Robbie

NB GIN

To give him credit I think his strength as a manager is he does change the system players when not working and many times it’s worked well. 

The negatives he chops and changes too much for my liking and starts with the wrong setup time after time but does  realise it and adapt. 

Need to get it right more often from the start for me. 

Mcneff Haliday not good enough unfortunately 

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• InternationalJambo

• Bazzas right boot

• A.JAMBO

• JimmyCant

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Captain Lithuania
1 minute ago, NB GIN said:

To give him credit I think his strength as a manager is he does change the system players when not working and many times it’s worked well. 

The negatives he chops and changes too much for my liking and starts with the wrong setup time after time but does  realise it and adapt. 

Need to get it right more often from the start for me. 

Mcneff Haliday not good enough unfortunately 

McEneff had a good game today and is a very useful player. Happy to have him in the team. 

Halliday is a passenger and should be moved on. 

Neilson gets it right most of the time and he did again today. As you say, a brave decision to take Woodburn off but it worked for us. Maybe we’ll see a midfield 3 more often. 

2 minutes ago, Steak said:

Hopefully he learns now that we can't play that formation away from home. Need a strong midfield from the get go

I think your right need Haring in the team 

1 minute ago, Captain Lithuania said:

McEneff had a good game today and is a very useful player. Happy to have him in the team. 

Halliday is a passenger and should be moved on. 

Neilson gets it right most of the time and he did again today. As you say, a brave decision to take Woodburn off but it worked for us. Maybe we’ll see a midfield 3 more often. 

👍

Props for taking Woodburn off so early.

Must have put a rocket up everybody's erkies at HT as we were a different team.

But the initial team selection and tactics WERE his fault to begin with.......

Just now, Cade said:

Props for taking Woodburn off so early.

Must have put a rocket up everybody's erkies at HT as we were a different team.

But the initial team selection and tactics WERE his fault to begin with.......

What the players did may not have been his tactics though. That's why he changed the player(s).

Thought he made the right call getting Woodburn off. Was losing possession constantly and just not at the races. After losing Smith to injury it was a big call to use 2 subs in 30 mins. 

I'm not really sold on 343 tbh, I don't think we have the players for it. As great as Devlin and Beni are, they're the 2 in a 4231 or part of the midfield in a 433. We seem rudderless attacking through the middle and would like to see a formation change to either of those two formations. Or some sort of variation where 3 midfielders are on the pitch. 

4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Especially on that pitch. 

Should not be allowed in our top league, it is dangerous, joke of a park,  away teams need to complain about it,

nothing will get done if they dont.

lost in space

He has improved IMO - but we very rarely start games well. Away form home we seem to start so defensively, not allowing players to get forward. We would have lost the game had it not been for CG (again). Surely he must see this - yet doesnt want to, or seem able, to fix it.

Just now, Harry Potter said:

Should not be allowed in our top league, it is dangerous, joke of a park,  away teams need to complain about it,

It's shocking like. You could see first half how difficult it was and it is a leveller for Livi. If they had a grass pitch, we'd have pumped them.

Problem is, the Motherwell game even a blind man could see we were getting overrun in midfield. He did nothing to try and change it, and when he did it was to late. Still we got 3pts today and for that I am delighted....HHGH!!.

Robbie reminds me of a young Walter Smith, not someone i would choose but delivers the demands.

He has been spot on in his attempts so far, sitting in a nice spot in a ruthless league.

I cannot fault him.

Edited by A.JAMBO

I’d imagine he’s generally confused as I am after that game. 

I have no idea what formation he’s going to play moving forward now. The 3-4-3 been very badly exposed of late, or at least the execution of it.  

Robbie saying we were too deep today to begin with. We were but when your CHs start in the 6 yard box, of course you are too deep. Our problem was we couldn’t get the ball forward from Devlin. There was no link pass through the lines. 

I genuinely have no idea what formation we should play now let alone which players. Although hard to justify not playing Haring away from home here on in in CM. 

Just now, Cruyff said:

It's shocking like. You could see first half how difficult it was and it is a leveller for Livi. If they had a grass pitch, we'd have pumped them.

I wonder if Woodburn has ever seen a pitch like it, never mind play a first team, top-flight, league match on it. 

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

This is the only reason that mob are surviving each season...

14 minutes ago, Steak said:

Hopefully he learns now that we can't play that formation away from home. Need a strong midfield from the get go

Common sense 👏 

The Mercer Takeover

Neilson got us into the first half mess, with the players and formation he picked.  He doesn't get credit for partially fixing it. Once again Gordon kept us in it.

Hopefully Woodburn will not play again and although McEneff was better second half, he was honking first. He isn't the answer.

Best squad since Romanov and it is being wasted on Neilson's negativity away from home 

One man up front to Livi....

1 minute ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

Neilson got us into the first half mess, with the players and formation he picked.  He doesn't get credit for partially fixing it. Once again Gordon kept us in it.

Hopefully Woodburn will not play again and although McEneff was better second half, he was honking first. He isn't the answer.

Best squad since Romanov and it is being wasted on Neilson's negativity away from home 

Correct on all counts.

😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆

Just now, The Mercer Takeover said:

A bit of a contradiction here. If Woodburn shouldn’t play again and McEneff not good enough, I think we can both agree pointless bringing Gnando on, then we clearly don’t have the greatest squad since Romanov that you mention. 

Just thinking back what an absolutely comical 10mins cameo from Gnando today

3 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

I wonder if Woodburn has ever seen a pitch like it, never mind play a first team, top-flight, league match on it. 

If it was a one off performance we could maybe look at the pitch but it's 3 or 4 in a row where it looks like he can't be arsed. 

2 minutes ago, Hectormasson said:

This is the only reason that mob are surviving each season...

Defo. 

3 minutes ago, Rods said:

Credit where it’s due. I thought it was a good starting team and superb change from Robbie when it was clearly going wrong.

This is the point for me. He made a great change at the right time and got us back in the game. He set up to attack from the off and it didn’t work. It happens, and it happens to better managers than any in the spl. 

9 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Never seen a good game on a plastic pitch.

Should be banned from the top two divisions.

So to summarise 

Robbie does in fact have a plan B and sometimes his plan B works?

Holy Fula we have a manager managing things.

Who would have thought that!!!

The Mercer Takeover
34 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

Just thinking back what an absolutely comical 10mins cameo from Gnando today

It was absolutely embarrassing. There were folk around us laughing at him.

Up there with Musemic, assuming I spelt his name right.

Good to see him making changes early especially with Woodburn who has surely played his last game for the club (played like he was out on George St last night, probably was). Wasn't the prettiest of games but we dug it out.

It was absolutely embarrassing. There were folk around us laughing at him.

Up there with Musemic, assuming I spelt his name right.

Needs a winner against Hibs to reach the heights of big Husref. 

44 minutes ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

And we are, in spite of your rant, where in the league? How many points clear in 3rd?

Happy days ...

7 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Needs a winner against Hibs to reach the heights of big Husref. 

Nando Mckay McEneff Woodburn are all on that sticker board.

More than likely Cochrane Kingsley and Boycie will nail that one shut.

Edited by A.JAMBO

Another shocker of a first half. Boyce totally isolated. However he gets credit for changing things and putting an extra body in midfield. Hopefully he will now realise that's what's needed at times. 

34 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

So to summarise 

Robbie does in fact have a plan B and sometimes his plan B works?

Holy Fula we have a manager managing things.

Who would have thought that!!!

Good post, honest opinion.

4 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Where were McCulloch and Forrest today? I didn’t see them in the dugout

Spying missions? looking at possible signings?

I think as well that sometimes Managers don't change a system straight away when you're under pressure because if there are gaps and pockets of space being exploited against you then it would suggest that there will be something similar the other way or counter attack possibilities if you can win the ball. Almost feels like they want to give the chance to keep the shape that's been probably been discussed in great detail at training and pre match.

I know bad discipline is no measure of how good a manager you are, but think what you like Robbie gets Hearts, why wouldn’t he, he spent most of his career here, the way he shouts up for us when he thinks we are being treated unjustly is just heroic in my eyes.

1 hour ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

Very harsh, I’ve been critical of Neilson in the past but today he had the balls to change things after 20 odd minutes. Imo he done his job today. 

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, hearts00 said:

I’d imagine he’s generally confused as I am after that game. 

I have no idea what formation he’s going to play moving forward now. The 3-4-3 been very badly exposed of late, or at least the execution of it.  

Robbie saying we were too deep today to begin with. We were but when your CHs start in the 6 yard box, of course you are too deep. Our problem was we couldn’t get the ball forward from Devlin. There was no link pass through the lines. 

I genuinely have no idea what formation we should play now let alone which players. Although hard to justify not playing Haring away from home here on in in CM. 

In the first half, we play it out from Gordon to defence, Devlin would get the ball in our third and almost always give it back to the defence because the rest of our team were too far away, and most not looking like they wanted the ball. If you play it out from the keeper you can't have most of the players deep in their half hiding behind men. But then when we inevitably punt it out of no other option, we've got that same gap and we're too deep. 

AlphonseCapone
22 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Where were McCulloch and Forrest today? I didn’t see them in the dugout

I'm sure I saw Forrest at the 4th official. 

44 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

No Forrest or Lee on bench today either 

Mculloch Watching a loan prospect in an FA cup tie today. 

Edited by JimmyCant

4 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

In the first half, we play it out from Gordon to defence, Devlin would get the ball in our third and almost always give it back to the defence because the rest of our team were too far away, and most not looking like they wanted the ball. If you play it out from the keeper you can't have most of the players deep in their half hiding behind men. But then when we inevitably punt it out of no other option, we've got that same gap and we're too deep. 

Exactly.  He said we wanted to play between the lines well you can’t do it with the positioning of the players in the first half. 

This was exactly the issue in the whole of the Motherwell game. Well had five players doing a high press and we were not able to break the first line. They must figure this out. 

Otherwise from goal kicks get the back three high up and kick it long, at least we are high up the pitch and not bringing pressure upon ourselves in our third. 

The amount of times it went to our wing backs in the first 25 mins, they looked up and saw no one. Where are the wide players of the front three. Boyce has also been told to stay high in the formation, but If we can’t even progress the ball 10 yards from our box then he’s better coming deep and trying to take the ball in. 

Serious question marks about the formation but specifically about the execution of the formation.