Cade

4 minutes ago, Thaw said:

Chelsea's Mendy is (I assume) by far the most successful African goalkeeper to date, so perhaps that historic weakness/stereotype is beginning to change.

It's true that if one were to make a select team from this year's squads, there'd be almost an embarrassment of riches to pick from in attack, but less so in other positions. It can make for some entertaining games though.

I fear this tournament, like many things now, will be disrupted a fair bit by Covid - I've seen a number of cases in squads and postponements of warm-up games reported already.

i would say andre onana would be the most successful african keeper so far. won a couple of dutch titles and europa league runners up with ajax. yes mendy has won the CL but apart from that he has i believe only a french second tier title. but it is close between them

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cade

• tian447

• Mikey1874

• HMFC01

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i would say andre onana would be the most successful african keeper so far. won a couple of dutch titles and europa league runners up with ajax. yes mendy has won the CL but apart from that he has i believe only a french second tier title. but it is close between them

I thought I'd heard of another one who was doing well at the moment, thanks for reminding me.

I think Mendy has the bigger reputation and would be rated by most as the better 'keeper of the two (even if their medals are comparable) but it was more a post about the improvement compared to previously.

43 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

27 minutes ago, Thaw said:

I thought I'd heard of another one who was doing well at the moment, thanks for reminding me.

I think Mendy has the bigger reputation and would be rated by most as the better 'keeper of the two (even if their medals are comparable) but it was more a post about the improvement compared to previously.

Honourable mention for Carlos Idriss Kameni, a Football Manager hero of mine.

Won AFCON with Cameroon and runners up of the Confederations Cup. Also won a Copa del Rey with Espanyol and was a UEFA Cup runner-up with them at Hampden.

Possible FIFA ban for Zimbabwe which would mean them being unable to compete in ACON. Rules indicate Zambia would take their place however there would be issues with player releases due to the deadline to announce squad having passed. It would potentially affect teams like rangers, Brighton and Leicester

Confederation of African Football states that teams with Covid outbreaks will either have to play the match if they have 11 players available (even if none of the fit players is a goalie) or will forfeit the match 2-0.

As it should be in every football competition, IMO.

Edited by Cade

August Landmesser
1 hour ago, Cade said:

Confederation of African Football states that teams with Covid outbreaks will either have to play the match if they have 11 players available (even if none of the fit players is a goalie) or will forfeit the match 2-0.

As it should be in every football competition, IMO.

Yep, that's what squads are for

Boyces beard

Thats the keeper who was done for doping and banned is it not? possibly his first game back and he was all over the place from both cross balls.

2 minutes ago, Boyces beard said:

Thats the keeper who was done for doping and banned is it not? possibly his first game back and he was all over the place from both cross balls.

i didnt realise he had a doping ban. 

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

i didnt realise he had a doping ban. 

The spoke about in the commentary. Apparently meant to take a painkiller and accidentally took pills his wife had for her pregnancy. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

The spoke about in the commentary. Apparently meant to take a painkiller and accidentally took pills his wife had for her pregnancy. 

yep read that, it does sort of make sense that what he said is true since the test he failed was i think his third in the space of a week and i think i saw that it was only that last one that was positive

Wipes the attacker out with a slide tackle in the box after the ball has gone, and then wonders why it's a penalty :lol:

This is absolutely awful football, and it's wonderful. 

3 minutes ago, Cade said:

Ethiopia/Cape Verdi.

10 mins in.

Ethiopia down to ten men for a last man challenge. 

:vrface:

Cape Verde have an Irish lad that plays for Shamrock Rovers in their team. He made a joke about being qualified to play for them in a press conference and they contacted him through LinkedIn and asked if he wanted to join up. His dad is from Cape Verde but he’d never visited and spoke no Portuguese. 

jambo-in-furness
Just now, Tazio said:

Sky Sport. 

Thanks, I dumped Sky and upped my FOH donation 6 years ago so, it’s a no go for me,  pity.

34 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Cape Verde have an Irish lad that plays for Shamrock Rovers in their team. He made a joke about being qualified to play for them in a press conference and they contacted him through LinkedIn and asked if he wanted to join up. His dad is from Cape Verde but he’d never visited and spoke no Portuguese. 

didnt he joke about it due to one of his teammates being called up for a small nation. 

37 minutes ago, Tazio said:

the boy from shamrock is the number 4 lopes

The White Cockade
5 hours ago, Tazio said:

He was out for 9 months 😱

portobellojambo1

Today's games are Senegal versus Zimbabwe, 13:00, choice of Guinea versus Malawi or Morocco versus Ghana, 16:00 and Comoros versus Gabon, 19:00. As most have said so far on the thread the standard of football in the opening two games left a lot to be desired, Morocco versus Ghana might be a bit better quality and presumably the tournament will get better once it reaches the knock out stage. If nothing else it is football on the box.

Abysmal.   The pitch doesn't look that bad.    Yet, some of the passes and shots are poor quality.   Make it look like it is on AstroTurf.   

Game needs some Mane magic. 

7 minutes ago, Cade said:

Pre-tournament favourites, this.

Allegedly.

ive only seen the last 5 minutes but it is reminding me of arsenals performace yesterday

Oh my ****ing word.   A penalty! 

:lolpoint:   

Goal, Mane from the spot.    Lucky fekkers. 

Edited by HMFC01