Nathaniel Atkinson - Aussie RB signs 3.5yr deal

Tom Hardy’s Dug

2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Can’t remember the story with him and Hearts but I think we pissed him off or he pissed us off so I doubt there would be any interest in him coming

It was all our fault that he moved to them.  We effed up big time in our meeting with him.  Thanks Mr Levein.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Cruyff

• JimmyCant

• GinRummy

3 minutes ago, EH11 2NL said:

Tbf I haven't, but not exactly excited about a guy that has already failed in Scotland only a few seasons ago (especially ex hibs). If we sign him then I'll support him, but was hoping we'd be looking at better. Highly doubt he's an improvement on Boyce, which is what we need. 

Well,  55 goals in 63 games for Melbourne City.  Plus 3/4 for Australia.

28 minutes ago, EH11 2NL said:

McClaren was absolutely shite at Hibs 🤣🤣

Plenty good players could have a spell at Hibs and look shite.  It IS Hibs and the their mindset and shitiness is probably contagious…looks like he is over it now.    He’s clearly a good player and has good energy.  I wouldn’t be against it if the club felt he’d be a good addition.  

2 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

Well,  55 goals in 63 games for Melbourne City.  Plus 3/4 for Australia.

Looks like he banged then in in Aus before hibs aswell, a gamble imo. 

36 minutes ago, EH11 2NL said:

McClaren was absolutely shite at Hibs 🤣🤣

I wouldn’t say so. Did well in his first season. Fell out of favour in his second season. Scored against Hearts Celtic and Rangers when he was with them. His record with Melbourne in the last 2 years is phenomenal 

Just now, EH11 2NL said:

Looks like he banged then in in Aus before hibs aswell, a gamble imo. 

In our price range, EVERY player is a gamble.  He's under contract till May 2022 so he might be a wee bit expensive for us.

23 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

It was all our fault that he moved to them.  We effed up big time in our meeting with him.  Thanks Mr Levein.

Looked back at this and it seems he’s from a Hearts family and would have preferred us. However Hibs made a better offer, we weren’t that fussy for him and Darmstadt said he had to go to Hibs

23 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

In our price range, EVERY player is a gamble.  He's under contract till May 2022 so he might be a wee bit expensive for us.

Signed an extension to 2024 so I think would cost more than we can afford and like some have said a bit of a risk based on has last time here

Just now, CAR said:

Signed an extension to 2024 so I think would cost more than we can afford and like some have said a bit of a risk based on has last time here

Didn't realise that to be honest.  Oh well, what could have been eh!!

35 minutes ago, EH11 2NL said:

Tbf I haven't, but not exactly excited about a guy that has already failed in Scotland only a few seasons ago (especially ex hibs). If we sign him then I'll support him, but was hoping we'd be looking at better. Highly doubt he's an improvement on Boyce, which is what we need. 

Matt Doherty. Cautionary tale in judging a player on loan at Hibs

1 minute ago, Heartsofgold said:

Didn't realise that to be honest.  Oh well, what could have been eh!!

Besides im holding out hope theres something in the Ayase Ueda rumour 🧐

Bazzas right boot

McLaren isn't better than Boyce. 

Anyone with eyes will have noticed this. 

Hopefully we are looking at better 

On one hand folk criticise Boyce and think  we need to look at better to improve.... then McLaren is mentioned.

:berra:

4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

On one hand folk criticise Boyce and think  we need to look at better to improve.... then McLaren is mentioned.

Boyce is a pretty low bar when you look at his numbers. I think we’ll sign 2 players in January who will beat his numbers by the end of the season. McLaren quite clearly won’t be one of them if he’s just extended.

1 hour ago, EH11 2NL said:

We've went from Savage looking for gems to talking about an ex hibs dud. Bad enough resigning players that failed at Hearts! 

Paul Hartley was an ex Hibs dud.

41 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Paul Hartley was an ex Hibs dud.

He was also the exception to the rule. If you think McLaren is on a par with Hartley you crack on 👍

5 minutes ago, EH11 2NL said:

He was also the exception to the rule. If you think McLaren is on a par with Hartley you crack on 👍

I haven't claimed that. Just that some players suit certain clubs more than others. Football is full of this.

2 hours ago, EH11 2NL said:

We've went from Savage looking for gems to talking about an ex hibs dud. Bad enough resigning players that failed at Hearts! 

Paul Hartley would disagree. 

8 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I haven't claimed that. Just that some players suit certain clubs more than others. Football is full of this.

Exacty and not everyone needs to be Paul Hartley (would be nice mind!)

Look at Barry McKay - not exactly set heather alight since left Rangers but he's a right good player

17 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Apart from Jamie Mac in OZ are there any other strikers folk know about about, with good scoring records (would say about 1 in 3 at least) who would be realistic for us to go for? Seems the Australian market is one I’d like us to continue to look at

Jamie Maclarens father Donald was at Hearts in the mid 70s, was a schoolboy international but never played for Hearts first team (far right)

CBFA04D2-F316-4A44-BB67-25B0A0E8EAD0.jpeg

scott herbertson
14 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Jamie Maclarens father Donald was at Hearts in the mid 70s, was a schoolboy international but never played for Hearts first team (far right)

CBFA04D2-F316-4A44-BB67-25B0A0E8EAD0.jpeg

I marked the guy in the middle in a University Wednesday afternoon game - I played for Wopsoc (the Italian society). He played for Lawsoc (law students).

We ran onto the pitch singing "Just one cornetto"

🙂

He ran past me a lot.

🥵

4 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

I marked the guy in the middle in a University Wednesday afternoon game - I played for Wopsoc (the Italian society). He played for Lawsoc (law students).

🙂

He ran past me a lot.

🥵

it sounds like you had more than just one cornetto

5 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

🙂

He ran past me a lot.

🥵

That’s David Johnston, Scotland Rugby player of the early 1980s, played a couple of games in Hearts first team in 1977

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

I hope we are looking at a Beni or McKay type signing. Meaning circumstances and good scouting get us a player who is a cut above who we have. In saying that, I quite like McLaren and he's better than Gnando or Henderson (though not Boyce) so I wouldn't be against it.

scott herbertson
3 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

That’s David Johnston, Scotland Rugby player of the early 1980s, played a couple of games in Hearts first team in 1977

yep, he was at Edinburgh Uni and played in the intra-mural games on the wednesday afternoons (probably not supposed to)

Edited by scott herbertson

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I hope we are looking at a Beni or McKay type signing. Meaning circumstances and good scouting get us a player who is a cut above who we have. In saying that, I quite like McLaren and he's better than Gnando or Henderson (though not Boyce) so I wouldn't be against it.

I wouldn't be against it, but not sure he improves us. 

He'd be a good option tho, different from Boyce. 

3 hours ago, Heartsofgold said:

How so ? Facts not opinions please

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

I wouldn't be against it, but not sure he improves us. 

He'd be a good option tho, different from Boyce. 

Boyce does a lot of work you wouldn't normally expect a centre forward to do. I can't honestly think of any we have had in the past that cover so much ground. It would improve us a lot to have an effective striker to put beside him, either in a tweak to our current formation or even to shove on for the last half an hour.

As an aside, I'm at work and the hibs fan I work beside reckons McLaren left hibs because he was homesick. So maybe a non starter.

4 minutes ago, john thomas said:

How so ? Facts not opinions please

He found Levein less than enthusiastic. Levein made a token offer. Hibs made a better one. He was more impressed by Hibs approach and his club told him he could go to Hibs but not Hearts

I couldn't care less if he once played for Hibs, if he's a clinical goal scorer, I wouldn't cut my nose off to spite my face. 

This team is tame as **** when it comes to converting chances and it's probably cost us from challenging the OF. 

section s heart
4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Boyce does a lot of work you wouldn't normally expect a centre forward to do. I can't honestly think of any we have had in the past that cover so much ground. It would improve us a lot to have an effective striker to put beside him, either in a tweak to our current formation or even to shove on for the last half an hour.

As an aside, I'm at work and the hibs fan I work beside reckons McLaren left hibs because he was homesick. So maybe a non starter.

Have been thinking the same. If we have fully effective wing backs (like Akka?), the need for 2 winger types reduces and you can play more of a 352 or 3412. Can still have McKay in a free role behind or around Boyce and a number 9, and support of Akka and Cochrane wide. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Boyce is a pretty low bar when you look at his numbers. I think we’ll sign 2 players in January who will beat his numbers by the end of the season. McLaren quite clearly won’t be one of them if he’s just extended.

Tbh, When you look at Boyces "numbers" they the excellent. 

2 minutes ago, section s heart said:

Have been thinking the same. If we have fully effective wing backs (like Akka?), the need for 2 winger types reduces and you can play more of a 352 or 3412. Can still have McKay in a free role behind or around Boyce and a number 9, and support of Akka and Cochrane wide. 

Yep agreed.  Also means our midfield of Dev and Beni/Haring makes way more sense in that they're holding it together as wingbacks play high, CHs step out and we have three ahead of them looking to be offensive too.

I quite like the 343 thing but fact is we just don't have enough attack minded players in it, so the 3 at the top basically get left to do that work themselves, often against a 9 man brick wall.

Getting someone in closer to Boyce and some pace from deep wide would be brilliant, McKay basically floating around looking for pockets of space where he can, Dev and Beni the glue but also getting up and playing in the final 40 yards, Souttar and Kingsley stepping out with the ball.

It all adds up for me.  That second CF is the final piece.  I'd try Walker if we can't find one.

Those saying we need to replace Boyce don't get how good he is IMO.  We need to  help him is what we need to do.

bringonthesevco
2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Low bar when it comes to numbers ?? 23 goals in 47 games.  I'm really looking forward to a signing a striker with a better than 50% rate ..

19 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

He found Levein less than enthusiastic. Levein made a token offer. Hibs made a better one. He was more impressed by Hibs approach and his club told him he could go to Hibs but not Hearts

Levein , or any other manager , will/would talk to loads of players they're not desperate to sign . 

Could easily be interpreted that we offered what we thought he was worth . Hibs offered more . Did ok but not an unqualified success 

Not sure if that makes Hibs right and us wrong ?

I know it will to some 

2 hours ago, john thomas said:

Levein , or any other manager , will/would talk to loads of players they're not desperate to sign . 

Could easily be interpreted that we offered what we thought he was worth . Hibs offered more . Did ok but not an unqualified success 

I know it will to some 

Apparently he has signed an extended contract with MC until 2024.

Pointless discussion in that case as he is valued at over £1 million. 

19 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Apparently he has signed an extended contract with MC until 2024.

Pointless discussion in that case as he is valued at over £1 million. 

I know . Suspect we are not looking at him anyway.

The window is almost open and , again , nada from ITKers 

Wouldn't mind a few rumours from the fantasists even 

19 minutes ago, john thomas said:

I know . Suspect we are not looking at him anyway.

The window is almost open and , again , nada from ITKers 

Wouldn't mind a few rumours from the fantasists even 

Zap Knight for a £23,512 fee I hear 

5 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Zap Knight for a £23,512 fee I hear 

Ffs that was supposed to be £19,512. Kids were up all night fussing, that’s my excuse.

3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

See, things like this are funny to me. The striker you describe in that post is not what I see at all. Would be interesting to see the miles covered stats though. I personally think he’s weak running into channels and hold up play. And his work outside the box has some left to be desired. But in the box he’s pretty good with a shot (would like better, mind) and that’s the main thing for a striker. I tend to see him isolated more than anything, so odd you see it the opposite. Funny that.

2 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

See, things like this are funny to me. The striker you describe in that post is not what I see at all. Would be interesting to see the miles covered stats though. I personally think he’s weak running into channels and hold up play. And his work outside the box has some left to be desired. But in the box he’s pretty good with a shot (would like better, mind) and that’s the main thing for a striker. I tend to see him isolated more than anything, so odd you see it the opposite. Funny that.

He is isolated. More so last season than this. I don’t know if I see the opposite from you but certainly view it differently.  He drops into the midfield looking for the ball and does a lot more defensive work than most CF’s. It would be interesting to see how much distance he covers in a match. I’m sure our resident statto’s could get some numbers up.

7 hours ago, Smithee said:

I don't think Cammy or Natty Akka have had full caps yet, they were both in the Olympic squad which I think is U23.

The Aussie national team's starting to look like a pretty decent level.

Yep! I meant McLaren when I said he plays for the Socceroos, but the Australian National side are looking decent. 

I'd take Jamie Maclaren tbh, he's scoring goals at a scary rate. If he'd not played for Hibs folk would be choking at the bit for us to sign him. Last season had more goals than games! Clearly playing at a level below his ability. 

Beyond that, Devlin has been incredible. Atkinson looks really good from the highlights, so why not? He'd be great competition for Boyce and you know if you give him chances in front of goal, he's putting them away. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
6 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Matt Doherty. Cautionary tale in judging a player on loan at Hibs

Vaz te also

4 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

🙂

He ran past me a lot.

🥵

WOPsoc for Italians?? 😂I presume it’s changed it’s name now…

40 minutes ago, OTT said:

I'd take Jamie Maclaren tbh, he's scoring goals at a scary rate. If he'd not played for Hibs folk would be choking at the bit for us to sign him. Last season had more goals than games! Clearly playing at a level below his ability. 

Beyond that, Devlin has been incredible. Atkinson looks really good from the highlights, so why not? He'd be great competition for Boyce and you know if you give him chances in front of goal, he's putting them away. 

Aye, he scores goals. The A league is dugshit tbf but he's pretty clinical. 

10 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Yeah, I get its not the highest standard, but its defo improving and he must be flying with confidence at the moment which is what you want in an attacking player. 

Other thing to point out is that he didn't exactly fail at Hibs. he was 8 in 15, then went 1 in 15 which is concerning but IIRC Neil Lennon was falling out with everyone and I think there was an injury. I'm sure Lennon totally fell out with both him and Kamberi?

I'm not trying to bend over backwards to justify why we should sign him, just think that he's well worth a punt, especially given he's out of contract 2022 so is in token fee/ free transfer territory. With Devlin and now Atkinson we're building a bit of an Aussie contingent which might help. 

Good thing is now though that we can have faith that proper due dilligence is being done on our prospective signings, so whoever we do go for will have stats etc. backing them up. 

scott herbertson
1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Vaz te also

WOPsoc for Italians?? 😂I presume it’s changed it’s name now…

It was - we had 5 Tonys and 3 Franks, as well as one of the Pia brothers in our team - the old non PC days. Other teams in the league included Arselona and DC Milanda

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Be honest. how many A league games have you watched lately ! 

6 hours ago, john thomas said:

I know it will to some 

No problem here. It’s not like we missed out on a total diamond and it’s a total waste of a conversation if he has extended anyway.

• cosanostra changed the title to Nathaniel Atkinson - Aussie RB signs 3.5yr deal