Taylor Moore - Right Wingback

OTT

Surely now a starter at right wingback? He's absolutely brilliant on the ball and really looks to get forward, play the ball forward into dangerous areas and support attacks. We look much more dangerous with him out wide. 

I've said enough times this season Smith doesn't look comfortable there and is painfully negative and cautious which is stifling our attacks since the ball effectively can't go down the right side or through him because it always goes back the way unless that option is closed off to him. He also doesn't have the pace to beat a man, which somehow Moore does :D For a team that doesn't create tons of chances we really need a more attack minded RWB and in Moore I think we have that. Beyond that he's a big lad that offers a threat at corners as well as defensively. 

Unless I'm missing something, this should be a no brainer?

He will make mistakes defensively and if Smith is fit there is absolutely no danger I’d be starting Moore ahead of him next week. In saying that, when we are up against sides where we know (or at least have a strong feeling) will sit in, I can see the point of playing Moore. 

Edited by GinRummy

Glamorgan Jambo

His energy at the start of the second half with his charge up the full length of the pitch was pivotal in turning the tide of the game.

kingantti1874

smith is finished - especially in that position.. he’s been a great servant but he is done 

Keep saying it .. if he has a role not is as backup centre back.. 

lost in space

Sorry - dont agree Moore as a RWingback.. Think he looks a very decent CB and even a RB but not sure about getting up and down. He did show some pace today and has the strength to get past players. Good player who does look up etc.  but he looks like a CB, playing out of position.

HeartsandonlyHearts
3 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Better in the 2nd half.

He's solid and a great athlete. I'd try and keep him if possible.

This. He was never off his @$$ first half but came on to a game second half. Thank god a few players turned it around.

Fly the Saltire
Just now, lost in space said:

Sorry - dont agree Moore as a RWingback.. Think he looks a very decent CB and even a RB but not sure about getting up and down. He did show some pace today and has the strength to get past players. Good player who does look up etc.  but he looks like a CB, playing out of position.

Agree has only played one decent game at RWB that against Dundee United. Looks like a centre half and if Souttar leaves we need to sign a replacement

He is a very limited RWB, especially in an attacking sense. Saying that, everyone in the current squad fit he’s first choice for me. Smith just isn’t a RWB and I think even as a FB he’s past it now to be honest.

Just now, KyleLafferty said:

Good centre back not a right wing back as Motherwell proved.

You do realise he played centre back not wing back V Motherwell as Smith was back in the team and Halkett was injured?

I don't think either of them are the answer tbh. I think we need a proper RWB, like the Brazilians and Italian's churn out, basically a winger that can defend, not the other way about.

TM does a job, nothing more, nothing less. 

Moore took on more players in that game than Smith has done all season. I like Smith but wb isn't his position and it isn't Moores either but he does better than Smith. 

InternationalJambo
2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I don't think either of them are the answer tbh. I think we need a proper RWB, like the Brazilians and Italian's churn out, basically a winger that can defend, not the other way about.

Yup. Need better in January, you called it earlier this year. 

Just now, InternationalJambo said:

Yup. Need better in January, you called it earlier this year. 

Everyone could see it tbf. Smithy is still a good squad player, always gives 100%, he's just getting on a bit. 

rudi must stay

He can play where he likes in his lovely predators. A throw back to the David Beckham days, well done to him, always reminisce when I see them 

10 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Don't disagree with this view, we need an actual wingback for this formation to work properly IMO but for the time being I'd rather see Moore played there than Smith. Its a more attack minded role and the difference between the two is night and day. 

Hopefully a proper wingback can be found in January and we can get this issue sorted because its a real issue for the team and how they're trying to play. 

Moore gives a better quality of pass, has more power to drive with the ball from there than Smith. It’s there for everyone to see.  

But I agree with others we should look for someone more natural to the position.  

Edited by Debut 4

51 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

His energy at the start of the second half with his charge up the full length of the pitch was pivotal in turning the tide of the game.

Agreed, he made a difference. Think he will cause problems for Rangers.

I thought he linked well with McEneff in the second half, definitely an improvement on Smith as RWB, but still not the answer longer term.

Grew into the game today and in his second half performance he definitely not phased by carrying the ball forward deserves a good run of games in his own right not just as a fill in when someone’s  injured.  On the other side Cochrane’s a very tidy player but his first instinct is always to turn back when receiving the ball. Numerous times today he could have taken off down the line,  but chose to take a touch, slow game down and look inside or back to retain possession. 

Just now, stevie1874 said:

Grew into the game today and in his second half performance he definitely not phased by carrying the ball forward deserves a good run of games in his own right not just as a fill in when someone’s  injured.  On the other side Cochrane’s a very tidy player but his first instinct is always to turn back when receiving the ball. Numerous times today he could have taken off down the line,  but chose to take a touch, slow game down and look inside or back to retain possession. 

Spot on regarding Cochrane. A very frustrating player who looks like he's scared to make a mistake. Take a player on, commit him and try to make something happen for a change.

Selkirkhmfc1874
11 hours ago, kila said:

Think we need to sign someone in January for RWB. Potentially LWB too.

Only a few more weeks to go...

Not a priority postion for January in my opinion ! We've got Smith, Moore, Logan and Brandon who can all play there

7 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Not a priority postion for January in my opinion ! We've got Smith, Moore, Logan and Brandon who can all play there

Assuming we sign a striker what other positions should take priority over RWB?

Selkirkhmfc1874
21 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Assuming we sign a striker what other positions should take priority over RWB?

Midfield playmaker for me , we've got plenty of energy in the middle of the park but we lacking someone who can control the game 

1 hour ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Midfield playmaker for me , we've got plenty of energy in the middle of the park but we lacking someone who can control the game 

All opinion at the end of the day, but I think our midfield is pretty much as strong as it can be. Devlin, Beni, Haring, McEneff and even Walker and potentially Pollock offers heaps of options and quality. 

Wingback is so crucial to our way of playing that I think it’s really important real wingbacks are signed. Smith isn’t the answer. Think Moore has shown a lot of versatility but ultimately isnt a wingback. 

14 hours ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

This. He was never off his @$$ first half but came on to a game second half. Thank god a few players turned it around.

He had an awful first 10 Mins, but on reflection was this his first ever professional match on a plastic pitch?

Moore is quite clearly the better rwb than Smith, been shown in all of his appearances so far. Maybe a position Smith can't play, or maybe due to the fact the squad has improved so much compared to the last few years, but Smith has looked the weakest link in most games for me, compared to MOM almost every other game the last few years. Solid defender, but in this system we need more. 

...andFulton'sBaggio
15 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

smith is finished - especially in that position.. he’s been a great servant but he is done 

Keep saying it .. if he has a role not is as backup centre back.. 

100%. That run up the right wing in the second half on Thursday where he got into a great position to cross, then basically tripped over his own feet and crumpled in a heap says it all. Got to hand it to him though, he's been the only one to survive the madness and chaos of the last few years. I wonder how many different players he's had for teammates in that time?

3 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

We can only say that if we knew how Cammy and Jamie were doing though.  Would love either one to come in grab the chance to stay fit, but it's a funny one as we're in the dark as supporters as to how likely that is and (I keep saying it!) the lack of reserve football is a killer for boys like these two.

My pref would be that Cammy Logan batters in to the team and nails it.  As it is, all I can say is it'd be my number one priority position to sort out in our team - whether it's RB or RWB, we need a solution.  If it's Moore, Logan, Brandon, whatever, we need to be looking ahead to next season.  Love Smudge but our play breaks down to often at his feet.  Still defends superbly.

His best position is CH imo.

15 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Has been fit for a few weeks now. 

He has been training for a few weeks now, doubt he’s anywhere near match fit yet

AlphonseCapone

Would play Moore over Smith at RWB until Jan, at which point he'll likely replace Souttar and centre half. We'll need to sign a proper RWB and striker as priority in January. 

Showed some good athleticism to get down the wing on a couple of occasions but his delivery wasn't great and he fell over himself at one point. If Souttar is sold in Jan then I would really like for us to use any money we get towards signing Moore permanently, and playing him as a direct replacement at CB. Wouldn't mind getting a quicker RB - similar to what we had in Logan last season maybe (obviously not him...). 

If we could get Moore on a permanent deal then that's CB sorted. I'd go back in for Jarrod Branthwaite on loan for the remainder of the season, and would be keeping my eye on Tunje Akinola (23 yo, came through West Ham youth) who has been impressive at Partick for a possible pre-contract and a bit of a project for next season.  

Edited by Batistuta87

19 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Better in the 2nd half.

He's solid and a great athlete. I'd try and keep him if possible.

Yup, he would have to be to make that run, he's also very comfortable with the ball at his feet. We're going to be at least one good defender short when Souttar leaves, but I'm guessing he'll be out of our price range.

The reality is we are making do with defenders playing as wing backs and at times they just don't know what to do when they get the ball in forward areas.

Smith and Cochrane have both scored goals from wing back this season and occasionally put in a good cross but overall we could do better.

I have been suggesting for a while that in we stick with 3 4 3 we could one more defensive minded wing back eg Cochrane and a more attacking wing back on the other side eg MacKay or Ginnelly who has to defend when required but is encouraged to get forward as much as possible. Pity we don't have Sean Clare in the squad.

I think its each game at a time with our current RWB position. Smith is a better defender than TM, so required against Rangers, Celtic, Hibs and Aberdeen. TM against the rest for his energy. We need someone who can do both.

6 minutes ago, Rods said:

I think its each game at a time with our current RWB position. Smith is a better defender than TM, so required against Rangers, Celtic, Hibs and Aberdeen. TM against the rest for his energy. We need someone who can do both.

This makes a lot of sense. On Thursday, Jota had one of his least effective games for Celtic because Michael Smith was doing a good job on him. However, MS also had the freedom of the wing on a couple of occasions and could do nothing with it. That's always been his problem. He's decent when passing on the ground, but is one of the worst ever crossers of a ball.

Pasquale for King
23 hours ago, OTT said:

Surely now a starter at right wingback? He's absolutely brilliant on the ball and really looks to get forward, play the ball forward into dangerous areas and support attacks. We look much more dangerous with him out wide. 

I've said enough times this season Smith doesn't look comfortable there and is painfully negative and cautious which is stifling our attacks since the ball effectively can't go down the right side or through him because it always goes back the way unless that option is closed off to him. He also doesn't have the pace to beat a man, which somehow Moore does :D For a team that doesn't create tons of chances we really need a more attack minded RWB and in Moore I think we have that. Beyond that he's a big lad that offers a threat at corners as well as defensively. 

Unless I'm missing something, this should be a no brainer?

Have to agree, looks better there than at CH. 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, May one-six said:

This makes a lot of sense. On Thursday, Jota had one of his least effective games for Celtic because Michael Smith was doing a good job on him. However, MS also had the freedom of the wing on a couple of occasions and could do nothing with it. That's always been his problem. He's decent when passing on the ground, but is one of the worst ever crossers of a ball.

Agree but his passing isn’t up to standard either. 

22 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Most RBs are just failed Right Wingers so…….

Done well enough 2nd half, 1st half he was dreadful. Beaten too easily and his use of the ball was horrible. I'd rather give Logan a chance tbh.