Souttar signs pre-contract with Rangers (Super Thread)

Bazzas right boot

Guest ToqueJambo

Andy Webster played for us again after IMO leaving in a worse way than Soapy will if he signs a pre contract with Rangers but stays for the season. A few might give him some stick initially to let him know he needs to keep his standards up and just vent a bit but surely no-one will care if he and more importantly the team keeps going the way it is?

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Factuer Moi

• Bazzas right boot

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Andy Webster played for us again after IMO leaving in a worse way than Soapy will if he signs a pre contract with Rangers but stays for the season. A few might give him some stick initially to let him know he needs to keep his standards up and just vent a bit but surely no-one will care if he and more importantly the team keeps going the way it is?

And what happens when we play Rangers? He can sign a pre contract with anyone outside Scotland and fair enough but either of the old firm and he’s done for me it’s a kick in the baws for every one of us who stood by him.

Don't mind players wanting to further themselves at other clubs. 

Moving to rangers or Celtic, however, when you could move to a decent club in England, shows a lack of ambition.

Edited by Hearts_fan

28 minutes ago, tian447 said:

What about when we sign players?  If that is alright, then it's a bit hypocritical, isn't it?

Players come and players go.  It will happen every single transfer window, to every single club.  It's up to us as a club to try and make it work in our favour and continually improve the squad when we do lose players.

No player is bigger than the club, and no player leaving will ever make me consider chucking it.  

Just to add to your point about "the decency to fulfil their contract" - Souttar is still a Hearts player, and still is fulfilling his contract.  He hasn't left, and he is still a vital part of our squad until he does go.  What exactly is he meant to do when there is interest from someone else?

I notice you don't mention who he is being linked with. 🤔

He may be available to play but we have effectively lost him for the rest of the season. 

Consciously or Unconsciously he will have the dread of injury at the back of his mind. 

No matter what you may think there will be a substantial amount of fans ready to jeer. The situation is not healthy for the team he needs to move now or sit in the house until his contract is up. 

I've been getting fed up with football in general due to the gravy train that the sport has become. 

25 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

And what happens when we play Rangers? He can sign a pre contract with anyone outside Scotland and fair enough but either of the old firm and he’s done for me it’s a kick in the baws for every one of us who stood by him.

Pretty much where I am.

4 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

Moving to rangers or Celtic, however, when you could move to a decent club in England, shows a lack of ambition.

I really don’t see how moving to Rangers lacks ambition. He’ll be moving to one of the biggest clubs in the UK and have a great opportunity to win medals and play in the CL. He will also improve his chances of winning more Scotland caps too. I’m guessing when most players start out they’d have some of those things on their list of ambitions. His ultimate goal will be the EPL……so his next move is a stepping stone for him if all goes to plan. 

So…..Blackburn or Rangers ? It’s a no brainer. 

Also…..if he’d signed a new deal with us I doubt anyone would accuse him of lacking ambition….yet he’d be settling for a team which realistically has little opportunity of winning anything.

It would have been very decent of him to do things differently but the odds are on this being a short career for Souttar so I get he wants to look after No1.

34 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

Happens at times. Hope he stays until the season ends. 🙏 

I get the anger, and its one of the reasons it's great to be a Hearts fan, I would hate to be one of those clubs who is sending love letters to players who move on to another team.  

He's moving on clearly, we should focus on maximising the value from him whether that's selling up or getting him on the pitch, I have no qualms with him playing for remainder of his deal, he's not going to down tools, he wants the best for the club and there's some massive Scotland games on the horizon.

1 hour ago, luckydug said:

I notice you don't mention who he is being linked with. 🤔

He may be available to play but we have effectively lost him for the rest of the season. 

Consciously or Unconsciously he will have the dread of injury at the back of his mind. 

No matter what you may think there will be a substantial amount of fans ready to jeer. The situation is not healthy for the team he needs to move now or sit in the house until his contract is up. 

I've been getting fed up with football in general due to the gravy train that the sport has become. 

What's the smiley insinuating, that I'm some kind of Rangers supporter? :rofl:

I might have moved to Northern Ireland, but trust me, that just gives me even more reason to ****ing hate them and their Union Jack waving, God Save the Queen spewing, Rangers shirts for every occasion wearing, braindead supporters. 

I don't mention who he's linked with, mainly because it doesn't matter.  He's linked with them, nothing concrete has been mentioned. He might sign for absolutely anyone, just because Der Hun have got their red tops busy spunking out stories left, right, and centre, doesn't mean anything has happened yet. Also, aren't they supposed to be skint? How are they affording this ultra, mega wage package that the papers keep mentioning? 

He is without a doubt one of our best players. I'd like to think he's professional enough to keep it up until the end of the season, and give us something to remember him by, regardless of the team he might end up at.  If people want to boo him for that, then they're just people who are never ever going to be happy with anything the club does. 

At the end of the day, if he goes to Rangers, he gets Champions League football next season, almost guaranteed. If he goes to somewhere in the Championship, he gets a 44 game slog of a season, with the prize of getting thumped in the Premier League the next year, or maybe getting rolled over in the FA Cup by a team like Chelsea depending on which team he ends up at.  It's not hard to imagine why he might pick one over the other, but he's a young enough lad and it's own career to decide what he does. 

In an ideal world, he'd be given a 10 year contract, getting paid the sort of money those other teams could pay him. But it would **** our wage structure, it would **** our chances of signing players for normal wages in the future, and it would cause so much unrest in the squad. Plus, we can't afford it. 

I don't want him to go.  But if he does, he goes with my beat wishes until he plays in a match involving Heart of Midlothian, or where their results could affect our end of season standing. 

2 hours ago, Rudy T said:

Spot on, if he’s moves to England I think almost every Hearts fan would wish him well.

Moving to either of the OF and I wish him nothing but the worst

1 hour ago, DH1986 said:

I really don’t see how moving to Rangers lacks ambition. He’ll be moving to one of the biggest clubs in the UK and have a great opportunity to win medals and play in the CL. He will also improve his chances of winning more Scotland caps too. I’m guessing when most players start out they’d have some of those things on their list of ambitions. His ultimate goal will be the EPL……so his next move is a stepping stone for him if all goes to plan. 

Also…..if he’d signed a new deal with us I doubt anyone would accuse him of lacking ambition….yet he’d be settling for a team which realistically has little opportunity of winning anything.

It would have been very decent of him to do things differently but the odds are on this being a short career for Souttar so I get he wants to look after No1.

Surely if his ultimate goal is the EPL then moving to the team sitting third in the championship and flying would be the obvious move?

And sorry, but maybe making the champions league group stages at most only to get pumped most games, really not seeing the appeal of that compared to playing week in week out in the premiership. 

He could go down south, not work out and Rangers would still want him. Move to Rangers and it doesn’t work out and he’s back at us or Aberdeen.

It’s a no-brainer for me to move the England but I do fear he’ll head West

7 hours ago, tian447 said:

What's the smiley insinuating, that I'm some kind of Rangers supporter? :rofl:

I might have moved to Northern Ireland, but trust me, that just gives me even more reason to ****ing hate them and their Union Jack waving, God Save the Queen spewing, Rangers shirts for every occasion wearing, braindead supporters. 

I don't mention who he's linked with, mainly because it doesn't matter.  He's linked with them, nothing concrete has been mentioned. He might sign for absolutely anyone, just because Der Hun have got their red tops busy spunking out stories left, right, and centre, doesn't mean anything has happened yet. Also, aren't they supposed to be skint? How are they affording this ultra, mega wage package that the papers keep mentioning? 

He is without a doubt one of our best players. I'd like to think he's professional enough to keep it up until the end of the season, and give us something to remember him by, regardless of the team he might end up at.  If people want to boo him for that, then they're just people who are never ever going to be happy with anything the club does. 

At the end of the day, if he goes to Rangers, he gets Champions League football next season, almost guaranteed. If he goes to somewhere in the Championship, he gets a 44 game slog of a season, with the prize of getting thumped in the Premier League the next year, or maybe getting rolled over in the FA Cup by a team like Chelsea depending on which team he ends up at.  It's not hard to imagine why he might pick one over the other, but he's a young enough lad and it's own career to decide what he does. 

In an ideal world, he'd be given a 10 year contract, getting paid the sort of money those other teams could pay him. But it would **** our wage structure, it would **** our chances of signing players for normal wages in the future, and it would cause so much unrest in the squad. Plus, we can't afford it. 

I don't want him to go.  But if he does, he goes with my beat wishes until he plays in a match involving Heart of Midlothian, or where their results could affect our end of season standing. 

Just have to agree to disagree 👍

Seeing huns on Twitter talking about him being 3rd or 4th choice and filling in for hellander. 

If Souttar genuinely trades starting every week to playing back up in the same league for a rival then that speaks volumes about his ambition. Guaranteed his career there mimics Lafferty, McLaren, Wilson etc.

If he goes down South, sure, he might fail. He might also get promoted into the EPL and play at the highest level against the likes of Salah, Ronaldo etc. 

Surely if Blackburn want him it’s a no brainer? Can imagine Blackburn and Sheffield Utd are paying more than the bigots in the west too. 

No longer active

And from a Sevco point of view surely their only real challenger for this seasons title is Celtic. A strong Hearts only improves their chances of winning that so as long as their CBs remain at Ibrox until summer then I cannot see the urgency to get Souttar on board

25 minutes ago, OTT said:

Seeing huns on Twitter talking about him being 3rd or 4th choice and filling in for hellander. 

If Souttar genuinely trades starting every week to playing back up in the same league for a rival then that speaks volumes about his ambition. Guaranteed his career there mimics Lafferty, McLaren, Wilson etc.

If he goes down South, sure, he might fail. He might also get promoted into the EPL and play at the highest level against the likes of Salah, Ronaldo etc. 

Surely if Blackburn want him it’s a no brainer? Can imagine Blackburn and Sheffield Utd are paying more than the bigots in the west too. 

Alan McLaren was a first pick at Rangers for 2 years until injury wrecked his career

He was actually awarded a testimonial from Rangers v Middlesbrough 

He was a far bigger loss to Hearts at the time than Souttar will be.

4 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Alan McLaren was a first pick at Rangers for 2 years until injury wrecked his career

He was actually awarded a testimonial from Rangers v Middlesbrough 

He was a far bigger loss to Hearts at the time than Souttar will be.

Im thinking of Paul Richie 🤦‍♂️

9 hours ago, DH1986 said:

It all depends on your definition of ambition, I guess. 

Winning medals against teams with 10% of your club's turnover (with the exception of Celtic), is not my definition of ambition.

It is ambition though – ambition to win medals against vastly weaker teams, 98% of whom have literally a tenth or less of your playing budget.

Pitting yourself against stronger teammates and opponents and having the ambition to win that situation, that is a different quality of ambition.

I thought at the time that Lee Wallace, given his age, physique, speed had the lot to play at the highest level, IMO better than Souttar, Patterson and Hickey. He went to Rangers, what a waste. I do not blame Hearts for not having Souttar on an extended contract given his injury history, I am biased but I think he could do a lot worse than stay with us. Regular  game, in Scotland squad, a club on the up. Surely we could make it worth his while financially to stay without breaking our wage structure.  He maybe feels he needs to cash in now as another injury can end it all. Staying now looks unlikely though, hopefully a deal is made (soon) if he is to move on, it won't be millions but it needs done. I do not think a pre-contract is a great option for John Souttar with the risk of exclusion from the team, losing his Scotland place and being shunned by fans who have been very good to him

10 minutes ago, Skacelsid said:

I thought at the time that Lee Wallace, given his age, physique, speed had the lot to play at the highest level, IMO better than Souttar, Patterson and Hickey. He went to Rangers, what a waste. I do not blame Hearts for not having Souttar on an extended contract given his injury history, I am biased but I think he could do a lot worse than stay with us. Regular  game, in Scotland squad, a club on the up. Surely we could make it worth his while financially to stay without breaking our wage structure.  He maybe feels he needs to cash in now as another injury can end it all. Staying now looks unlikely though, hopefully a deal is made (soon) if he is to move on, it won't be millions but it needs done. I do not think a pre-contract is a great option for John Souttar with the risk of exclusion from the team, losing his Scotland place and being shunned by fans who have been very good to him

Wise words,well said

Butterbean1874

Here’s a thing WHAT IF JS signs a pre contract with the ORC’s but continues to play for us till the end of the season but his old injury returns & the ORC’s cancel the pre contract ( if they can) do we offer him another contract??

27 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

It all depends on your definition of ambition, I guess. 

Winning medals against teams with 10% of your club's turnover (with the exception of Celtic), is not my definition of ambition.

It is ambition though – ambition to win medals against vastly weaker teams, 98% of whom have literally a tenth or less of your playing budget.

Pitting yourself against stronger teammates and opponents and having the ambition to win that situation, that is a different quality of ambition.

I guess most footballers would like a shelf full of medals and a bank balance full of win bonuses than just memories of going to Anfield and getting tied in knots.

John Souttar isn’t EPL ready so he has to make a move to get him to that next stage. Why not win a few trophies on the way rather than play for Blackburn ?

49 minutes ago, OTT said:

Im thinking of Paul Richie 🤦‍♂️

Yep, he'd just had his first cap for Scotland (and scored!) whilst with us, went to sevco..... on a freebie... don't think he even started a game for them.

Neilson in the Scotsman today saying he thinks it unlikely that Souttar will move in this transfer window. It would take an exceptional offer.

And also that he expects him to play.

So, much as I dislike Rangers and wish he doesn't go there, if he signs a pre-contract with them and continues to play every week in maroon there is only one thing we can and must do.

Get right behind the team. The whole team.

1 minute ago, 4marsbars said:

Neilson in the Scotsman today saying he thinks it unlikely that Souttar will move in this transfer window. It would take an exceptional offer.

And also that he expects him to play.

So, much as I dislike Rangers and wish he doesn't go there, if he signs a pre-contract with them and continues to play every week in maroon there is only one thing we can and must do.

Get right behind the team. The whole team.

I expect the management team will keep a close eye on Souttar. 

Any hint of protecting himself at the teams expense and he will be out. 

Naaa. It'll be like a failed 9 darter.

Cochrane passes it back to Kingsley...YAS...over to Halkett...YAS...and onto Souttar BOOOOOOOOOO.

It might be childish but if Souttar signs a Pre with Rangers and still plays for us I won’t be happy with it. I think it will cause unnecessary hassle in our stadium, we need the team to be in it together, with the fans backing every player, that won’t happen if he stays and plays.

1 hour ago, Butterbean1874 said:

Here’s a thing WHAT IF JS signs a pre contract with the ORC’s but continues to play for us till the end of the season but his old injury returns & the ORC’s cancel the pre contract ( if they can) do we offer him another contract??

I don't know if they could cancel the pre contract. If they could cancel it if soutter got his bad injury again I would certainly not offer him a new contract now.

Neilson quoted in Scotsman (apologies if already posted by someone else)

“John is a top player and he will continue to play in the team and will continue to do well,” he told the Scarves around the Funnel podcast. “We will continue to take it game by game.

“We would love to keep John. We still hope he will make that decision to stay with us. Is he going to do it? I’m not sure.

“I know there have been a lot of suitors for him, as has been the case with a lot of our players.

“We are looking at centre halves just now and in the summer."

He went on: “I don’t think John has signed anything anywhere. I’d be surprised because there has been no contact made to us.

30 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

It might be childish but if Souttar signs a Pre with Rangers and still plays for us I won’t be happy with it. I think it will cause unnecessary hassle in our stadium, we need the team to be in it together, with the fans backing every player, that won’t happen if he stays and plays.

For me, *if* he signs that pre with rangers he can't kick a ball for us again.

It's far from just being petty. Another poster described it as making professional sense. It is our bargaining chip to force a sale through in Jan for a fee we are happy with.

Or we need the balls to stick with it and put him on leave.

3 minutes ago, Ominous said:

I don't know if they could cancel the pre contract. If they could cancel it if soutter got his bad injury again I would certainly not offer him a new contract now.

Theoretically the contract could be taken Off the table as it's only an agreement to enter into a contract later.

Which is perhaps another reason he shouldn't play. Would he fully be in it knowing he could tempt another big injury before sealing his deal?

August Landmesser
4 minutes ago, Jason Dufner said:

There's nothing new in that article apart from speculation from a different set of sports journos;

"However, after initial talks with Rangers, Souttar is now expected to join the Scottish Premiership champions.

Sky Sports News understands the 25-year-old is keen on a permanent move to take place this month."

The rest of the article is stuff we already know.

If he signs pre-contract there then we shouldn’t be letting him go for anything less than £1m. Otherwise he should sit and rot until the summer. 

1 hour ago, 4marsbars said:

“John is a top player and he will continue to play in the team and will continue to do well,” he told the Scarves around the Funnel podcast. “We will continue to take it game by game.

“We would love to keep John. We still hope he will make that decision to stay with us. Is he going to do it? I’m not sure.

“I know there have been a lot of suitors for him, as has been the case with a lot of our players.

He went on: “I don’t think John has signed anything anywhere. I’d be surprised because there has been no contact made to us.

Think that is lifted directly from the Scarves Around The Funnel podcast. 

3 hours ago, Butterbean1874 said:

Do we ****

He will be begging we give him a contact because he will become a free agent with a serious injury. 

18 minutes ago, Jason Dufner said:

There's also a bit of conflict in there between 'he is set to sign a pre contract'  and his desire for it to be immediate. Given what Robbie says the Hearts position is in the rest of that article, if he really is going right now we need to see that huge offer, or our credibility is damaged a bit I think.

2 hours ago, KyleLafferty said:

I think the views on here illustrate your point perfectly. That’s on a forum inhabited largely by middle aged and old men. The young team will be less tolerant.

Edited by GinRummy

Bazzas right boot
14 hours ago, Hearts_fan said:

"decent club"... Stoke, Blackburn?

It's not like it's arsenal, Chelsea or even a Everton / Southampton type club are after him. 

It's shitey, or at best yo - yo clubs. 

How are they decent and how is joining a team that can win leagues, trophies and play in Europe lacking ambition over promotion and relegation fights. 

Staying with us would show more ambition than joining these shitey no mark clubs. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Rangers have previous for doing this and only offering a pittance - sayt £50k (and on the "never never" too!) - and I don't think we'd accept such an low-ball type offer.

If he stays after signing a pre-contract there would only be the 2 games v Rangers to consider "resting" him. If we drew them in the Cup I'd expect Soapy to play as he'd want to win the cup for himself. (He is a Brechin City fan so not off to his "boyhood heroes").

Naisys Tackle
22 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

The SS story linking two articles together making it one piece.    Regurgitated shite. 

It's not.  He's signed for Rangers.  Will be announced shortly.  

Jean Louis Valois

Sick of hearing about him now, Hoping that his move is announced today. Lets concentrate on the players who have committed their future to our club. Cheerio Souttar, cheers for your average time with us.

29 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

"decent club"... Stoke, Blackburn?

It's not like it's arsenal, Chelsea or even a Everton / Southampton type club. 

It's shitey, or at best yo - yo clubs. 

How are they decent and how is joining a team that can win leagues, trophies and play in Europe lacking ambition over promotion and relegation fights. 

Staying with us would show more ambition than joining these shitey no mark clubs. 

It's disrespectful against Blackburn. 

Blackburn have won more trophies than Southampton.    They have also won the Premier League.   Something  both the OF aspire to do. 

I wouldn't say they are a yoyo club either.    They have long spells being in either division especially the Premier/First division. 

Edited by HMFC01

When we got Halkett on a pre contract in April 2019 We never played Livingston again that season so he wouldn't be playing against us. We are still to play Rangers twice I wouldn't be keen on having Souttar playing in these games. 

In 2009 Dundee United and Celtic played a semi final it was 11-10 on pens and Flood missing the pen for United hit the bar hands over face and Scott McDonald took next pen and won it for Celtic,

Two days later Flood was a Celtic player!. I don't think for a second Flood only found out after this game Celtic were after him, He would of knowing before the semi on the Wednesday night that Celtic were going to sign him ( Celtic fan also )

Was he focused 100% in that game for United or was his head turned knowing he was joining Celtic in a couple of days and it was just fluke he missed the pen ? 

If its confirmed then he needs to leave now.  Just take a few hundred grand and get him to feck.  He should be nowhere near the first team.

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

It's disrespectful against Blackburn. 

Blackburn have won more trophies than Southampton.    They have also won the Premier League.   Something  both the OF aspire to. 

I wouldn't say they are a yoyo club either.    They haongspells being in either division especially the Premier/First division. 

Blackburn are shite. 

Skid marks and no mark clubs. 

Will win nothing, will unlikely vee reach a final and won't play in Europe 

Joining rangers over them in no way lacks ambition. 

Bazzas right boot
22 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

It's not.  He's signed for Rangers.  Will be announced shortly.  

Money? 

A_A wehatethehibs
2 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

I think at this point we all know that Robbie Neilson does not tell the truth to the press. I tend to think he maybe uses the press as some kind of mind games, or just enjoys taking the piss out of the journalists who know **** all about things behind closed doors. Not sure what it is but there’s definitely a pattern of him saying false things to the press 

• davemclaren changed the title to Souttar signs pre-contract with Rangers (Super Thread)