Christmas / German Market

Better call Saul

Better call Saul

Being seeing some videos on tik tok of massive queues to get in , anyone here been ? Worth the trip ?  Or is it beyond comfortable with the amount of people there ??

Was hoping to take the wife and the  two kids in this afternoon .

TIA

Went Friday during the day and it was busy but still ok. Problem is that they no longer use lower princes st gardens so all the stalls are all in the one area causing congestion

Went last Thursday night and wasn’t too bad. Seems smaller this year so perhaps more crowded than previous but wasn’t too bad.

A rip off imo.

Read that a burger and a coffee leaves a couple of pound change from 20.

Which sounds about right.

Been a few years since I last visited it with the family .

It cost a fortune to get on the wheel and rides then.

I dont like the town getting turned into a theme park and do wonder if the very thing that tourists wish to visit for is lost to tack.

And by the time you leave it no cash left to spend at other year long business .

However if I was you I'd go at night and just take in the sparkle of the lights at the west end of princess street and enjoy a meal somewhere in the city .

When I've passed the queues to get into the event at waverly side are dependant it seems on the existing crowd inside.

St Andrew square is nicely lit up .

A wee walk about there a walk down the old Jenner's street then a walk along to the west end if the queues are too nippy will give you that sparkly christmas feel.

And still leave a hundred quid in your pocket towards a decent meal in a nice warm restaurant.

The German Christmas market will be a let down mate.

All my opinion that's tempered by Edinburgh festival and winter festivities being reduced to theme park generic .

🙂

Edited by Ked

1 hour ago, Steak said:

Went Friday during the day and it was busy but still ok. Problem is that they no longer use lower princes st gardens so all the stalls are all in the one area causing congestion

They no longer use it because it continually got wrecked and was often closed for a long time after for repair.

The cockburn people I think put a stop to it.

SectionDJambo

The reason that everything will be expensive within the Christmas market and the other attractions, is that Edinburgh Council see it as a wee money spinner. Those stalls and rides will be paying big money to the Council.

The same applies to city centre pub prices. The Council Rates have to be recovered, the only way being through prices charged. The pubs and restaurants get the blame for the prices, whilst the Council take a substantial amount of money from them. However, the Council can't let the Christmas attractions off with their charges,  as then local businesses would be, rightly, complaining.

I'm not sure the Council weren't still taking business rates whilst everywhere was shut down during the lockdown. It's got to be recovered somehow, and for pubs and restaurants etc., there's only one way that they can do it.

It's just a consequence of operating and buying within any city centre.

1 hour ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Being seeing some videos on tik tok of massive queues to get in , anyone here been ? Worth the trip ?  Or is it beyond comfortable with the amount of people there ??

Was hoping to take the wife and the  two kids in this afternoon .

TIA

Videos on TikTok?

Ban please Mods.

1 hour ago, Steak said:

I went on Friday evening 5 till 8ish. Pints are £5.50. Hot toddys about £7.

Decent hot dog was £7 but did see some questionable prices for other stuff. £10 for a Roast pork Sandwhich/toasties for example.

We walked straight in at that time amd 5/6 were it's busiest time but nothing outrageous. Strangely as we left just before 8 they were starting to make folk Queue to get it in even though it was considerably quieter by then. Those queuing were only waiting 5 mins max though. 

Definitely less there this year but there may be other stuff up at the Ice Rink area, never went there.

There weren't any stalls selling food this year. So no cheese or fudge which I usually like to buy.

Also no Johnnie Walker bar thats usually there.

Almost everything was priced as you would expect for that sort of set up so if you go in expecting that then you'll enjoy yourself.

Almost everything. This did have my jaw hitting the floor.

You do get to have it dipped under a chocolate fountain for that price...

They also sell plastic cups filled with about twice as much in them for £8 if you want your moneys worth.

Screenshot_20211205-094748_Gallery.jpg

49 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

The reason that everything will be expensive within the Christmas market and the other attractions, is that Edinburgh Council see it as a wee money spinner. Those stalls and rides will be paying big money to the Council.

The same applies to city centre pub prices. The Council Rates have to be recovered, the only way being through prices charged. The pubs and restaurants get the blame for the prices, whilst the Council take a substantial amount of money from them. However, the Council can't let the Christmas attractions off with their charges,  as then local businesses would be, rightly, complaining.

I'm not sure the Council weren't still taking business rates whilst everywhere was shut down during the lockdown. It's got to be recovered somehow, and for pubs and restaurants etc., there's only one way that they can do it.

It's just a consequence of operating and buying within any city centre.

Convenient excuse for traders profiteering imo. 

Folk need their heads examined paying these prices. 

There is a Christmas market on at Conifox (kirkliston) with local stall holders etc. not been yet so not sure what it’s like.

also have a Christmas experience for kids but think it might be sold out but the adventure park is open and they have a new soft play area. 

33 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Decent hot dog was £7 but did see some questionable prices for other stuff. £10 for a Roast pork Sandwhich/toasties for example.

We walked straight in at that time amd 5/6 were it's busiest time but nothing outrageous. Strangely as we left just before 8 they were starting to make folk Queue to get it in even though it was considerably quieter by then. Those queuing were only waiting 5 mins max though. 

Definitely less there this year but there may be other stuff up at the Ice Rink area, never went there.

There weren't any stalls selling food this year. So no cheese or fudge which I usually like to buy.

Almost everything was priced as you would expect for that sort of set up so if you go in expecting that then you'll enjoy yourself.

They also sell plastic cups filled with about twice as much in them for £8 if you want your moneys worth.

There's a stall selling the usual cheeses in The Gyle this year. Morrison's end.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Steak said:

Czech pint was only a fiver which I thought wasn't too bad considering

That seems reasonable.

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

4 strawberries on a stick.....in chocolate 

For £6?!?!?!?

SectionDJambo
58 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Convenient excuse for traders profiteering imo. 

Folk need their heads examined paying these prices. 

There will be a bit of that, certainly, but never underestimate the costs for many businesses before they open their doors.

Ultimately, the consumer has the choice to go or not to go. Personally, I very seldom go for a drink in the city centre. If I do, I know what I’m setting myself up for. Same beer, cheaper prices and less people where my local bar is. 

1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

There's a stall selling the usual cheeses in The Gyle this year. Morrison's end.

There's a reason it's the best shopping centre in Europe.

56 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

For £6?!?!?!?

£6 for a banana, which wouldn't cost them much more than 10p, with a bit chocolate, is one hell of a mark up.

3 hours ago, Ked said:

A rip off imo.

I dont like the town getting turned into a theme park and do wonder if the very thing that tourists wish to visit for is lost to tack.

And by the time you leave it no cash left to spend at other year long business .

However if I was you I'd go at night and just take in the sparkle of the lights at the west end of princess street and enjoy a meal somewhere in the city .

When I've passed the queues to get into the event at waverly side are dependant it seems on the existing crowd inside.

A wee walk about there a walk down the old Jenner's street then a walk along to the west end if the queues are too nippy will give you that sparkly christmas feel.

And still leave a hundred quid in your pocket towards a decent meal in a nice warm restaurant.

All my opinion that's tempered by Edinburgh festival and winter festivities being reduced to theme park generic .

🙂

Perfect. 

It looks nice in the background, particularly if you're having a nice time doing something that isn't an absolute rip off. But the thought of actually being there? Nah. 

3 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

For £6?!?!?!?

Ah but you're forgetting, they're Christmas strawberries, on a Christmas stick, covered in Christmas chocolate, at the Christmas Market. 

You could shite in a shoebox, pop some glitter on it, and call it Christmas Reindeer Droppings and people would still buy it at these things. 

I hate them with a burning passion, and every year I end up getting dragged to them. 

7 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

For £6?!?!?!?

In the above photo with the banana I make that £66 worth if sold at £6 that must have cost no much over £1 to buy.....unbelievable!

9 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

There will be a bit of that, certainly, but never underestimate the costs for many businesses before they open their doors.

Ultimately, the consumer has the choice to go or not to go. Personally, I very seldom go for a drink in the city centre. If I do, I know what I’m setting myself up for. Same beer, cheaper prices and less people where my local bar is. 

Yup.

I go once or twice every year if it’s a crisp wintery evening and I enjoy it. Don’t mind paying a bit more than usual for a drink / mulled wine with the city as a backdrop like no other.

Dennis Reynolds

I went a few years ago and hated it. I hate small, busy places at the best of times tbh. Was just laid out so poorly. Woman with a pram ended up blocking majority of a walkway standing chatting to someone and caused carnage. She didn't seem to think she was doing anything wrong standing sideways with the pram as folk had to pass one by one. 

Better call Saul
2 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Load of pish walked through it last week twice, over priced garbage.

Just back .....

Pretty much what the post  above said along with another poster saying ...prams blocking  ,Or people taking thier dogs and standing about ,  the stalls some of them colourful others just vastly overpriced bits and bobs that you can buy in Dobbies 75% cheaper 

Food looked OK 

Maroon Sailor

Can't be as bad as the person in front of you on an escalator blocking you at the top as they come off because they are standing still looking down at their phone - GTF out the way !

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Doctor FinnBarr

The best place to go (if travel restrictions get lifted) is Brussels, absolute great market and you might get to take in a Molenbeek game too.

The Real Maroonblood
7 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Just back .....

Pretty much what the post  above said along with another poster saying ...prams blocking  ,Or people taking thier dogs and standing about ,  the stalls some of them colourful others just vastly overpriced bits and bobs that you can buy in Dobbies 75% cheaper 

Food looked OK 

If Debbie’s is cheaper that proves how expensive the market is.

22 hours ago, fbjambo said:

There is a Christmas market on at Conifox (kirkliston) with local stall holders etc. not been yet so not sure what it’s like.

also have a Christmas experience for kids but think it might be sold out but the adventure park is open and they have a new soft play area. 

It appears some of the dates have been cancelled at this event. I did read somewhere online that people were not happy about the entry price, so better check if you were planning on going.

18 minutes ago, moshy said:

It appears some of the dates have been cancelled at this event. I did read somewhere online that people were not happy about the entry price, so better check if you were planning on going.

I think they originally charged but have cancelled that so now it is free. It was on when I look at FB on Friday - very confusing though as it does come up cancelled.  Not to far from me so I’ll pop along and see this weekend. Thanks 

Francis Albert
On 05/12/2021 at 09:00, Ked said:

🙂

Agree about theme park generic especially with west Princes Street gardens also a large funfair. George Street also ruined with ugly tents. With bars and restaurants struggling I  am sure the permanent businesses could do without the added competition.

Every German market (and they are everywhere) is much the same wherever you go. Crap but pricey trinkets on stalls, expensive food and drink, crowded and uncomfortable. Why not try a different theme? Maybe with some Scottish elements?

Naisys Tackle

Went on Saturday.  Santa’s Grotto/ice skating sold old.  £3-7 a go for literally 30 secs on anything for the children (£200 spent in about half hour) half hour que for anything at any market stalls and and a two hour wait at least for the big wheel. One way system a sham. Ended up missing the wheel, kids upset ran over to the kingdom of sweets place kid on was from one of the markets.  Job done.  Baltic too.  Kids loved it in general tho as was the shows and they got bus into town and a McDonald’s and missed it last year so was making up for lost time :) 

3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Agree about theme park generic especially with west Princes Street gardens also a large funfair. George Street also ruined with ugly tents. With bars and restaurants struggling I  am sure the permanent businesses could do without the added competition.

Every German market (and they are everywhere) is much the same wherever you go. Crap but pricey trinkets on stalls, expensive food and drink, crowded and uncomfortable. Why not try a different theme? Maybe with some Scottish elements?

I would think the market brings in as much custom for the surrounding businesses as it takes away, but that's pure guesswork on my part.

I was in town on Saturday night and went into Amber Rose for a drink. It was absolutely packed out.

Similar story next weekend where I'm out with the wife and it's very difficult to get booked into most places.

3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Heaven forbid they 'ruin' a street with temporary tents for a seasonal market.

3 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Went on Saturday.  Santa’s Grotto/ice skating sold old.  £3-7 a go for literally 30 secs on anything for the children (£200 spent in about half hour) half hour que for anything at any market stalls and and a two hour wait at least for the big wheel. One way system a sham. Ended up missing the wheel, kids upset ran over to the kingdom of sweets place kid on was from one of the markets.  Job done.  Baltic too.  Kids loved it in general tho as was the shows and they got bus into town and a McDonald’s and missed it last year so was making up for lost time :) 

How many sticks of Bananas did you buy to spend £200? Or do you have 20 kids?

Naisys Tackle
25 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

How many sticks of Bananas did you buy to spend £200? Or do you have 20 kids?

🤣 sweets was after all the attractions they went on.  5 kids mate. 

Is there actually anything German about the market any more? I haven’t been for years. You used to be able to buy some decent German sausage, cheeses etc. 

21 minutes ago, leginten said:

Is there actually anything German about the market any more? I haven’t been for years. You used to be able to buy some decent German sausage, cheeses etc. 

Bratwursts for miles

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Heaven forbid they 'ruin' a street with temporary tents for a seasonal market.

Temporarily ruin then. Add three weeks at Festival so temporarily squared.

Sorry I have a different opinion from yours!

I  had a walk through the market today and I must say the big German sausages look delicious. Bit pricey  at £7 though . Cant spell the name of them hence saying " big German sausages" and I like writing " big German sausages" anyway. 

Carl Fredrickson

Not a huge fan of the Edinburgh one though I do like Christmas markets. I havent been to any in Germany but I love the one in Lincoln. Used to visit it every year.

I try to support local Christmas fairs now and try to keep things local.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Not a huge fan of the Edinburgh one though I do like Christmas markets. I havent been to any in Germany but I love the one in Lincoln. Used to visit it every year.

I try to support local Christmas fairs now and try to keep things local.

I've been to a few in Germany and they're really good.

4 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Never really regarded George Steeet as being anything special.

5 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

How much does the market and festival in Edinburgh interfere with your day to day life?

On 05/12/2021 at 09:00, Ked said:

A rip off imo.

🙂

Well said. Love an evening in Edinburgh city centre in the winter months. Worth a nosey at the market if it's not too busy, but really not worth spending much time in. Fair play if you're an out of towner with little like it in your own place, but it's more or less the same shite you've done once before if you're a regular.

The big problem with Underbelly and their Embra Theme Park is that barely any of the money they take in actually stays in the locale.

Many of their stalls and staff come from outside the local area.

The cash goes back with them to wherever it is they come from.

It doesn't stay in Edinburgh.

The city as a whole barely sees any financial benefit at all.

The council barely makes anything because they roll over and let Underbelly tickle their tummies with threats of leaving the city forever if the council dare ask for more money (aye they'd leave this giant cash cow right enough).

If I was running the place it'd all be local businesses and local staff and all the money would stay right here in the city.