Veg

Morgan

Prompted by @spirt of 98 in the Fruit thread, I start another.

What do we think of vegetables?

Broccoli and (how seasonal am I?) Brussel sprouts, are the bees knees.

Just now, Morgan said:

Veg is rank only eat it cause it’s good for you! If it was not full of vitamins I wouldn’t eat that vile Tam White 

Just now, spirt of 98 said:

Veg is rank only eat it cause it’s good for you! If it was not full of vitamins I wouldn’t eat that vile Tam White 

At least, between us, we’ve got a thread started. 👍

Just now, AlimOzturk said:

A big bowl of veg soup :wow:

Just now, AlimOzturk said:

A big bowl of veg soup :wow:

I do like veg soup. More so hate just cooked carrots broccoli etc with your dinner 

1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

Corn (both cob and regular corn) my favourite veg. All veg is amazing apart from cabbage. 🤮

Corn on the Cob, with butter, salt and pepper.  :yas: 

Just now, Morgan said:

Corn on the Cob, with butter, salt and pepper.  :yas: 

The beauty of corn on the cob is you can have all sorts of flavours. Garlic butter, chilli flakes, paprika..list is endless. But just salt and butter is tremendous as well. 

20 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Someone is going to mention chips.

I just know it.

I just know who it’ll be.

😇

To be fair I did select it in the starters thread. 
I like most veg and will eat it if it’s on a plate but can’t stand sprouts or asparagus. Also the weirdos like aubergine and okra won’t be tolerated. 

15 minutes ago, Tazio said:

To be fair I did select it in the starters thread. 
I like most veg and will eat it if it’s on a plate but can’t stand sprouts or asparagus. Also the weirdos like aubergine and okra won’t be tolerated. 

Me too, but have to admit to not eating enough of it.   Scientifically proven that frozen veg is just as good (if not better) for you than fresh stuff out the supermarket, so a bag of mixed veg in the freezer is a must.    Favourites are corn on the cob, asparagus, red pepper and spinach - recently started eating pak choi too  (a mild flavour).  Another good way of getting your veg intake  is making a simple slaw with finely chopped strips of pickled  cabbage, red onion & carrot in a dressing of your choice with seasoning.

Aubergine is the king. Sliced and fried in olive oil until nicely caramelised on both sides. Orgasmic.

Edited by leginten

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Someone is going to mention chips.

I just know it.

I just know who it’ll be.

😇

What chips with pot noo🤮dles 

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Broccoli 

:verysmug:

Green beans 

:nojustno:

Edited by Des Lynam

I was raised in a home where whatever was put on the table was there to be eaten. There was no choice, the plate must be cleared including vegetables of which there were a considerable amount. My wife often  when in company someone mentioned their husband had things he just would not eat, Esther would respond how she was lucky her husband had been raised to eat what was put in front of him, and still done so. It made meal content and preparation free of stress.

Edited by Sharpie

9 hours ago, Morgan said:

I love turnip, had haggis with it last night.

love sprouts , green beans, pees, any veg .

I love broccoli 

cauliflower

asparagus 

green beans 

spinach

lettuce 

cabbage.  

sweetcorn 

I often have them with other foods but stopped eating tatties last year as they make you fat really and its a myth that they are needed on  plate with meat and veg. I just have meat or chicken or fish with veg.,  However i do sometimes treat myself to chips.

16 hours ago, Sharpie said:

I was raised in a home where whatever was put on the table was there to be eaten. There was no choice, the plate must be cleared including vegetables of which there were a considerable amount. My wife often  when in company someone mentioned their husband had things he just would not eat, Esther would respond how she was lucky her husband had been raised to eat what was put in front of him, and still done so. It made meal content and preparation free of stress.

Likewise. Trouble was, the veg was all cooked in a pressure cooker, so boiled to within an inch of its life. Took me years to get over that and start enjoying veg again! 

20 hours ago, Morgan said:

Brussells and cabbage, well peppered are always my favourites. Like nice broccoli and in season asparagus too.

Looking forward to my Xmas sprouts.

Sliced, par-boiled, drained then added to a frying pan that's been crisping up some lardons of bacon.
Add some thinly sliced garlic, cook for another minute or two then add a wee bit chicken stock and a decent knob of butter along with plenty black pepper.

Cook for another couple of minutes.

Serve.

:yas:

Fxxx the SPFL
2 hours ago, Cade said:

Sliced, par-boiled, drained then added to a frying pan that's been crisping up some lardons of bacon.
Add some thinly sliced garlic, cook for another minute or two then add a wee bit chicken stock and a decent knob of butter along with plenty black pepper.

Serve.

Top nosh

3 hours ago, Cade said:

Serve.

I’ve been pushing sprouts on here for years, Cade.  👍

They are, without a doubt, my favourite vegetable.

Good wee recipe there, btw.  

Xmas coleslaw is also a nice wee recipe for the dreaded Sprouts.

Finely shred your raw sprouts and quickly marinade them for a few minutes in some vinegar, salt and sugar (any vinegar will do, your choice of flavours).

Meanwhile, shred some carrots, kohlrabi and (optional) cooked beetroot.

Drain off the vinegar from the sprouts, throw it all together with a few big spoonfuls of mayonnaise and a wee bit of cranberry sauce.

Best on boxing day with leftover cold cuts of the Xmas roast.

:verysmug:

A Boy Named Crow

All veg is tremendous. Notable mentions to mushrooms, eggplant/aubergine,  celery, capsicum/peppers, asparagus,  broccolini, sweet potato...

Good

Asparagus, peas, corn, lettuce (all types), cucumber, green beans, green and red peppers, mushrooms, raw carrot (if grated), sugar snap peas, bok choi and most other chinese leafy vegetables, raw cabbage, spinach, bean sprouts, onion, 

Ok

Brocolli and cauliflower, okra, sweet potato

Nah

Turnip, cooked carrot, brussel sprouts