Robbie

NB GIN

1 hour ago, XB52 said:

Had a look at his previous posts, almost every one says play 4 2 3 1. Obviously thinks he's some super duper manager, at least on Fifa 2021(or whatever that game us called) 

Indeed 🤯

1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

No 1 in a 5-2-3 either David ...

Nobody ever picks up on it becoming a 3-2-5 in attack, allowing Cochrane to ghost into the box for his recent goal ...

Indeed , look at the shots Smith and Cochrane have had this year. Good number and its all from them pushing forward in the 3-4-3. Teams try to turn us when we are on the front foot as thats when we drop back a bit. Possibly confidence in the system/belief in themselves or belief from Robbie. You can see he trusts the lads as thats why we have stuck with how we began yesterday then changed it. He clearly believes we can impose our game in the way the OF do. Thats a good thing. You can hear from the squad the belief and character that is in it. Translating that on to the pitch will come. 

1 hour ago, Burford Jamtart said:

I’d take him - has he got his coaching badges though?

Aye , I’m sure they are on FM too

33 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I definitely think 3 at the back works for the current personnel although the wing backs are key to a back 3 system and we need upgrades on either side. Once you have that 5 established and solid, you should be able to tweak the other 5, not just according to home/away and opposition but on form and to keep the opposition guessing. 

Smith tends to play a bit more inverted when hes wingback , when he was out it was more fluid. Im not sure if thats to protect Smith after his covid issues as that restricted his fitness badly or its a tactical thing. Cochrane is fine at LWB and McKay works his arse off to keep the 3-4-3 fluid. Getting the correct support for Cochrane is a big part of it as is keeping possession and getting control in order to force other teams back. People see teams going direct against us and trying to turn us and for some reason claim its slicing us open. Its football , you can see our quality over other teams when we slow it down and put our foot on the ball. Yesterday is the sort of game we lost before demotion , yesterday we wrestled control of the game and the chances we had to score a few more were numerous in the second half after a bit of quality got us in front.  Livi went even longer after the goal as they didn’t have that space to win the second ball. When they did go longer you saw Halkett , Souttar and Kingsley happily slowing down the attacker and forcing them into a difficult shot or ceding possession. The only time they properly got through was the Souttar tackle at the back post. Everything else after the crazy 30secs in the first half were half chances at best. 

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• InternationalJambo

• Bazzas right boot

• A.JAMBO

• JimmyCant

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Hibs are shit and nothing to worry about. I would be more concerned about Motherwell.  We will lose games but we are more consistent at picking up points than the others.  Us or sheep for third. 

Aberdeen are the one to watch imo. 

When I've seen them they've played well, they could put a run together. 

Hibs are shite. 

But, By Xmas we'll know if they are up for top four or struggling to make top 6. 

That St Johnstone win was massive for them. 

Berra than you

I don't know if this has been covered but I see alot of people begging for 3 central midfielders and how we were better yesterday when we changed to that. From where I was sitting we never did. We started the game in what looked like our usual 3-4-3 but McEneff was so pushed up that Devlin was isolated. Full backs didn't get forward either so it essentially became 5-1-3-1. Given we couldnt get out our own half that rendered the front 4 useless. The change of Woodburn for haring gave Devlin a partner, and to me looked like McEneff went into the wide right role that Woodburn was (meant to be) playing. It didn't look to me really at any point we had 3 central midfielders playing centrally.

Naisys Tackle
1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Hibs are shite. 

But, By Xmas we'll know if they are up for top four or struggling to make top 6. 

I agree with Aberdeen I said us or sheep. Motherwell are dark horses though.  Hibs have no chance of even 4th.  They are murder.  I think they will win the LC though which will keep Ross in a job but attendances will fall further. 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Robbies Tackle said:

I agree with Aberdeen I said us or sheep. Motherwell are dark horses though.  Hibs have no chance of even 4th.  They are murder.  I think they will win the LC though which will keep Ross in a job but attendances will fall further. 

Motherwell could be, I've been impressed with them as well but I think they'll go on a poor run, maybe 5/6 games without a win and will see them drop off. 

Maybe not tho. 

As long as we show the consistency we have them we can be confident of at least top 4 and being 3rd. 

We won't be near the top 2 imo. 

For all the doom and gloom about our away form we’ve still acquired the third most points in the league.

We’re also second in the league with our home form. 

I agree the football has been quite difficult to watch on the road but if we’re still managing to pick up more points than the rest of the teams whilst playing better football at home I don’t think that’s bad.

A863C852-B16F-4C2F-A656-1AAE7EE223FB.jpeg

jamboinglasgow
17 hours ago, BelgeJambo said:

Where were McCulloch and Forrest today? I didn’t see them in the dugout

Hearts are saying they were isolating due to being in contact with another backroom staff member who tested positive

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-coaches-lee-mcculloch-and-gordon-forrest-absent-from-riccarton-after-missing-win-at-livingston-3483632

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Motherwell could be, I've been impressed with them as well but I think they'll go on a poor run, maybe 5/6 games without a win and will see them drop off. 

Maybe not tho. 

As long as we show the consistency we have them we can be confident of at least top 4 and being 3rd. 

No I think we’ll be 15-20 points behind the OF by the end.

We’ve got a very good looking run of 7 games before the break including both OF at home. Win any 5 from 7 and 3rd is just about in the bag.

Then we need to hope that the OF or ourselves win the cup because I think that guarantees European group football and a big payout

14 hours ago, InternationalJambo said:

Deserve better than 3 points and well clear in third? The performances could be better yes but what do you really expect following hearts? What would better be to you? 

There’s nothing that can be said to you as you obviously can’t see what is going wrong with our team. This league is there for the taking, we’re 3rd and look at the teams we’ve lost to and dropped points to Ross County, Aberdeen, Motherwell etc. The players are good enough but the coaching and tactics are letting us down big time.  

1 minute ago, mitch41 said:

There’s nothing that can be said to you as you obviously can’t see what is going wrong with our team. This league is there for the taking, we’re 3rd and look at the teams we’ve lost to and dropped points to Ross County, Aberdeen, Motherwell etc. The players are good enough but the coaching and tactics are letting us down big time.  

The league really isn’t there ‘for the taking’. 

9 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

On TV? 

Nah I put 2+2 together and assumed McCulloch was away watching a Wigan player we are interested in. Clearly he wasn’t but we are targeting this guy on a loan with a view to permanent deal - out of contract in the summer.

jamboinglasgow
21 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Yup, Rangers have won the 5 of the last 6 games, Celtic have won 7 out of their last 8 games. we are 9 and 5 points off 1st and 2nd respectively with those teams having a game in hand. Rangers and Celtic started poorly but they have got into their normal rhythm again. While we can and should push the old firm all we can, as you say its not "there for the taking."

23 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

It is in his fantasy football land of could of this and should of that🤣

InternationalJambo
43 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Hearts are saying they were isolating due to being in contact with another backroom staff member who tested positive

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-coaches-lee-mcculloch-and-gordon-forrest-absent-from-riccarton-after-missing-win-at-livingston-3483632

👍

Naisys Tackle
49 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Maybe not tho. 

👍

36 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Actually beyond belief!

Bazzas right boot
35 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

"the league is there for the taking" 

:vrface:

"players are good enough" 

:notsure:

"coaching and tactics letting us down" 

:berra:

In fact, to summarise.. 

:getout:

12 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Nah I put 2+2 together and assumed McCulloch was away watching a Wigan player we are interested in. Clearly he wasn’t but we are targeting this guy on a loan with a view to permanent deal - out of contract in the summer.

Player with an agent we know and have had dealings with recently? 

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Hibs are shite. 

This.

Frustrates the hell out of me that we start away games so poorly and off the pace. If we started them better we'd probably be top.

Having said that we have done well overall this season. If we could have seen the current table in July I think we all would have been happy to varying degrees.

If we maintain our current ppg (1.75 of the top of my head) we will finish 3rd. Comfortably. That would make for a very good first season back in the Premier.

Winning the Cup would make it magnificent but even getting to the business end of the tournament would compliment such a league season.

Vast improvement on the soul destroying days of Cathro, Levein etc.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, martoon said:

Frustrates the hell out of me that we start away games so poorly and off the pace. If we started them better we'd probably be top.

Having said that we have done well overall this season. If we could have seen the current table in July I think we all would have been happy to varying degrees.

If we maintain our current ppg (1.75 of the top of my head) we will finish 3rd. Comfortably. That would make for a very good first season back in the Premier.

Winning the Cup would make it magnificent but even getting to the business end of the tournament would compliment such a league season.

At the very least we need an improvement on last seasons sc performance... 😳

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

At the very least we need an improvement on last seasons sc performance... 😳

🙏 

1 hour ago, Mr Rabbit said:

For all the doom and gloom about our away form we’ve still acquired the third most points in the league.

I agree the football has been quite difficult to watch on the road but if we’re still managing to pick up more points than the rest of the teams whilst playing better football at home I don’t think that’s bad.

Interesting. I would say we have performed to an acceptable level in 7 of the 9 away games, with only really the Aberdeen and Motherwell games being unacceptable. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Mr Rabbit said:

Away wins are vey rare For most teams. 

Aberdeens away record is shite yet they drew at Ibrox and with us. 

The Motherwell game stands out as the poorest performance and result for me. 

1 hour ago, mitch41 said:

Both OF teams have dropped points to us. Sevco have also dropped points at home to Motherwell, Celtic have dropped points at home to Dundee United. I will put this bluntly for you.

You are full of the Brown stuff.

The White Cockade

We are far too inconsistent to be challenging for the Title this season

Also will be short in some areas once injuries and suspensions kick in

However apart from a couple of shockers we are playing well and am hopeful that

we will finish third

Things are looking pretty good so far and we are doing great when you consider the last season

we were in the top league

From where we were the last two years i'd be delighted with third and getting back into Europe

Scottish football never has been and never will be a level playing field with the support and resources

of the OF miles ahead of the rest

8 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

we will finish third

Things are looking pretty good so far and we are doing great when you consider the last season

From where we were the last two years i'd be delighted with third and getting back into Europe

Scottish football never has been and never will be a level playing field with the support and resources

I think that’s the issue that people think we should be challenging. We only got promoted last season and whilst we should always be ambitious we also needs to be a level of realism.

Too many of our fans got carried away at the start of the season. You’re right that things are positive and if we can keep on having strong transfer windows the above might not be as unrealistic as it is just now. 

1 hour ago, mitch41 said:

You’re right mate.

5 points clear in 3rd having twice pumped the team in 4th, 9 points clear of Aberdeen, 11 clear of Hibs.

When will this suffering end????!

2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Actually beyond belief!

now now - lay off mitch - he's providing so much comedy gold. and as my dad would tell me "don't mock the afflicted"

it's why I love kickback. be a boring place otherwise :)

Ex member of the SaS
2 hours ago, DS98 said:

You’re right mate.

5 points clear in 3rd having twice pumped the team in 4th, 9 points clear of Aberdeen, 11 clear of Hibs.

When will this suffering end????!

As one who is often very critical of Robbie and how the team set up and play, I have no problem with our league position, but feel that Robbie is at the top of his game and is not the one to take us up another step.

Due to Savage I do believe we are building a good team and should maybe have brought in a better striker last window sincerely hope we get one soon. So we need a manager that can get the best from the players, not play so defensively every game and push us onward and upward.

Having said that I really do think no team will be allowed to break up the duopoly, and without being branded a conspiracy theorist, I can see how we are already being disadvantaged by officials, not just the Celtic game, but also a few times during the Livi game the ref would normally blow for a foul, but let Livi drive on into our box, while our players lay on the ground. There is also the times Boyce is hampered and the foul given the other way.

Edited by Ex member of the SaS

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, martoon said:

Maybe the home team starts well? 

🤷‍♂️

Bazzas right boot
26 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

As one who is often very critical of Robbie and how the team set up and play, I have no problem with our league position, but feel that Robbie is at the top of his game and is not the one to take us up another step.

Due to Savage I do believe we are building a good team and should maybe have brought in a better striker last window sincerely hope we get one soon. So we need a manager that can get the best from the players, not play so defensively every game and push us onward and upward.

Having said that I really do think no team will be allowed to break up the duopoly, and without being branded a conspiracy theorist, I can see how we are already being disadvantaged by officials, not just the Celtic game, but also a few times during the Livi game the ref would normally blow for a foul, but let Livi drive on into our box, while our players lay on the ground. There is also the times Boyce is hampered and the foul given the other way.

Boyce gets battered every game. 

It's ridiculous. 

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

🤷‍♂️

That's part of it, of course, but I do feel we facilitate it by taking so much time to get out of first gear.

Perhaps a bit of both, Smith's?

6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Boyce gets battered every game. 

It's ridiculous. 

Boyce is a tough player that's for sure. Not the biggest but uses his strength well, often against 2 physical centrebacks

Best manager since his last time here. The only man to improve over in 7 years where everyone else did their best to outdo the utter pish of the man before him.

Imagine he left for whatever reason? There are actually no candidates out there around our level you would take. 

Players need to take responsibility for our slow starts. It's awful. Thankfully Robbie will change it for the better more often than not.

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, martoon said:

That's part of it, of course, but I do feel we facilitate it by taking so much time to get out of first gear.

Perhaps a bit of both, Smith's?

Aye, always. Our style is definitely a keep the ball and grow into the game one. 

It's working so far- quite well. Even the games ( most) were we've not been great defensively we've created more than enough over the piece. 

I'm more concerned about the more physical sides, Aberdeen and Motherwell as these games (all 4) we've not really got a foothold and they've bullied us and over powered us. 

That is my biggest concern rather than slow starts, our style won't see many fast starts imo but over the 90 we get on top and create more than a enough. 

We've even got on top of the OF In the second half. 

4 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

I used the word Sniffin.  Let me add this Jimmy. Work doesn't end when you are house bound, someone mentioned watching the FA cup tie on Tv, good humour. I didn't say that they were watching any player, they are onto 4 targets though.  You are close to the hot spot Mate. It will become more apparent in the next few weeks. 

17 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Aye, always. Our style is definitely a keep the ball and grow into the game one. 

It's working so far- quite well. Even the games ( most) were we've not been great defensively we've created more than enough over the piece. 

I'm more concerned about the more physical sides, Aberdeen and Motherwell as these games (all 4) we've not really got a foothold and they've bullied us and over powered us. 

That is my biggest concern rather than slow starts, our style won't see many fast starts imo but over the 90 we get on top and create more than a enough. 

We've even got on top of the OF In the second half. 

All fair points, bud.

Really fancy us vs. Rangers on Sunday.

Edited by martoon

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

🤷‍♂️

I think we have to set up to counter the home team when we are away.

Celtic and Rangers have huge gulf and can set up pretty much same way home and away. It’s not the case for us, home advantage makes a significant difference.  I feel that we need to accept that and play differently for the first 20-30 minutes.  

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, naeclue said:

I think we have to set up to counter the home team when we are away.

Celtic and Rangers have huge gulf and can set up pretty much same way home and away. It’s not the case for us, home advantage makes a significant difference.  I feel that we need to accept that and play differently for the first 20-30 minutes.  

Agreed, but if we are going to build and create a winning mentality then having a style might benefit us longer term as we improve. 

We are still in our infancy I reckon. 

We will grow from here. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

5 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

we will finish third

We started so well that it was possible to dream that we might put it all together in a magic run for the league.

Doing that would have required not dropping some silly games that we've dropped and probably getting at least a point out of Parkhead. That ship has sailed.

There's still a narrow path to second, IMO, but we can't faff around and it requires Rangers selling a bunch of players in January to clean up their red ink. I don't have much hope that we could manage it but it's still out there.

Finishing third and being closer to second than to fourth would be a great accomplishment and fully within reach of this team.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
8 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

We started so well that it was possible to dream that we might put it all together in a magic run for the league.

Doing that would have required not dropping some silly games that we've dropped and probably getting at least a point out of Parkhead. That ship has sailed.

There's still a narrow path to second, IMO, but we can't faff around and it requires Rangers selling a bunch of players in January to clean up their red ink. I don't have much hope that we could manage it but it's still out there.

Finishing third and being closer to second than to fourth would be a great accomplishment and fully within reach of this team.

It takes time to build a good team not just one transfer window. Look how long it took JJ. Even at a Glasgow level look at Rangers.

Everything rarely happens at once and at the start. We have got off to an excellent start but we are in such a stable place as a club now that it genuinely is a start to build on.

I personally can’t waIt for the rest of the season - free hit for Europe and cup run - but more importantly to see what our team looks like next August.

Exciting times for us.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Saw this the other day on Twitter. Can't vouch for the stats but they seem sound to me.

I am generally a Robbie fan and think our current form justifies this, but his stats do paint, well, not a worrying picture, but a bit of a commentary that our outfield play hasn't always matched our table position.

tl;dr -- the advanced metrics stuff says that we're overperforming our expected goal difference. And a big reason for that may be the big man in goals, who's kept us in games and rescued points for us so many times we can't keep track anymore.

Which isn't necessarily a criticism of Robbie -- you manage the players you have, and the GK is part of the 11. No one says, "ah, Bayern aren't as good as you think, take Lewandowski out and see what happens?" They're good in part BECAUSE they have Lewandowski, much as we're third in large part because we have Gordon. And if his dominance means we can play a bit looser at the back and send our defenders forward more, that's not a failing team, that's using your assets to the best effect.

Still, it does give me concern that our success is riding heavily on Gordon being an all-world keeper. If he gets hurt or his form somehow dips, it could have a very big impact on our league position.

6 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Saw this the other day on Twitter. Can't vouch for the stats but they seem sound to me.

I am generally a Robbie fan and think our current form justifies this, but his stats do paint, well, not a worrying picture, but a bit of a commentary that our outfield play hasn't always matched our table position.

tl;dr -- the advanced metrics stuff says that we're overperforming our expected goal difference. And a big reason for that may be the big man in goals, who's kept us in games and rescued points for us so many times we can't keep track anymore.

Which isn't necessarily a criticism of Robbie -- you manage the players you have, and the GK is part of the 11. No one says, "ah, Bayern aren't as good as you think, take Lewandowski out and see what happens?" They're good in part BECAUSE they have Lewandowski, much as we're third in large part because we have Gordon. And if his dominance means we can play a bit looser at the back and send our defenders forward more, that's not a failing team, that's using your assets to the best effect.

Still, it does give me concern that our success is riding heavily on Gordon being an all-world keeper. If he gets hurt or his form somehow dips, it could have a very big impact on our league position.

👍 Always like a good ‘stat’ quote! I share your concerns though, especially when you look at the bench. CG, for me, is as good as anyone in Britain right now and I don’t think anyone will disagree that he’s saved us a few points…. was it not Sir Alex that said a good keeper guarantees you x amount of points a season (he may have been talking about a particular keeper IIRC)… but it does beg the question, is our defence/midfield weaker than we maybe give it credit for? We could certainly do better at defending set pieces/corners. 
Anyhoo, I’d feel better if we had a better keeper warming the bench. 

33 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

👍 Always like a good ‘stat’ quote! I share your concerns though, especially when you look at the bench. CG, for me, is as good as anyone in Britain right now and I don’t think anyone will disagree that he’s saved us a few points…. was it not Sir Alex that said a good keeper guarantees you x amount of points a season (he may have been talking about a particular keeper IIRC)… but it does beg the question, is our defence/midfield weaker than we maybe give it credit for? We could certainly do better at defending set pieces/corners. 
Anyhoo, I’d feel better if we had a better keeper warming the bench. 

I think our defenders are as good as we give them credit for, but Gordon's imperiousness means they can take far more risks getting forward than they could with a weaker shot stopper behind them.

I do think we need more production (not just goals but in chances) from the front line and from the wingbacks but we all knew that already.