Souttar signs pre-contract with Rangers (Super Thread)

Bazzas right boot

Voice of reason

We do seem to be bad at allowing our assets to run down their contracts like this. It feels like Hibs are better at keeping their sellable players on long-term contracts. When was the last time one of their valued players was sold on the cheap in January or left for nothing? 

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Factuer Moi

• Bazzas right boot

1 minute ago, Voice of reason said:

We do seem to be bad at allowing our assets to run down their contracts like this. It feels like Hibs are better at keeping their sellable players on long-term contracts. When was the last time one of their valued players was sold on the cheap in January or left for nothing? 

What do you suggest we could have done differently?

Souttar was injured…..we offered him a new deal, he’s refused it and he’s decided to try his luck elsewhere.

We can’t force anyone to sign contracts. 

Stopped giving a shit about players leaving when we sold Neil McCann to Rangers and Davie Weir for sweeties to Everton. Players come and go,they will be replaced. Those that stay long enough will earn their status, those that leave will be remembered fondly and others will be forgotten completely.

I'd like to remember Soapy fondly and wish him all the best to wherever he ends up. 

Voice of reason
25 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Souttar was injured…..we offered him a new deal, he’s refused it and he’s decided to try his luck elsewhere.

I totally get that we can’t force players to sign a new contract. I just wonder if we could do something a bit different or be more inventive to incentivise a player to extend? Not sure what but I wonder what Hibs put in Martin Boyle’s contract to get him to extend until 2024. He’s 28 and could have probably quadrupled his wages by going to an English championship team but Hibs convinced him to potentially give up on his last big pay day. Just wonder if we are missing a trick somewhere. Probably not anything in it other than different players have different ambitions etc.

Glamorgan Jambo
2 hours ago, andrew said:

It's really sad to see him shitting on the club after all we've done for him.  His career was going downhill fast at Utd and we stuck by him through a lot of serious injuries.  

If his new club don't make an acceptable offer for him in January I hope we seriously consider having him train with the kids for the next 6 months.

I have to disagree with you. If we don’t get an offer we can accept we don’t get one and that’s it and not something we can control. We have nothing to lose playing him for the rest of the season and if he slackens up it won’t do him any good in the future. Which may affect his involvement with Scotland and the chances of a future transfer up a level. Which he absolutely will be thinking about.

1 hour ago, Voice of reason said:

Keep hearing this. When was the last time they sold any of these assets for decent money? The only time in the last 15 years they’ve sold anyone for over a million was John McGinn!

Just because they chuck about 3 year extensions like smarties doesn’t mean their business model is any better or worse than ours. For all their wind and pish over the last year, they have ONE proper asset in Boyle and he’s 28. 

wattie exploited
5 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

It’s pretty frustrating but it’s a short career in a business flowing with money in some places and might be even shorter for Souttar if he gets another serious injury. If he leaves for nothing I’ll neither wish him

luck nor harm. Just another Paul Ritchie. Zero loyalty. Zero status when he leaves IMO. Some folk will call him a legend after he has gone of course and we’ll get various ‘Souttar watch’ threads no doubt. Feck him. Just get me another centre half. 

I don't wish him any bad luck for the future if he leaves but I will be massively disappointed in him !!!!!:rifle:

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Voice of reason said:

I totally get that we can’t force players to sign a new contract. I just wonder if we could do something a bit different or be more inventive to incentivise a player to extend? Not sure what but I wonder what Hibs put in Martin Boyle’s contract to get him to extend until 2024. He’s 28 and could have probably quadrupled his wages by going to an English championship team but Hibs convinced him to potentially give up on his last big pay day. Just wonder if we are missing a trick somewhere. Probably not anything in it other than different players have different ambitions etc.

I don’t think there’s any trick that Hibs are doing, the major reason with Boyle seems to be that his wife plays for their womens team. 

Pasquale for King
57 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Keep hearing this. When was the last time they sold any of these assets for decent money? The only time in the last 15 years they’ve sold anyone for over a million was John McGinn!

Just because they chuck about 3 year extensions like smarties doesn’t mean their business model is any better or worse than ours. For all their wind and pish over the last year, they have ONE proper asset in Boyle and he’s 28. 

Agreed, and the only bid they’ve had is £500k. 

Byyy The Light
1 hour ago, DS98 said:

Can’t be chucking facts like this about mate.

Better players have come and gone. As long as he's not away to Glasgow im not too bothered. Would prefer he stayed till the end and help us secure 3rd place

Why be foolish and pay money now when he comes as a free in the summer.  Pre-contract but with whom?  

The lad has ambition so why sign with a Championship club unless you are certain that promotion is a certainty.

9 hours ago, DH1986 said:

Very similar situation to Goldson at Rangers and Rudiger at Chelsea. It looks very much like all three centre backs will run down their contracts and leave for free in the summer. If it's happening to Chelsea, what chance do Hearts have?

Good luck to him. I hope we get a fee and he makes plenty of money himself. 

Just do sigh for Rangers or Celtic, but if he does I certainly won't be wishing any Ill will on the kid. He was seriously injured as a Hearts player and am chuffed Hearts did  all they did/could for the lad. 

Edited by ri Alban

Looks like he will sign a pre contract with someone.  Then  one of two things will happen, the club in question offer a suitable (to us) fee to take him now or he stays until end of season.  If he stays then he's still a Hearts player.  I wouldn't have a problem with him playing until end of season as long as he keeps his form.  Will be easier for us to replace him in summer.  I don't get all the talk about telling him to f off if he signs elsewhere.  It's how transfers are done these days.  We have benefited in past from exactly that and will do in future.  

Fozzyonthefence
10 hours ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

I have to disagree with you. If we don’t get an offer we can accept we don’t get one and that’s it and not something we can control. We have nothing to lose playing him for the rest of the season and if he slackens up it won’t do him any good in the future. Which may affect his involvement with Scotland and the chances of a future transfer up a level. Which he absolutely will be thinking about.

That’s a good point, Scotland have the World Cup play offs in June I believe.  He’s currently unlikely to play if everyone is fit so if he stays with Hearts he’ll be looking to play well to be considered for a starting place. 

1 minute ago, Boyces beard said:

I will be Happy for JS as long as he does not head along the m8 to Glasgow, that would be a stiff kick in the baws to Hearts fans

This 100%... not just because it's THEM, but it'll weaken us and strengthen the two clubs above us. 

Get any kind of fee in January, free up the wage, sign someone else and move on.

Better that than a Souttar who's not committed to a Hearts future and is less likely to give 100% for fear of injury.

John Robertson is the only irreplaceable player we've had in my time.

There's a case to add Rudi but his 2 spells at Hearts were all too brief compared to Robbo.

Hearts won't fall apart without Souttar.

Fozzyonthefence
7 minutes ago, martoon said:

Get any kind of fee in January, free up the wage, sign someone else and move on.

Better that than a Souttar who's not committed to a Hearts future and is less likely to give 100% for fear of injury.

There's a case to add Rudi but his 2 spells at Hearts were all too brief compared to Robbo.

I’m sure he’ll be giving 100% to try and be involved in the World Cup play offs in June.  If his form dips he has no chance of playing in these.  Did he look uncommitted when he halved Griffiths?  

Financially, 3rd place is likely the best thing for Hearts and could be a big gamble without him.  Any fee in January will be sweeties and even if we get a sell on percentage it could be worthless or next to worthless (see Calum Patterson).  Also, more chance of success in the cup with him so I’d rather keep him until the summer.  

1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I’m sure he’ll be giving 100% to try and be involved in the World Cup play offs in June.  If his form dips he has no chance of playing in these.  Did he look uncommitted when he halved Griffiths?  

Financially, 3rd place is likely the best thing for Hearts and could be a big gamble without him.  Any fee in January will be sweeties and even if we get a sell on percentage it could be worthless or next to worthless (see Calum Patterson).  Also, more chance of success in the cup with him so I’d rather keep him until the summer.  

All fair points, Fozzy.

However, I'd still be inclined to move things on now rather than wait. 

Not saying the less than 100% would be deliberate but his game could be affected with a summer move in the pipeline.

If he stays until the summer he will be thinking about avoiding injury which is never a good thing.

I would say take as much as you can get for him say bye bye and move on.

I have mixed feelings about losing Soapy. I actually think we are worse without halkett and can cope without soapy.  He is not physical enough for me and poor in the air for a ch. He never wins a clean header 

I don't get the hate for him if he goes for nothing though.  Those saying he is owe us cause we looked after him when injured and couldn't do his job for months.  Has everyone forgot he couldn't do his job because he got injured doing his job for us.  

He goes with my best wishes but i honestly don't think he will make it in England due to physicality.  I think Spain would suit him more.  

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Alec Eiffel said:

Why be foolish and pay money now when he comes as a free in the summer.  Pre-contract but with whom?  

The lad has ambition so why sign with a Championship club unless you are certain that promotion is a certainty.

If a championship team need him then £500k is a good deal, he’s no good enough to go to a higher level than that as the clubs that are in for him indicate.

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, savage said:

I have mixed feelings about losing Soapy. I actually think we are worse without halkett and can cope without soapy.  He is not physical enough for me and poor in the air for a ch. He never wins a clean header 

I don't get the hate for him if he goes for nothing though.  Those saying he is owe us cause we looked after him when injured and couldn't do his job for months.  Has everyone forgot he couldn't do his job because he got injured doing his job for us.  

He goes with my best wishes but i honestly don't think he will make it in England due to physicality.  I think Spain would suit him more.  

I don’t think he owes us anything but a bit of loyalty, as in getting a fee for him in January with a sell on clause. 
Technically one of his injuries was with  Scotland but it’s a fair point.

Agree that a less physical league would suit him more.  

Edited by Pasquale for King

Keep him and play him. For motivation, as well as using making the June Scotland squad, I'd give him some sort of retention bonus with conditions attached.

Finishing third and securing a decent amount of European football is the goal. Souttar is a good player but we'll find his replacement in the summer.

Edited by pablo

He's contracted until the summer and he'll sign a pre-contract with another team. I don't think he'll leave in January unless a big offer is made because loosing JS could cost us 3rd place.

Sad that he's leaving but plenty of other players have left over the years and are quickly forgotten when new players come in. 

He is decent, not the level he looked like getting to at one stage, possibly injuries have played their part. If he is leaving I would rather it was now and we get something for him. It is up to us to deal with that either by replacing or re-positioning others within our squad, players come and go, that is football. Incoming players are of more interest and importance. JS moving will not define our season. Halkett has been very good this season ( hopefully not injured ) and Moore could prove as good as or even a better partner, and we have other options, even a possible new signing.

He has proved himself to be a professional footballer never a Jambo.

Oh for another quality player with the Donald Ford mentality, the youngsters need a role model who is a real Hearts man they can aspire to emulate, afraid the height of Craig Gordon puts him out of reach.

56 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I don’t think he owes us anything but a bit of loyalty, as in getting a fee for him in January with a sell on clause. 
Technically one of his injuries was with  Scotland but it’s a fair point.

Agree that a less physical league would suit him more.  

Think we get paid insurance for player getting injured playing for Scotland ?

Certainly did at one time 

How much would his transfer value be if he signs a new contract? £2 million/£4 million? who knows? from a business perspective offer him a clause giving him 50% of any transfer fee!, he gets a million or two and we get a million or two a win win situation for both parties!, we carry the risk that he gets a career ending injury but would be same if he signs a new contract! 

4 hours ago, martoon said:

Depends what you mean by irreplaceable. I just wish there was a replacement out there for Rudi! We've definitely not had a player of his quality since he left but unfortunately they are very difficult to find. 

3 minutes ago, stirlo said:

Depends what you mean by irreplaceable. I just wish there was a replacement out there for Rudi! We've definitely not had a player of his quality since he left but unfortunately they are very difficult to find. 

A lot easier to replace a defender that a goal scoring midfielder. 

Tynecastle Valhalla
4 hours ago, martoon said:

I’d add Craig Gordon to that list to be honest. 

Rudi yes for sure.

Possibly even Elvis who was more than just a footballer for hearts all that time.

5 hours ago, martoon said:

Craig Gordon? 

2 hours ago, Malco said:

How much would his transfer value be if he signs a new contract? £2 million/£4 million? who knows? from a business perspective offer him a clause giving him 50% of any transfer fee!, he gets a million or two and we get a million or two a win win situation for both parties!, we carry the risk that he gets a career ending injury but would be same if he signs a new contract! 

He currently gets 100% of a signing on fee with his next club. 

18 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

So he tells us he wants to leave , agrees a deal with Blackburn , goes to Oriam for training and with no one near him he turns with the ball and snap an Achilles is gone , he’s then left in limbo . I certainly don’t wish that on him but if that scenario happened would Hearts offer him some kind of deal ? 

Probably 

19 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

So he tells us he wants to leave , agrees a deal with Blackburn , goes to Oriam for training and with no one near him he turns with the ball and snap an Achilles is gone , he’s then left in limbo . I certainly don’t wish that on him but if that scenario happened would Hearts offer him some kind of deal ? 

It would depend on the terms of that deal what happens. 

If he's signed a contract with them it's up to them to honour it, not Hearts.

Of course there may be a clause in the contract to cover such a situation.

It would be the prudent thing to do for any player, signing for any club. Both for the club and the player. 

The Treasurer
5 hours ago, Mirror said:

He's contracted until the summer and he'll sign a pre-contract with another team. I don't think he'll leave in January unless a big offer is made because loosing JS could cost us 3rd place.

Sad that he's leaving but plenty of other players have left over the years and are quickly forgotten when new players come in. 

Any offer for him to leave now would have to be weighed up against the value of getting European football next season. 

Same goes for any other players who are out of contact in the summer 

1 hour ago, stirlo said:

1 hour ago, wallace_mercer said:

I’d add Craig Gordon to that list to be honest. 

Rudi yes for sure.

Possibly even Elvis who was more than just a footballer for hearts all that time.

46 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Craig Gordon? 

Aye.

All good shouts.

Rudi, as I hinted at, was irreplaceable. A complete one off.

Anytime he was missing there was an Elvis sized gap in our defence that severely dented our hopes of a positive result.

Craig Gordon missing now? Too dire a scenario to contemplate. Fecking horrific, actually.

Robbo is still the most irreplaceable, in my time, but all of the above are/were, too.

Consider "The only..." comment retracted. 😊

I still don't believe Soapy falls into that category, however.

23 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

It would depend on the terms of that deal what happens. 

If he's signed a contract with them it's up to them to honour it, not Hearts.

Of course there may be a clause in the contract to cover such a situation.

It would be the prudent thing to do for any player, signing for any club. Both for the club and the player. 

I dont think a pre contract agreement is set in stone nor is it legaly binding by law. I might be wrong and stand to be corrected but im sure i read before that a club or player can change there mind up untill an actual contract is signed, this has to be after there contract expires with their current club.

It is his job. If he wants to leave then fine; as always we will just get a replacement. He is a good player, but when he goes I'm not sure that it will make that much of a difference. 

10 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Very similar situation to Goldson at Rangers and Rudiger at Chelsea. It looks very much like all three centre backs will run down their contracts and leave for free in the summer. If it's happening to Chelsea, what chance do Hearts have?

Does running down your contract always mean that you intend to leave your club. What if it's a sure way to get the club to give you the absolute best deal possible with the subtle truth being that you never had any intention of leaving anyway.

Tynecastle Valhalla
46 minutes ago, martoon said:

Aye.

All good shouts.

Rudi, as I hinted at, was irreplaceable. A complete one off.

Anytime he was missing there was an Elvis sized gap in our defence that severely dented our hopes of a positive result.

Craig Gordon missing now? Too dire a scenario to contemplate. Fecking horrific, actually.

Robbo is still the most irreplaceable, in my time, but all of the above are/were, too.

Consider "The only..." comment retracted. 😊

I still don't believe Soapy falls into that category, however.

no you are absolutely right - in fact he’s missed so many of our games since he has been at the club anyway.

it just feels sore he’s potentially going to leave for not much money when he could be worth loads. 

Fort Vallance

I'd rather keep him and try and get third than sell him now for 250k. What would make a difference is 250k and a decent sell on clause.

• davemclaren changed the title to Souttar signs pre-contract with Rangers (Super Thread)