The new forum software and Linux

redjambo

Ever since the new forum software came in (and they so cruelly took away our newly earned badges ;) ), I've been getting a New Device Login email sent to me every time I log in from my Linux device using either Firefox or Chrome, despite it being the same device.

Is anyone else who runs Linux experiencing this?

Red

12 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I received an email saying I had logged in from a different device. Same phone as usual. Thought it a bit weird.

Just the once, ri?

9 hours ago, redjambo said:

Ever since the new forum software came in (and they so cruelly took away our newly earned badges ;) ), I've been getting a New Device Login email sent to me every time I log in from my Linux device using either Firefox or Chrome, despite it being the same device.

Is anyone else who runs Linux experiencing this?

Red

Getting it all the time , now bud.

I’m tempted to think most people haven’t had this issue as they never log out. So I’ve just tried logging out and back in again on my iPad and no email response to it. iPad running Safari as a browser. 

Just now, Tazio said:

I’m tempted to think most people haven’t had this issue as they never log out. So I’ve just tried logging out and back in again on my iPad and no email response to it. iPad running Safari as a browser. 

Thanks for the info, Tazio. I never log out either, but when I went to check my recent history on JKB, it showed that I was still logged in from every session I'd had for the previous few months (and that was only because it didn't display anything further back than that). So, it treats me as a new device every time without logging out the old one and thus leaves the session open (or so it says). Goodness knows how many sessions may still actually be open due to my logging in over the last few years if that is the case. Was I personally responsible for the slow opening of the Shed? ;)

I cleared my cookies on my IPad and had the same email informing me I had logged in on a new device.  I had a similar message from GOOGLE asking me to log in again.

11 hours ago, redjambo said:

@davemclaren

So I'm not alone.

Ri, what type of phone do you have and which browser do you use?

Yip, that’s two of you exhibiting the same issue that was previously masked. 

24 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Yip, that’s two of you exhibiting the same issue that was previously masked. 

No worries. You can wait till next year to sort it out. ;)

Happy New Year! :cheers:

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

3 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

so youre giving @davemclaren 1hr 35 mins off

He’s all heart. 🤣

15 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It seems to be due to clearing cookies daily or certain browser plugins from searching discussion forums. 

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

It seems to be due to clearing cookies daily or certain browser plugins from searching discussion forums. 

Cheers. I'll have a fiddle about with my settings/add-ons and see if I can see what's causing it, for me at least.

32 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Yup, I have Firefox set to clear all cookies at the end of the session, and that seems to be what's causing the issue. I'm happy with that setting though, so will just have to put up with those email messages, despite the issue not happening in the previous software iteration. Thanks for looking into this. 👍

14 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Yup, I have Firefox set to clear all cookies at the end of the session, and that seems to be what's causing the issue. I'm happy with that setting though, so will just have to put up with those email messages, despite the issue not happening in the previous software iteration. Thanks for looking into this. 👍

No problem. Have a good new year.