Callum Patterson

the Hearts way

9 hours ago, benny said:

Robbo won his 16 Scotland caps second time around.

Well he was never going to win them as a 21 year old - not with the likes of Roxburgh and Brown managing.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• the Hearts way

• Bongo 1874

• Spellczech

• Aussie Jambo

Geoff Kilpatrick
42 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Stats bear it out

image.png.48c6cd02c7d0f9d50d5b55c67333470e.png

With no allowance for Robbo playing initially in the second tier?

Nelly Terraces

Whilst I just don' see it happening for various reasons, would I have this guy back at the club, **** yeah I would, strong, powerful& athletic, everything the game is about these days, never gives anything but 100% every time he crosses the white line, and on his day has the skillset to win games.

I watched the game he scored 2 at Fester Rd in the relegation season & both his goals were due to perfect positioning in the box but above all,the strength & desire to get his head on the ball plus the skill to get them both on target. At this time, we've nobody like that in our squad 

Would Callum Paterson improve us now - YES.

57 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

With no allowance for Robbo playing initially in the second tier?

Thats his Hearts career in the top league. If I included the first division or other clubs you'd be using that to dismiss the stats...

Geoff Kilpatrick
51 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Thats his Hearts career in the top league. If I included the first division or other clubs you'd be using that to dismiss the stats...

Fair enough. I assumed it was from his debut. Either way, I'd still argue that second era Robbo was better than the first - in the early 90s as he moved into the veteran era, the Hearts teams he stood out in were bang mediocre.

18 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Never wanted any player back except Robbo, Gordon and Rudy TBH...and TBH Robbo wasn't as good second time round

So you'd have preferred that Colquhoun, MacPherson, and Bannon hadn't returned to the club?

Edited by Auld Reekin'

25 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

So you'd have preferred that Colquhoun, MacPherson, and Bannon hadn't returned to the club?

If 2+2 equals 5 then yes. I wasn't that fussed about any returning but MacPherson was one who changed my mind and so was Webster...there are few players whom I get attached to in the way that others seem to...

On 08/12/2021 at 09:38, AGoodLaugh said:

Slight nitpick but when he signed Wednesday had just been given a 12 point deduction for financial issues (later reduced to 6 points), so they certainly weren't playing for promotion. What that means for how much he's on, I've no idea. 

I could be mistaken but I'd thought his current contract was signed with Cardiff which was then transferred to Wednesday.

Edited by Led Tasso

4 hours ago, Spellczech said:

They were not famed for playing youngsters

4 hours ago, Spellczech said:

They were not famed for playing youngsters

Jock Stein was the manager when Robbo was 21.

5 minutes ago, benny said:

Jock Stein was the manager when Robbo was 21.

And he played Mo Johnston 23, Steve Archibald 29 & Kenny Dalglish 34 

• 1 year later...
Big John Colquhoun
2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Remember folk says ng we didn't need him.  This is the physically weakest hearts team of all time 

Guarantee he’d have won that header at the back post that they scored from.

Sibbick amd Rowles don’t really attack the ball in the air, they’re not players who dominate the edge of the penalty box. A must to be a good centre back in Scotland.

Could do with Calum in this team for his ability in the air alone.

1 minute ago, Big John Colquhoun said:

Sibbick amd Rowles don’t really attack the ball in the air, they’re not players who dominate the edge of the penalty box. A must to be a good centre back in Scotland.

I have a laundry list of questions on why we're recruiting defenders that can't head a ball.... 

Big John Colquhoun
7 minutes ago, OTT said:

I have a laundry list of questions on why we're recruiting defenders that can't head a ball.... 

It’s so f@cking bizarre isn’t it.

F***** about all January trying to sign him, Sheff Wed ripping the piss out of us, it was never on in a million years with the money he was on.

Should have used the time to replace Halkett instead.

15 minutes ago, Big John Colquhoun said:

Spot on! I have never seen a Hearts team so weak in the air! Other teams know it and the pump the ball into our box at every opportunity!

Aberdeen had the same problem but they went out in Jan and signed two big defenders!

Failure to replace Halkett has proven to be a huge mistake!

Big John Colquhoun
6 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Spot on! I have never seen a Hearts team so weak in the air! Other teams know it and the pump the ball into our box at every opportunity!

Aberdeen had the same problem but they went out in Jan and signed two big defenders!

Failure to replace Halkett has proven to be a huge mistake!

And we went out in January and got…Hill.

4 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

He’s a must sign 

I’ve said for a very long time - he’s what we need 

I think he'd fit very well into the kind of side/ approach that we had yesterday. Would add more aerial power and would bully defences, at least based on when I last saw him.

Gorgierools
5 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

I think he'd fit very well into the kind of side/ approach that we had yesterday. Would add more aerial power and would bully defences, at least based on when I last saw him.

Savage, before the Aberdeen 5-0 game was adamant that he was coming, just a case of when.

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

I don’t think he’d fit into that team yesterday at all.  We weren’t playing long high balls, we played good passing football at a high tempo and he wouldn’t start ahead of Shankland, Gino or McKay and possibly even Boyce.  Only place I’d play him is at RWB but that’s no good if we’re playing 4 at the back.  A good squad player but maybe not on the wages he’d command.  

1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I don’t think he’d fit into that team yesterday at all.  We weren’t playing long high balls, we played good passing football at a high tempo and he wouldn’t start ahead of Shankland, Gino or McKay and possibly even Boyce.  Only place I’d play him is at RWB but that’s no good if we’re playing 4 at the back.  A good squad player but maybe not on the wages he’d command.  

I agree.

4 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

If Wednesday go up and want him to stay, they'll be able to pay far more than we ever can. 

Do you not think they will need massive upgrades in their squad to survive?

Roxy Hearts
5 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

If Wednesday go up and want him to stay, they'll be able to pay far more than we ever can. 

If he comes back it won't be for money. Could be family reasons and that he loves Tynecastle 😊

Jambo 4 Ever
On 09/12/2021 at 10:04, Spellczech said:

Well he was never going to win them as a 21 year old - not with the likes of Roxburgh and Brown managing.

To be fair Brown was a good scotland manager - great record 

SwindonJambo
59 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Do you not think they will need massive upgrades in their squad to survive?

Of course they will but he can earn much more as a Championship Squad player with Wednesday than as a 1sy team regular with us. He may, of course, have non financial reasons for wanting a return North.

SwindonJambo
1 hour ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

To be fair Brown was a good scotland manager - great record 

The football was dire though. And both were very poor at giving youth a chance. Robbo didn't even get a cap until he was nearly 26!

When Brown left, he left his successor with an old squad and it all went tits up thereafter.

3 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Of course they will but he can earn much more as a Championship Squad player with Wednesday than as a 1sy team regular with us. He may, of course, have non financial reasons for wanting a return North.

You would have thought that if he is coming here he would have signed a pre-contract around the new year.