Souttar signs pre-contract with Rangers (Super Thread)

Bazzas right boot

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Factuer Moi

• Bazzas right boot

It would take a stupid offer for us to let him go in January unless we have a suitable replacement already in place. The money on offer for finishing 3rd this season(if one of the top 3 win the Scottish cup) is at least 3 million and could end up being a lot more. Losing Soapy for 500k or something and not finishing 3rd would be a disaster for the club. Let him sign a pre contract with someone and then leave in the summer would be an option i would like to think we are looking at.

18 minutes ago, Boyces beard said:

It would take a stupid offer for us to let him go in January unless we have a suitable replacement already in place. The money on offer for finishing 3rd this season(if one of the top 3 win the Scottish cup) is at least 3 million and could end up being a lot more. Losing Soapy for 500k or something and not finishing 3rd would be a disaster for the club. Let him sign a pre contract with someone and then leave in the summer would be an option i would like to think we are looking at.

That’s what I think but we could still get third without him and get at least some money for him. 

A tricky one for Hearts. I won’t be overly critical whatever the club do. 

If we've already agreed a deal it would let us pursue targets we're interested in. Atkinson could be someone we've targeted with that cash. 

Another centre back and a striker with the Souttar cash would see us through till the end of the season.

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

That’s what I think but we could still get third without him and get at least some money for him. 

Yip your right, if we do let him go in January it's imperative that we bring in a good quality centre half as a replacement. We wont get anyone as good as Souttar though unless Joe can unearth a gem but thats more likely in the summer window than in January.

Naisys Tackle

His mind will be on not getting injured the last couple of months of his contract if he’s not signed a pca.  For that reason I would cash in but the balls in his court in terms of who he signs for. 

Just now, DH1986 said:

If there is a cash deal already agreed I doubt he’d play on Sunday tbh.

We should be able to get past RC with Moore for Souttar.

He's still a Hearts player and until that changes, he plays.

If he was to go it has more impact on the attacking side of the team. He gets the ball forward more efficiently than any of the other options in the squad. 

48 minutes ago, Boyces beard said:

If we charged him by the hour for physiotherapy time he'd be due US money.

4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

He's still a Hearts player and until that changes, he plays.

Neilson dropped Sow before a far bigger game than this knowing a deal had been agreed.

Pre Kingsley injury I wouldn’t be horrendously bothered if Souttar leaves, as I actually think Moore is a very capable central defender and play the RCB role with aplomb. But now with Kingsley looking to be out for a bit our options are dwindling. So we either go to a back 4, or stick with the back 5 that’s been working and insert Cochrane or Smith (or Haring) in at CB alongside Halkett and Moore. No Kingsley injury I’d still be confident if Souttar left, but now?

Just now, Chillidigits said:

If we charged him by the hour for physiotherapy time he'd be due US money.

Best we give him away for nout asap then 😉

Look at what happened with Dundee Utd when they sold Armstrong & GMS in Jan so they wouldn't go on a free.. We cannot risk missing 3rd place this season by selling him cheap, theres too much riding on it now with the automatic qualification. Any less than £3m is a bad deal for Hearts, I'd rather he signed a pre contract & left for nout in the Summer than get a "token" fee because for me he's absolutely irreplaceable to us in our push for Europe.

Jambo in Bathgate
2 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Look at what happened with Dundee Utd when they sold Armstrong & GMS in Jan so they wouldn't go on a free.. We cannot risk missing 3rd place this season by selling him cheap, theres too much riding on it now with the automatic qualification. Any less than £3m is a bad deal for Hearts, I'd rather he signed a pre contract & left for nout in the Summer than get a "token" fee because for me he's absolutely irreplaceable to us in our push for Europe.

There’s no point playing a player who has signed a pre-contract, especially one with Soutar’s injury history. He will be looking after his next contract not playing out his present one. Therefore it’s best to let him go now for money. One player doesn’t make a team. 

Just now, Jambo in Bathgate said:

There’s no point playing a player who has signed a pre-contract, especially one with Soutar’s injury history. He will be looking after his next contract not playing out his present one. Therefore it’s best to let him go now for money. One player doesn’t make a team. 

Rubbish, plenty of players don't down tools & give their all even when they know they're leaving. I've got faith that Soapy would give 100% for hearts until his contract ends after how we've looked after him through his injury woes & developed him, plus he'll want to keep playing well to ensure he keeps his place in the Scotland team ahead of the playoffs & possible WC campaign. One player doesn't necessarily make a team but one crucial player can turn draws/losses into 3 points & greatly help the cause over the course of a season & for me Soapy is that crucial player.

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, ramrod said:

There is no way we wil sell unless the offer is around a million quid, the chance of 3rd place and European football will guarantee we don't imo

I think it's more about how we replace him as opposed to the money. 

We have a new  RWB and Brandon is now getting fit so we can move Smith into centre half. 

If Moore stays, we have cover, if not we'll need cover especially if Kingsley is out. For example we sign Findlay or another. 

I think if we can get our ducks lined up then we'll be more than happy for him to leave for a modest fee. ( imo anything astound £500k.)

If we have no replacements lined up we are more Likley to sit tight as we'll need him and have no option. 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Rubbish, plenty of players don't down tools & give their all even when they know they're leaving. I've got faith that Soapy would give 100% for hearts until his contract ends after how we've looked after him through his injury woes & developed him, plus he'll want to keep playing well to ensure he keeps his place in the Scotland team ahead of the playoffs & possible WC campaign. One player doesn't necessarily make a team but one crucial player can turn draws/losses into 3 points & greatly help the cause over the course of a season & for me Soapy is that crucial player.

Nah, anyone working a notice period will have their head elsewhere. 

It's natural, even if you don't mean it. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
18 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Behave yourself ! We're not getting anywhere near 3 million quid 

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

We have a new  RWB and Brandon is now getting fit so we can move Smith into centre half. 

If Moore stays, we have cover, if not we'll need cover especially if Kingsley is out. For example we sign Findlay or another. 

I think if we can get our ducks lined up then we'll be more than happy for him to leave for a modest fee. ( imo anything astound £500k.)

If we have no replacements lined up we are more Likley to sit tight as we'll need him and have no option. 

Go along with that , one thing  in  our favour re the fee is a few clubs may think  the  best chance of getting him is by making the club a decent offer this window knowing we may accept it.

If  Soapy sits tight till the Summer without signing a pre contract there will be many clubs in for him .

Just now, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Behave yourself ! We're not getting anywhere near 3 million quid 

Then let him go for nout in summer & keep him for the rest of the season, it's not in our interests to sell our best defender with a guarantee of European football on the horizon

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, ramrod said:

Go along with that , one thing  in  our favour re the fee is a few clubs may think  the  best chance of getting him is by making the club a decent offer this window knowing we may accept it.

If  Soapy sits tight till the Summer without signing a pre contract there will be many clubs in for him .

Yeah, especially Stoke, they need a defender so may push the boat out a little. 

Gives us and Soapy a bit more leverage this window. 

Unless the wee dick has signed for the of. 

Bazzas right boot

Always a chance someone left field could buy him then loan him back to us for the season. 

If it was just to secure him now. 

Ex member of the SaS

Use the cash to buy four strikers. That way we score more than we let in.

( joke ) 

1 hour ago, Boyces beard said:

It's a funny one. One part of me would rather cash in on him in January than lose him for free. But as you say if it costs us 3rd, then depending on who wins the Scottish Cup, we might just screw ourselves out of £3 million+ for the sake of a rather nominal fee.

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

A lot of folk have been saying Smith to RCB. With Atkinson coming in to RWB, that could be the plan. 

possibly, CB now the position for smith.  He’s better with the game in front of him

Jambo in Bathgate
33 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

A precontract agreement can be torn up by either side before it becomes a full contract. It. Would be great if he gave 100% but I can’t see it when he knows that at the end of the season he will be tripling his income. Don’t think he’ll be making tackles like he did last Saturday on Griffiths. 

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

possibly, CB now the position for smith.  He’s better with the game in front of him

Certainly in terms of replacing soapy there’s no rush. Got to get the right player and spend it wisely, with Moore and Smith, there is enough there to sell soapy and still get 3rd 

I might get stick for saying this but I'd absolutely take Fontaine off of Dundee as cover. He probably wouldn't come as it would mean less playing time for him but he's 35 so he might be fine with a squad role.

He was one of their only players last weekend who looked like he was trying to play the game of football.

2 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

I might get stick for saying this but I'd absolutely take Fontaine off of Dundee as cover. He probably wouldn't come as it would mean less playing time for him but he's 35 so he might be fine with a squad role.

He was one of their only players last weekend who looked like he was trying to play the game of football.

He is an utter disaster and has been for a number of years...thankfully, more chance of me joining The Hearts than this bizarre shout...

File under 🤮🤢🤧

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Never mind "take stick" you should be hit with one for saying that. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

A_A wehatethehibs
16 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Is this some sort of sick joke?

jamboinglasgow
40 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

I know where your coming from, but selling Souttar is not the same as GMS & Armstrong being sold. Dundee United had a problems before and those were sold and losing them was the straw that broke the camel's back. Souttar is a blow to lose but he is not the vital cog in our team which means we would go downhill.

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

In a nutshell.

34 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

He’s a competent player in a team full of less competent cloggers. We can and (going by the last transfer window) will sign better. 

2 hours ago, Boyces beard said:

Agree 100%

4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I don't see why anyone would buy him in January when they can get him for nothing in the summer. He'll be here until his contract expires imo.

Any team down south looking for a match-ready, not to mention international, player who have a modest amount of cash isn't going to wait, methinks.

Edited by Wee Mikey

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Unless we plummet down the league after letting him go for sweeties😉

In past years if a player signed a pre contract there have been times they were sat out. Partly as punishment. What player would give 100% for Hearts if they have a juicy contract on offer six months down the line?  In Soapy’s case with his history of injuries that would be a genuine worry. 

11 minutes ago, Canscot said:

Unless we plummet down the league after letting him go for sweeties😉

In past years if a player signed a pre contract there have been times they were sat out. Partly as punishment. What player would give 100% for Hearts if they have a juicy contract on offer six months down the line?  In Soapy’s case with his history of injuries that would be a genuine worry. 

Player commitment when he knows he’s going is an issue to consider as well. Tricky one all round. 

Bazzas right boot
27 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I don't see why anyone would buy him in January when they can get him for nothing in the summer. He'll be here until his contract expires imo.

The might want him now. 🤷‍♂️

It's not really a brain teaser. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Souttar signs pre-contract with Rangers (Super Thread)