Christmas / German Market

Better call Saul

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

How much does the market and festival in Edinburgh interfere with your day to day life?

Day to day? Not at all.

But when I visit "my ain romantic toun"? I can comment on it can't I?

3 minutes ago, Cade said:

The big problem with Underbelly and their Embra Theme Park is that barely any of the money they take in actually stays in the locale.

Many of their stalls and staff come from outside the local area.

The cash goes back with them to wherever it is they come from.

It doesn't stay in Edinburgh.

The city as a whole barely sees any financial benefit at all.

The council barely makes anything because they roll over and let Underbelly tickle their tummies with threats of leaving the city forever if the council dare ask for more money (aye they'd leave this giant cash cow right enough).

If I was running the place it'd all be local businesses and local staff and all the money would stay right here in the city.

It was all local until Unique Events lost the contract to Underbelly. 

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Never really regarded George Steeet as being anything special.

2 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

The main Street of the New Town of Edinburgh. One of the architectural wonders of Europe. World heritage site. Nothing special?

And it is not just 6 weeks  it is defaced. Add another 4 weeks for putting the tents up and taking them down.

It's a mess for longer than those few weeks.

The dead grass is removed and the ground ploughed up like a farmer's field in early January.

Princes St gardens is then left looking like a bad day on The Somme until March, as they will not lay turf until then due to the season.

But it's always laid badly and yellows right away and then develops large bare patches. The already-flowering plants they bring in are also laid in poorly and almost always die right away after the first rain shower.

Nothing is done to fix it, as there's no point fixing dead grass for the summer when the Festival sheds are just about to get put up in mid-July.

Then the grass is deid again after that, and it's simply left to recover as much as it can on its own from September till November when the Xmas sheds get put up again.

The so-called "Public Gardens" are only actually useable by the public for about three months of the year. and even then it's dead plants and half ersed bad turfing.

It's a feckin disgrace.

highlandjambo3
On 05/12/2021 at 10:05, luckydug said:

Convenient excuse for traders profiteering imo. 

Folk need their heads examined paying these prices. 

I used to run a catering stall, 1 man operation type of thing and I’d go to Highland games and the likes, 2 day horse trials in Dalkeith, all in about 20 events a year.  I had a baked potato oven and, my menu including potatoes from £3.50 to £5 (always large potatoes) also included stovies, pulled pork rolls with apple sauce, large wild boar hotdogs and, hot/cold drinks.  My spud fillings were homemade beef chilli/veggie chilli/ cheese/ beans etc…….over the period of a day I’d bring in about £800 - £1k……sounds great yes?

Ok, so I spend about 2 days pre prepping food, I’d pack my car and trailer and travel the night before to set up, sleep in my tent.  I’d be up at 6am the next morning to get food ready for around 10…..work through till about 6 then strip it all out and head home (unless it was a 2 day event).  I’d get home shattered then spend the next day or two cleaning everything down.  Costs were all my stock, fuel for the generator, pitch costs, annual safety certificates from the council etc…..

7 years later I sold the whole lot on e bay…..it’s some of the hardest work I have ever done…….that £800 - £1k daily didn’t look so good in the end…….just thought I’d say.

On the other hand, I suppose I did pride myself on the quality of food I served, I did get a few private weddings etc…..maybe I was to honest.  I did often see a huge amount of cheap burger vans selling junk food (I mean the actual cheapest) so, there are a number of rip off merchants out there, not me though 😁

2 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

7 years later I sold the whole lot on e bay…..it’s some of the hardest work I have ever done…….that £800 - £1k daily didn’t look so good in the end…….just thought I’d say.

On the other hand, I suppose I did pride myself on the quality of food I served, I did get a few private weddings etc…..maybe I was to honest.  I did often see a huge amount of cheap burger vans selling junk food (I mean the actual cheapest) so, there are a number of rip off merchants out there, not me though 😁

One of Mrs JJ's aunts ran a childrens clothing stall at the various different markets, it's where she met her future husband, he was a butcher and had a fresh meat stall.

Anyway, yes it can be hard work and sometimes for little reward, such as days like today when the weather was rotten and there are few people out and about.  Both gave it up, there were easier ways to make a living.

highlandjambo3
5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

One of Mrs JJ's aunts ran a childrens clothing stall at the various different markets, it's where she met her future husband, he was a butcher and had a fresh meat stall.

Anyway, yes it can be hard work and sometimes for little reward, such as days like today when the weather was rotten and there are few people out and about.  Both gave it up, there were easier ways to make a living.

Yes….I think there is a bit of a false misconception that chucking some food into container from a food outlet is somehow easy money.

Just now, highlandjambo3 said:

Yes….I think there is a bit of a false misconception that chucking some food into container from a food outlet is somehow easy money.

Indeed.

Doctor FinnBarr
2 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Is the BnB a better option mate?

highlandjambo3
11 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Is the BnB a better option mate?

Deffo….. I’m raking it in here 😂.

Still 7 days a week with a 6.30 start….full on since may but, much easier to earn dosh, I knock off about 1pm….the rest of the day is mine 👍

Doctor FinnBarr
17 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Deffo….. I’m raking it in here 😂.

Still 7 days a week with a 6.30 start….full on since may but, much easier to earn dosh, I knock off about 1pm….the rest of the day is mine 👍

Remind me where it is, Nairn or thereabouts?

highlandjambo3
24 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Remind me where it is, Nairn or thereabouts?

Inverness…..near the hospital….30 minute walk to the cally football ground.

Doctor FinnBarr
20 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Inverness…..near the hospital….30 minute walk to the cally football ground.

Raigmore?, I'll come and stay sometime just to try the breakfast