The Ashes......

JWL

Starts at midnight tonight. Both teams preparations hit by poor weather down under and by controversy over racial issues and historic tweets. No Jimmy Anderson for England in Brisbane; looks like they're saving him for the Day/Nighter in Adelaide.

Think Australia just look too strong, especially if Root doesn't shore up the England batting, although you could say the same about Steve Smith for Australia.

Anyway, going for 3-1 to The Aussies. Can't wait.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• NANOJAMBO

• Malinga the Swinga

• Mikey1874

Malinga the Swinga

Hoping for English humiliation and whitewash. Anderson & Broad will be useless unless there's a green pitch on cloudy day.

Get Root early and who's going to get runs for England?

8 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Hoping for English humiliation and whitewash. Anderson & Broad will be useless unless there's a green pitch on cloudy day.

Get Root early and who's going to get runs for England?

Neither is playing : Anderson being saved , not sure about Broad. 

heartgarfunkel
11 minutes ago, JWL said:

Hello darkness my old friend

10 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

<uncorks another bottle of red>

3 down. 

Joe Root out for nowt. 

8 minutes ago, JWL said:

Sensational stuff from The Aussies. Down to Stokes now.

Tis an evening for a claret sesh.  That first ball...

Stokes or bust

9 minutes ago, heartgarfunkel said:

Tis an evening for a claret sesh.  That first ball...

Stokes or bust

Aldi, Finest/Extra Speical Valpolicella : very nice. 

I have a feeling Stokes is going to have a Botham moment. 

heartgarfunkel
2 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Aldi, Finest/Extra Speical Valpolicella : very nice. 

I have a feeling Stokes is going to have a Botham moment. 

Cheers, will grab that next time in 👍

8 minutes ago, heartgarfunkel said:

Cheers, will grab that next time in 👍

Valpolicella Ripasso "Specially Selected".  2019.

Going down a treat right now. 😄

2 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Was there in 2019 when we were on holiday down there. It's a bit tired looking unlike Melbourne or Sydney. 

We walked from our hotel through the Botanics and over the river. Took about 20 minutes. 

My favourite Australian city.

I like Brisbane, it feels like a city with ambition and a buzz about it. The experience is great at the Gabba. Wander around and enjoy the food and drinks before you take your seat. 

Malinga the Swinga

Good start from England. Win toss and bowled out cheaply. I guess until Australia bat, you don't know how good pitch is, but we'll find out soon enough.

Looks like Wood, Robinson and Woakes will need to bowl well. Stokes hasn't bowled for ages, not serious bowling, and Leach, well he's no Ashwin.

So, it's England's turn to have a bowl in about half  an hour. Early wickets a must and with a bit of weather around you never know. Can see The Aussies sticking it to them though.

One early wicket raising a false dawn for England and that "2nd wicket" is ruled out for a "no ball".

I reckon Oz will grind this out comfortably. 

Footballfirst

Everything going in the Aussies direction with the 2nd wicket partnership and Head's century in the final session.

England of course have contributed to their own downfall, underprepared going into the test, missed chances, no balls and Leitch being hit out the attack going for 95 runs off 11 overs.  Injury concerns too about Robinson and Stokes.

England are going to need a Botham/Stokes type miracle to avoid defeat. 

52 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Everything going in the Aussies direction with the 2nd wicket partnership and Head's century in the final session.

England of course have contributed to their own downfall, underprepared going into the test, missed chances, no balls and Leitch being hit out the attack going for 95 runs off 11 overs.  Injury concerns too about Robinson and Stokes.

England are going to need a Botham/Stokes type miracle to avoid defeat. 

And also opting to bat first on a green wicket and leaving Broad out. Australia come out on day 2 in perfect conditions. The way things are going an innings defeat is likely. At least the English bowlers will be fresh for the 2nd test 

The Mighty Thor
6 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

And also opting to bat first on a green wicket and leaving Broad out. Australia come out on day 2 in perfect conditions. The way things are going an innings defeat is likely. At least the English bowlers will be fresh for the 2nd test 

Aye the Aussies will stretch it out to lunch then get in about them in the afternoon. 

Be lucky to last to the 4th day. 

A Boy Named Crow

Biggest worry for me is the weather.  It's a La Niña summer here this year,  expect plenty of "rain stopped play" moments across the series!

3 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

They may well be but with Stokes now carrying a knock they will become ever more reliant on Broad and Anderson. This is the James Anderson who now only has one innings of decent bowling in him and a Day/Night Test which England thinks suit them but who were comprehensively defeated at the same venue last time in 2017.

44 minutes ago, JWL said:

They may well be but with Stokes now carrying a knock they will become ever more reliant on Broad and Anderson. This is the James Anderson who now only has one innings of decent bowling in him and a Day/Night Test which England thinks suit them but who were comprehensively defeated at the same venue last time in 2017.

Together with their abysmal record in Australia which is akin to our visits to Darkheid and Castle Greyskull. Was hoping England would get off to a decent start but suspect the series will be one sided yet again unless the La Nina weather intervention plays a part.

3 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Biggest worry for me is the weather.  It's a La Niña summer here this year,  expect plenty of "rain stopped play" moments across the series!

Won't matter if England can't last 50 overs

2 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

Together with their abysmal record in Australia which is akin to our visits to Darkheid and Castle Greyskull. Was hoping England would get off to a decent start but suspect the series will be one sided yet again unless the La Nina weather intervention plays a part.

England strategically didn't pick Anderson for this test and I'm not sure why Broad didn't play but their experience will have a huge impact in the 2nd test.

The 1st test was a batting shambles from England but given the total lack of warm up matches beforehand, it's hardly  a major shock. 

I think Oz will win the series but England will get better with bat & ball, I'm sure. 

1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

England strategically didn't pick Anderson for this test and I'm not sure why Broad didn't play but their experience will have a huge impact in the 2nd test.

The 1st test was a batting shambles from England but given the total lack of warm up matches beforehand, it's hardly  a major shock. 

I think Oz will win the series but England will get better with bat & ball, I'm sure. 

Not picking Broad was just incredible. How many times did he get Warner last time? Crazy decision 

Building up nicely now. Fair play to Root and Malan for that partnership but still some way behind. Hopefully a quick couple of wickets tonight to put the pressure back on.

I didn't stay up to watch it but did turn on the Ashes Daily at 8am for the highlights. The ****wits all sat around talking about how England had bounced back before showing the highlights. Spoiler Alert! It's like saying "look away now if you don't want to know the score in Hearts big win over Rangers earlier today"

Looks like normal service is resumed. Beginning to understand why the England team that won the Ashes whilst the Aussies team were too old all got gongs...Hibs must be wondering why they don't get knighthoods on the occasions they win a derby...

9 minutes ago, Steak said:

Well there's the inevitable England collapse

Yep 3 quick wickets have more or less finished it. Well set yesterday but unable to consolidate on a good start.Root,s departure when he should have left it means it’s just a matter of time. Might just go to my kip now 

A Boy Named Crow
21 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Root holds key for them. If he scores well, they have chance. Without him, they fall apart.

I reckon England are rooted, aye 

Lots of hope for England around tonight's 'pink ball' test (4am start) with people saying Broad and Anderson will be dangerous.

It's just that Australia have won all 8 of the 'day / night' tests they have played and England have lost by big margins in all 3 they have played overseas. 

3 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

My Adelaide source tells me that Broad will not play. 

The pitch is dry and will be conducive to spin so Leach will play.

Forecast is for a hot one and that will have a bearing on the surface.

That will be a mistake. Broad has Warner's number from around the wicket. 

Surely they can't pick the wrong team twice. If Broad is not selected then Australia will have the bunting out.

I hope my source, who I cannot name, is wrong.

Did you meet Shane Warne before or after the hair transplant?

3 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

My Adelaide source tells me that Broad will not play. 

The pitch is dry and will be conducive to spin so Leach will play.

Forecast is for a hot one and that will have a bearing on the surface.

That will be a mistake. Broad has Warner's number from around the wicket. 

Surely they can't pick the wrong team twice. If Broad is not selected then Australia will have the bunting out.

I hope my source, who I cannot name, is wrong.

I have received the exact same information. Can't believe that Broad won't play though, maybe time for Root to back his own capabilities with the ball and leave Leach in the hut where he should be.

13 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

You're not my source are you ?

11 hours ago, JWL said:

Ha ha........no, but maybe we both have an Uncle George in Melbourne.

Uncle George giving duff info again 😉