Tony Watt

chrystaf

I’m the first to have a dig at CL where it’s appropriate but the only person that’s held TW back in his career is himself. Form has been sporadic (being kind) throughout his whole career. 

Fairly simple one, he's matured, entering his prime and is settled at a club with low expectations.  Was always clear he had talent, even now if we took him back he would be a bit part player and most likely revert to his inconsistent form.

I didn't mind Tony Watt when he was with us.  He just seemed to be playing far too deep and was always tracking back.  He was very hardworking but needed to be more selfish and stay in the opposition box more.

17 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

He's on fire at the moment.  Why did CL not manage to get this type of performance out of him?

He's on fire. Why did Tony Watt not manage to get this type of performance out of himself. Robbie Neilson not Craig Levein was manager then Ian Cathro didn't play him then he left back to Charlton.

He got ample chance at Hearts though he was often played out wide. Johnsen was favoured as our centre forward mainly.

Watt himself put it down to fitness after injuries. Maybe it's more he is fully fit now. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/sport/football/tony-watt-i-dont-think-i-was-hearts-failure-1456458%3famp

I think he's said himself that he went through a period when his "head" wasn't really in the game. Now he's really into it again and it's working for him. Shame it wasn't with us, but sometimesthat's how it goes.

I thought Watt, even though he never scored much, was decent for Hearts. I was quite disappointed Cathro let him go at the time.

He's always had ability, he needed somewhere he could settle and not move every 6 months. That, combined with him maturing a bit is seeing his fulfil some of his potential. I'm quite glad for him. 

Tony Watt has always been a good player. Didn't score much for us but he had a few games where he was unplayable. Seems to have matured a lot and he's making the most of it now. 

gorgie al 1960
40 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

I didn't mind Tony Watt when he was with us.  He just seemed to be playing far too deep and was always tracking back.  He was very hardworking but needed to be more selfish and stay in the opposition box more.

spot on mate 

1 hour ago, chrystaf said:

He's on fire at the moment.  Why did CL not manage to get this type of performance out of him?

He wasn't the manager. Another mystery solved.

It's his annual purple patch.

Let's see if he keeps it up, but he hasn't managed to do that at any of the many clubs he's been at. 

His attitude is/was minging, so hopefully he has finally grown up and matured.  Scotland are desperate for a decent goalscorer, and the competition is few and far between. 

I remember him from a calendar signing, came across as a welt. Football wise lots of skill and thought he would have done better with us.

Absolute Scenes

Neilson got him playing and slotting well into our team. Didn’t score many but definitely contributed to the team. Things went south when Cathro arrived. But aye bring in Levein why not 😂

He'll self destruct soon enough.

He's not the first talented player who's not got the IQ to maximize his talent and he won't be the last.

Actually don't like players like him that waste their talent.

been here before

He's played for about 800 clubs, scoring 1 goal v Barcelona and now having a decent run of games.

Thats about it really.

I am always happy to have a go at a former Hearts player, even happier when he rams it back at me against them *****.

A thing of Poetry and Beauty

I thought he was distinctly average today,   sure he got his goal, but he had a lot of very good opportunities especially 1st half and looked pretty poor.    On a good run though I agree.  

InternationalJambo

I said it on another thread midweek that he seems to have finally matured. The laddie is coming to the peak of his career and is versatile, he would be a great option to bring in to rotate with Boyce as they are of similar ilk. You're not going to get many strikers of his quality on a free and cheapish wages. Give him 2 year deal to redeem himself and hopefully we are getting a motivated player determined to prove himself as it'll be his last chance before his career goes on the downward. 

Wasn't happy at us. 

loveofthegame

Good football player. His talent was unbelievably obvious even in a fairly average spell with us. One of many talented footballers who hasn’t got what it takes between the ears to make the most of his talent. It often takes more than talent alone to get to the very top. He’s having an excellent season and if it continues he’ll end up at a Hibs or Aberdeen I suspect. At which point he hopefully reverts to previous seasons….

Ask yourself what sort of player is Gnanduillet, then you have you're answer. 

The Grim Reaper
4 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Ask yourself what sort of player is Gnanduillet, then you have you're answer. 

That’s some deep shit Bongo 

Just now, The Grim Reaper said:

True bro 

I would class Juanma, Sow, Boyce as a success. 

Juanma and Sow, did have ability but more targetmen tbh, Boyce is the best we have had in a long time can do a bit of everything. 

Just now, The Grim Reaper said:

That’s some deep shit Bongo 

Juanma's attitude was stinking but boy could definitely score goals, needed to get that arsehole side out his game, were he would go down like he had been shot and opposition found it easy to wind him up, a shit morelos tbh but he did score goals. 

Sow was great but that time the elbow in the Derby, and we relied on him a bit to much, was very injury prone too. 

We have Neil Alexander to thank for getting him. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

From what I recall of Watt, he seemed to badly need a goal. Its like the longer he went without one the more pressure was on his head and he struggled to cope with that. Coupled with that he had awful striking partners - Sammon 😐 so was never going to be getting much opportunities to score. I think as others have pointed out he was being played far, far, far too deep. 

I hate this culture of taking a striker and asking them to not play as a striker then wondering why they can't score goals. 

Would I take him back? Probably not. If we signed him, I'd not be annoyed though. Think someone younger with more potential might be a better idea. I get the feeling that Watt is a tough player to coach, someone like Zak Rudden for example would absolutely love to have Naisy coaching him and working one on one with him IMO. I get the feeling he's a bit of a bad trainer etc. and thats why he's done zilch since leaving Celtic. 

3 hours ago, chrystaf said:

Because he wasn't the manager?

14 minutes ago, Locky said:

Because he wasn't the manager?

I may have got that wrong, but I had a long conversation with CL at a plot ceremony when he expressed frustration with Hearts inability to get the best out of Watt.  "A brilliant player but his own worst enemy" was his comment.

27 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

I may have got that wrong, but I had a long conversation with CL at a plot ceremony when he expressed frustration with Hearts inability to get the best out of Watt.  "A brilliant player but his own worst enemy" was his comment.

He clearly has talent, but at Hearts he just didn't seem interested tbh. I get where CL was coming from.

2 hours ago, tian447 said:

His attitude is/was minging, so hopefully he has finally grown up and matured.  Scotland are desperate for a decent goalscorer, and the competition is few and far between. 

Interesting. I hadn't contemplated putting him into the National team, but on current form - he's worth a shout. 

you just know that if we went out and re-signed him he would turn out rubbish for us, maybe he just suits the the club and system that motherwell play? good luck to him but i actually think we could get someone better.

The White Cockade
18 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I agree. If he had scored with that header against Celtic at Tynecastle then things may have turned out differently. 

I thought he was a pretty good player and was disappointed when it didn't work out either.

Mind you I always thought James Keatings was a good player for us too.....

Keatings was great for us that season

Right man right place right time

Done nothing since

Tony watt is a confidence player. He seemed up for doing well at us but his first few games didn't go great and his confidence dropped. If he'd got a goal in his first couple of games, I think we would have seen a different player.

Top scorer in the league playing for Motherwell is a phenomenal achievement.