Safe standing poll

davemclaren

Safe standing at Tynecastle poll  

481 members have voted

1. 1. Will you use safe standing if it is introduced at Tynecastle?

• Always use safe standing area
    • Sometimes use safe standing but sometimes get a seat
    • Always use a seated area

Byyy The Light

So based on this very small sample, over 50% would use it occasionally or all the time.

Based on the demographic of JKB (i.e. auld and midget) my dream can become a reality and the whole Gorgie will be safe standing 

:yas::glorious:

Edited by Byyy The Light

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• ri Alban

• The Gorgie

• GinRummy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Smithee said:

I'm 5'6", you can all kiss my short arse

If i was standing in front of you, you'd the one kissing my arse 😂

I voted always take a seat.

However, that does not mean I oppose safe standing. I'm all for it. Much better all round if those who want to stand do so in areas designed for that.

My (Willie Bauld era) dad's last game was one of the European nights at Murrayfield, where we sat behind a bunch of standers. He missed a lot of the match and couldn't cope with having to get up and down out of his own seat every time the guys in front decided it was standing time. On the way home, he told me he thought he was maybe getting a bit too old to go to the football.

Much better to have separate seating and standing areas. 

Chose always use safe standing. 

Spent decades on the terracing, moving from side to side to see the action. This is nothing remotely like the terracing days. 

5 minutes ago, Boab said:

Chose always use safe standing. 

Spent decades on the terracing, moving from side to side to see the action. This is nothing remotely like the terracing days. 

I miss the smell of pish running down the terraces. 

On 05/01/2022 at 12:28, sassenach said:

I've voted sometimes.

My feeling is that "safe standing" will be just like standing in seated areas, in which case I might as well have a seat to use if I want to.

I'd probably give it a go though, just to see how it feels.  If it was traditional terracing I'd definitely use it, but there's no chance of that.

Whether I give it a go would also depend on the part of the ground and the view.

Not sure if I understand what you mean. 

Are you saying that, even if there is safe standing you might prefer to go to a seated area, where you will stand up when you feel like it?

Try that in front of me and you'll hear the sound of sweetie papers rustling. No idle talk.

The Hogfather

The seats that were in the bottom of G a couple of years ago were pretty clever in that you could sit in the seat if you wanted to and your view wouldn't be obstructed by the person standing in front of you. With that I mind, I voted in favour of it but whether I used it would be entirely down to its location. I like my current position at Tynecastle and would be very, very reluctant to give it up.

36 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

The seats that were in the bottom of G a couple of years ago were pretty clever in that you could sit in the seat if you wanted to and your view wouldn't be obstructed by the person standing in front of you. With that I mind, I voted in favour of it but whether I used it would be entirely down to its location. I like my current position at Tynecastle and would be very, very reluctant to give it up.

🤔 skewed the vote. 😄

2 hours ago, sassenach said:

"Safe standing", as I understand it, will still have allocated spaces.  I feel that the experience will be closer to that of a seated area than that of a traditional standing terrace.

That's all I was saying, I was in no way suggesting that I would still go into seated areas but choose to stand.  I don't know how you thought that, to be honest, but there is no need for the veiled treat of violence.

You're safe from that rustling sound, and perhaps the odd 'tut tut' or raised eyebrows.

The reason I asked is it didn't occur to me that anyone might sit down in a safe standing area because they'd not be able to see through the person standing in front of them. But I can see that I picked you up wrongly. 

As ever on here, didn't mean to cause offence.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
On 05/01/2022 at 10:51, GinRummy said:

I am 5 foot 7. I'd prefer to stand at the football but not if there are proper grown up sized people in front of me. So I picked seated.

On 05/01/2022 at 10:52, davemclaren said:

You are very small. 😵💫

I'm 5'7" as well.

Heightist admin oot!

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

I voted to always used seated. I loved standing in the Shed in the 70s but, since then, I've had cartilage operations on both knees, so I'll not be standing anywhere unless I have to.

47 minutes ago, sassenach said:

No problem, no offence taken.

You've still got me wrong though.  My football upbringing was very much on terraces.  Not in The Shed - I didn't follow Hearts back in the day - but in Middlesbrough's Holgate End and 50-odd away grounds around England.  And I absolutely loved it.  Safe standing, in my opinion, is unlikely to provide anything even approaching the experience of an open terrace.

I understand that safe standing will involve specified seat numbers, just like with seating, but with the seats locked out of the way in an upwards position.  So fans will be standing, but still in their allocated spots.  This is essentially what happens in some parts of the ground anyway - the only difference being that the seats don't lock away and there aren't any rails.

I accept that safe standing is probably safer than standing in seated areas, because of the rails.  But in my opinion, the fan experience in terms of atmosphere is unlikely to be any different from the current situation of standing in seating areas.  Most fans know which parts of the ground this takes place in, so I don't imagine that many get caught out by people standing in front of them.

I'm neither short nor tall (a midge's dick under 6'), but I think the rake of Tynecastle's stands would ensure a decent view for all but the very shortest.  I would probably try a safe standing area if it was introduced, depending on the part of the ground and the view from that area.  I just feel that it won't be as good as a lot of people are hoping.

I haven't read about any experiences of fans who have actually used safe standing.  For all I know, they might think it's absolutely brilliant, and my opinions might be complete rubbish.  If anyone has any links to anything (perhaps from Germany or from Celtic fans) I'd be interested to read them 

I’ve stood in safe standing in Germany ( Hannover 96 ) and most folk leant on the rails. Nothing like the old terracing and no greater atmosphere imo. 

Jack Torrance
21 hours ago, Broxburn Jambo said:

This is me too

Same.

I like my seat. It's back row so I occasionally stand now and again. Would like to see the option for others with a safe standing section, but it wouldn't be like the Shed days and that's maybe not a bad thing tbf. Thankfully the days of incidents like Hillsborough appear to be behind us.

All that said, my two favourite memories are Bayern at home and the 0-3 1986 game at Tannadice, both in terracing. So a modern day option to help the atmosphere might not be a bad thing.

Watt-Zeefuik

Don't think there's any need to look for majorities. Nobody (at least as I've seen) is suggesting turning all or even most of the seating at Tynecastle into standing terraces.

What this shows is there would be decent demand for standing areas, and as the chat in the thread shows, even those who prefer a seat would probably like a designated standing area so that those who want to stand won't do so in front of those who want to sit.

Broxburn Jambo
2 hours ago, Jack Torrance said:

Same.

I like my seat. It's back row so I occasionally stand now and again. Would like to see the option for others with a safe standing section, but it wouldn't be like the Shed days and that's maybe not a bad thing tbf. Thankfully the days of incidents like Hillsborough appear to be behind us.

All that said, my two favourite memories are Bayern at home and the 0-3 1986 game at Tannadice, both in terracing. So a modern day option to help the atmosphere might not be a bad thing.

Bayern game I was in the Gorgie end, so had a great view of the goal and the mayhem that ensued, but my best memory of standing was Wayne on the fence at Easter Road, followed by away at Pittodrie Beach End when JC scored in Jan 86

Phil D. Corners

I would like to see a safe standing section rather then people standing randomly around ground. 

I love the atmosphere in German Games where the away fans are at one end and the standing section for the vocal home fans is at the other. 

Would be happy for some FOH funds to cover the cost to make it happen. And would watch those standing from my seat. 

Byyy The Light
35 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

I would like to see a safe standing section rather then people standing randomly around ground. 

I love the atmosphere in German Games where the away fans are at one end and the standing section for the vocal home fans is at the other. 

Would be happy for some FOH funds to cover the cost to make it happen. And would watch those standing from my seat. 

Good point about away fans. Tynecastle already gets voted best away day by majority of clubs. Could make it even better with safe standing. Most away fans stand anyway.

Ill happily improve the experience for away fans if it means more want to come to Tynecastle and give us their money.

Full Gorgie, full School end.

On atmosphere, I sit in the new main stand and would love to stand up but don’t out of respect to others around me. Same goes with singing. Not a starter but love to join in but feel a plank when nobody around you joins in. It’s not about recreating the terracing of days gone by but more about herding all the people who enjoy those aspects of going to the football in one place.

If people know you can go to standing area, stand up without pissing off other fans and joining in with some chants and singing then surely that’s a good thing. 

On 05/01/2022 at 14:44, Fort Vallance said:

The one thing that might sway was the whole row not having to stand up 6 times a game for the twat a few seats along that can't sit still.

On 05/01/2022 at 10:48, davemclaren said:

If there was safe standing at Tynecastle would you always use it, sometimes use or always get a seat? This isn’t scientific but just to get a gut feeling for it. 

I miss standing so much. It’s a shame it will be allocated rather than the old days when you could just meet your mate and stand together.

some fun was had in the late 80s and 90s in the shed. 

loved when we scored and the away would take you 20 feet from where you started. 

I honestly think the seats ruined the atmosphere.