Squad Depth

bobby bombscare

bobby bombscare

feel like it has been over 10 years since we have had this kind of squad depth. When you look at the players we have waiting for their opportunity, the only places that are semi-guaranteed are Gordon, Boyce and smith (even then, Brandon fully fit may flourish in the wing back role rather than a traditional RB role so could be under threat come January seemed to look very promising in the wing back role under Stendal. 

My Question is, where is priority for strengthening in January and who would be better than what we have?

Maybe recall Henderson has he is on form? or Leave him to develop for the season and bring in someone else? 

Outside of that, I can't think of many other positions that are crying out for cover?

No quality 2nd choice keeper. We lose Gordon to injury and we're ****ed. 

No competition for Smith. 

Inconsistent Attacking Mids, maybe McKay is the only one who plays well often but doesn't have any goals and only 1 assist. 

No depth upfront.

I wouldn't say our squad is that good myself. Probably good enough for third but there's plenty of room for improvement. 

PhoenixHearts

Backup keeper and a striker with pace should be our priority.

Maybe a long term solution at right back (not too high on Brandon).

Decent young CB so we can eventually look to move Halkett on. Would also be insurance should Souttar leave early.

Any more tinkering round the edges is just to give us more depth.

bobby bombscare
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

No quality 2nd choice keeper. We lose Gordon to injury and we're ****ed. 

No competition for Smith. 

Inconsistent Attacking Mids, maybe McKay is the only one who plays well often but doesn't have any goals and only 1 assist. 

No depth upfront.

I wouldn't say our squad is that good myself. Probably good enough for third but there's plenty of room for improvement. 

I don’t know with the attacking mids. GMS for example.. blows hot and cold, but has scored a few, assisted a few but also some a fair amount of penalties too. 

Gino and MaKay as well are clearly good players. Also, still not seen walker on the ouch yet. We just need to get them shooting outside the box a bit more as they have both proved they can score goals in the past. Could be tactics not allowing them the opportunities? 

gordon is a worry though! 

bobby bombscare
37 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Backup keeper and a striker with pace should be our priority.

Maybe a long term solution at right back (not too high on Brandon).

Decent young CB so we can eventually look to move Halkett on. Would also be insurance should Souttar leave early.

Any more tinkering round the edges is just to give us more depth.

I wasn’t a fan of Brandon either. I mind watching him against Motherwell back in CL era and he looked like he should be playing in a pub league. Absolutely stinking and a total bombscare! But when he moved to wing back, he looked far, far better. Then he broke is leg! So I’m now 50/50 on him. 

bobby bombscare
1 hour ago, StevenNaismith said:

We are desperate for another striker to compete with Boyce.

Agreed. Bring back Hendo though? Scoring for fun in the third tier!

Edited by bobby bombscare

Other than Midfield our squad depth is terrible.

It's sickening to even think of the outcome of a Gordon injury.

If Soutter or Halkett are out then people are usually played out of position to cover to cover for them.

Boyce has no like for like cover, Gnando clearly isn't good enough.

7 hours ago, bobby bombscare said:

Agreed. Bring back Hendo though? Scoring for fun in the third tier!

Found his level 

Savages list to Santa:

• A capable, Steve Banks type, 'keeper happy to sit on the bench 99% of the season (and hopefully find a third rate club happy to take that Livi reject current filling the spot)
  • A striker capable of challenging Boyce for a starting spot
  • A wing back to challenge Smith
  • A backup/sub striker (and hopefully find a club who've never seen Gnando play who'll take a punt on him)

3 hours ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

If Soutter or Halkett are out then people are usually played out of position to cover to cover for them.

Gnamdo was an awful signing, I'm sure we got the wrong guy ?

56 minutes ago, FTH said:

Savages list to Santa:

• A capable, Steve Banks type, 'keeper happy to sit on the bench 99% of the season (and hopefully find a third rate club happy to take that Livi reject current filling the spot)
  • A backup/sub striker (and hopefully find a club who've never seen Gnando play who'll take a punt on him)

Yep. A Steve banks character looking for a decent final wage capable of pushing Gordon would be fantastic. 

8 hours ago, bobby bombscare said:

I don’t know with the attacking mids. GMS for example.. blows hot and cold, but has scored a few, assisted a few but also some a fair amount of penalties too. 

Gino and MaKay as well are clearly good players. Also, still not seen walker on the ouch yet. We just need to get them shooting outside the box a bit more as they have both proved they can score goals in the past. Could be tactics not allowing them the opportunities? 

gordon is a worry though! 

I think we need better attackers e.g. Strikers and Attacking mids. Need a 20 goal a season striker and attacking mids that are scoring 10-15. 

Clearly Walker who is the best finisher out of the lot of them, is miles out the picture. For what reason, I don't know. 

bobby bombscare
8 hours ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

Dunno, We have Moor and Harring (who has been a Cb his whole career until he came here) so we're not as short as we look and both of those players are decent. 

Boyce i 100% agree with. We need someone who can fill in that gap, even if they're not quite as good. Smith also has no decent cover at the moment but will have Brandon and Logan to contend with in January. LB has Cochran, Kingsley and Halliday who can all play there. All those are decent options IMO. Wingers, GMS, Gino and Woodburn are the main contenders, aye but Walker is waiting for his shot too and we know he is capable of some good stuff. In previous seasons, we had uche going off for Wighton and walker going off for Advijaj or whatever he was called... 

bobby bombscare
4 hours ago, FTH said:

Savages list to Santa:

Agree with this list! Although i would take a younger keeper who is happy to learn from Gordon and take over when he goes (maybe early 20's. Then if harry stone comes good, we can sell one and make profit, if Stone doesn't work out, we have a capable keeper who learned under Scotland's number one keeper. 

bobby bombscare
3 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I think we need better attackers e.g. Strikers and Attacking mids. Need a 20 goal a season striker and attacking mids that are scoring 10-15. 

Clearly Walker who is the best finisher out of the lot of them, is miles out the picture. For what reason, I don't know. 

No idea what happened to walker. Was scoring goals in the pre-season/cup games.. now can't get a start and only makes the bench on the odd occasion. Strange one!