The 2nd day New Year bank holiday in Scotland

Nucky Thompson

Nucky Thompson

This bank holiday is a total waste of time and needs binned. It just drags everything out.

GP surgeries and other services still shut.

We would be better coming into line with the rest of the UK and swapping it for the late August bank holiday

16 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

This bank holiday is a total waste of time and needs binned. It just drags everything out.

We would be better coming into line with the rest of the UK and swapping it for the late August bank holiday

Ram it!

Should be extended not binned.

Scotland used to work on Christmas day up till the early 1950's and exchanged gifts at New Years.

Its a SCOTTISH holiday. Why do we need to follow that lot down south?

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

:lol:

It may get a few bites.

Well we're off today, something to do . :) And I'm in the mood to upset this place. I've a few ideas for the covid thread, which will have tears and snotters everywhere.  :1eye:

2 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Ram it!

Scotland used to work on Christmas day up till the early 1950's and exchanged gifts at New Years.

Overlords annat innit? 

Just now, ri Alban said:

Well we're off today, something to do . :) And I'm in the mood to upset this place. I've a few ideas for the covid thread, which will have tears and snotters everywhere.  :1eye:

Back today. I work for a company based in England :jj_facepalm:

The Real Maroonblood

Ram it!

My Dad was a slater and I remember he had to go to work on Xmas Day and got the first 3 working days off at new year.

My Dad was a slater and I remember he had to go to work on Xmas Day and got the first 3 working days off at new year.

Pwopa

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

👍

:yas: I'm an Slater anaw.

Back today. I work for a company based in England :jj_facepalm:

I think mines is anaw. Sites are aw shut up here. :cheers:

We need less holidays during the better weather and lighter nights in this country. All Holidays should be in January and February.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

:yas: I'm an Slater anaw.

👍

Don’t envy doing that job.

I always fancied  a cushy job like landscape gardening or similar.

👍

Don’t envy doing that job.

I always fancied  a cushy job like landscape gardening or similar.

I don't do maintenance work anymore. That's a young man's gaime. Site work or new roofs or feck all. I do very little slate work these days, it's all crap concrete tiles.

Nucky Thompson
15 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Nice fishing 

Why would I be fishing XB52? This isn't a criticism of Scotland.

I just think the bank holiday would be better in the summer months

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

👍

I always fancied  a cushy job like landscape gardening

What do you mean cushy :biggrin2:

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I don't do maintenance work anymore. That's a young man's gaime. Site work or new roofs or feck all. I do very little slate work these days, it's all crap concrete tiles.

Keep safe doing it.

My Dad had 2 falls which he survived.

Harry Potter
36 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

What holiday , i got saturday and sunday off, just the normal weekend the same at xmas, 

have to agree with your post though Nucky. 

Nucky Thompson

I'm one of those people that just want everything back to normal. Dragging NY out is shite IMO.

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

What do you mean cushy :biggrin2:

Working outdoors in the sunshine.😃Scotland 

Just kidding.

It is a grafting job.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm one of those people that just want everything back to normal. Dragging NY out is shite IMO.

Totally agree.

The Mrs had the decorations down last Wednesday.😀

Are more and more places not following the English bank holidays anyway due to their HQ being in England?

I preferred the 2nd off when I was younger but now I like the day off in the summer a lot more down here. Usually a BBQ and beers in the sun with good friends or family rather than hunkered down on the sofa watching more junk on tv dreading the return to work.

jambos are go!
18 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

We need less holidays during the better weather and lighter nights in this country. All Holidays should be in January and February.

And Scots should head for the Sun in winter for their main holiday and miss the worst of the weather. Been going to the Caribbean or Florida for years in February.

Edited by jambos are go!

Harry Potter
11 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Working right now, double time and a half. Luvvly jubbly.

Thats a miracle in this day and age, 

5 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Yer arse! :lol:

I've just got the hump because I'm back at work today.

The bit between Christmas and New Year is shite though. That should just be a normal work week IMO. It's boring.

If Hearts played yesterday then a holiday today may have been beneficial :)

20 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Keep safe doing it.

My Dad had 2 falls which he survived.

Join the gang. Glad he was ok, bud. 👍

11 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

And Scots should head for the Sun in winter for their main holiday and miss the worst of the weather. Been going to the Caribbean or Florida for years in February.

It's a dream, bud. One day 👍

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

I can work or no work any day I please  self-employed. Nae holiday pay tho.

That’s certainly the downside of being self-employed.

Nucky Thompson
20 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Yer arse! :lol:

I've just got the hump because I'm back at work today.

The bit between Christmas and New Year is shite though. That should just be a normal work week IMO. It's boring.

If Hearts played yesterday then a holiday today may have been beneficial :)

You've got a point about the football. I would have been lying on the couch nursing a hangover if it had been played

SectionDJambo
14 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I'm at work today.  I work in England for a Scottish company 🤔

I only get Christmas Day off, anything else is my own annual leave.

This is what some companies are doing now, particularly in retail. They add your bank holiday entitlement to your annual leave, except for Christmas Day, which being a religious festival they can't touch. This was the dispute that Asda workers had a few years ago. It's driven, in my opinion, by corporate greed and people not being able to survive not going out to shops for a day. The same people who don't want to work on those days themselves.

If you wanted Boxing Day or NYD off, can they refuse your request?

Dennis Reynolds

I've never had a job that gets bank holidays off. I just get the days added to my annual leave. Christmas Day, Boxing Day and the 1st are public Holidays we get off in my current job. Working today 😓

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

England get an extra day at Easter which makes up for Scotland taking the two days and New Year. Although most folk up here are now off on Good Friday I think it's still not an official holiday in Scotland. 

2 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

This is what some companies are doing now, particularly in retail. They add your bank holiday entitlement to your annual leave, except for Christmas Day, which being a religious festival they can't touch. This was the dispute that Asda workers had a few years ago. It's driven, in my opinion, by corporate greed and people not being able to survive not going out to shops for a day. The same people who don't want to work on those days themselves.

If you wanted Boxing Day or NYD off, can they refuse your request?

My work is for an English/US owned company and I get xmas day, boxing day and the 1st of Jan, all other bank holidays are added to my annual leave, it's up to me if I want to then use the days for bank holidays or not (unwritten rule is that leave requests for bank holidays are never denied), generally i'd rather work the bank holiday as it nearly always feels like a waste of a days leave and it'll generally be a really quiet day as the majority of the company are off (english based staff don't have the option of having the days added to their holidays, they just get the bank holidays)

I've had a lovely day down in North Berwick with the wife and the dog. Currently having a nice lunch after a walk on the beach. Nice and refreshed for my return to work tomorrow.

The Real Maroonblood
58 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I've had a lovely day down in North Berwick with the wife and the dog. Currently having a nice lunch after a walk on the beach. Nice and refreshed for my return to work tomorrow.

It’s always a nice place to visit.