Safe standing poll

davemclaren

Safe standing at Tynecastle poll  

481 members have voted

1. 1. Will you use safe standing if it is introduced at Tynecastle?

• Always use safe standing area
    • Sometimes use safe standing but sometimes get a seat
    • Always use a seated area

If there was safe standing at Tynecastle would you always use it, sometimes use or always get a seat? This isn’t scientific but just to get a gut feeling for it. 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• ri Alban

• The Gorgie

• GinRummy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am 5 foot 7. I'd prefer to stand at the football but not if there are proper grown up sized people in front of me. So I picked seated.

Just now, GinRummy said:

I am 5 foot 7. I'd prefer to stand at the football but not if there are proper grown up sized people in front of me. So I picked seated.

You are very small. 😵💫

2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

You are very small. 😵💫

For whatever reason I seem to look smaller than I am as well☹️

Stand. We stand in section N so if there was a proper area it would be better, get a wee railing to lean on if the legs are getting tired.

I’ve been seated at Tynecastle since the late 80s after many years on the terracing ( though occasionally sat on the benches after they were installed ). When I have to stand at away matches these days ( due to folk in front standing ) I find it a tad tedious, due to my age and condition. 

I love standing. However not sure I’d be able to convince the cronies I’m with to move. Might just need to keep going to away games when standing is the norm! 

avhudtheteeshirt
20 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I've got to say, your right, but its still annoying when seated and something happens and everyone stands up, you still can't see!!!

26 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Hiya Shaun :wavey:

30 minutes ago, avhudtheteeshirt said:

I've got to say, your right, but its still annoying when seated and something happens and everyone stands up, you still can't see!!!

It is but I'm as bad as anyone for standing up at the first sign of excitement so can't criticise too much. 

26 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Hiya Shaun :wavey:

😀

TyphoonJambo
57 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It's OK Mr Malloney, there's seats in the dugouts

I struggle to stand after the pre-match consumption of foaming beverages so would be lying if I said standing was a reliable option.

Self inflicted seating is my only option.

I like standing at matches so I would be happy to use it, Depending where its located within the stadium I may use it more than seating elsewhere. 

I can picture it now fans buying tickets in the standing section and then sitting and a fight breaking out because they are asking them to sit. 

Same height as a previous poster (5' 7"), although my reason for choosing seated as a preference is mainly age related (72) and physical difficulties in standing for long periods of time

Bazzas right boot

Standing is better for booing and finger pointing and being in a constant rage. 

Sitting is better for eating and not standing. 

One of the biggest issues of standing was that there was rarely any cover so the elements ****ed you, standing under cover will be a bit better. 

Pasquale for King

I don’t think it’s going to be a choice to make for certain games, any standing area will surely be sold out with STs and closely monitored so it doesn’t get overcrowded as Section N does now and Section G did before? 
Have the club not released any statements about the trial we had a few years ago BC?

Sitting for me. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

It depends where it was I guess, I’m happy with where I sit/stand in upper G, and don’t want to move seats, if this standing area ended up in upper G I would be fine with it if it was in another area of the stadium I wouldn’t move for it. Ironically I picked seated every time even though 90% of the time I’m standing anyway but that’s due to everyone else standing so no choice 🙈

Atmosphere would be greater with a standing area, logistically though will be difficult, imagine the Gorgie end would be the best place but would mean uprooting Hospitality and families.

Safe standing a good idea imo. 

However being over70 find sitting more comfortable. 

Ten years ago I'd have been applying for a ST in standing area if it had been available then. 

We used to have seats at the back row of the old main stand up to about seven years ago the banter was good as well and nobody bothered about us standing. 

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Same here GR, makes it easier to hide in a crowded pub buddy, got to be pluses to every situation 😂👍

6 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Atmosphere would be greater with a standing area, logistically though will be difficult, imagine the Gorgie end would be the best place but would mean uprooting Hospitality and families.

If we are cutting away allocations permanently I think sections G H J would be a good idea. 

Locate a singing section in there as well. 

More chance of drowning out away supports too. 

N Lincs Jambo

Back in the 80s and early 90s used to stand on the school end terrace which was great except for when it was the big games and my mrs was with me. She's 5'3" and hardly ever saw anything so I can see the argument for seated. Standing is better for atmosphere tbh. Hitting 60 in the not too distant future so would definitely go for sitting down nowadays. Would love to see the whole of Section N given over to safe standing though. 

Fire_At_The_Disco

I loved standing on the terraces in the early to mid 80’s. I still don’t mind at cup semis/ finals etc but I feel I’m starting to get auld and it would become an issue for me. No problem having a section for the whippersnappers though. 🥴

11 minutes ago, Hesh said:

Sorry may have missed this, would it increase our capacity?

Identical, I'd think.

As long as there's no weegification labelling it a "staunie section" I'm all for it.

West Coast pish is starting to become as hazardous as Americanisms.

Standing areas as supposed to replace existing areas where the punters refuse to sit.

So are we talking Lower N and Upper G?

Overexcited fans jumping up and blocking others' view notwithstanding, am I the only person who wonders what all the fuss is about? The entire notion of 'safe standing' seems to me to be a(nother) example of unnecessary molly-coddling interference.

'Old fashioned' style terracing at the home end in the modern Veltins Arena? Nae problem, and we've all been to smaller grounds over the years either for pre-season friendlies or cup games where standing is the only option. Personally, I've never felt in any danger whatsoever.

There are people standing at every home game and, if I'm not mistaken, the away end for derbies & Ugly Sisters games is completely standing. At every Hearts home goal the entire home support becomes not only standing but highly animated.

For the above, not to mention en-masse standing and moving at half & full time, does Tynecastle become a death trap, or what?

Byyy The Light

Whole Gorgie stand safe standing.  Gorgie suite a big fans bar before and after game.

Move hospitality to the posh seats and new floor in main stand.  Imagine how class it would be for a player to score a winner in to our very own Kop/Stretford end/Yellow Wall in the last minute against Hibs/Celtic/Rangers.  Players would love it.

In my head it would be like the away end at Easter Road.  Plenty exuberance on a weekly basis to intimidate teams and a fan experience not really found anywhere else in Scotland.

Guess it would be hard to get the guys who enjoy making signs at the away fans to move though.

2 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Whole Gorgie stand safe standing.  Gorgie suite a big fans bar before and after game.

Move hospitality to the posh seats and new floor in main stand.  Imagine how class it would be for a player to score a winner in to our very own Kop/Stretford end/Yellow Wall in the last minute against Hibs/Celtic/Rangers.  Players would love it.

In my head it would be like the away end at Easter Road.  Plenty exuberance on a weekly basis to intimidate teams and a fan experience not really found anywhere else in Scotland.

Guess it would be hard to get the guys who enjoy making signs at the away fans to move though.

Yup, that's the way to do it. Also makes good use of a currently unused main stand floor. 2 birds an' aw that. 👍

I’m personally happy sitting now but would welcome a standing area for those young ones who want to do so. Would enhance the atmosphere as well I’m sure

A_A wehatethehibs

Based on these percentage we could probably justify at least 1 section of it in the home end to start with if it’s not too costly to install. What’s that 800-900 seats? 

I wonder where they’d put it, most likely N or G, maybe both. 

But it would be interesting to see it somewhere else, maybe one of the Gorgie end corners. 

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

😮 you look much taller in your avatar…must be the hat 🤔

8 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Based on these percentage we could probably justify at least 1 section of it in the home end to start with if it’s not too costly to install. What’s that 800-900 seats? 

I wonder where they’d put it, most likely N or G, maybe both. 

But it would be interesting to see it somewhere else, maybe one of the Gorgie end corners. 

G so @Locky can fall down the safe standing section without taking out rows of seats and people when we score a goal

3 minutes ago, sadj said:

😮 you look much taller in your avatar…must be the hat 🤔

Got ma heels on. Need to wear flats to the football. 

Percival King

As what's being suggested is safe standing rather than a return to terracing then I'd be for that. Back in the day we'd get ourselves in a decent position in the School End with a decent view then five minutes into the game latecomers would come along and stand in front of us, a bit frustrating. Presumably with safe standing we'll all still have our position number as we currently have so our space will be guaranteed and as the steps in the stands are higher than they were previously then not seeing over the person would be less of an issue, but still an issue for some (couldn't sit a kid on the crush barrier like my dad did with me when I was 4 foot nothing.)

3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

If there was safe standing at Tynecastle would you always use it, sometimes use or always get a seat? This isn’t scientific but just to get a gut feeling for it. 

Dave the mibees aye, mibees naw has messed the poll up. Imo. :yadayada:

Edited by ri Alban

Bret the Hitman Hearts
3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

by the same logic you wouldn't be able to see over tall people sat in front of you as well though 🤔

As long as folk don't piss where they stand. Hampden especially was one big toilet back in the day. Manky *******s

3 minutes ago, Bret the Hitman Hearts said:

by the same logic you wouldn't be able to see over tall people sat in front of you as well though 🤔

He's 5 fit 4 fae the waist up. :)

Edited by ri Alban

2 minutes ago, Bret the Hitman Hearts said:

Not convinced. When the person in front and one to the left of me stands up and I stand up I can’t see properly. When we are both sat down I can see fine. 

Fort Vallance

If you had asked me a few years ago I'd have said standing all day long. However I'm older now and quite happy to sit. Also the space between people standing now compared to when we were rammed in together means the atmosphere wouldn't be like it was anyway. 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Not convinced. When the person in front and one to the left of me stands up and I stand up I can’t see properly. When we are both sat down I can see fine. 

Tell them to stop poking you in the eyes, when you all stand up.

Fort Vallance
Just now, Fort Vallance said:

If you had asked me a few years ago I'd have said standing all day long. However I'm older now and quite happy to sit. Also the space between people standing now compared to when we were rammed in together means the atmosphere wouldn't be like it was anyway. 

The one thing that might sway was the whole row not having to stand up 6 times a game for the twat a few seats along that can't sit still.