Tony Watt

chrystaf

4 hours ago, Deodato said:

Interesting. I hadn't contemplated putting him into the National team, but on current form - he's worth a shout. 

If he keeps it up, there is absolutely no reason he shouldn't be in contention for the Scotland job. 

I doubt he can keep it up though. I am very willing to be proved wrong! 

queensferryjambo
12 hours ago, chrystaf said:

He's on fire at the moment.  Why did CL not manage to get this type of performance out of him?

Why did nobody get this type of performance out of him for the decade of mediocrity he has spent in football?

The answer is simple he never applied himself, his decision making in games was terrible, he was apparently super immature in training and around coaching staff (farting in team talks etc.), when he played for us he looked great - when he was 40 yards away from goal doing flicks and tricks and never actually doing anything of note that helped us in a game.

Nobody has ever denied Watt has great ability, the only problem is it has taken him 10 years to mature enough to direct his ability into anything close to useful.

He may go on and have a great season maybe a few great seasons, but he will be 28 this month in his 12th season of playing top flight football at 12 clubs and not much in they way of appearances and goals to show for it. I predict this is a purple patch that won't last though. 

If you want to put his career into perspective Jamie Walker has played more first team games and scored more goals in less time.

13 hours ago, chrystaf said:

He's on fire at the moment.  Why did CL not manage to get this type of performance out of him?

paired with the fish, nightmare

Tony Watt has skill, natural ability in abundance but he spent his whole time with us playing like he was down the pitz playing 5 a side foot all, head down, trying to take everyone on and ignoring teammates. 

Glad he has finally found a club where he can be the big fish and needed to be the main man but he was not ready for that when he was with us and not sure he has the mentality to keep it up 

On 04/12/2021 at 18:25, chrystaf said:

That sitter, (header), he missed against Celtic was enough for us to empty him......

17 hours ago, chrystaf said:

Seem to remember his spell with us  was Neilson/Cathro and Cathro felt Tony Watt didnt play to agreed match tactics

Watt started out pretty decent at Hearts but as with lots of players that arrived over the last few years, he fell away after a couple of months, a trait that was a familiar sight in those years. Start well, fail shortly after. It didn't help that he was being asked to play deeper and deeper as his time at Hearts went on. He was almost playing in front of the defenders by the end. Plenty talent and ability but for me he arrived at Hearts at the wrong time. Could've been a great player for us and now showing at Motherwell what he's got to offer. Scotland need the best players we have available and Watt might just do a turn.

Just now, Disco Ball said:

Seem to remember his spell with us  was Neilson/Cathro and Cathro felt Tony Watt didnt play to agreed match tactics

Like i said in my post above, he was told to drop deeper and deeper so not surprising to me if he didn't like the tactics, he was a forward. I think there were a few more that didn't like the way they were being told to play at the time.

6 hours ago, jambonian said:

Like i said in my post above, he was told to drop deeper and deeper so not surprising to me if he didn't like the tactics, he was a forward. I think there were a few more that didn't like the way they were being told to play at the time.

My son who I have been going to Hearts games with anywhere we play for 35 years feels Tony Watt is the most technically gifted player he has seen in a Hearts Jersey .... not sure where he was during Rudi's games but ok 

King Of The Cat Cafe
21 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

If he had scored that header v Celtic I wonder if he would have kicked on.

👍

Those were my exact thought at the time...

He was rubbish for us. He was constantly dropping far too deep and would dribble around for a bit before either being tackled or giving the ball away with a poor pass.

19 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Didn't we play him more of an attacking midfielder? 

He is playing in this role now behind van veen. Do think this period of form will be short lived 

Naisys Tackle
20 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

He is playing in this role now behind van veen. Do think this period of form will be short lived 

I thought he was playing wide left.

The talent is there I think tbh to keep it up and I hope he does.  He seems a good guy. 

Could say that with loads of strikers at hearts 

Levein doesn’t do goals 

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

He's got skill for sure but the boy's not right. I heard directly from someone who was around the first team at the time he was here that not only was he the most immature processional they'd ever seen, he was probably the most immature adult man they'd ever come across. Apparently it was like having a child in the team. 

On 04/12/2021 at 20:57, Bongo 1874 said:

Juanma's attitude was stinking but boy could definitely score goals, needed to get that arsehole side out his game, were he would go down like he had been shot and opposition found it easy to wind him up, a shit morelos tbh but he did score goals. 

Sow was great but that time the elbow in the Derby, and we relied on him a bit to much, was very injury prone too. 

We have Neil Alexander to thank for getting him. 

It was Steven Pressley we have to thank…..he recommended Sow to Hearts whilst he was on trial at Coventry City.

• 3 weeks later...
Byyy The Light

Be interesting to see how he gets on with Van Veen. Whenever I’ve watched Motherwell it’s him that created all the space for Watt

On 05/12/2021 at 00:54, Smith's right boot said:

If he had scored that header v Celtic I wonder if he would have kicked on.

Was easier to score than miss....

1 minute ago, StevenNaismith said:

Dundee Utd have really pushed the boat out on him, heard he will be earning 4.5k a week which is crazy for them.

Sure I read shankland was on 8k.

Pasquale for King

Talented player, a bit lazy for Neilson though. He has shown a hunger against us that I’ve not seen from him before. 
Strange that he’s leaving Motherwell at this point as you would think he would have enough experience of moving clubs to realise it doesn’t always work. 

Pasquale for King
On 06/12/2021 at 06:51, DH1986 said:

It was Steven Pressley we have to thank…..he recommended Sow to Hearts whilst he was on trial at Coventry City.

His old team mate Alexander also had a hand in it. 

Ex member of the SaS

Watt stated he was very happy with the set up at Motherwell and enjoying his time there, yet jumps ship to DD utd? Seems a bit strange.

Tokyo Drifter

Wasn't just us that couldn't get him to play, it was every club he has ever been at.

49 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Talented player, a bit lazy for Neilson though. He has shown a hunger against us that I’ve not seen from him before. 
Strange that he’s leaving Motherwell at this point as you would think he would have enough experience of moving clubs to realise it doesn’t always work. 

No question in weakens Motherwell and as you correctly imply he may well fail to settle at Utd. One to watch with interest.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

No question in weakens Motherwell and as you correctly imply he may well fail to settle at Utd. One to watch with interest.

Maybe giving Alexander too much credit for getting the best out of him. Maybe Watt has grown up, certainly looks more muscular now too. 
If it helps us keep Motherwell off our tail it’s all good I suppose. 

Glamorgan Jambo

Not long after he left us he was bizarrely pulled back up to a press conference publicising the Scottish Cup draw where very clearly the bone the SFA had thrown at the Weegia was that Watt might have some tasty dirt to dispense regarding his spell with us. 

To his great credit he didn’t take the bait. Despite looking desperately uncomfortable and unsettled to the point I had serious concerns about his mental stability etc.

A very talented footballer but a very disturbed individual. Without a single bad bone in his body. Hope it works out for him.