on that tho in order to bring balance and context to your reasoning. 

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Nothing to do with bashing individuals but I think there is a wider discussion to be had around whether academies are worth the effort for clubs our size. The gulf in size between football clubs now is so vast that anyone who looks like an asset will probably be hoovered up before they're anywhere near our first team. And these clubs can afford to carry scores of youngsters. Maybe it makes more sense for middling clubs lo like Hearts to let the giants have all the costs and we sift through the hundreds that inevitably won't make it. 

Edited by Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, jr ewing said:

Too risky with results being all important. 

When we've brought through youngsters in the past we got results and look at when JJ brought home the scottish cup how many kids were in that team 

When we've brought through youngsters in the past we got results and look at when JJ brought home the scottish cup how many kids were in that team 

Changed days. 

28 minutes ago, Jodami said:

The issue is definitely the step up is significant and there is no reserve league. The loan system doesn't seem to be working for many of our young players although Henderson coming back and being given a chance might test that.

When it comes right down to it though we are a community owned club and not to have a youth academy in place for that community would just be plain wrong.

This is correct IMO. 
scrapping the reserve league was a shite idea. 

I no longer call it the Academy, it’s a kick about facility for me, using the word Academy gives the impression that some sort of education and development happens in there.

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

I don't think most fans  Care about the age of players or where they came from, it's about the success and improvement of the team.

I also don't think our Academy is any  worse or better than other similar sized clubs. 

You'll no doubt have the data on that tho in order to bring balance and context to your reasoning. 

You only need to look around the premiership to see the likes of Dundee United, Aberdeen etc bringing players through and playing them in the first team

2 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Nothing to do with bashing individuals but I think there is a wider discussion to be had around whether academies are worth the effort for clubs our size. The gulf in size between football clubs now is so vast that anyone who looks like an asset will probably be hoovered up before they're anywhere near our first team. And these clubs can afford to carry scores of youngsters. Maybe it makes more sense for middling clubs Hearts to let the giants have all the costs and we sift through the hundreds that inevitably won't make it. 

100% this. Brentford does it with great success 🙌