Cade

With Scottish Football paused for an early winter break and games all over the rest of the UK being postponed for a combination of Covid and weather events, we may have to fall back on getting our football fix from the African Cup of Nations (runs 9th Jan to 6th Feb).

Bonkers goalkeeping, garish strips, tackles that would make Bruce Lee proud, mostly empty stadiums, players going on strike over pay and a huge gulf in quality between the qualified teams will all be on show, as they are every single time this tournament comes around.

The standard of play might be pish but it's never not entertaining.

This will be a single-thread tournament. Not enough people give a shite to bother with more than one thread.

Host:

It's being hosted by a single nation, Cameroon, who have spent rather a bit of money on two brand new top-class stadiums specifically for this tournament.

Cameroon were supposed to host the tournament in 2019 but due to the stadiums not being ready, they were stripped of the tournament, which was moved to Egypt.

Cameroon have got the stadiums ready now, so they've been given it this year.

Ivory Coast, who were the original hosts of this year's tournament, have been pushed back to the next one.

This then displaced original hosts Guinea, who have been pushed back to the tournament after that.

Never a dull moment in African football(!)

Format:

6 groups of 4, playing each other once. Top 2 from each group automatically qualify, plus 4 of the best 3rd place teams.

Then a round of 16.
Then Quarter finals, Semis and a Final.

Simple.

Olembe stadium, Yaoude (the capital). Capacity 60,000.
Brand spanking new.

Hosting the Final, one Semi, one QF, one RO16 and 5 games from Group A (Cameroon's group). 9 games total.
IMG-20200416-WA0067.jpg0609-11854-olembe-sports-complex-current

Japoma Stadium, Douala (largest city and main port). Capacity 50,000.
Brand spanking new.
Hosting one Semi, two QFs, one RO16, 5 games from Group E and one from Group F. 10 games total.

Japoma-Stadium-to-host-CAF-champions-Lea

Stade Ahmadou Ahidjo, Yaounde (the capital). Capacity 42,500.
Built 1972.
Hosting the 3rd place play-off, one QF, one RO16, 5 games from Group C and one from Group B and one from Group D.  10 games total.
Stade-Ahmadou-Ahidjo.jpg

Roumdé Adjia Stadium, Garoua (Northern Region capital).
Capacity 30,000.
Built 1978.
Hosting one QF, one RO16, 5 games from Group D and one from Group C. 8 games total.
IMG-20211016-WA0064.jpg

Kouekong Stadium, Bafoussam (Western region capital).
Capacity 20,000.

Built 2015.
Hosting 2 RO16 games, 5 games from Group B and one from Group A. 8 games total.

Kouekong-Omnisports-Stadium-Bafoussam.jp

Limbe Stadium, Limbe (oil industry hub and tourist seaside city).

Capacity 20,000.

Built 2012.
Hosting 2 RO16 games, 5 games from Group F and one from Group E. 8 games total.

LIMBE_STADIUM_BY_MTTFA.jpg

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cade

• tian447

• Mikey1874

• HMFC01

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking forward to it. Always go with major tournaments and don’t believe it gets the respect it deserves. Was always amazed that a bigger deal wasn’t made out of the Scottish Premiership having an AFCON winner in its midst when Djoum won with Cameroon.

Some Scottish interest in Aribo and Balogun of Rangers. Aribo turning into a top player IMO after a very unassuming start in this country.

Might be my ignorance but in not sure if any other Scottish based players are there?

3 minutes ago, Homme said:

Some Scottish interest in Aribo and Balogun of Rangers. Aribo turning into a top player IMO after a very unassuming start in this country.

Might be my ignorance but in not sure if any other Scottish based players are there?

david moyo of hamilton in zimbabwe squad

fernandy mendy from alloa in guinea bissau squad

8 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

david moyo of hamilton in zimbabwe squad

fernandy mendy from alloa in guinea bissau squad

Thanks 👍

56 minutes ago, Homme said:

Just you watch the Glasgow media if Nigeria do anything half decent. Just watch. The same people who wouldn’t even shrug in acknowledgment that a Hearts player won the whole god damn tournament (playing in the final games) will be fawning over the “Scottish Premiership representation” at the games if Nigeria make it to the knock out rounds.

SKY has all 52 games on live.

BBC has 10 live games, including The Final, both Semis and two of the QFs.

As for tournament favourites, WilliamHill has the top 6 as Senegal, Algeria, Egypt, Ivory Coast, Cameroon and Nigeria.

Edited by Cade

41 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Just you watch the Glasgow media if Nigeria do anything half decent. Just watch. The same people who wouldn’t even shrug in acknowledgment that a Hearts player won the whole god damn tournament (playing in the final games) will be fawning over the “Scottish Premiership representation” at the games if Nigeria make it to the knock out rounds.

A quick Google sees all the main Scottish news outlet reporting Djoum won the AFCON. There are a few reports mid tournament too from the same outlets.

I hope Nigeria go deep as it'll weaken Rangers (if football returns when it should). 

You never know when Hearts might require some good Scottish Football PR when trying to sign an African based player. I'm glad our country is a place where these players can play their trade and be recognised.

38 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I always expect Algeria to win.

But it's a competitive tournament. 

Limited knowledge for myself I must admit but I'd go Algeria or Morocco.

Captain Lithuania

Is Faycal Rherras in the Morocco squad?

Probably not. :rofl: 

Former Jambo Rais M’Bolhi is in the Algeria squad. No Djoum in the Cameroon team. 

Edited by Captain Lithuania

AFCON is always a bit of a let down for me. Always excites me but the games tend to be ****ing sh*te. :lol:

In seriousness though, it always makes me quite sad that Africa is such an underachieving nation in football. Some really good teams, and top players in a vast continent that's as passionate for football as Europe or South America but for one reason or another never manages to really excel.

8 hours ago, Homme said:

A quick Google sees all the main Scottish news outlet reporting Djoum won the AFCON. There are a few reports mid tournament too from the same outlets.

I hope Nigeria go deep as it'll weaken Rangers (if football returns when it should). 

You never know when Hearts might require some good Scottish Football PR when trying to sign an African based player. I'm glad our country is a place where these players can play their trade and be recognised.

I was being somewhat tongue in cheek, of course sporting pages reported on sport, and there was mention of Djoum being part of it to fill column inches. My point is there wasn’t a big deal made. No front/back page splashes, minutes spent on phone in shows or ex-Hearts players being interviewed on Sky Sports News for reactions etc. I just have a feeling it’d be different if Nigeria do well this time.

30 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Only two teams get knocked out after the groups? 

Are Scotland playing? :gok:

It's the exact same format as the Euros with 8 teams knocked out after the groups.

having had a look at the squads with my limited knowledge of a lot of the players my tip would be senegal with mane being player of the tournament possibly even top scorer

2 hours ago, Hungry hippo said:

It's the exact same format as the Euros with 8 teams knocked out after the groups.

Classic Scotland 😂

Ian Wright in the press yesterday saying the lack of media interest in this tournament was due to a large degree of racism. Might be the case to an extent, but I usually find the ACoN to be utterly ridiculous at times, not helped by the fact its every two years and takes place during the season (which has a big impact on some teams). There can be some good games, and interesting talking points (remember the Cameroon all in one Puma strip, or sleeveless efforts that had FIFA in a pickle), but generally the standard is nowhere near the WC or Euros. 

Edited by Fraggle

40 minutes ago, Fraggle said:

Ian Wright in the press yesterday saying the lack of media interest in this tournament was due to a large degree of racism. Might be the case to an extent, but I usually find the ACoN to be utterly ridiculous at times, not helped by the fact its every two years and takes place during the season (which has a big impact on some teams). There can be some good games, and interesting talking points (remember the Cameroon all in one Puma strip, or sleeveless efforts that had FIFA in a pickle), but generally the standard is nowhere near the WC or Euros. 

With respect, that's a very Eurocentric view. If European teams sign African players, then they must know the ACoN will happen and what that may mean regards their availability.

6 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

nigerian fa have said watford were "baring fangs" with the withdrawal of dennis

Nigerian FA missed the deadline to request the player in question.

Watford just pointed that out to them.

The SFA are top level compared to some other football associations. 

In order of views and "importance" on the world stage:

World Cup (Everybody)

EUROs (Europe)

Copa America (South America)

ACON (Africa)

Asian Cup (Asia)

Gold Cup (North America)

Nations Cup (Oceania)

The last two are proper diddy competitions.

Asian Cup has gotten a bit better since FIFA let the Auzzies join.

African football never seems able to become properly good, despite many false dawns over the years.

A lack of money in the African game and rampant corruption seem to have held it back.

African nations produce some incredibly talented footballers, but the domestic game is a shambles. 

13 minutes ago, Cade said:

In order of views and "importance" on the world stage:

World Cup (Everybody)

EUROs (Europe)

Copa America (South America)

ACON (Africa)

Asian Cup (Asia)

Gold Cup (North America)

Nations Cup (Oceania)

The last two are proper diddy competitions.

Asian Cup has gotten a bit better since FIFA let the Auzzies join.

African football never seems able to become properly good, despite many false dawns over the years.

A lack of money in the African game and rampant corruption seem to have held it back.

African nations produce some incredibly talented footballers, but the domestic game is a shambles. 

Rampant corruption is an accusation that could be levelled at most of world football!

1 hour ago, Boris said:

With respect, that's a very Eurocentric view. If European teams sign African players, then they must know the ACoN will happen and what that may mean regards their availability.

Totally agree, on all points. You sign an African player at a certain level then you have to appreciate you will lose them for long periods over the 1/2 way section of the league.

But every two years is a bit of a stretch, think back a few months ago to the reaction from the big hitters of making the WC every two years, one of the main arguments was that it would devalue the tournament, and I think that is one of the primary issues with the ACoN. Not that folk are overtly racist, the tournament is looked down on from Europe as it is every two years, and the club v country argument arising from it as it happens during the main European Leagues season. That's before even getting into the level of football played, state of the pitches/stadia, the dubious officiating, etc. 

Granted, there's room for improvement in all those aspects as it gains popularity, but its a long way off the glitz and glamour of the WC and Euros. 

I used to enjoy watching it years ago, not so much now. 

Just now, Fraggle said:

Totally agree, on all points. You sign an African player at a certain level then you have to appreciate you will lose them for long periods over the 1/2 way section of the league.

But every two years is a bit of a stretch, think back a few months ago to the reaction from the big hitters of making the WC every two years, one of the main arguments was that it would devalue the tournament, and I think that is one of the primary issues with the ACoN. Not that folk are overtly racist, the tournament is looked down on from Europe as it is every two years, and the club v country argument arising from it as it happens during the main European Leagues season. That's before even getting into the level of football played, state of the pitches/stadia, the dubious officiating, etc. 

Granted, there's room for improvement in all those aspects as it gains popularity, but its a long way off the glitz and glamour of the WC and Euros. 

I used to enjoy watching it years ago, not so much now. 

If only there was some way of harmonising the various federations competitions. Taking into account time zones etc, no reason you couldn't get a rota drawn up, that assisted national leagues, but also highlighted these continental competitions, possibly guaranteeing global exposure, thus increasing interest, revenues etc.

If we accept the game is global, we need a global solution. 

2 hours ago, Boris said:

If only there was some way of harmonising the various federations competitions. Taking into account time zones etc, no reason you couldn't get a rota drawn up, that assisted national leagues, but also highlighted these continental competitions, possibly guaranteeing global exposure, thus increasing interest, revenues etc.

If we accept the game is global, we need a global solution. 

Once again, totally agree. Lots of different factors to try take into account, geographical, social, economical, etc. But absolutely no reason why these different federation competitions shouldn't generate the same levels of exposure throughout the world. The differences of each area should be the selling points to each as well, with the WC tying it all together. 

Do find it ironic that Wrighty is banging on about disrespecting other footballing competitions when he doesn't give a second thought to slighting Scottish football with the usual standard English derogatory comments. 

Edited by Fraggle

2 minutes ago, sadj said:

Agreed but why should we bother , a pathetic racist comment made days ago and its left there showing JKB in its best light. 😑

Sadly common place on here at mo on a few threads

I made a conscious decision at the time not to dignify it with a comment. On reflection I should probably have reported it. 

Just now, Tazio said:

I made a conscious decision at the time not to dignify it with a comment. On reflection I should probably have reported it. 

I know a few people who have reported it. The Japanese/Celtic threads the same. How people can post that kind of thing in this day and age is 😑

Anyway , that aside , the debate between Fraggle n Boris was very interesting. I think some very good points were raised there. In particular the lack of cohesion in these tournaments worldwide. 

fabienleclerq

Ian Wright is wide of the mark imo, it doesn't get the same respect because A) it isn't near the euros in terms of quality and B} is taking players away from teams who are paying them good money to win trophies and qualify for big money European competitions. 

If they want more respect they need to move the tournament to every four years and to the end a different one from the euros etc. Which I get is an arrogant eurocentric view but its the reality. 

World Cup every 4 years.

Euros every 4 years but offset 2 years from the World Cup.

Copa America used to be every 4 years until 1987 but then they changed it to every 3 years between 2001 and 2007.
Then they changed it back to 4 years again and are now synching it up with the Euros. (this is why the Copa happened in 2011, 2015, 2016, 2019 and 2021).
Next Copa will be 2024, same year as the next Euros.
I have no idea what they're trying to prove or achieve by running the Copa at the same time as the Euros.

It makes sense for football clubs and players, I suppose, but it does dilute the viewership, forcing fans to pick one or the other or to risk burn-out trying to watch 8+ games a day back to back to back.

Africa Cup of Nations is held every 2 years, on odd years.

No clashing with the World Cup or Euros or Copa this way.
They could synch it up by moving one year either way.

Asian Nation's Cup is held every 4 years, scheduled for the year after each World Cup.

No clashing with the WC, or Euros or Copa.
It clashes years with ACON, but ACON is always in January and the AFC Nation's Cup is always summer, so it's not really a clash.

North America Gold Cup is held every 2 years, on odd years.
No clashing with WC, Euros or Copa.
It clashes years with ACON, but ACON is always in January and the Gold Cup is always summer, so it's also not really a clash.

It does clash with the Asian Nation's Cup, as they always run in summer of the same year.

Time zones to the rescue, perhaps. You can watch both tournaments back to back with only some games clashing times as well as dates.

OFC Nation's Cup is every 4 years, on the same year as the Euros and Copa.
But then nobody even notices the OFC, so who cares if it clashes?

Australia got bored of beating diddy island teams by 30+ goals and fecked off to the Asian Cup.

NZ are sure to follow sooner or later.
Last tournament was 2016. 2020 didn't get moved for covid, they just straight up cancelled the whole thing.
No idea when the next one is happening, and nobody really cares.

Edited by Cade

4 hours ago, Cade said:

World Cup every 4 years.

Euros every 4 years but offset 2 years from the World Cup.

Copa America used to be every 4 years until 1987 but then they changed it to every 3 years between 2001 and 2007.
Then they changed it back to 4 years again and are now synching it up with the Euros. (this is why the Copa happened in 2011, 2015, 2016, 2019 and 2021).
Next Copa will be 2024, same year as the next Euros.
I have no idea what they're trying to prove or achieve by running the Copa at the same time as the Euros.

It makes sense for football clubs and players, I suppose, but it does dilute the viewership, forcing fans to pick one or the other or to risk burn-out trying to watch 8+ games a day back to back to back.

Africa Cup of Nations is held every 2 years, on odd years.

No clashing with the World Cup or Euros or Copa this way.
They could synch it up by moving one year either way.

Asian Nation's Cup is held every 4 years, scheduled for the year after each World Cup.

No clashing with the WC, or Euros or Copa.
It clashes years with ACON, but ACON is always in January and the AFC Nation's Cup is always summer, so it's not really a clash.

North America Gold Cup is held every 2 years, on odd years.
No clashing with WC, Euros or Copa.
It clashes years with ACON, but ACON is always in January and the Gold Cup is always summer, so it's also not really a clash.

It does clash with the Asian Nation's Cup, as they always run in summer of the same year.

Time zones to the rescue, perhaps. You can watch both tournaments back to back with only some games clashing times as well as dates.

OFC Nation's Cup is every 4 years, on the same year as the Euros and Copa.
But then nobody even notices the OFC, so who cares if it clashes?

Australia got bored of beating diddy island teams by 30+ goals and fecked off to the Asian Cup.

NZ are sure to follow sooner or later.
Last tournament was 2016. 2020 didn't get moved for covid, they just straight up cancelled the whole thing.
No idea when the next one is happening, and nobody really cares.

Copa America doesn't really clash with the Euro's due to the time zones as you mentioned. Although, the time difference puts me off actually watching it. I'm not a nighthawk.

The bit about the OFC Nation's Cup made me laugh. :lol: Sad, but you're totally right. Would be good if NZ did go to Asia to give the others a chance. No guaranteed WC berth even when it goes to 48 teams, but would love to see Pacific nations make it. Mind when Tahiti were in the Confederations Cup. That was barry.

Pasquale for King

Always wondered why FIFA didn’t ask them to play this every 4 years, but with money involved and their plan to play a WC every two years it would be slightly hypocritical to do that, not that it usually bothers them. 

The White Cockade

I remember when I lived in South Africa the talk of their team, Bafana Bafana, would be world beaters when they were readmitted to international football competition 

They turned out to be complete mince and seem to get worse as the years go by

7 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

I agree that African nations haven't really delivered their potential.

This was a close moment though.

20220103_170022.jpg

Great save that.

The previous two editions of AFCON (2017 & 2019) have taken place during the summer and I understood this was to be the norm in future, but this one has been moved for weather-related reasons. 

The Real Maroonblood
11 hours ago, Irufushi said:

The Scottish challenge cup of international football. Total dog shite. 

This.

Chelsea's Mendy is (I assume) by far the most successful African goalkeeper to date, so perhaps that historic weakness/stereotype is beginning to change.

It's true that if one were to make a select team from this year's squads, there'd be almost an embarrassment of riches to pick from in attack, but less so in other positions. It can make for some entertaining games though.

I fear this tournament, like many things now, will be disrupted a fair bit by Covid - I've seen a number of cases in squads and postponements of warm-up games reported already.