Woodburn - home for just after Xmas?

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I like Woodburn and if he was our player I would want us to persevere.

I also don’t know what he is costing us.

But if him going back to Liverpool in the winter break allowed us to get a new player in who would take that?

I would.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Agentjambo

• HeartsandonlyHearts

• rudi must stay

• daavojaay

No need to get shot of him, not sure if he fits into what Robbie is asking him to do in a game away to Livi, he should of been on the bench.

Only my opinion though, pre match  Benched or out of the sqaud for two games may work but can we afford to miss out playing against Rangers. Different type of opposition, may allow him a bit of freedom. I up to me i would bench him.

Even if the cost is small, Woodburn has been a massive disappointment and offered very little. He doesn't look like improving and we can't afford passengers in our squad.

I would rather he returned to his parent club, it just hasn't worked out for him or Hearts. 

InternationalJambo

Would keep as he’s clearly a very silky player but the laddie needs a rocket up his arse. Is clearly used to far too much time on the ball that you get down south & he hasn’t tried rectifying that at all. Think Mceneff looks the far better option at the moment. 

I see nothing in him to warrant keeping him beyond January unless he starts to show he’s interested. He looked great the 1st couple of games he played bit since then nothing, Dundee United aside. If he is on big wages here then let him go and bring in someone else for his position. 

HeartsandonlyHearts
2 minutes ago, cookieboy said:

scoring the winner on 3rd January 

I’d be flabbergasted if he makes even the bench. Needs a kick up the @$$. At least three times today got caught in possession when I could see from my couch what was happening. Slower than a month of Sundays right now.

2 minutes ago, InternationalJambo said:

Would keep as he’s clearly a very silky player but the laddie needs a rocket up his arse. Is clearly used to far too much time on the ball that you get down south & he hasn’t tried rectifying that at all. Think Mceneff looks the far better option at the moment. 

Who’s going to give him the rocket?  When you aren’t really committed to your loan club would you respond to the manager if you don’t have the correct attitude on the first place?

If he just had a little heart, desire and tenacity to match his ability he’d be our main attacking player.  

lost in space

Trouble is, nobody seems to know where to play him. He is not a striker or a winger and doesnt seem to have the passing ability of a number 10.  I wonder where he thinks he should play. Think he was a striker when younger but doesnt look like one now.

At first, I thought he just needed to sharpen up and adjust to the quicker pace here but he has had enough chances for us all to see that he cant or wont adjust.

Seems to want to take an eternity to get up to speed in a game. How many times recently he’s had a decent ball played through to him and his first touch looks like someone who’s never kicked a ball for a couple of weeks. Felt sorry for him getting the hook after 25 mins but credit to Neilson for the early sub 

InternationalJambo
6 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Who’s going to give him the rocket?  When you aren’t really committed to your loan club would you respond to the manager if you don’t have the correct attitude on the first place?

If he just had a little heart, desire and tenacity to match his ability he’d be our main attacking player.  

As he’s out of contract at the end of the season I’d hope our management team are in his ear regarding his performances. If he’s not showing it for a club of our stature, how will he ever show it at Liverpool or more importantly how will he ever make it at a decent level? 

I agree with you. You can see he’s an unbelievable talent but there’s something missing. Is it what you’ve mentioned? Who knows. But it needs addressed. 

Edited by InternationalJambo

Just now, InternationalJambo said:

As he’s out of contract at the end of the season so I’d hope our management team are in his ear regarding his performances. If he’s not showing it for a club of our stature, how will he ever show it at Liverpool and more importantly how will he ever make it at a decent level? 

I agree with you. You can see he’s an unbelievable talent but there’s something missing. Is it what you’ve mentioned? Who knows. But it needs addressed. 

Aye, you’ve got ask questions of his character.  He better sort his head out soon or he’ll be nowhere near Hearts, never mind Liverpool.  

I had said in a post to Cruyff I was told he’s not a great trainer and picks and chooses when he’s up for it.  

Byyy The Light

Keep. Young guy, has ability but wet behind the ears and not up to the physicality. Thinks he can stroll it.

Hopefully today gives him the rocket he needs. Up to him now to show he has the bollocks and not just play pretty, luxury football that he’ll be used to at Liverpool and in the u23 league 

rudi must stay
5 minutes ago, InternationalJambo said:

The first time I read this I was like what but you're post is alright. For me he's another Tony Watt, when he has it nobody's on his wavelength. Same as so many former players, "oh he doesn't have the heart for it" is a comment I hate to be honest, he's out there playing for the team knackering himself every week. I hope Neilson has the guts to persist with Woodburn, he's getting more attacking minded every week and that would only benefit Ben Woodburn

Just now, Byyy The Light said:

Keep. Young guy, has ability but wet behind the ears and not up to the physicality. Thinks he can stroll it.

Hopefully today gives him the rocket he needs. Up to him now to show he has the bollocks and not just play pretty, luxury football that he’ll be used to at Liverpool and in the u23 league 

He is a good player but not suited to the rough and tumble of Scottish football. Same goes for Gnando. 

Devlin on the other hand is tiny but knows how to mix it.

InternationalJambo
3 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Aye, you’ve got ask questions of his character.  He better sort his head out soon or he’ll be nowhere near Hearts, never mind Liverpool.  

I had said in a post to Cruyff I was told he’s not a great trainer and picks and chooses when he’s up for it.  

I seen that earlier and it doesn’t surprise me, he looks the type to think he’s made it when he’s so far off that. 

I don’t think Robbie persisting with him in the starting 11 and hooking him after 50 odd minutes is doing him any favours, though. I would be saying to him you’re having a spell on the sidelines, get your head sorted and be fired up for Hibs at Easter Road in the New Year. 

2 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

He is a bit sulky.

Due to the lad being a  Liverpool  starlet we seem to think he is a first team player. We have Cochrane Devlin Beni playing in their proper first team debut seasons. Not easy for any of them, some will take longer. These type of players are here to bring them up to speed and sort out ittle issues. We are giving Cochrane and Woodburns  parent clubs a lot of help. At the moment it looks like Ben is a duffer, i am not so quick to rule him out. I have said he has been dugshite V Celtic and now V Livi. Both away games though at brutal places. Home V Rangers may be a different story...

He wasn't having a great game and a Livi goal was coming so I can see why Nielson took him off, not that it made much difference immediately but it allowed us to start getting into the game. His confidence will no doubt be in tatters which is not good as I reckon he would get a lot better with time. 

Lost his way a bit. I think the pace of the game up here is finding him out. He has plenty of talent, but does he have the heart? I think he has to have a good look at himself and get stuck in if he’s to make his mark with us.

6 minutes ago, A.JAMBO said:

He is a bit sulky.

Due to the lad being a  Liverpool  starlet we seem to think he is a first team player. We have Cochrane Devlin Beni playing in their proper first team debut seasons. Not easy for any of them, some will take longer. These type of players are here to bring them up to speed and sort out ittle issues. We are giving Cochrane and Woodburns  parent clubs a lot of help. At the moment it looks like Ben is a duffer, i am not so quick to rule him out. I have said he has been dugshite V Celtic and now V Livi. Both away games though at brutal places. Home V Rangers may be a different story...

I think earlier you said yourself there should be no excuses for players but someone earlier pointed out about the manager reading the moment and picking players suited for more rugged matches.

You can look at that both ways.  Imo, any player should have the guts and fight for any game but the manager shouldn’t be taking a player out the team because he lacks that. (Meaning we can’t carry players like that and they should be good enough)  Woodburn at the moment looks guilty on that front.  

The other way can be that the manager just thinks it’ll be a more physical game suited to a different stature of player and you tweak the team to suit.  

You can bring guys like Woodburn on later when the game has slowed and more space opens up. All great intheory but you should never ask a player to give the bare minimum and that is effort and some guts. 

Edited by Debut 4

21 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Good player  not utilised correctly.

Where though.

He constantly loses the ball with poor decision or passes.

He has no Liverpool career ahead, that is certain.

When we signed him I did wonder how we got him as seemed a coup. After seeing him then now I know why. Looks like one of those players who did well young and thought he had already made it. Needs dropped

Motherwell, Celtic and Livi he's been hooked for not trying a leg.  Clearly very talented but maybe Robbies ran out of patience with him. Seems he has a lot to learn before he can be trusted to start games. 

3 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

I think earlier you said yourself there should be no excuses for players but someone earlier pointed out about the manager reading the moment and picking players suited for more rugged matches.

You can look at that both ways.  Imo, any player should have the guts and fight for any game but the manager shouldn’t be taking a player out the team because he lacks that.  Woodburn at the moment looks guilty on that front.  

The other way can be that the manager just thinks it’ll be a more physical game suited to a different stature of player and you tweak the team to suit.  

You can bring guys like Woodburn on later when the game has slowed and more space opens up. All great intheory but you should never ask a player to give the bare minimum and that is effort and some guts. 

I agree

Pre match i was not happy at Woodburn being on the pitch, also Haring being benched. This was rectified in the first half. We didn't play well, Beni is missing and Haring is a clear stater untill we figure out our strongest starting 11. The pitch was a distraction as we scored a quality winner to end that debate.

Edited by A.JAMBO

A_A wehatethehibs

The real question is, would you take him on a permanent? 

The answer at the moment to be honest, is no. 

crystal clear he’s no future at liverpool that’s for sure 

Just now, rudi must stay said:

What's he worth. £10 million, 10 caps for Wales at 21 

How much is he worth now,and was he called up for last wales squad?

loveofthegame
24 minutes ago, Gambo said:

I think this is probably right but he needs to give us more regardless. The set up today was all wrong and he’s being played a position he doesn’t look comfortable. In saying all that his attitude today was awful and being utilised incorrectly wasn’t an excuse for losing the ball 3/4x in the spell he was on the park. I was happy to see him subbed after 25 mins.

I still think there’s a place for him in the squad but my patience is running out. Shape up or piss off back to Liverpool’s reserves.

rudi must stay
3 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

How much is he worth now,and was he called up for last wales squad?

£10 million. You know he wasn't, one before and consecutively for years yes 

scott herbertson

Don't think he is a good player , just a player who can do some good things

A luxury for us - would rather get a more rounded player in, one who can retain possession or one who can score more

A_A wehatethehibs
26 minutes ago, Gambo said:

23 minutes ago, jamborich said:

Exactly 

Based on what evidence is he a “good” player? 

completely unproven player and at this stage in his career, still every chance he’s a future Wrexham player 

I was waxing lyrical about him against DUFC but the fact is there are signs of an attitude problem and lack of application which is career threatening IMO 

Don't want to shit on the laddie. Had hoped he'd come onto a game after the Dundee Utd game, but that hasn't happened. Chances can't keep being afforded to someone who isn't our player and in all likelihood won't ever become our player.