Get Back......

JWL

Just finished watching the 3rd part of this Beatles epic. Been a long time since I've seen the Let It Be movie so this was a tough watch at times early on but if you're a Beatles fan it's a must see. Funny, informative and emotional and thoroughly enjoyable right up to the end where you know you've witnessed the final public performance of the world's greatest band.

5 minutes ago, JWL said:

Just finished watching the 3rd part of this Beatles epic. Been a long time since I've seen the Let It Be movie so this was a tough watch at times early on but if you're a Beatles fan it's a must see. Funny, informative and emotional and thoroughly enjoyable right up to the end where you know you've witnessed the final public performance of the world's greatest band.

Spolier Alert! 😂

I'm saving this for when I'm off over Christmas. The clips I've seen look and sound fantastic. 

Footballfirst
45 minutes ago, JWL said:

I'm only about two thirds through the 1st episode.  It's amazing to see creative talent at work. Certainly with Paul strumming a few chords and developing it into what we recognise as Get Back within minutes. Similarly when you hear Paul singing/playing Let It Be on the piano along with George on guitar in the background, while John and Ringo are discussing stage sets in the foreground. 

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

I'm only about two thirds through the 1st episode.  It's amazing to see creative talent at work. Certainly with Paul strumming a few chords and developing it into what we recognise as Get Back within minutes. Similarly when you hear Paul singing/playing Let It Be on the piano along with George on guitar in the background, while John and Ringo are discussing stage sets in the foreground. 

What got me was John singing a song called 'Road to Marrakesh' which later turned into 'Jealous Guy'. Lots of wee things like that that raised a smile. 

Superb documentary.

A lot has always been made of how Paul drove the wedge with how controlling he was but I just didn’t see it at all during the programme. I saw a driven and focused musician wanting to produce another superb album. 

A few really emotional moments in there, the joy on their faces when Billy started playing with them after they moved to Apple. He probably saved the album.

7 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Is this on TV?

Can I get on catch up

Was watching  Paul McCartney at the BBC earlier tonight.

Disney+

Салатные палочки

Going to start this tonight. Not a massive Beatles fan but still looking forward to it. 

Carl Fredrickson

I would not class myself as a huge Beatles fan but I do love a lot of their music. A few weeks ago I watched a show on Disney+ with Paul McCartney talking about his musical career and I found it engrossing. 

Get Back is long but I found the time passed really quickly. I found it a fascinating watch and the four of them together were not only ground-breaking but possibly the finest band of all time. 

Credit to Jackson (who is a huge Beatles fan) for the production and editing that has allowed this to be done so well.  

I don’t like the Beatles (minority, I know) but, I would watch this programme.

I sort of like a few of their songs, but nothing to get all Leeds United about.

I was brought with the Beatles and I love them but I don’t listen to much of there stuff now tbh but they influenced a lot of the band we all love  very good writers and musicians.  

thehibsareintheirbeds

Watched it last weekend over two nights and was blown away.

Love their albums, seen a few films and documentaries etc but not that clued up on everything that went on. So to see how yoko really was, paul/John dynamic, George leaving and then just seeing them make music was just brilliant.

Been craving tea and toast ever since

Just finished it. Phenomenal stuff from start to finish. Eight hours sounds like a slog, but it flies by. McCartney comes across much better than the general perception of him, Lennon and Yoko seem pretty strung out, on smack presumably. Harrison and Starr just seem lovely chaps. Great crew of extras too, Mal Evans especially is a legend. And Billy Preston, what a ****ing keyboard player! 

Edited by Craig_
Forgot about Billy Preston. How could I?!

11 hours ago, Craig_ said:

Just finished it. Phenomenal stuff from start to finish. Eight hours sounds like a slog, but it flies by. McCartney comes across much better than the general perception of him, Lennon and Yoko seem pretty strung out, on smack presumably. Harrison and Starr just seem lovely chaps. Great crew of extras too, Mal Evans especially is a legend. And Billy Preston, what a ****ing keyboard player! 

Did you notice the part where the camera was on Lennon when he took drugs out of his coat pocket? He clocked the camera at him, smiled and put it away :lol:

The perception of Paul has always been just that. In reality he's a workhorse with high demands and at times during the doc, it was literally just him and Ringo while John fannied about.

The public perception has been fed by the Lennon camp, Lennon good, McCartney bad! Working class hero and all that...

Can't wait.  I have seen numerous snippets on you tube and it has my pulses beating and juices flowing.

Genuises at work.

2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Did you notice the part where the camera was on Lennon when he took drugs out of his coat pocket? He clocked the camera at him, smiled and put it away :lol:

The perception of Paul has always been just that. In reality he's a workhorse with high demands and at times during the doc, it was literally just him and Ringo while John fannied about.

The public perception has been fed by the Lennon camp, Lennon good, McCartney bad! Working class hero and all that...

Think part of the problem, certainly for me who was born long after they split, is that McCartney's solo stuff is pretty mixed, whereas Lennon's is arguably more solid. Though having watched the film, I now realise that McCartney is a bona fide genius, and without his workrate The Beatles would've petered out long before Let It Be.

13 hours ago, Craig_ said:

The stroy of Mal Evans post Beatles is a dark one.

9 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Shot by American police after they raided his home I believe. From what I have read, again it was trigger happy cops. Always described in the books I've read as a gentle giant and genuinely kind man.

5 minutes ago, JWL said:

Shot by American police after they raided his home I believe. From what I have read, again it was trigger happy cops. Always described in the books I've read as a gentle giant and genuinely kind man.

Yeah, was seemingly wired to the moon at the time.  Died without a pot to piss in and could not get on with life post the Beatles.

Wouldn't say trigger happy though as they asked him 4 times to put down his weapon (they never knew it was an air rifle).

Edited by i8hibsh

24 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Yeah, was seemingly wired to the moon at the time.  Died without a pot to piss in and could not get on with life post the Beatles.

Wouldn't say trigger happy though as they asked him 4 times to put down his weapon (they never knew it was an air rifle).

Yeah, pretty much as I read it. Tragic story.

1 hour ago, Craig_ said:

Think part of the problem, certainly for me who was born long after they split, is that McCartney's solo stuff is pretty mixed, whereas Lennon's is arguably more solid. Though having watched the film, I now realise that McCartney is a bona fide genius, and without his workrate The Beatles would've petered out long before Let It Be.

Totally agree. Although Paul has some belters in his solo work as well to be fair. But yeah, Paul was the main man in The Beatles as far as I'm concerned.

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

I'm not too familiar with his story, will need to check it out.

Know a handful of their songs thanks to The Beatles Rockband game but never really watched any shows or know the chronological order of their releases to understand where they were at.

Watched the first of 3 last night and in general it was enjoyable and will be watching the rest. Not sure what they cover in parts 2 and 3 but there were some patches where it was mor exist background noise. Not much happening.

Very ineresting to see them in their natural habitat though. Almost as if the TV cameras weren't there for the majority of it. 

Why is this stuff only just being released?

8 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Know a handful of their songs thanks to The Beatles Rockband game but never really watched any shows or know the chronological order of their releases to understand where they were at.

Watched the first of 3 last night and in general it was enjoyable and will be watching the rest. Not sure what they cover in parts 2 and 3 but there were some patches where it was mor exist background noise. Not much happening.

Very ineresting to see them in their natural habitat though. Almost as if the TV cameras weren't there for the majority of it. 

Why is this stuff only just being released?

There was an original Let it Be film released in 1970 and this is just all the footage that was re-discovered a few years back. 

heartgarfunkel

Never been a huge Beatles fan but watched the first one with my 16 year old laddie - it is outstanding.  Their individual and collective talent is off the scale.  The boy cracked up when he saw the first random Buddhist monk geezer in the background (pal of George?), then lost it when the second random one appeared.😆  Also enjoyed 'Harrisong' quip, the genuine talent of Ringo, and the intense virtuoso of McCartney creating 'Get Back' in front of your eyes and ears.  Made me feel quite emotional, I was born the year after the filming, and they are such a cultural reference that the film brought many passed away loved ones back to life for me in terms of what they said/thought about the Beatles. Was dubious before I watched it and now I'm hooked!

A Boy Named Crow

I've always loved the Beatles, but I've never seen them as 'real people' until I watched this.  It was mesmerising! 

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

1 hour ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

I've always loved the Beatles, but I've never seen them as 'real people' until I watched this.  It was mesmerising! 

Good way of putting it. Same for me. Always represented either performing or clips just showing Beatlemania.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/12/2021 at 09:22, hmfc_liam06 said:

Lennon was no more a working class hero than Rees Mogg  is.  Seems to be a myth that's been peddled for years. I am a big Beatles fan ( they got me started in playing) and I like a lot of their solo stuff. Was never a fan of Lennon as a person ( loved a lot of his music ) he seemed up himself a lot of the time. I remember reading that he told Epstein to get rid of Pete Best, they didn't have the balls to tell the guy face to face. Anyhoo I digress I would love to see the documentary but don't have Disney + , so will need to wait a while....🥴🥴

3 minutes ago, micole said:

Lennon was no more a working class hero than Rees Mogg  is.  Seems to be a myth that's been peddled for years. I am a big Beatles fan ( they got me started in playing) and I like a lot of their solo stuff. Was never a fan of Lennon as a person ( loved a lot of his music ) he seemed up himself a lot of the time. I remember reading that he told Epstein to get rid of Pete Best, they didn't have the balls to tell the guy face to face. Anyhoo I digress I would love to see the documentary but don't have Disney + , so will need to wait a while....🥴🥴

Don't worry about getting Disney+, it's a bit of a mickey mouse channel. :)

Edited by ri Alban

4 hours ago, micole said:

Yeah it was sarcasm on my part. PmC is the working class of the two, never had a penny to rub together growing up.

Carl Fredrickson
5 hours ago, micole said:

It is worth paying for a month of D+ for Get Back and 3,2,1, McCartney. Both excellent viewing

26 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

It is worth paying for a month of D+ for Get Back and 3,2,1, McCartney. Both excellent viewing

Hawkeye, Loki and The Mandalorian aren't half bad either . Plus Boba Fett is out soon .

1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I’ve got almost 3 weeks off over the next month so I’ve renewed my Disney+ membership to catch up on loads of stuff on it I’ve missed.