Woodburn - home for just after Xmas?

Tom Hardy’s Dug

9 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Played on Sunday like he just didn’t fancy it.

Hopefully stays in on Saturday night to avoid this again as Sunday's are not his best day of the week.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Agentjambo

• HeartsandonlyHearts

• rudi must stay

• daavojaay

• 3 weeks later...

Thought he did alright today! Ok the goal was a deflection but the touch he took to get the ball down was excellent.

6 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Needs to do that most weeks. Superb today. A lack of talent was never the issue.

Prefers the quiet of an empty stadium 🏟 

1 minute ago, Agentjambo said:

Two decent games out of 16 isn’t good enough.

3. And you wouldn’t get rid immediately after one of them surely. 

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

3. And you wouldn’t get rid immediately after one of them surely. 

I’d try for two forwards in January.I only think McKay and Boyce are up to the Job going forward.

Just now, Agentjambo said:

I’d try for two forwards in January.I only think McKay and Boyce are up to the Job going forward.

Don’t necessarily think you’re wrong. Woodburn needs to show it more often but the talent is clearly there. Gino and GMS look like their inconsistency will keep them on the bench at best. Don’t get me wrong, most wingers are inconsistent and either could go on a run of MOTM performances but it’s sparse reward from them most of the time. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

Don’t necessarily think you’re wrong. Woodburn needs to show it more often but the talent is clearly there. Gino and GMS look like their inconsistency will keep them on the bench at best. Don’t get me wrong, most wingers are inconsistent and either could go on a run of MOTM performances but it’s sparse reward from them most of the time. 

I do think McKay should be chipping in with more goals.If you are going to have a successful front 3 they all have to contribute with goals.

To criticize his ability is batshit bonkers but I don't think there's anything wrong in calling into question his desire.

Looked really up for it today but hasn't in past games

I'd be trying to buy him because there's no way Klopp would accept his inconsistencies. Having him tied down might be the boot up the ass he needs to push on.

36 minutes ago, VALDOS' said:

I don't think he's a long term solution, as others have said just doesn't do enough on a consistent basis

I still think he could be once the wheels get spinning

5 hours ago, VALDOS' said:

I don't think he's a long term solution, as others have said just doesn't do enough on a consistent basis

What forward do we have that plays up-to your standards every week ? 

6 hours ago, Agentjambo said:

Woodburn has way more goals and assists than Mackay 🤷‍♂️

That’s what counts 

Thanks for the goal today, hopefully a consistent upturn in performances is around the corner? Have slated him in the past but he played well today tbf.

Much better from Woodburn yesterday, do not mind if he stays for the rest of the season, although he has not exactly carried us. Seems to find it difficult to get involved sometimes ( maybe when along with Boyce ). Hopefully getting used to the Scottish game now and yesterday was a turning point for him. Plenty games coming up after the break and we will need the depth in our squad to give us advantage over the likes of Hibs, Aberdeen, Motherwell......Still think there is better to come from us and regards third place that we are in the driving seat. We had quite a few changes yesterday, but another valuable 3 pts and Ross County will take points off our rivals IMO. A very satisfactory first half of the season.

9 hours ago, NB GIN said:

Woodburn has way more goals and assists than Mackay 🤷‍♂️

That’s what counts 

McKay's one of our best players. The reason he doesn't have more assists is the quality of finishing.

55 minutes ago, SuperAustin said:

Joe Savage said he collapsed just after the dundee utd game 

Think it was at memorial at haymarket 

Oh aye that's right, it was on the stream

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

McKay's one of our best players. The reason he doesn't have more assists is the quality of finishing.

I agree with this, 100 percent. @Smithee you're onto something here. 

McKay's angles are a nightmare for defenders, and his passing is good. Finding a finisher who can work with his play would lock down third place, maybe even mount a challenge for second. 

3 minutes ago, Deodato said:

I agree with this, 100 percent. @Smithee you're onto something here. 

McKay's angles are a nightmare for defenders, and his passing is good. Finding a finisher who can work with his play would lock down third place, maybe even mount a challenge for second. 

I was thinking earlier, and we saw this with the first goal yesterday, he played really well in the lead up, got the assist to the assist. He does a lot of that, involved just before the decisive moment. His movement on the ball drags players about and, to his credit, he usually finds a man.

His crossing is good, his corners are generally good and land in the right areas. I think he's superb and I totally agree with you.

Woodburn seems to do better when he's played more centrally, as opposed to being stuck out wide. I think a 4231 would suit him, in an attacking midfield role.

Not really lived up to our expectations this season but looked good yesterday. Hopefully more performances like that to come from him and get a bit of consistency.

Guest ToqueJambo
4 hours ago, Smithee said:

Brilliant player. We'd be top of the league if McKay's finishing was as good as the rest of his play, never mind the finishing of the other players. That's what the bigger budgets of the OF get them - more certainty and consistency in their players' end product.

Edited by ToqueJambo

20 hours ago, Agentjambo said:

I do think McKay should be chipping in with more goals.If you are going to have a successful front 3 they all have to contribute with goals.

I am sure it is just a matter of time for him with goals. He does so much good work though and spots passes others don't. That alone is worth his starting place.

5 hours ago, Smithee said:

I agree but it’s goals and assists that count winning games 

Big fan off McKay but he really needs to up the finishing it’s awful 

23 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

Woodburn seems to do better when he's played more centrally, as opposed to being stuck out wide. I think a 4231 would suit him, in an attacking midfield role.

Not really lived up to our expectations this season but looked good yesterday. Hopefully more performances like that to come from him and get a bit of consistency.

Absolutely agree 100%

Guest ToqueJambo
12 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I am sure it is just a matter of time for him with goals. He does so much good work though and spots passes others don't. That alone is worth his starting place.

Still think Beni has been our best signing, but we really clicked as a team when McKay arrived. The comment about the finishing of others this season is spot on. We missed a bucketload of chances in his first full game for us against RC and many more after.

Player of the year still likely to be Gordon obviously, but Beni and McKay will be not far behind if they keep up their form.

I think a couple of sharp attacking players will help Woodburn and McKay. 

Often there just aren't the options. 

Edited by Mikey1874

50 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

I have been saying this for a while now. I have my doubts that we will ever see the best of him if we ask him to play in a wide role. Playing in the #10 role would be much more suited to his skill set.

1 hour ago, NB GIN said:

I know what you are saying. I wouldn't go as far as awful yet though. He almost always looks for the pass.  He's not got that ruthlessness about wanting to score himself. He's set up loads of goal scoring chances, much more of them should be in the assist column.

6 hours ago, NB GIN said:

It's goals that count.  That's all.  Not assists. A team can score 5 goals in a game, each of them a finish from a cross or pass from a teammate, so the team between them has 5 goals and 5 assists.  If the opposition score 6 solo goals where there's no assists involved at all, the team that's got 5 goals and 5 assists loses to the team with 6 goals and 0 assists. Why? Because only goals count, not assists! 

Having said that, assists are important in getting goals, but so is all the other good play that comes before the official assist.  McKay has played a big part in quite a few of our goals this season, and whether he scored, provided the assist, or did everything else up to the assist, those goals all counted just the same, and wouldn't have happened without his involvement. 

1 hour ago, FarmerTweedy said:

It's goals that count.  That's all.  Not assists. A team can score 5 goals in a game, each of them a finish from a cross or pass from a teammate, so the team between them has 5 goals and 5 assists.  If the opposition score 6 solo goals where there's no assists involved at all, the team that's got 5 goals and 5 assists loses to the team with 6 goals and 0 assists. Why? Because only goals count, not assists! 

Having said that, assists are important in getting goals, but so is all the other good play that comes before the official assist.  McKay has played a big part in quite a few of our goals this season, and whether he scored, provided the assist, or did everything else up to the assist, those goals all counted just the same, and wouldn't have happened without his involvement. 

I’m not sure if I understand this post. An assist is a goal. We are third top scorers, third best goal difference and third in the league. The end. 

9 hours ago, Rudolf said:

I’m not sure if I understand this post. An assist is a goal. We are third top scorers, third best goal difference and third in the league. The end. 

You don't get assists without goals, but you get goals without assists. Only the goals count.

The point though was really that NB was pretty much writing off McKay's contributions because he's not scored and not had any assists either, with the insistence that only goals and assists count, which is both factually inaccurate and also drivel!

Thought Woodburn was very good on Sunday.  He has an excellent first touch.  Just a bit of quality required on the end product.

Tokyo Drifter
On 26/12/2021 at 19:44, Agentjambo said:

I kind of think McKay will start to score regularly once he gets the first. It's a shame the one he did get was chalked off.