• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• NANOJAMBO

• Malinga the Swinga

• Mikey1874

The Mighty Thor

39 degrees tomorrow. That'll be a hard shift in the field.

You might see the Aussies put the hammer down tomorrow if they survive the early pace onslaught.

Malinga the Swinga
5 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Selection and tactics yet again found wanting. Silverwood didn't have the baws to appear in front of the media so he sent out Graeme Thorpe to face the music.

You can see what will happen. Australia will bat on until after tea and make 500. The pink ball will swing like a boomerang and England will be rolled over for 180. Hope I'm wrong but this could be a three day job.

Let's hope your right. Aussie attack weakened though so England have a chance. They need to get Australia out for 350 max and bat for 2 days. Still say, get Root early and England will fold.

The Mighty Thor

Decent morning session for England.

The aussies will be looking to get to nightfall and then probably have a go at the England top order after tea

Malinga the Swinga

England are like a team 2 down before they start innings. Burns and Hameed aren't good enough for international cricket. Burns, in particular, is out almost same way every innings and he doesn't look like has learned anything.

Lighting strikes take them off pitch which is a good break for them. If Root goes cheaply, will they fold once more?

1 minute ago, Sooperstar said:

Follow on not enforced. Not sure about that one. Draw potential.

That IS a strange one. Aussie bowlers hardly overworked and <20 overs to go today, innit?

2 minutes ago, Boof said:

That IS a strange one. Aussie bowlers hardly overworked and <20 overs to go today, innit?

Think time might beat them for getting all of the remaining overs in.

It's become the norm not to enforce the follow on when there is enough time in the game. It works the England bowlers again when they have a no win situation and Aus batsmen can bat with freedom and decalre when they are ready. Aus spinner gets to bowl on a 4th/5th day pitch too.

49 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Follow on not enforced. Not sure about that one. Draw potential.

Get a quick 200, declare, no way England getting near that unless the weather intervenes. Perhaps a nod towards the tv coverage 

Still looks a good batting strip so the Aussies will take advantage and then hope the pitch provides more assistance. Both Malan and Root batted well on a good wicket. Pity about the fragility of the rest of the batting. 

Geoff Kilpatrick

I'd like to thank Cricket Australia for not only telling the petty kingdom of WA to Foxtrot Oscar, but also for scheduling the 3rd Test for Boxing Day. Technically, the Ashes will still be alive when I'm there...

....God, England suck so bad!

Footballfirst

I first woke up at 6.30 this morning, checked the score on my phone and it was 140-2 at lunch.  I went back to sleep and when I finally got up and switched on the TV, the score was 204-8.  I thought that I had to be watching a replay and that play had been stopped, but no, England's middle order had collapsed again.

There are no easy, obvious solutions for the England test team. 

But certain ways they have taken haven't worked. Jos Butler for a start. How long do they stick with him because he is 'the right sort' for the dressing room. Ben Foakes seemed obvious 2 years ago. Even that would be a start. 

On the technical side, the shot showcased again today for the key wickets needs to be banned. 

Olly Pope, Chris Woakes, playing a spinner. 

But its not obvious anything is going to be changed. 

Footballfirst
5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

There are no easy, obvious solutions for the England test team. 

But certain ways they have taken haven't worked. Jos Butler for a start. How long do they stick with him because he is 'the right sort' for the dressing room. Ben Foakes seemed obvious 2 years ago. Even that would be a start. 

On the technical side, the shot showcased again today for the key wickets needs to be banned. 

Olly Pope, Chris Woakes, playing a spinner. 

But its not obvious anything is going to be changed. 

I agree. Butler's batting average (55 tests) is 32.9, Foakes (8 tests) is 31.5.  That small difference is more than made up by a single dropped catch or byes conceded.

As good as Stokes is, I don't think his batting is good enough to be coming in at no 5. His average of 36.6 is excellent for an all rounder, but test class batsmen should be averaging 40+, international class at 45+ and world class 50+.

That said, it is not surprising, as England only has Joe Root who is a world class batsman, averaging just over 50 and Malan at 42.5. After that, Burns at 30.9, Hameed at 33.6, Pope at 30.6, Bairstow at 33.7, Crawley at 28.3, Denly at 29.5, Lawrence at 27.2 and Sibley at 28.9 just aren't good enough.

Australia to bat until tea tomorrow and then have best part of 25 overs at England under the lights. By then, no doubt the openers will have gone and it will be down to Root and Malan again. Joe Root must be getting seriously fed up with this.

Malinga the Swinga

Malan is deceptive. He scores runs when batting with Root, yet as soon as Root goes, Malan meekly follows. To be top batsmen, you need to be able to stand on your own two feet and Malan cannot do that.

England have planned the last few years specially for the Ashes. You would never know.

Time to take the captaincy from JR, and allow him to concentrate on his game. 

Edited by ri Alban

2017 Deja vu at the Adelaide Oval. A battery of right arm medium pacers will not win in Australia. A mediocre batting line up (Root excepted) means a 5-0 is looking likely (as Glenn McGrath always predicts).

51 minutes ago, dougiea said:

2017 Deja vu at the Adelaide Oval. A battery of right arm medium pacers will not win in Australia. A mediocre batting line up (Root excepted) means a 5-0 is looking likely (as Glenn McGrath always predicts).

Meanwhile Jonathan Agnew slags off the Aussies as "mediocre".

England's batting line is shockingly poor. 

The Mighty Thor

The Aussies moving the scoreboard on nicely. 

I think we'll see them up around the 500 then they'll set about England this evening

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

England can still turn this series around. 🤞

Currently 3-70 and all over the place. Lyon is immense this morning. 

Just now, NANOJAMBO said:

Currently 3-70 and all over the place. Lyon is immense this morning. 

I cannae watch.  😨 

Root needs to be put at number one with Malan at 2. Burns is a bombscare.

Oooooft - Root just taken a sore one.

Commentator reckons just above the crown jewels :rofl:

Aye easy to laugh when it's someone else :lol: 

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, 132goals1958 said:

Root out in last over. Stokes should have tried to manufacture a single and take him of strike for the last over

Root could also have opted to "retire hurt" and save himself for the final day. 

35 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Root could also have opted to "retire hurt" and save himself for the final day. 

Agree. A night-watchman with a limited time to survive was the right call. It was crucial that Root and Stokes were together for the final day. 

Malinga the Swinga
17 hours ago, ri Alban said:

England can still turn this series around. 🤞

They really can't. 

All this planning and looks like their selection is based on drawing names out of a hat. No spinner worth his salt, no openers who can be relied on, a wicket keeper who can't be relied on, a captain who has to do everything but doesn't look comfortable being in charge and they still rely on Broad and Jimmy to get wickets.

Stokes has gone through a lot, and while he is capable of outstanding performances, his body is playing up and it won't hold up enough to last test after test.

Going to be difficult to come back if they go two nil down especially if Aussies get Hazelwood and Cummings back.

6 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

They really can't. 

All this planning and looks like their selection is based on drawing names out of a hat. No spinner worth his salt, no openers who can be relied on, a wicket keeper who can't be relied on, a captain who has to do everything but doesn't look comfortable being in charge and they still rely on Broad and Jimmy to get wickets.

Stokes has gone through a lot, and while he is capable of outstanding performances, his body is playing up and it won't hold up enough to last test after test.

Going to be difficult to come back if they go two nil down especially if Aussies get Hazelwood and Cummings back.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952c1626fcd5e96daefb1

I do agree. But still, pishing in people's cornflakes is very bad. :)

Malinga the Swinga

All done and dusted. England hung around but losing Root last night was killer blow.

Buttler found novel way if throwing all his work away but better team won.

Sounds like there has been some 'discussions' inside the England camp. Root clearly not happy with both bowling and batting. Just looks seriously fed up with continuously being asked to do it all himself. In saying that, he does have the final say on team selection and by choosing to omit Wood and Leach, he hasn't done himself any favours.

Blaming the bowlers :facepalm: The Field dropped 10 chances and the batting attack couldn't accumulate runs on a flat pitch. I think Broad and Anderson will be having a few slaps of their captain.

Edited by ri Alban

Malinga the Swinga
20 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Why is Foakes not playing?

Cause they prefer Buttler. No idea when the guys outwith those in test team last played proper game.