Souttar signs pre-contract with Rangers (Super Thread)

Bazzas right boot

Guest ToqueJambo
57 minutes ago, martoon said:

Aye.

All good shouts.

Rudi, as I hinted at, was irreplaceable. A complete one off.

Anytime he was missing there was an Elvis sized gap in our defence that severely dented our hopes of a positive result.

Craig Gordon missing now? Too dire a scenario to contemplate. Fecking horrific, actually.

Robbo is still the most irreplaceable, in my time, but all of the above are/were, too.

Consider "The only..." comment retracted. 😊

I still don't believe Soapy falls into that category, however.

Colin Cameron for me. I still don't think we've ever replaced him although Hartley came close. Agree Souttar is very good but replaceable, maybe even immediately by one of Halkett, Moore or even Haring.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Factuer Moi

• Bazzas right boot

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
16 minutes ago, Chillidigits said:

Does running down your contract always mean that you intend to leave your club. What if it's a sure way to get the club to give you the absolute best deal possible with the subtle truth being that you never had any intention of leaving anyway.

Paul McStay did that, but no-one wanted him. :lol:

Can't see us selling for anything less than a couple million. Understandably you'd expect a much lesser bid to come in, in an attempt to prize him from us. But as RN has already said. Its more worthwhile for him to be in our squad with a potential £3m European payout (minimum - when you factor in gates etc).

Wish him all the best wherever and whenever he does leave though. In an ideal world, just not west.

Guest ToqueJambo
7 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Scott Brown also left it very late to sign a new deal a couple of times. Again, no-one wanted him badly enough.

Paul McStay was 5 times the player Brown was mind you.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Ccjambo1874 said:

Can't see us selling for anything less than a couple million. Understandably you'd expect a much lesser bid to come in, in an attempt to prize him from us. But as RN has already said. Its more worthwhile for him to be in our squad with a potential £3m European payout (minimum - when you factor in gates etc).

Wish him all the best wherever and whenever he does leave though. In an ideal world, just not west.

I think there's a good chance he'll go to Celtic tbh. Starfelt is rubbish.

1 hour ago, Boyces beard said:

I dont think a pre contract agreement is set in stone nor is it legaly binding by law. I might be wrong and stand to be corrected but im sure i read before that a club or player can change there mind up until an actual contract is signed, this has to be after there contract expires with their current club.

I suppose it would depend on what is written in the pre-contract contract.   

😄

4 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

🎶 "Nob'dy wants you, Paul McStay...". 🎶 😄

From around 1985-88 Gary MacKay was a better player than the "maestro".

McStay was a fine footballer but way overrated by jungle jim's and the ever compliant, OF arse kissing media.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
2 minutes ago, martoon said:

🎶 "Nob'dy wants you, Paul McStay...". 🎶 😄

From around 1985-88 Gary MacKay was a better player than the "maestro".

McStay was a fine footballer but way overrated by jungle jim's and the ever compliant, OF arse kissing media.

Forgot that song :rofl: MacKay was excellent, though.

14 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Paul McStay was 5 times the player Brown was mind you.

Brown was a better player for Celtic than McStay.

Edited by DH1986

11 minutes ago, Jumper said:

Good shout.

Sadly I agree. His missus has quite a settled job in Scotland I'm sure as well. Makes the most sense logically.

Only place I could see him going down south is Stoke as his brother is already there.

27 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Colin Cameron for me. I still don't think we've ever replaced him although Hartley came close. Agree Souttar is very good but replaceable, maybe even immediately by one of Halkett, Moore or even Haring.

Two fantastic Hearts players, TJ. 

You're right regarding replacing Souttar. Would prefer if he signed up but those three lads you mention are ready made to step in.

Particularly Haring, imo.

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Brown was a better player for Celtic than McStay.

Assuming you mean in terms of titles, etc. Brown has benefited from the OF's dominance and refs' leniency but he's a poor footballer talent-wise if you compare him to top midfielders at other clubs in Europe. McStay played at a time when there were often 4-5 teams playing for the title so Celtic weren't as successful. McStay was very good - closer in style to Gary Mackay than Brown as others have said -  but was another one who never did it for the national team. 

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Assuming you mean in terms of titles, etc. Brown has benefited from the OF's dominance and refs' leniency but he's a poor footballer talent-wise if you compare him to top midfielders at other clubs in Europe. McStay played at a time when there were often 4-5 teams playing for the title so Celtic weren't as successful. McStay was very good - closer in style to Gary Mackay than Brown as others have said -  but was another one who never did it for the national team. 

McStay may well have been a better passer of the ball but Brown had all the other attributes that really counted imo.

41 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Haring is probably the best choice out of the three in terms of being able to bring the ball out of defence, and it would stop us having to choose between Beni or Pete when both are fit. 

Adamant that Souttar will not end up in Glasgow this summer. He's playing in the goldfish bowl of Scottish football for almost a decade now and seems far too sensible to just go to Celtic or Rangers.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's back up north playing for one of them in a while, a la Andy Webster and Craig Gordon, but really don't think he'll go straight there from us.

8 hours ago, wavydavy said:

If he stays until the summer he will be thinking about avoiding injury which is never a good thing.

Very sensible comment. Some will say he wants to stay in Scotland squad but that pretty much is a given.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

I think there's a good chance he'll go to Celtic tbh. Starfelt is rubbish.

I thought this about 2 years ago. 

Hopefully not. 

4 hours ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Ha Ha .   Not very good at keeping a secret then.

Fozzyonthefence
3 hours ago, OldGorgie said:

Very sensible comment. Some will say he wants to stay in Scotland squad but that pretty much is a given.

He won’t want to stay in the squad he’ll want to become a starter and to play in the World Cup.  He’s not going to do that if he puts in half arsed performances, worrying about getting injured. 

18 hours ago, Chillidigits said:

Does running down your contract always mean that you intend to leave your club. What if it's a sure way to get the club to give you the absolute best deal possible with the subtle truth being that you never had any intention of leaving anyway.

Looks like Souttar, Rudiger and Goldson are away. Any examples of your scenario?

8 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Looks like Souttar, Rudiger and Goldson are away. Any examples of your scenario?

We will soon find out with Gordon, Halkett and Kinsgley though.

Fort Vallance
17 hours ago, Locky said:

Adamant that Souttar will not end up in Glasgow this summer. He's playing in the goldfish bowl of Scottish football for almost a decade now and seems far too sensible to just go to Celtic or Rangers.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's back up north playing for one of them in a while, a la Andy Webster and Craig Gordon, but really don't think he'll go straight there from us.

Totally agree.

24 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Surely hundreds but we only hear that ‘x player has signed a new contract’. 

We are not privy to the negotiations prior to that stage. 

A_A wehatethehibs

John knows more than any player that it’s a short career and can end any time. So for that reason I would think he would favour making a move now, in January, when he’s fit, in form and in national squads. Ready to go somewhere, be a star and play. Strike while the iron is hot. Hearts get a fee and he gets on with his career.

The pre contract just seems a bit illogical to me, maybe verbally agreed but I strongly think making a move now while he’s at peak fitness and form is the way to go. IMO 

4 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

John knows more than any player that it’s a short career and can end any time. So for that reason I would think he would favour making a move now, in January, when he’s fit, in form and in national squads. Ready to go somewhere, be a star and play. Strike while the iron is hot. Hearts get a fee and he gets on with his career.

The pre contract just seems a bit illogical to me, maybe verbally agreed but I strongly think making a move now while he’s at peak fitness and form is the way to go. IMO 

Pre-contract is the cheapskate OF method for signing JS.

I believe he will go south on a transfer in January.

Fxxx the SPFL
2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Taking my Hearts blinkers off for a second. If I was JS, I'd sign for either of the OF before the likes of Blackburn or Stoke. 

He would get more money down south some players are on £50k a week in the Championship 

jamboinglasgow
4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Taking my Hearts blinkers off for a second. If I was JS, I'd sign for either of the OF before the likes of Blackburn or Stoke. 

You have to remember, that had his brother not got a bad injury last month, then he would be away in January to a Premier League club (he will probably move in the summer now.) So John will see that moving to the Championship is a route to the Premier league. And he will get a bigger wage than the old firm will offer.

On 29/12/2021 at 18:15, martoon said:

Two fantastic Hearts players, TJ. 

You're right regarding replacing Souttar. Would prefer if he signed up but those three lads you mention are ready made to step in.

Particularly Haring, imo.

None of those three can replace Soutar for me. If Haring was fancied as a centre half would have been played there by now, Soapy is comfortable on ball, others not so.

Robbies right hand man

I’ll be honest - I’m slightly disappointed he’s running down his contract after all we’ve done for him.

Even if it’s a year extension, could he not sign it with the agreement if a good offer came in we’d not stand in his way?

Is it too much to ask for him to show a bit of loyalty to us?

He will still get the move he wants, but it would mean we get some money.

If he goes to one of the old firm, he’ll go with us fans having a bitter taste in our mouth.

Edited by Robbies right hand man

14 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

He would get more money down south some players are on £50k a week in the Championship 

He won't get that though. He might get about £10-15k a week which I'm sure is roughly what Rangers or Celtic would offer.

11 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

You have to remember, that had his brother not got a bad injury last month, then he would be away in January to a Premier League club (he will probably move in the summer now.) So John will see that moving to the Championship is a route to the Premier league. And he will get a bigger wage than the old firm will offer.

He'd certainly get bigger wages if he won a move to a EPL side. I'm not sure he's going to be getting much more than what the OF offer for his first move to England at the likes of Blackburn or Stoke.

If he goes to Glasgow he doesn't have to uproot and he's guaranteed trophies and European football. He also gets to play positive football, get his foot on the ball and showcase his talent in a winning side.

A move to England and the likes of Blackburn or Stoke, it's usually come the end of the season, 46 meaningless fixtures. If on the off chance they win promotion, he'd be playing backs to the wall football in the EPL getting tanked 5-0 most weeks, which has made better defenders look shit.

If you look at Ajaer, Van Dijk etc.. play well for the OF and the next step is the EPL or abroad. 

That is why if I was him that's why I'd choose the OF. It's a better move from his perspective imo even if I'd be gutted if he went to either.

Bazzas right boot
30 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Yip. Even being relegation fodder or a player in a  yo-yo team  for for a shitey  club ( unless getting paid lots more) would be shite.

Celtic and Rangers guarantee some of the biggest crowds in the UK, European football and trophies. You can still get a move to a decent EPL team as well.

I'd take that over stotting about with a Notts Forest/ Norwich/ Watford type club every day of the week.

27 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

He won't be ffs, no free transfer from Hearts is going to go straight on 50k a week.

kingantti1874
12 minutes ago, Robbies right hand man said:

I’ll be honest - I’m slightly disappointed he’s running down his contract after all we’ve done for him.

Even if it’s a year extension, could he not sign it with the agreement if a good offer came in we’d not stand in his way?

Is it too much to ask for him to show a bit of loyalty to us?

He will still get the move he wants, but it would mean we get some money.

If he goes to one of the old firm, he’ll go with us fans having a bitter taste in our mouth.

agreed, I really thought he would.. I understand why he hasn’t but I just thought he would.. !

if he goes down south he will go with best wishes, but if he goes to the old firm.. we’ll all bets are off as regards his future treatment!  

Fxxx the SPFL
19 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yip. Even being relegation fodder or a player in a  yo-yo team  for for a shitey  club ( unless getting paid lots more) would be shite.

Celtic and Rangers guarantee some of the biggest crowds in the UK, European football and trophies. You can still get a move to a decent EPL team as well.

I'd take that over stotting about with a Notts Forest/ Norwich/ Watford type club every day of the week.

He won't be ffs, no free transfer from Hearts is going to go straight on 50k a week.

I never said he would I said that some players are on that figure still think he would get more down south than what the OF would pay him

I liked what Joe savage said about getting 3rd is potentially worth more to us/the club than selling Soapy in this window, and that we wouldn't be short changed by anyone, Souttar would absolutely help us achieve that but then again by deciding to keep him, we might miss out on some cash + a sell on clause as well and if things go well in the english championship for him, we could be big quids in later down the road. It's a really difficult one tbh, I would actually prefer that we sold him and moved on as it stops the whole saga hanging over our heads 

Robbies right hand man
25 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

agreed, I really thought he would.. I understand why he hasn’t but I just thought he would.. !

if he goes down south he will go with best wishes, but if he goes to the old firm.. we’ll all bets are off as regards his future treatment!  

Spot on. We’ve done a lot of the lad, a bit of loyalty is not too much to ask. 

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

I never said he would I said that some players are on that figure still think he would get more down south than what the OF would pay him

Aye, but he won't.

The OF will pay more than most championship teams ( It can be checked easily ) and my point about trophies, big crowds, winning games stands.

Being a free transfer from Hearts, the OF could easily match any offers down south he will receive but they may also  choose not to.

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

I liked what Joe savage said about getting 3rd is potentially worth more to us/the club than selling Soapy in this window, and that we wouldn't be short changed by anyone, Souttar would absolutely help us achieve that but then again by deciding to keep him, we might miss out on some cash + a sell on clause as well and if things go well in the english championship for him, we could be big quids in later down the road. It's a really difficult one tbh, I would actually prefer that we sold him and moved on as it stops the whole saga hanging over our heads 

That's the key point, especially if he is heading to the OF.

Really don't want the squad moral and togetherness to be put out.

He needs to **** off now, but I suspect it's more about us and if we can replace him.

If we can replace him, he will be allowed to go for a fee, but if we can't replace them then taking the risk is probably worth it and we'll keep him until the summer.

We cannot let him go in January without a suitable replacement lined up, that would jeopardise the season and our prospects of being 3rd.

On 29/12/2021 at 11:03, jamtartan74 said:

The World Cup play offs are in March btw, nations league games are in June 👍🏻.

World Cup is in November 

Lose yourself in the reserves of a Championship side you might not get picked. 

5 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Aye, but he won't.

The OF will pay more than most championship teams ( It can be checked easily ) and my point about trophies, big crowds, winning games stands.

Being a free transfer from Hearts, the OF could easily match any offers down south he will receive but they may also  choose not to.

Had a check, if people like Blackburn are after him, he won't get much more than 10k per week. And the arse cheeks would certainly offer more.

https://salarysport.com/football/sky-bet-championship/blackburn-rovers/

A big factor will be if a Blackburn,  Stoke etc want him now to help with their promotion push. They may feel its worth forking out a bit of money in order to get him in January. 

An offer of over 500k isn't unrealistic and may tempt us if we feel Moore , Halkett and Kingsley is good enough with Smith, Haring and Cochrane as cover.

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, JamboAndrew said:

Had a check, if people like Blackburn are after him, he won't get much more than 10k per week. And the arse cheeks would certainly offer more.

https://salarysport.com/football/sky-bet-championship/blackburn-rovers/

Yeah, common sense tbh.

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, ramrod said:

A big factor will be if a Blackburn,  Stoke etc want him now to help with their promotion push. They may feel its worth forking out a bit of money in order to get him in January. 

An offer of over 500k isn't unrealistic and may tempt us if we feel Moore , Halkett and Kingsley is good enough with Smith, Haring and Cochrane as cover.

Hopefully, but Souttar might not want to go to these clubs, he might want to go to the OF, if that's the case we are ****ed!

Stoke in particular may want him now.

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

Hopefully, but Souttar might not want to go to these clubs, he might want to go to the OF, if that's the case we are ****ed!

Stoke in particular may want him now.

Dunno the guy but my feeling is Stoke is probably his preferred option ,could see them offering money to get him , if that's the case I could see it happening fairly quickly once the window is open .

Pasquale for King

Have we ever had a player play for us after signing a pre contract elsewhere? 
I can only think of Sam Nicholson getting abuse after Levein told everyone he was leaving but it wasn’t a pre contract. 

12 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

World Cup is in November 

Lose yourself in the reserves of a Championship side you might not get picked. 

I know, just correcting one or two people who said the WC playoffs were in June. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, ramrod said:

Dunno the guy but my feeling is Stoke is probably his preferred option ,could see them offering money to get him , if that's the case I could see it happening fairly quickly once the window is open .

Hope so, best case all round. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Souttar signs pre-contract with Rangers (Super Thread)