Souttar signs pre-contract with Rangers (Super Thread)

Bazzas right boot

HeartsandonlyHearts
6 minutes ago, wallace_mercer said:

who knows these days 😂😂😂

“We’ve excepted a bid from Barnsley. Enjoy”

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Factuer Moi

• Bazzas right boot

Just started to subscribe to Sky TV  Sports a couple of months ago and have to say I'm astonished that the English Championship is the fifth richest league in the world. 

Some of the matches are dreadful in quality and Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen would enhance that league. Hearts would easily be a top six team in that league. 

All that money they get and three quarters of the league are dross. 

25 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Just started to subscribe to Sky TV  Sports a couple of months ago and have to say I'm astonished that the English Championship is the fifth richest league in the world. 

Some of the matches are dreadful in quality and Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen would enhance that league. Hearts would easily be a top six team in that league. 

Good old Sky TV Sports 🥸

HeartsandonlyHearts
22 minutes ago, brux said:

Where did you get this from?

I didn’t. I was answering another post about Souttar having at least a say in where he ends up. 

1 hour ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

To be pedantic    accepted.   If he goes there I'll  eat my st

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, OTT said:

Little bit irked if true that we’ve left our best offer so late. I hope that offer had been with him since then end of last season because waiting so late when we know fine well shitty little clubs down south can blow us out the water financially would be crass stupidity/ painfully naive. 

I've been reading Robbos book ( and Weirs a while ago) not much has changed apart from the power shift of the  contract. 

Both club and player have a multidude of considerations when negotiating a contract and it's a game of cat and mouse. 

The players aren't fans. 

Fans struggle to realise that imo. 

29 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I've been reading Robbos book ( and Weirs a while ago) not much has changed apart from the power shift of the  contract. 

Both club and player have a multidude of considerations when negotiating a contract and it's a game of cat and mouse. 

The players aren't fans. 

They do, and it's no wonder players want to make as much as they can.

thecarnbeejambo

would have been a nice gesture if he had signed a contract with a buy out clause. it would have been a win win situation for him... if  there was interest he would move for a more lucrative contract and we would (for once )get a decent fee for a player.

if there was no interest then we would keep an important player who would be on better personal terms.. however it does appear that he is going to ignore the fact we kept faith with him during his long lay off..who knows.. maybe we will wake up to find he has thought about the club and put pen to paper..here's hoping... HHGH

Fozzyonthefence
4 hours ago, luckydug said:

Not a chance that Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen would be top 6 in the Championship with their current squads.  However, with access to the tv money down there all 3 would of course be able to afford better players.  There’s bigger clubs than us, however, struggling in League 1 down there like Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday, so it wouldn’t be as easy as you think. 

Watt-Zeefuik
5 hours ago, luckydug said:

This. It doesn’t even matter that some of the players are quality. The way to survive and rise in that league is anti-football tactics of nipping and clogging. Absolutely dire to watch.

5 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Not a chance that Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen would be top 6 in the Championship with their current squads.  However, with access to the tv money down there all 3 would of course be able to afford better players.  There’s bigger clubs than us, however, struggling in League 1 down there like Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday, so it wouldn’t be as easy as you think. 

Teams like Luton town, Bournemouth and Balckpool are smashing the championship. These are teams with half the stadium capacity of hearts and about a quarter of the fan base. No one's saying that we could compete with our current team and on our budget, but if you were to drop the likes of Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibs in to the championship, with the  money that it brings, I don't doubt we'd be top 6 most seasons.

9 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

The players aren't fans. 

If it wasn't for the fans the players wouldn't have a job. 

The players need to respect that also. 

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, luckydug said:

If it wasn't for the fans the players wouldn't have a job. 

The players need to respect that also. 

I think most do. 

Loyalty to a club is almost non existent tho, most players want to earn as much as quick as they can. 

It's a job for them. 

Likely a move to the Championship but I wonder if there is any interest from abroad? A move similar to Hickey's wouldn't do the boy any harm.

Fozzyonthefence
5 hours ago, jambo89 said:

Teams like Luton town, Bournemouth and Balckpool are smashing the championship. These are teams with half the stadium capacity of hearts and about a quarter of the fan base. No one's saying that we could compete with our current team and on our budget, but if you were to drop the likes of Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibs in to the championship, with the  money that it brings, I don't doubt we'd be top 6 most seasons.

How come huge clubs like Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday can’t manage it then?  And previously the likes of Man City and Leeds and several other former Premiership teams that have got relegated and really struggled despite the parachute payments they get. 

You make it sound way easier than it is in reality.  Bournemouth, for example, are a small club in an artificial position due to rich owners.  

It’s a bit like say Rangers and Celtic would challenge for Champions League places every year just because they can get 50k / 60k every week.  Football doesn’t work like that. Ask Newcastle. 

Tynecastle Valhalla
16 hours ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

If the money was right and they were doing well in the league then why not ?

Manchester and Leeds are decent cities to live in.

14 hours ago, thecarnbeejambo said:

would have been a nice gesture if he had signed a contract with a buy out clause. it would have been a win win situation for him... if  there was interest he would move for a more lucrative contract and we would (for once )get a decent fee for a player.

if there was no interest then we would keep an important player who would be on better personal terms.. however it does appear that he is going to ignore the fact we kept faith with him during his long lay off..who knows.. maybe we will wake up to find he has thought about the club and put pen to paper..here's hoping... HHGH

How many times ?

He had a contract which , of course , we had to honour . He was injured whilst playing for us . Also Scotland for which we would have been compensated

Signing an extension would quite possibly (almost certainly?) cost him a lot of money 

1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

How come huge clubs like Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday can’t manage it then?  And previously the likes of Man City and Leeds and several other former Premiership teams that have got relegated and really struggled despite the parachute payments they get. 

You make it sound way easier than it is in reality.  Bournemouth, for example, are a small club in an artificial position due to rich owners.  

It’s a bit like say Rangers and Celtic would challenge for Champions League places every year just because they can get 50k / 60k every week.  Football doesn’t work like that. Ask Newcastle. 

Bournemouth is a bigger town/city than Aberdeen so would probably fill a larger stadium definitely, if they were to return to the EPL.

Championship has a varying standard of clubs just like Scottish Premiership pretty much all of them pay higher wages than us some by a considerable margin due to TV money ,  parachute payments and by gambling on promotion with borrowed money. The latter approach has failed spectacularly for Pompey  , Bolton, Sheffield Wednesday  and Wigan in the past 10 years or so.

1 hour ago, troy said:

If soapy is going I wish he would just go instead of all this will he won’t he 

Doesn’t work like that.

21 hours ago, luckydug said:

I really wish the SPFL would grow a pair and take broadcasting in house. Do a proper rebrand and make it a more appetising product that isn't cynically meant to look like the EPL - take pride in where we're different. With streaming now the norm, there is a real opportunity to take 100% of the content online and progress as a subscription based platform. 

It might motivate more folk to dump Sky, they've done jackshit for Scottish football for two decades. Our deals now are somehow worse than back then!

Doing that properly would give SPL sides access to a much more serious pot of cash! and we'd actually be able to retain talent. 

Its a vastly overhyped league, Uche succeeding there speaks volumes. Bang average league and probably more representative of English football than the inflated behemoth above them. 

4 minutes ago, troy said:

I know I just fed up with it and suspect a lot of fans are aswell 

Everything always seems to last longer when you’re following it on JKB. 

22 hours ago, luckydug said:

With their current squads none of these teams would be anywhere near the top six, that's why they earn SPFL wages. Drop another division and we might get top 6. If we had the money of these clubs, who knows. The twelve average crowds (looking at pre-covid)  in the Championship all exceed Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen. Media companies are not going to invest ehavily in Scottish football, can;t see the returns being worth the investment, if it was it would happen. 

55 minutes ago, troy said:

I know I just fed up with it and suspect a lot of fans are aswell 

Agreed.

Another thought though to keep you positive.

We are about to lose a quality player and someone will get a bargain because he plays for Hearts in Scotland and his contract situation is what it is.

That means there are players out there of his quality playing for teams just like Hearts in leagues on par with ours.

We now have a recruitment team capable of not only finding these players but able to bring them to Hearts.

So we are more than capable of replacing John Soutar like for like or even better because there will be other John Soutars out there who like us fans don’t want to see go but the opportunity is there for us to take advantage.

All about being clever in the market.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
5 hours ago, OTT said:

I really wish the SPFL would grow a pair and take broadcasting in house. Do a proper rebrand and make it a more appetising product that isn't cynically meant to look like the EPL - take pride in where we're different. With streaming now the norm, there is a real opportunity to take 100% of the content online and progress as a subscription based platform. 

It might motivate more folk to dump Sky, they've done jackshit for Scottish football for two decades. Our deals now are somehow worse than back then!

Doing that properly would give SPL sides access to a much more serious pot of cash! and we'd actually be able to retain talent. 

Its a vastly overhyped league, Uche succeeding there speaks volumes. Bang average league and probably more representative of English football than the inflated behemoth above them. 

Not their choice. The clubs would have to vote for it and they voted against SPL TV years ago. Now other leagues have done it hugely successfully and we have missed out on the up curve.

https://www.teamtalk.com/stoke-city/exclusive-rangers-sheff-utd-keen-wage-demands-force-potters-ditch-centre-back-move

Stoke City have backed away from the deal to sign Scotland defender John Souttar due to wage and agent demands, leaving other clubs to make their moves, TEAMtalk understands.

The Potters had emerged as favourites to land the highly-rated 25-year-old and held talks with the player, who is out-of-contract with Hearts at the end of the current Scottish Premiership campaign.

Stoke had made the move for Souttar after his brother Harry was ruled out with a long-term knee injury, and they were confident of landing him this month.

Potters chief Michael O’Neill believed Souttar would be an ideal addition. However, they have now decided to walk away after a change in wage demands in recent days. Stoke have therefore decided to move onto other targets.

It is believed the interest of rival clubs has seen Souttar and his representatives able to demand a higher price.

Scottish champions Rangers are keen. However, with Stoke backing away from talks – we understand that Sheffield United are in pole position.

We understand the Blades want to strike a pre-contract agreement and then look to agree a deal with Hearts to sign the player this month.

Edited by HMFC01

On 01/01/2022 at 20:17, luckydug said:

Been to a fair few live matches over the years in that league. The standard of football is awful. The league is stock full of over paid has beens and never will be’s with the odd gem who lasts about 5 minutes before the Prem pick him up.

Chuck similar money at Hearts and we’d get promoted fairly swiftly once the money filters through to the squad. The squad right now as it is would be mid to upper table in the shout for a play off IMO.

53 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Been to a fair few live matches over the years in that league. The standard of football is awful. The league is stock full of over paid has beens and never will be’s with the odd gem who lasts about 5 minutes before the Prem pick him up.

Chuck similar money at Hearts and we’d get promoted fairly swiftly once the money filters through to the squad. The squad right now as it is would be mid to upper table in the shout for a play off IMO.

Aye!  But Robbie oot though👍😉

On 01/01/2022 at 21:53, Smith's right boot said:

The players aren't fans. 

Jim Mclean's contract was one page.......👍

On 01/01/2022 at 20:13, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

So he'll sign for anyone apart from Barnsley. :)

Mate of mine over here (current bun), was messaging me earlier telling me that Soapy had signed for Rangers. "Done deal mate" was the message he sent. 

His source? That bastion of impartial arsecheek news - Clyde1...

I offered him a $100 charity bet that Soapy goes down the A701, hangs a left onto the M74 then onto the M6 for a few miles rather than go along the M8, he's still not replied to me yet. :D

On 01/01/2022 at 20:17, luckydug said:

All fair and well that. However we wouldn't have the opportunity to compete against teams in European competitions. I think English football is dross at the best of times. 

Very over hyped 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Restonbabe said:

All fair and well that. However we wouldn't have the opportunity to compete against teams in European competitions. I think English football is dross at the best of times. 

Very over hyped 

Last sentence is so true. 

However, there is money down there and players will follow that. 

Pisses me off that Luton are more attractive than Hearts ( or Aberdeen or hibs) because of the sky money. 

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, HMFC01 said:

https://www.teamtalk.com/stoke-city/exclusive-rangers-sheff-utd-keen-wage-demands-force-potters-ditch-centre-back-move

Stoke City have backed away from the deal to sign Scotland defender John Souttar due to wage and agent demands, leaving other clubs to make their moves, TEAMtalk understands.

The Potters had emerged as favourites to land the highly-rated 25-year-old and held talks with the player, who is out-of-contract with Hearts at the end of the current Scottish Premiership campaign.

Stoke had made the move for Souttar after his brother Harry was ruled out with a long-term knee injury, and they were confident of landing him this month.

Potters chief Michael O’Neill believed Souttar would be an ideal addition. However, they have now decided to walk away after a change in wage demands in recent days. Stoke have therefore decided to move onto other targets.

It is believed the interest of rival clubs has seen Souttar and his representatives able to demand a higher price.

Scottish champions Rangers are keen. However, with Stoke backing away from talks – we understand that Sheffield United are in pole position.

We understand the Blades want to strike a pre-contract agreement and then look to agree a deal with Hearts to sign the player this month.

Folk on here think he's moving for football reasons as well! 

Highest bidder, money is all he's interested in. 

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Let’s be honest- we’d all be doing the same. He’s come back from 2 potential career ending injuries so knows this could be his last sizeable contract. You could easily be talking an extra £10k a week - would you ignore that? 

Fxxx the SPFL
13 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

He better be careful he might price himself out of any move south even although they have buckets of dosh and then have to grovel to one of the arse cheeks his agent could cost him 

A_A wehatethehibs
13 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

7 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

Let’s be honest- we’d all be doing the same. He’s come back from 2 potential career ending injuries so knows this could be his last sizeable contract. You could easily be talking an extra £10k a week - would you ignore that? 

If he moves to the OF it’s just money, but if he goes South it’s both the money and he’s taking on a big footballing challenge as well to test himself at a higher level, which is a lot more respectable.

If you compare John Mcginn / Andy Robertson type players, they command 100x more footballing respect than the likes of scott brown or lee Wallace who made the pathetic move west for solely cash and had rubbish careers. 

On 02/01/2022 at 13:13, EIEIO said:

Bournemouth is a bigger town/city than Aberdeen so would probably fill a larger stadium definitely, if they were to return to the EPL.

Championship has a varying standard of clubs just like Scottish Premiership pretty much all of them pay higher wages than us some by a considerable margin due to TV money ,  parachute payments and by gambling on promotion with borrowed money. The latter approach has failed spectacularly for Pompey  , Bolton, Sheffield Wednesday  and Wigan in the past 10 years or so.

Bournemouth population according to a 2011 census was 183,491. Aberdeen is up at 229,060, I think you maybe looked at the census data for the entire region of south east Dorset, which is roughly 500,000, similar to that of Grampian region which Aberdeen is a part of.

crunchy frog
19 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

If he moves to the OF it’s just money, but if he goes South it’s both the money and he’s taking on a big footballing challenge as well to test himself at a higher level, which is a lot more respectable.

If you compare John Mcginn / Andy Robertson type players, they command 100x more footballing respect than the likes of scott brown or lee Wallace who made the pathetic move west for solely cash and had rubbish careers. 

This is where I'm at. 

57 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Don't think there's any way of proving that

A_A wehatethehibs
49 minutes ago, crunchy frog said:

This is where I'm at. 

Although to be fair to Shotgun the career seems to be on the up finally at 34. Got a champ player of the month earlier this year, should’ve been 10 years ago. Think Hearts probably did push him to gers for the cash at the time tho bit like temps 

On 01/01/2022 at 22:44, thecarnbeejambo said:

I was thinking this last night. Did Paterson not do something to make sure we got cash?

if he goes to Rangers he’s dead to me

buzzbomb1958
41 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

I was thinking this last night. Did Paterson not do something to make sure we got cash?

if he goes to Rangers he’s dead to me

I don’t really care where he ends up as long as we get something from the deal , there is no loyalty in football it’s about earning as much as you can as quick as you can . I don’t blame the laddie as his agent will be the one pulling the strings anyway, I’m not really sure he is as good as we think he is , injury prone , has to be pulled out the shite just about every game by  those around him . Any team getting him are taking a huge gamble on many fronts and he could end up on the treatment table or even worse the next bad tackle could be a career ender .I would hate jambos to keep him now his head is not at Tynecastle and we should concentrate on players who want to play for the jersey

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, jambocub said:

Don't think there's any way of proving that

Aye, just like you can't prove the earth is round. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Disagree. 

The decision to go with the likes of Sheffield Utd over rangers  is money. 

The championship or bouncing about relegation from the epl is not a higher lever than winning trophies and competiting in Europe. 

Money, money money. 

With Souttar, he might fancy a change as well tho, he has been In Scotland a long time. 

Some Players may fancy a change from playing the same sides 4x a season every year. That must be dull Tbh. 

Just like Campbell and the striker we were after  chose Luton over us. Money, nothing else. 

No way Luton over Hearts is a footballing decision. 

Applying your logic across Europe, bouncing about the bottom of the epl is better than wining trophies in Holland, Portugal, Belgium etc. 

Is it ****, money is the difference and sky makes that possible 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

He better be careful he might price himself out of any move south even although they have buckets of dosh and then have to grovel to one of the arse cheeks his agent could cost him 

Fair doos, playing clubs of against each other for the most money, many would do the same. 

Clearly about money tho, fair doos to him. 

Hopefully he goes down south for a semi decent fee. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Baxfee said:

No, and fair doos to him. 

For some reason some on Here are  dressing up a move to Stoke, Blackburn, Sheffield and the likes as some great football move. 

Same as when Luton got one over us, **** all to do with football and everything about money - and fair enough. 

Sky over 3 generations has done a number on the kids, any move to a tin pot English outfit is seen as a great move because they might get a chance to play in the epl. 

Shite-money, money, money. 

A_A wehatethehibs
10 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Disagree. 

The decision to go with the likes of Sheffield Utd over rangers  is money. 

The championship or bouncing about relegation from the epl is not a higher lever than winning trophies and competiting in Europe. 

Money, money money. 

With Souttar, he might fancy a change as well tho, he has been In Scotland a long time. 

Some Players may fancy a change from playing the same sides 4x a season every year. That must be dull Tbh. 

Just like Campbell and the striker we were after  chose Luton over us. Money, nothing else. 

No way Luton over Hearts is a footballing decision. 

Applying your logic across Europe, bouncing about the bottom of the epl is better than wining trophies in Holland, Portugal, Belgium etc. 

Is it ****, money is the difference and sky makes that possible 

A tier 2 competition in a tier 1 nation is above all competitions in a tier 3 nation by far in terms of the professional footballing standard of games week in week out. Why do you think 95% of Scotland’s national squad play in England? Compare the lads that play in England with the one SPL player who gets a game Stephen O Donnell. The gulf in class between him and a guy like Andy Robertson is absolutely colossal.

Yep, being bottom of the EPL is substantially above these smaller tier 2 nations in terms of the standard of football games and overall standard of player.

As for Luton, they are in the championship, so it’s about the upward mobility to shop window yourself. Campbell could’ve picked there or Hearts, he’s already been there done that with the SPL though played 150+ games, what developmental benefit would he get from playing another 50-100 games with Hearts? None. Hed already proved himself at this level moving up to the championship to a team where he’d hope to play games was a perfectly fair move. 

Also Scottish clubs don’t “compete” in Europe they just make up the numbers and usually in the tier 2 competitions Europa and below. And neither generally do teams in tier 2 nations either other than an occasional run for a Porto or and Ajax 

The reason every single European competition is won by teams from Tier 1 nations is because their league standard of games is higher because there’s better football players in those leagues 

• davemclaren changed the title to Souttar signs pre-contract with Rangers (Super Thread)