James Webb Space Telescope

JFK-1

Thanks - was reading how complicated the unfolding process is going to be once it's launched....but if all goes well will make the Hubble look like a telescope you buy from a shop around the corner....some potentially amazing discoveries ahead.

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

Untitled.jpg

Amazing video from the final stage rocket after separation, and seconds later we were able to see the solar panels on the JWST open up. I've been trying to place where on Earth the land at the bottom right is - possibly the Gulf of Oman ?  Or any number of large inlets around Russia, Greenland etc.   

We're so privileged to be alive to see all this, thanks to technology and super-intelligent engineers & scientists.

20 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Amazing video from the final stage rocket after separation, and seconds later we were able to see the solar panels on the JWST open up. I've been trying to place where on Earth the land at the bottom right is - possibly the Gulf of Oman ?  Or any number of large inlets around Russia, Greenland etc.   

We're so privileged to be alive to see all this, thanks to technology and super-intelligent engineers & scientists.

I think it's the Gulf of Aden. You can tell by the barren rocks. ;)

I heard some of it on the radio today.   Interesting.   Most powerful space telescope ever built.   👍.   Will have some fantastic new photies and new discoveries I can imagine. 

Launched from a tropical rain forest. 😲 

So excited to see what images this technological marvel will provide over the next decade or so.  This will really open our eyes.

Next step.. build a telescope and get it a few million miles away from Earth. Remove all the background nonsense from it. 

Edited by Bigsmak

JWST is stationing at the L2 Lagrange point, 1.5million km from Earth.

It'll take 6 weeks to get out there, deploy all the parts and configure everything ready to go.

One of the 4 main instruments on the JWST was made in collaboration between NASA and a European consortium headed by Gillian Wright, of the UK Astronomy Technology Centre, based at the Royal Observatory in Edinburgh.

16 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

See 'humanity's last view' of the James Webb Space Telescope post-deployment

On 25/12/2021 at 18:02, Bigsmak said:

So excited to see what images this technological marvel will provide over the next decade or so.

First photos coming in now....

Screenshot_20211227-235853~2.png

I should have put this link here, a NASA site tracking the telescopes journey while showing live stats like speed plus distance. Has a lot of media, videos etc. describing each step of the process.

WHERE IS WEBB

36 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I should have put this link here, a NASA site tracking the telescopes journey while showing live stats like speed plus distance. Has a lot of media, videos etc. describing each step of the process.

WHERE IS WEBB

Thanks, JFK. Just over half way there.

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

Thanks, JFK. Just over half way there.

yesterday it was travelling at 1,699mph, today it's 1,532mph

Today it's down to 1,415mph. Going to be a slow crawl by the time it gets there. Should be easy to stop and put in position with little fuel burns.

Footballfirst
7 hours ago, Cade said:

Last I heard, the sunshield has deployed ok, but they're taking a wee break to tweak other things before tensioning it.

Progressing once again.

9 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Meanwhile the telescope has now covered 60% of the distance to L2, although its speed is decreasing day by day.

Looks like it's ultimately going to sort of trundle to the spot in the final few days. I saw it described as say you have a finely balanced well engineered skateboard.

The skateboard doesn't even have standard wheels, it's base is covered in precisely engineered ball bearings. Something very easy to move with a push. You place your skateboard on an incline at the top of which there is a flat platform area.

Then you give it precisely enough of a push to make it up that incline and stop on the flat area. Albeit they have some fuel to give it a nudge if need be. But I expect the very last thing you would want is for it to trundle even slightly past the parking spot.

Sunshield was by far the most delicate and important part of the telescope, it's great that the whole thing extended fine and at least one layer is properly tensioned.

Now "all we have to do" is tension the other 4 layers, arrive on station, deploy and align the main dish, cool everything down to operating temperatures, configure it and test it.

Still plenty of chances for things to go wrong but so far so good.

Footballfirst
34 minutes ago, Cade said:

Sunshield was by far the most delicate and important part of the telescope, it's great that the whole thing extended fine and at least one layer is properly tensioned.

Now "all we have to do" is tension the other 4 layers, arrive on station, deploy and align the main dish, cool everything down to operating temperatures, configure it and test it.

Still plenty of chances for things to go wrong but so far so good.

Layers 2 and 3 were also completed last night.

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

Another major step completed. Go Webb.

Still another five months after it reaches L2 before the "science" starts.

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Still another five months after it reaches L2 before the "science" starts.

I haven't been able to find great detail on exactly why we need to wait so long. Does it take that long to cool down to the required temperature? Does it take that long to align all 18 mirror segments? Things like that.

On 31/12/2021 at 21:20, JFK-1 said:

WHERE IS WEBB

Great link.  Thanks.  :thumb:

59 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Great link.  Thanks.  :thumb:

The sunshield structure is currently showing an average temperature of 128 Fahrenheit. Toasty. The bus carrying the whole shooting match 53 Fahrenheit.

Then on the mirror side they're registering -233 Fahrenheit on the main mirror, and -323 Fahrenheit on the instrument radiator. Talk about extremes within what? A few feet of each other?

Footballfirst
8 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I haven't been able to find great detail on exactly why we need to wait so long. Does it take that long to cool down to the required temperature? Does it take that long to align all 18 mirror segments? Things like that.

I watched the video feed of the tensioning yesterday and they were asked that question. As you suggest, much of the time will be required to cool the telescope down to its optimum operating temperature and to calibrate the instruments.  Still seems excessive though. 

14 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I watched the video feed of the tensioning yesterday and they were asked that question. As you suggest, much of the time will be required to cool the telescope down to its optimum operating temperature and to calibrate the instruments.  Still seems excessive though. 

After gambling 10 billion on it I suppose I might want to take my time too.

Footballfirst

The mirrors have now all been deployed. Next stage is to optimise the focus of all 18 mirrors using actuators to finely adjust each mirror segment in relation to the rest. That will take several days before the final burn and deployment to L2 in around 2 weeks time.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2017/aligning-the-primary-mirror-segments-of-nasa-s-james-webb-space-telescope-with-light