Robbie Neilson

Leveins Battalion

5 minutes ago, Barack said:

Hadn't read this thread before now. Started on the last page, as that's usually the best indication of the previous pages' tone.

I was correct. 

Bang on

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• davemclaren

• Hmfc1965

• Pasquale for King

4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

The one that couldn’t beat a championship dwelling Hibs team over two games, one a money spinner, that started all this? 

Yip, the third best team in the country lost a cup tie to a championship team. That certainly didn’t help cement Robbie’s reputation that’s for sure. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

The Bob out crew (I’m one of them I wanted him sacked after the Brora defeat) never (didn’t) got (get) their way and since then he's gone from strength to strength. 

Their jkb, Facebook and street cred was damaged beyond repair. 

FTFY

Edited by Pasquale for King

15 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Nice try.  From your user name, I'm assuming you were born in 1986.   Consider yourself lucky that you missed the shambles of  most of the 1970s - one Cup exit at Brora last year with a 3rd rate goalie on the pitch doesn't come  close to the club's damaged reputation as a result of the 1970s.  It took years, but we recovered from it in the 80s.   In the space of 1 year since Brora we've won a trophy, got promoted and are comfortably 3rd with an improving quality of  squad.   

But hey - Budge/Robbie/Savage/FoH  oot.

Couldnt be further from the truth. I do remember the 70’s, or the yo-yo years, where the club oscillated between the premier league and first division, and had a terrible record v hubz. Agree it took years to recover in the 80’s under Doddie and Sandy Jardine. Definitely much worse time, but that doesn’t mean the Brora result hasn’t had an affect on our reputation.

Pasquale for King
Just now, davemclaren said:

Yip, the third best team in the country lost a cup tie to a chsmpionship team. That certainly didn’t help cement Robbie’s reputation that’s for sure. 

It was the beginning of the criticism of him, you could say his reputation has never recovered. If they hadn’t gone on to win it there might not have been such a fuss, well apart from folk like me who think we should’ve won the cup ourselves that year and know how bad his record against Hibs is. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, HMFC 86 said:

Couldnt be further from the truth. I do remember the 70’s, or the yo-yo years, where the club oscillated between the premier league and first division, and had a terrible record v hubz. Agree it took years to recover in the 80’s under Doddie and Sandy Jardine. Definitely much worse time, but that doesn’t mean the Brora result hasn’t had an affect on our reputation.

Spot on. 

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, Barack said:

Hadn't read this thread before now. Started on the last page, as that's usually the best indication of the previous pages' tone.

I was correct. 

For a page and a little bit it was a sea of sanity and perspective. Then someone with 98 posts started a post with the completely irrelevant "I don't see any mention on here of the Birkikara result at Tynecastle." and managed to end on the classic "Jury's out for me". This was a siren call for the usual suspects who all piled in gleefully. All downhill from there, going from some nice recognition of an excellent servant to the same guy being accused of apparently damaging the club's entire global reputation beyond repair forever and ever.

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, Barack said:

I was correct. 

Read the first few pages where folk tell us how good a player he was 😂

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

It was the beginning of the criticism of him, you could say his reputation has never recovered. If they hadn’t gone on to win it there might not have been such a fuss, well apart from folk like me who think we should’ve won the cup ourselves that year and know how bad his record against Hibs is. 

Surely us then beating Hibs in an even bigger cup tie, and very nearly winning the final, while in the Championship should even things up a tad? And no, Neilson did not win Hibs the cup.

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

We had a good chance in the cup that season given our strong league position. Cup wins ( for non old firm teams ) tend to need all the stars to align though. 

Lone Striker
3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Surely us then beating Hibs in an even bigger cup tie, and very nearly winning the final, while in the Championship should even things up a tad? And no, Neilson did not win Hibs the cup.

Probably best to leave the "one bad result and yer oot" brigade to enjoy life in their trapped time capsule.

Guest ToqueJambo

Read the first few pages where folk tell us how good a player he was 😂

He must have had something to see off an established internationalist in Maybury when he first broke through, then hold his place in a team where money was no object and the other FB was a guy who had won the Euros and the Portuguese title the season before. Very solid FB for us, not every RB needs to be Cafu.

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

We had a good chance in the cup that season given our strong league position. Cup wins ( for non old firm teams ) tend to need all the stars to align though. 

Definitely, and with our record of getting to the final in a year ending with a 6 I thought it was written in the stars. 

Definitely, and with our record of getting to the final in a year ending with a 6 I thought it was written in the stars. 

Also

1998 to 2006.  8 years

2006 to 2012.   6 years

2012 to 2016.   4 years

It was a mathematical sequence, in my head anyway.  🥸

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

He must have had something to see off an established internationalist in Maybury when he first broke through, then hold his place in a team where money was no object and the other FB was a guy who had won the Euros and the Portuguese title the season before. Very solid FB for us, not every RB needs to be Cafu.

Hahaha your memory still rubbish eh? He didn’t see off anyone, Levein could never pick a LB and played Maybury who was a better player there at LB, so his pet project could play. If Neilson  was better why did Levein take Maybury to Leicester? As for playing under Burley he wanted a better RB but got Ibrahim Tall instead, he was the worst player in the team and targeted by all teams, Donald Park said that. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Also

1998 to 2006.  8 years

2006 to 2012.   6 years

2012 to 2016.   4 years

It was a mathematical sequence, in my head anyway.  🥸

Definitely 👍🏽😆

Pasquale for King
16 minutes ago, Barack said:

I'm meh. But not enough to troll the shite out of the thread.

Other threads for that. ::troll::

I wasn’t going to join in but I didn’t like the pile on. 

10 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Yip, the third best team in the country lost a cup tie to a championship team. That certainly didn’t help cement Robbie’s reputation that’s for sure. 

Tbf he was a rookie coach at the time. Would he have the same approach again... I doubt it......

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You should know better.

A classic: http://beta.bbc.com/sport/0/football/18076998

Scottish Cup day of destiny awaits Hibs after long, long wait

By Chick Young BBC Scotland football pundit

Paulo Sergio and his steely gaze and impish sense of humour have steered Hearts in grand style through wage-less days, watching players leap for the lifeboats and yet the sanctuary of Europe still beckons. 

But he will be mugged by fate this summer Saturday. It is written in the stars.

Pasquale for King
17 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I didn’t say it hadn’t, or that he won them the cup. 

You think if he beats Brora this year that makes up for that? 
Two lucky wins in 12 games against them, they missed a penalty in both, is a poor record surely?

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

You should know better.

A classic: http://beta.bbc.com/sport/0/football/18076998

Scottish Cup day of destiny awaits Hibs after long, long wait

By Chick Young BBC Scotland football pundit

Paulo Sergio and his steely gaze and impish sense of humour have steered Hearts in grand style through wage-less days, watching players leap for the lifeboats and yet the sanctuary of Europe still beckons. 

But he will be mugged by fate this summer Saturday. It is written in the stars.

I should, but I’m still expecting big things in 2026 🤦🏽

Edited by Pasquale for King

Guest ToqueJambo
18 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Hahaha your memory still rubbish eh? He didn’t see off anyone, Levein could never pick a LB and played Maybury who was a better player there at LB, so his pet project could play. If Neilson  was better why did Levein take Maybury to Leicester? As for playing under Burley he wanted a better RB but got Ibrahim Tall instead, he was the worst player in the team and targeted by all teams, Donald Park said that. 

Blimey. Well done for bringing Levein in for a bonus dig too. Solid, no nonsense, reliable defence first FBs like Neilson have often been a feature of good Scottish and English football teams. Under Burley, maybe Neilson was what we needed at the back with so many attacking players in front of him? It certainly worked that season.

Tall didn't play until about 4 games before the end of the season 🤣 Were they targeting him on the bench? Played great in the final mind you - at CB. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
15 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Two lucky wins in 12 games against them, they missed a penalty in both, is a poor record surely?

12? Are you sure? 

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Blimey. Well done for bringing Levein in for a bonus dig too. Solid, no nonsense, reliable defence first FBs like Neilson have often been a feature of good Scottish and English football teams. Under Burley, maybe Neilson was what we needed at the back with so many attacking players in front of him? It certainly worked that season.

Tall didn't play until about 4 games before the end of the season 🤣 Were they targeting him on the bench? Played great in the final mind you - at CB. 

I was talking about Neilson being targeted, a well known tactic and teams could let him have the ball the same way they do now with Smith or Stevenson at Hibs. 
Tall was a CB that we didn’t need, a talented RB would’ve been better. 
Ever wonder why Miko&Chesney played better on the left with Takis behind them rather than Neilson 🤷🏾‍♂️🤔😜?

Pasquale for King
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

12? Are you sure? 

Yeah you’re right it’s ten, eight with us and two with United, two wins, three losses and four draws.
I said games v Hibs not derbies 👍🏽

Pasquale for King
42 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Probably best to leave the "one bad result and yer oot" brigade to enjoy life in their trapped time capsule.

You think he would survive a defeat against Talbot in the cup? 
Savage has said Neilson agreed a result like Brora can’t happen again.  

You think he would survive a defeat against Talbot in the cup? 
Savage has said Neilson agreed a result like Brora can’t happen again.  

For what it’s worth I believe RN would walk away if Talbot beat us. Which by the way isn’t beyond the realms of fantasy unfortunately.

Im more perturbed by a Hearts fan not born in 1986 , who says they remember the shit days of the 70s etc having 86 in their name. 🤯

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, goldie83 said:

For what it’s worth I believe RN would walk away if Talbot beat us. Which by the way isn’t beyond the realms of fantasy unfortunately.

Yeah I think it’s good that we have a league game before it to be honest, we’ve been pretty poor in the first game after winter breaks in the past. 

Yeah I think it’s good that we have a league game before it to be honest, we’ve been pretty poor in the first game after winter breaks in the past. 

I’d take a draw now if it was offered……….not sure if that’s me or the whisky talking!!😂

10 minutes ago, sadj said:

Im more perturbed by a Hearts fan not born in 1986 , who says they remember the shit days of the 70s etc having 86 in their name. 🤯

It’s his door number……..😏

Pasquale for King
22 minutes ago, goldie83 said:

I’d take a draw now if it was offered……….not sure if that’s me or the whisky talking!!😂

Hahahahaha, money spinning replay 😱😜

Do folk still get bothered by the Brora game?

I can honestly say I haven't thought about it since the few weeks after it happened.

1 hour ago, goldie83 said:

So do I.  Good thing imo.  He will have us going full throttle from the outset to avoid that.

6-1 Hearts.

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, sadj said:

6 hours ago, Homme said:

Do folk still get bothered by the Brora game?

I can honestly say I haven't thought about it since the few weeks after it happened.

The 3-3 celtic  game bothers me more. So close. 

2-3 v St Mirren  lc bothers me more, another massive opportunity missed. 

The numerous shite cup performances not so much. 

I

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, sadj said:

Yep. 

Subtlety isn't his thing. 

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

You can feel the excitement you get  when the opportunity to get digs in arise. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

I'll be disappointed if we lose to AT in the cup. 

I'll be astounded if we chuck away all the progress made this season on the back of a cup shock. 

8 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Levein must have seen something in him and tipped them off as he ended up at Leicester

A_A wehatethehibs
37 minutes ago, luckydug said:

I'll be disappointed if we lose to AT in the cup. 

I'll be astounded if we chuck away all the progress made this season on the back of a cup shock. 

I’ll be honest as a big supporter of Robbie my patience would be severely tested if he was to get knocked out a cup competition again by a minnow team. 

He must realise that’s his biggest game of this season by an absolute country mile. I certainly will not be expecting a reserve 11 that’s for sure 

Really doesn’t matter if we play absolutely shite just get the W in that game and get to the next round. He doesn’t have to win the cup, would be a dream but Europe in the first season back is terrific if we stay on course. But he cannot lose to another non league outfit  

i wish jj was my dad
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Levein must have seen something in him and tipped them off as he ended up at Leicester

Funny how Robbo, Burley, Csaba and Walter Smith all saw enough in him too. Nobody is saying he was a top player but he more than held his own in some really decent company. It takes Hibs like bitterness to refuse to acknowledge that.  

3 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

The 3-3 celtic  game bothers me more. So close. 

2-3 v St Mirren  lc bothers me more, another massive opportunity missed. 

The numerous shite cup performances not so much. 

I

Airdrie still gives me the fear .

Bazzas right boot
24 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Airdrie still gives me the fear .

Yip. 

The various cup exits to low league teams really doesn't touch the sides. 

It happens in world football all the time. 

As DM said tho, he used up a lot of credit with the Brora result and defeat v At is unthinkable. 

IMO sacking a manager  for a cup result wouldn't help us atm As we need league stability but the anger from some sections may me need to be satisfied with heads rolling but it wouldn't change or help anything other than make said folk feel better. 

You do get the feeling some on here are hoping we get beat of AT so they can have their fun and tell folk "I told ya so". 

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yip. 

The various cup exits to low league teams really doesn't touch the sides. 

It happens in world football all the time. 

As DM said tho, he used up a lot of credit with the Brora result and defeat v At is unthinkable. 

IMO sacking a manager  for a cup result wouldn't help us atm As we need league stability but the anger from some sections may me need to be satisfied with heads rolling but it wouldn't change or help anything other than make said folk feel better. 

You do get the feeling some on here are hoping we get beat of AT so they can have their fun and tell folk "I told ya so". 

Doesn't seem to get much credit for the Cup final, promotion and sitting pretty in 3rd. Some seem eager for us to get beat, which really is a punching offence.

Berra than you
2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I’ll be honest as a big supporter of Robbie my patience would be severely tested if he was to get knocked out a cup competition again by a minnow team. 

He must realise that’s his biggest game of this season by an absolute country mile. I certainly will not be expecting a reserve 11 that’s for sure 

Really doesn’t matter if we play absolutely shite just get the W in that game and get to the next round. He doesn’t have to win the cup, would be a dream but Europe in the first season back is terrific if we stay on course. But he cannot lose to another non league outfit  

Agree. Think it was on this is my story podcast that Savage said a repeat of Brora will not happen again. Of for arguments sake Talbot do beat us, the calls for Neilson to go will return.

Europe would be terrific, all the more reason for a strong cup performance. As if we do finish third and someone out with the top three wins the cup, no automatic group stages.

11 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I wasn’t going to join in but I didn’t like the pile on. 

I know. It's terrible all these Hearts fans piling on to praise a great servant of the club. We need more PHM to slag him off. 

1 hour ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Funny how Robbo, Burley, Csaba and Walter Smith all saw enough in him too. Nobody is saying he was a top player but he more than held his own in some really decent company. It takes Hibs like bitterness to refuse to acknowledge that.  

Total madness for some Hearts fans to be totally blind to facts. I just can't understand it but just thankful they are a tiny minority

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Doesn't seem to get much credit for the Cup final, promotion and sitting pretty in 3rd. Some seem eager for us to get beat, which really is a punching offence.

😂😂😂

Poetry. 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, XB52 said:

I know. It's terrible all these Hearts fans piling on to praise a great servant of the club. We need more PHM to slag him off. 

:jambobanana: